External dropper recommendation- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    14

    External dropper recommendation

    I'm riding a carbon framed Turner Czar, size XXL. The frame doesn't have provisions for internal routing. Also, the size XXL has a relatively high top tube/seat tube junction leaving only 185mm from the top of the seat post clamp to the center of the seat rail. I don't think it would be a good idea to drill for internal routing as the pivot is also fairly high up the seat tube so I'm guessing there'd be some stress in that area.
    So, what I'm looking for is a light, and reliable external dropper in probably 125mm?. The BikeYoke and 9Point8 seem to be the highest for customer satisfaction but I don't think they're available with external routing. Weight is also a priority, and the new wireless droppers are definitely not in the budget. Thanks for any input.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,187
    PNW has external & seem to get great reviews : https://www.pnwcomponents.com/?variant=12731382825037

    MoveLoc has external routing : https://www.vecnum.com/en/products/moveloc-xc .

    I currently have a 9POINT8 dropper and cannot recommend this post based on early malfunctioning. Customer support has been slow and I am facing a return for evaluation of the issue.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    57
    I have a Brand X Ascent 2 which has worked great for the price. 120 mm but on the heavier side. I've seen other comments saying that the TranzX dropper is the same but just a different logo. If you want something cheap and reliable for the price then well worth it with the only niggles being the routing housing can come loose and there is some rotational movement in the seat tube/station (not enough to notice riding and it hasn't deteriorated over the 12 months I've been using it).
    Giant Reign SX 29
    Ibis Ripley OG
    Santa Cruz Blur XCc

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,755
    Have you looked at Thomson?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    211
    I use a PNW Cascade on a fatbike that requires external routing. Not the lightest post, but zero issues in two years of ownership. I'd buy another one again in a heartbeat.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for the tips! The PNW is sold out in 30.9 so thatís probably out, plus itís on the heavy side. Iíll check into the Thomson again. Iíd seen some bad reviews but I have had great luck with their posts and stems so maybe Iíll give them a try for my dropper.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,053
    Like you, hellion, I have always had very good luck with Thomsen posts and stems. My two vintage Ellsworth's both have 27.2 seat post diameters, so I put their 125mm dropper on both my '05 Joker and my 2013Evolution.
    Been over a year now, and they are still working as well as new.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    346
    Turner Czar, L. Seatpost KS Lev 125mm.

    My normal position.
    External dropper recommendation-img_1286.jpgExternal dropper recommendation-img_1287.jpg

    Seatpost maximum insertion.
    External dropper recommendation-img_1288.jpgExternal dropper recommendation-img_1289.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,083
    For the crap load of money they charge, Thomson posts SUCK. There's no way, that straight out the box, a post that costs that much should have play, absolutely un-acceptable, same with the crap from SRAM. I've had my 9point8 FAllLine for going on 3 years, super reliable, only ever popped the nut, cleaned and greased and still no movement/play, but that's what I'd expect when I pay $400> US for something. These days, if I was looking, I wouldn't drop anything over $200 for a dropper, not with how un-reliable most are, take the little extra weight and go for a BrandX for $120 right now from CRC.

    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Have you looked at Thomson?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    672
    The Marzocchi-branded Transfer seems like the winner to me.
    External option
    https://www.marzocchi.com/seatposts.aspx?idC=62353

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    For the crap load of money they charge, Thomson posts SUCK.
    Mine 27.2 Thompson dropper has developed a bit of side-to-side play after first season (about 30 days of riding), everything else was working just fine. Play got fixed for free by Thompson since they have 2 year warranty, so I have nothing to complain about.

    PS Agree on price point, but for 27.2 it was almost the only reasonable/available option.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,201
    FWIW: Rotational play of a degree or so is common among many posts and a total non-issue. It's an aspect of their design, not an assembly or QC problem. Some posts may have imperceptible rotational play, which is OK, as long as none of the important characteristics are compromised.
    What, me worry?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    FWIW: Rotational play of a degree or so is common among many posts and a total non-issue.
    I don't like it and prefer not to have it.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,083
    PLUS, when you're paying that kind of $$ for it, it better be properly designed and manufactured to tight tolerances and not have play. My 9point8 cost $425 new, it did not have play, and over going on 3 years, now only has the slightest bit, probably time for a full service to restore to new, the Thomsons on the other hand have more play new, than mine does near 3 years old, or at least the older ones do and cost as much.

