finding a new rear Wheel- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8

    finding a new rear Wheel

    Hello all,

    I recently bent my back rim which im looking to replace. The only problem is that i cant, for the life of me, find one online anywhere!

    Does anyone know of websites with a large selection of wheels?

    Here are the dimensions of the wheel. the thing that is killing me is the 142mm hub spacing.

    Rear Wheel
    9 speed
    Rim Diameter = 29"
    Rim width = 24mm
    Double walled rim
    QR 12 mm axle
    Hub spacing = 142 mm
    6 bolt disk brakes
    shimano freehub
    price: less than 250 but if i have to pay more than c'est la vie

    And here is the closest i could find to my wheel. The problem is that the rim width is 30 mm whereas mine is 24 mm wide. If i went with this option, should i buy 30 mm for the front or could i run 30mm in the back and 24mm in the front.

    https://northwestbicycle.com/product...IaAnQ1EALw_wcB

  2. #2
    WillWorkForTrail
    Reputation: Cotharyus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,925
    I wouldn't over think the situation. I can point you to a dozen wheels that will fit your bike because I've been looking at wheels for my single speed that need a 142 rear, they're still quite common. The difference is I'm looking at sets that are much more expensive, mostly because I'm being particular about the hub. It doesn't sound like you're in need of anything special. You could stuff any of these into your frame and be ok.

    https://www.jensonusa.com/mountain-b...=12x142mm+Thru
    Last edited by Cotharyus; 05-09-2020 at 04:51 AM. Reason: freehub info

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,576
    Going to 30mm inner rim width gets you benefits.
    You can run 2.3 tires at lower pressures. This'll get you a bigger footprint for cornering and climbing. It also affects how your tire loses traction when it begins to slide out. Sidewall wrinkles instead of folding over. Things will happen slower with time to change your line and recover instead of crashing.

    But Mavic has proprietary spokes and isn't 32. Not benefits for me. And I use DT Swiss 350 for a rear hub with 36t ratchets.
    Possibly rebuild your wheel with a Raceface ARC or DT rim. Stronger. Sapim Laser spokes with Polyax nipples.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Going to 30mm inner rim width gets you benefits.
    You can run 2.3 tires at lower pressures. This'll get you a bigger footprint for cornering and climbing. It also affects how your tire loses traction when it begins to slide out. Sidewall wrinkles instead of folding over. Things will happen slower with time to change your line and recover instead of crashing.

    But Mavic has proprietary spokes and isn't 32. Not benefits for me. And I use DT Swiss 350 for a rear hub with 36t ratchets.
    Possibly rebuild your wheel with a Raceface ARC or DT rim. Stronger. Sapim Laser spokes with Polyax nipples.
    Totally agree - I donít know what the OPs current hub is but I would look at getting the wheel rebuilt, particularly if it will take standard spokes. I would avoid hubs that take proprietary spokes unless it was absolutely unavoidable. If you have a good LBS this would be a good opportunity to give them some business.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    "I wouldn't over think the situation. I can point you to a dozen wheels that will fit your bike because I've been looking at wheels for my single speed that need a 142 rear, they're still quite common. The difference is I'm looking at sets that are much more expensive, mostly because I'm being particular about the hub. It doesn't sound like you're in need of anything special. You could stuff any of these into your frame and be ok.

    https://www.jensonusa.com/mountain-b...=12x142mm+Thru
    "


    The problem is that these are all (at least the ones i clicked on) thru axles and mine is a QR. Is there an adapter?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Totally agree - I donít know what the OPs current hub is but I would look at getting the wheel rebuilt, particularly if it will take standard spokes. I would avoid hubs that take proprietary spokes unless it was absolutely unavoidable. If you have a good LBS this would be a good opportunity to give them some business.
    Looks like thats what I will have to do because the few i found that will fit are sold out haha.

    I have the equivalent of the shimano FH-m475

  7. #7
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    14,965
    Quote Originally Posted by orichter View Post
    Looks like thats what I will have to do because the few i found that will fit are sold out haha.

    I have the equivalent of the shimano FH-m475

    Click on the link in my sig and then fill out my info form. I can get you rolling again quick.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help finding a new front wheel for a 2016 Diamondback Hook
    By Mad_Maxxis in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2017, 08:00 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 08:00 PM
  3. Rear wheel replacement, not having much luck finding one
    By dccool879 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2014, 09:05 PM
  4. Finding a good LBS is like finding a good mechanic
    By bank5 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-16-2011, 07:11 PM
  5. Need help finding 700c singlespeed rear wheel
    By ThanksForAsking in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Members who have read this thread: 49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.