Front DHR II 29x2.4 and?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Front DHR II 29x2.4 and?

Rear - Aggressor 29x2.3 or DHR II 29x2.3?

Any one tried both as rear tires (with DHR II up front) and can share input?

Thx, Mo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've done both, I prefer the grip and rear braking of the 2.3 DHR. Does take a little more to peddle it.

mtbr member
    What terrain are you riding?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Overall it's trail-AM style of riding, mostly 15-20 mile singletracks, some are techi some are flowy. I'm also riding desert trails which include rocks and steep descents.

Wheels are 29 Specialized Roval alloy, 29mm inner width.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    You might want to try a Rekon I currently ride a dhr2 front and an aggressor rear and the aggressor isnít particularly fun in the wet and after chasing a a guy on a DHR2/Rekon setup he seemed far more comfortable on the wet rocks we get in NewEngland

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    DHF 2.5 front and rear, rides great, better that DHR or HHR.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    DHF 2.5 front and rear, rides great, better that DHR or HHR.
    Did you not read the first post?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    1. SE4 - fast, grippy but expensive and an fast wearing in the desert.
    2. 2.3 Aggressor - very good tire, but a little squared off on a 29iw rim.
    3. Morza - heavy but fast
    4. Eliminator GRID - I have the 2.6 on the rear which is a little too much tire for me. May try the 2.3 in the future.
    5. New Butcher GRID Trail - ?

Trying to find that sweet spot 900-950 gram 2.4ish rear tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Deleted post.
    Last edited by Radium; 12-15-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: delete response. (not enuf coffee yet)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    OK. sufficient levels of caffeine and related alkaloids kicking in. I'll give it another try.
    Why not a DHF on the front? That's what they intended it for.
    I ride a DHF 2.5 w/ EXO casing, and a buncha other letters on the sides, on the FRONT.
    And a Ardent, with the same mess of letters, in 2.4, on the rear wheel. I don't mind if it breaks free a little early. In fact, I actually LIKE it. Makes me LOOK like I'm riding way faster than I really am!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for all your replies guys!

I'v always thought DHF=downhill front and DHR=downhill rear, but read somewhere recently that DHF=downhill freeride and DHR=downhill Race.
    I don't know which is true, but I do know that DHR II can function as a front tire, some say it's even better and more predictable than a DHF up front.
    Xgecko - I almost never have any wet conditions, so no need for wet condition tires.
    DrDon
    1. SE4 is expensive, and for some reason botragers are wearing out faster than Maxxis tires.
    2. Aggressor is a little heavier that DHR II, but it might roll faster. These 2 tires are still on my short list.
    Radium
    1. DHF front and DHR II rear is the trivial setup. I want to try something else.
    2. The Ardent is faster and lighter, and therefor more "delicate" than DHF/DHR II/Aggressor, and might not be the best option fot desert trails or mean rockgardens I ride on.
    Mo

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys!

I'v always thought DHF=downhill front and DHR=downhill rear, but read somewhere recently that DHF=downhill freeride and DHR=downhill Race.
    I don't know which is true, but I do know that DHR II can function as a front tire, some say it's even better and more predictable than a DHF up front.
    Xgecko - I almost never have any wet conditions, so no need for wet condition tires.
    2. Aggressor is a little heavier that DHR II, but it might roll faster. These 2 tires are still on my short list.
    Radium
    1. DHF front and DHR II rear is the trivial setup. I want to try something else.
    2. The Ardent is faster and lighter, and therefor more "delicate" than DHF/DHR II/Aggressor, and might not be the best option fot desert trails or mean rockgardens I ride on.
    Mo

Well then I have spent that last month on a DHR 2/aggressor setup and while Iím on a 27.5 my observations are probably still applicable. DHF/DHR2 is fine if you arenít paying for your gravity assist with your legs imo. The dhr2 feels faster and more controllable as a front than the DHF....itís also lighter fo whatever thatís worth. I have a set of wheels we up with a DHF/Griffin combo specifically for bike park they are great in that environment but slow and often unmanageable when itís my legs that are paying gravityís bill. As. A front the DHF feels better than the DHR in loose dirt/deep loam especially at speed but I am rarely pedals fast enough to notice it. The Aggressor rolls faster than an DHR and it has less drag I am generally very happy with their performance except in the wet but in all honesty Iím not really a fan of mud between wet rock gardens anyway and generally avoid it...they are fine for stream crossings (though I often have problems itís not because of my tires). I will eventually try the Rekon because it seems to the style of trail riding I most often encounter here in New England and from what I have seen the DHR2/Rekon combo seems to be fairly popular around here but thatís where I am.

mtbr member
    The F and R in DHF/DHR stand for front and rear. The DHF and DHR was designed by a racer for the NORBA DH series.

The DHR2 works well front and rear. I'd try a 2.4 Rekon out back and only go with an Aggressor or DHR2 out back if you really need to. I don't want to pedal 20 miles with a DHR2 out back if I don't have to. I don't ride in the desert but I know a few here who do and like the Rekon.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Front DHR II 29x2.4 and?

The Rekon is too light for me. An EXO+ DC Dissector would be nice.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    An EXO+ DC Dissector would be nice.
    Agreed
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty2019 View Post
    Did you not read the first post?
    Yes I did, thanks for checking.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    One consideration is that the Aggressor only comes in the harder Dual Compound. The DHR comes in softer compounds. So if youíre using it on wet roots and rocks, the DHR will give more traction. Also, the wider knob spacing on the DHR helps it shed mud, whereas the Aggressor can pack up.

Iíve ridden both tires in the rear, though not back to back. Both kind of do their thing without a fuss and donít feel like they roll especially fast or slow.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The DHR2 DC, especially the WT version, is much better in Appalachia when itís wet than the Aggressor. Rocks and roots. 3C is slower, although in the wet I donít feel it, and 3C wears fast, including the front in dry rocky conditions.

So hereís a combo Iím currently rocking. Grid trail 2.6 Butcher on a 36i rim, Eliminator grid 2:6 on a 29i rim. The wider front rim is a new addition. Where I ride itís chunky an loose and Iím not slaying the double black so one could argue Iím over tired. But for winter, including night riding I like it. Not too heavy setup, rolls well for trail, no worries about flatting.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    So hereís a combo Iím currently rocking. Grid trail 2.6 Butcher on a 36i rim, Eliminator grid 2:6 on a 29i rim.
    The new Grid Trail 2.6 Butcher? None of the Specialized LBS' have it here yet.

How is the casing width of the Grid Trail 2.6 Butcher on the i36 rim? I ask because the 'old' 2.6 Butcher GRID casing is wider than the side knobs on a i32mm rim, which is far from ideal.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Nobby Nic 2.35 is a good, fast tire but it's not the most puncture proof if you're running too low pressure or ride really hard.

DHR2 even in 2.3 is really draggy and slow, especially 3C variant compared to NN and I haven't really noticed any better wear or durability of Maxxis' EXO tires over Schwalbe SnakeSkin.

If your trails are not very steep or wet, I'd try Ardent Race or Rekon Race in the rear. That way you get light, fast and decently durable tire that's very fun on a singletrack and if you have to climb but still fun in corners due to it's "drifty" nature sometimes, but you still have a knobby front tire to hold you in line.