Durable XC tire recommendations.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Durable XC tire recommendations.

Never owned a tire under 2.3 in width nor a XC racer. My background is purely trail/park/enduro/DH riding.

I am in the process of building up a steel XC bike to participate in local XC racing events (just for fun) and endurance events.

Looking for XC tire recommendations that is durable. I believe my frame width capacity is 2.2 in the rear and front (Rockshox SID RL) is around the same. Rims are quite narrow (I think 19mm?).

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe the Ikon 2.2 with EXO. They're undersized to begin with, but have good traction, braking, and roll well.

mtbr member
    You can also try looking at some Specialized tires like the Ground Control and Fast Trak. I ran the GC and FT for a while and they worked pretty well in a lot of conditions. The'll be undersized in whatever tire width you choose on a 19mm IW rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NuckaMan View Post
    Never owned a tire under 2.3 in width nor a XC racer. My background is purely trail/park/enduro/DH riding.

I am in the process of building up a steel XC bike to participate in local XC racing events (just for fun) and endurance events.

Looking for XC tire recommendations that is durable. I believe my frame width capacity is 2.2 in the rear and front (Rockshox SID RL) is around the same. Rims are quite narrow (I think 19mm?).

Thanks.
    What are your local trails like? If you are used to cornering aggressively, something like a Schwalbe Rock Razor that is a combination of pseudo-semi slick with aggressive cornering knobs could be good for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I've had relatively good experiences with Maxxis Ikons 29x2.35 3C/EXO/TR (740g) as well as Maxxis Rekons 29x2.25 3C/EXO/TR (670g) both on 25mm ID rims on my XC rig.

Slashed several Ikons but never a Rekon however the Rekon rear was squirmier when corning hard (210 w/ gear) and I needed to run higher pressures to compensate although the additional grip was certainly appreciable. Both rolled exceptionally well and accelerated wonderfully and braked well surprisingly but unless you're primarily on dry hardpack I'd seek out something with a bit more grip.

I ended up moving to a Maxxis Minion SS to eliminate the squirm and prevent washing out on pine needle covered corners but obviously a pretty sizable weight penalty and still suffers from the same climbing issue as the Ikon and Rekon spinning out on slick rock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks all-

I went with Maxxiss Ardent Race EXO 2.2, front and rear. I'll give them a go this Friday and see they do.

My understanding is, the XC events are mostly fireroads with very little tech sections. I'll probably abuse them more out on my local trails while logging miles.