Fork options questions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Fork related questions?

I've settled on getting a Bombtrack Beyond+ frame & start a new monstercross build as my n+1 bike to supplement my gravel bike. I ride out here in SoCal & can see various terrains out here, including mountains, sandy trails, & desert if I drive a little. The carbon fork option from Beyond is a bit out of my budget(was quoted $500 or $600 forget which one). Still waiting for my lbs to call me back on the price on the steel fork. From what specs I can find o the steel fork it might be a bit heavier than the steel Firestarter fork, which I am seeing for like $200 or less in the open market. This had me thinking what are my other options? My budget for a fork is around $300 & willing to go used/open box.

The Beyond+ has a 500mm axle to crown length & 51mm fork offset. Bombtrack's site says it also can support a suspension fork up to 130mm. The bike is designed to hold either 27.5+ or 29x2.4 tires & I plan to run it as a 29x2.4 tire bike. The steel Firestarter has a 483mm A to C length & 45mm offset, would that be an issue? The carbon Firestarter & Cutthroat(carbon) fork have the same specs as the steel model. Any reason why the Cutthroat fork cost $100 less than the carbon Firestarter fork? What other options are there beside the Salsa fork? Would a Niner fork work? I've seen a few within budget, but not sure on the model year or a-c a & offset angle specs.

I've also looked at my suspension options in the $300 range & most were in the 100mm-120mm range. All of the ones I saw in this range are QR like the steel Firestarter fork. The carbon salsa forks are thru-axle like the beyond+ & factory forks. Personally makes no difference to me if the fork is qr or thru-axle as the wheelset I plan to use have qr hubs. I was told recently from someone who works at a big-ish name bike store that there are adapters to make qr hubs work on a thru-axle bike. So I should be okay there.

Still deciding if want to go rigid or ht but would like to see what my options are for rigid & suspension within my budget. If I went rigid the rigid route it probably be steel(pref supple steel) in my budget range I take it? As for suspension fork I'd probably want an air fork as I've hear less than positive remarks for coil. Would 100mm be okay or would 120mm be a noticeable enough improvement?

Thank you.

Edit: few minutes after I posted lbs called & told me the steel fork is $240. They are new to Bombtrack, but he said the way rep sounded the steel fork is discontinued & low stock. I said it was on the site, but the Bombtrack site so he will have to double check. He also told me that there is a 2018 Beyond+ in my size for $1300+tax. Only con is it comes with 27.5x2.8 tires & I was hoping to run it as a 29er as it would be lighter & more efficient. Very tempting.
    Last edited by Funoutside; 01-17-2020 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I just saw that someone locally is selling a 100mm Fox 32 Fit CTD for $135 in very good shape. Can't find that much info on A-C, offset, or clearance. Is there a good link that has info about this and how it compares to the other 32 variants? Is this a good or bad deal?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Carver makes a good affordable carbon fork, though I've never tried it.

Whiskey components also makes a much more sexy carbon fork, though it may be close to the limits of budget.

Surly makes some good affordable steel forks with a million attachment points.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I think I am going to go suspension fork. Was watching a video the Radavist shared of a ride close to me & asked any reason you went HT over rigid, & the video poster replied it wouldn't be fun on a rigid mtb/bikepacking bike. If did go rigid steel I'd probably go with the stock BTS fork as it has mounting points & costs about $230 new. Or Firestarter fork, which has 45mm offset vs 51mm of stock & I am seeing price as low as $150 used/open box. Haven't priced or really looked into the KM/Krampus fork. It's really tempting. Will check out the Carver and Whiskey just to see but thinking affordable suspension fork for the ability to go on more roads; that & the fact I have a gravel bike for rigid fun, which I will probably run as my mix road bike.

Is there a page somewhere that explains the difference between the RockShox forks & which model is about which one in terms price to performance ratio? I see a few around the same price new & used(new vs new & used vs used) & it's not really clear which one is the better one. Also not sure if I should be going 27.5 or 29 as aforementioned the bike is able to do 27.5+ & 29, but I plan to run it as a 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That's interesting, but it has a fork offset of 46mm would that be an issue if I stock fork is a 51mm offset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    So I am seeing the Manitou Markhor for about $220(it's a 110mm 26er but the 27.5+/29er should be around the same price) & a 2014 Fox Float 32 29er(100mm) in the black color for about the same price. Which would be the better fork? I take this would be better than the RockShox forks in the same price range? Could the Fox 32 be adjusted to become a 110 or 120mm fork? Thank you.

g=9.764m/s2
    Markhor is a great fork and a nice price!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I take it would be better than a Rockshox Recon RL(120mm) at a similar price range?

g=9.764m/s2
    Hmmm, looked further... the 32 Recon is steel stanchion but is only 1/2lb heavier than the 30 Markhor with alloy stanchion. Recon does have the adjustable motion control damper where Markhor has the basic Kwik Toggle damper... for the stiffness and adjustability at same price point, Recon for the win.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That's good to know, thank you. Will have to look into the Recon RL & see what clearance is like. Now to see how the Recon RL compares to the Recon Gold & other rockshox models in this price range. I can't really find a link that ranks them.