Fork Off: Cane Creek Helm MKII vs. Fox 34 GRIP2 140mm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

New question here. Fork Off: Cane Creek Helm MKII vs. Fox 34 GRIP2 140mm

Got a new 29" trail build coming together and I'm trying to make a decision between these two fork options. Gotta say I've had an amazing time riding CC shocks so I'm rather curious to give their forks a go.

That said despite the CC being cheaper up front it would end up costing considerably more in the long term with rebuilds and weighs a pretty hefty ~230g extra although I'm certainly the type of person to really appreciate fine tuning suspension configurations.

Info on the CC is so sparse particularly on the new MKII I'm anxious to take the plunge.

Should I settle for the tried and true Fox or gamble on the CC? Someone flip a coin and put me out of my misery.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I vote for the Cane Creek.

Why are the servicing costs more?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    CC service interval is shorter at 100 hours vs. Fox's 125 hours. Getting a rebuild on my CC shock was usually ~25-50% more costly compared to my Fox shocks.

mtbr member
    I suggest letting your forks ride 200-400 miles depending on conditions you ride in. I'm mostly in dust and in 1300 miles I only ever took out the foam rings from my 34's and washed them, replaced the oils in both sides, and I've never changed the seals. I'm changing the seals now at 1300 miles. My fork stanchions are flawless and have no marks of any kind on them.

Flame suit on.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
    I suggest letting your forks ride 200-400 miles depending on conditions you ride in. I'm mostly in dust and in 1300 miles I only ever took out the foam rings from my 34's and washed them, replaced the oils in both sides, and I've never changed the seals. I'm changing the seals now at 1300 miles. My fork stanchions are flawless and have no marks of any kind on them.

Flame suit on.

Dropping the lowers and keeping the lowers oil fresh and frequent replacing of foam rings has kept my RockShox forks running super smooth for way longer than you'd expect.

To the OP...

HELM vs the 34 doesn't seem like an equal comparison. I'd put it up against a 36 or at least a Pike. Maybe even a Lyric.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Dropping the lowers and keeping the lowers oil fresh and frequent replacing of foam rings has kept my RockShox forks running super smooth for way longer than you'd expect.

To the OP...

HELM vs the 34 doesn't seem like an equal comparison. I'd put it up against a 36 or at least a Pike. Maybe even a Lyric.
    I don't know how long these things are supposed to last, but here are mine after 1300ish and only oil changes;
    Fork Off: Cane Creek Helm MKII vs. Fox 34 GRIP2 140mm-20200709_174529.jpg
    Fork Off: Cane Creek Helm MKII vs. Fox 34 GRIP2 140mm-20200709_174427.jpg

Not a scratch on the stanchions or bushings.

The seals are good for a very long time. This is the first seal change I've done, and the new seals look slightly better than the fox ones, with an extra chevron wiper down in the seal body.

mtbr member
    So nevermind me. 300 miles was 39hrs for me. That's MORE often than Fox recommends. I'm a dope.

Your bike sucks
    I have a Helm. Haven't touched it yet so no comment but here's from PB today where CaneCreek has an ask me anything:

"We do sell a 50hr service kit for the Helm fork (BAG0409)."

https://canecreek.com/wp-content/upl...-9.12.2018.pdf

And CC thumbed up a user post who said:

"For splash oil use: Motul fork oil SAE 15W
    Damper Side: 7.5mL
    Air Side: 5mL"

Basically looks like forkoil/seals/foam/maybe some o-rings.

Remember ^that's to keep seals functioning and sliding parts moving smoothly. It's the CC damper service that keeps the fork performant (of course assuming the slidy bits are all right) - fork fluid, internal seals/rings, bladder.

CC: "Helm Air 27.5/29: $185 USD"
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.