Gravel wheelset on hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

New question here. Gravel wheelset on hardtail

Guys, hi

Looking for advice.
    Got a nice wheelset - alu ZIPP30 DB clincher (21mm inner and 25mm out width)
    and want to put it on hardtail. How do you think? will it work? is it safe? what are the difference between gravel and hardtail wheels?

Plan is to do some 20-100km long rides on roads and trails in forest and fields, some marathons, maybe backpacking etc, no jumping or other great snakes extreme use.

The plan was to put it on gravel bike for 2019 summer season, but i had bought a carbon hardtail for winter and now don't need any gravel at all.

Hardtail + pure road bike are all i need in my garage. Gonna sell gravel bike now.

Thanks in advance,
    hugs

mtbr member
    First up welcome, second links to what you're asking about are always a good idea, most (myself included) don't usually feel like searching the web to try and figure out what you're asking about

As to the wheels, if you have them, give them a go, then you'll know how they work, absolutely no reason not to, just don't use a tyre wider than 2.3" and you should be good. If it were me, unless I was a real light weight of say <140lbs, I'd want something with more than 24 spokes for off road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    If you're keeping the bike on the ground, I see no reason not to use these wheels. The distinction between "gravel" riding and basic trail riding isn't all that sharp. If you're not getting airborne and if you run sufficient tire pressure to avoid rim strikes, you'll probably get thousands of miles of use from that wheelset.

mtbr member
    Do the hubs fit the frames?
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    https://www.zipp.com/wheels/30-cours...ake-clincher/#
    This wheelset?
    I'll echo the other guys, if they fit the bike (biggest concern possibly?) and if you are relatively gentle to the wheels with your bikepacking/riding plans, then they probably will work fine.
    Think of your "actual" uses, i.e. riding style (smooth, rough) and terrain (manicured, rock gardens), and then that will help you decide. Also consider that "if" something were to happen out on the trail, will it be a bigger issue than a different wheelset (mostly thinking the lower spoke count thing here)
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    As to the wheels, if you have them, give them a go, then you'll know how they work, absolutely no reason not to, just don't use a tyre wider than 2.3" and you should be good. If it were me, unless I was a real light weight of say <140lbs, I'd want something with more than 24 spokes for off road.
    Thanks a lot friend. I am 85kg. I decided to give a try and ask here about wheels because for me gravel means offroad also. You know all these stones, sand and forest trails. Not a fragile wheels for cafe riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager
    Do the hubs fit the frames?
    I got boost 148 frame but with regular QR fork, so FW works great and for RW i've ordered chineese adapter to make 142 to 148.

Quote Originally Posted by E.Bryant
    If you're keeping the bike on the ground, I see no reason not to use these wheels. The distinction between "gravel" riding and basic trail riding isn't all that sharp. If you're not getting airborne and if you run sufficient tire pressure to avoid rim strikes, you'll probably get thousands of miles of use from that wheelset
    Thanks a lot, deep inside i wished to receive such comment. Love how they looks a lot.

C__Corax
    Sep 2009
    do it, I put 29er wheels on my gravel bike so I can fit fatter tires, and run tubeless.