    Quote Originally Posted by borisotto View Post
    I don't like it and prefer not to have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  15. #15
    There's always next year.
    Reputation: padrefan1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by hellion View Post
    Thanks for the tips! The PNW is sold out in 30.9 so thatís probably out, plus itís on the heavy side. Iíll check into the Thomson again. Iíd seen some bad reviews but I have had great luck with their posts and stems so maybe Iíll give them a try for my dropper.
    I believe Jenson has some in stock: https://www.jensonusa.com/PNW-Cascad..._q=pnw+dropper

    And I'm another vote for PNW. Been quick to respond to questions and support. I own droppers from them in both internal and external routing. Great company.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    I believe Jenson has some in stock: https://www.jensonusa.com/PNW-Cascad..._q=pnw+dropper

    And I'm another vote for PNW. Been quick to respond to questions and support. I own droppers from them in both internal and external routing. Great company.
    The OP should look at Brand-X too on Chain Reaction Cycles. I've read that they are the same posts as PNW Components, and that CS goes through PNW Components as well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,201
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    PLUS, when you're paying that kind of $$ for it, it better be properly designed and manufactured to tight tolerances and not have play...
    My point is it can be properly designed and manufactured to tight tolerances AND have rotational play. Since a small amount of rotational play has absolutely no bearing on use of the post, requiring no perceptible play is superfluous and purely a marketing requirement. It might contribute to perceived quality, but not functional quality.
    What, me worry?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Since a small amount of rotational play has absolutely no bearing on use of the post
    I've found even a small play to be quite counterproductive on steep climbs on gravel. Going downhill - yes, you don't care at all since you are not sitting...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    14
    Thank you all for the advice, especially Archer for taking the time to post pics of his Czar. As for the Thomson, I just cant get past the visual of the cable attaching at the top of the post. It just looks hokey. The PNW and Fox Transfer seem to be my top contenders. I like the Fox in that it's lighter and doesn't come with a lever, which is good as I'd like to use the Wolftooth lever, and I like the PNW in that it's reasonably priced and solidly built. Decisions, decisions...Ö.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,083
    No it's not, it's annoying as fvck to have even the slightest bit of play coming from your saddle while seated pedaling. That's like saying it's OK to have a little play in your suspension, side to side or some strange $hit like that

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    My point is it can be properly designed and manufactured to tight tolerances AND have rotational play. Since a small amount of rotational play has absolutely no bearing on use of the post, requiring no perceptible play is superfluous and purely a marketing requirement. It might contribute to perceived quality, but not functional quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by hellion View Post
    I'm riding a carbon framed Turner Czar, size XXL. The frame doesn't have provisions for internal routing. Also, the size XXL has a relatively high top tube/seat tube junction leaving only 185mm from the top of the seat post clamp to the center of the seat rail. I don't think it would be a good idea to drill for internal routing as the pivot is also fairly high up the seat tube so I'm guessing there'd be some stress in that area.
    So, what I'm looking for is a light, and reliable external dropper in probably 125mm?. The BikeYoke and 9Point8 seem to be the highest for customer satisfaction but I don't think they're available with external routing. Weight is also a priority, and the new wireless droppers are definitely not in the budget. Thanks for any input.
    It may not appeal to your eyes, but I rode a Gravity Dropper post for years before switching to a Bikeyoke Revive last year.

    The reliability of the GD is tough to beat, it is external routing, they have options for shorter travel or will drill one for you, and they are incredibly easy to DIY service/maintain. You can also shim the post if needed and it wonít impact the operation.

    I had 3 GD posts and sold two of them in less than 24 hours after posting online (3rd one is now my backup post). Take a look on pinkbike.com classifieds and see if you can find a used GD for sale, which would be more budget friendly.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,483
    Another vote for the PNW Components Cascade. Had a KS eTen for a few years and really that thing was kinda garbage once I got the PNW. The KS always didn't seem to get that last few mm of travel back, was finicky when doing cable adjustments and even had the cartridge seize in the post resulting in having to send back to KS for a full warranty replacement (which they bitched about prior to doing).

    PNW's customer service has been top notch whenever I have had questions. Responses are super quick and I have even received responses from the owner, Aaron, late at night (like 10pm). They have sent me instructions on post teardown for cleaning up and everything and I did have a slight problem with play in my first one which they immediately sent out a replacement post with a return label for the old one. No downtime in riding period!

    If I wasn't getting a new bike then I would be upgrading to their Loam Lever and even still, if I don't like the dropper on my new bike then I will end up grabbing a Bachelor from them, no questions on which company to go with.

Similar Threads

  1. External Dropper Routing
    By Skyshot27 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM
  2. Thomson dropper post internal vs external cable
    By ChevyM14 in forum Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-01-2015, 12:27 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 08:10 AM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 10:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.