Does anyone use dual control shifting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Does anyone use dual control shifting?

I have an older set of Shimano LX dual control shifters\levers and wondering how they would be on the trail. Wondering if anyone her uses them.

mtbr member
    I had, on a Maverick ML7, the XT versions of the dual control setup. At the time, I didn't know any better and rode just fine with them. They were a little odd, but I think for somebody that isn't trying to ride super aggressively and send it all the time they would still be just fine. I believe most of the issues/complaints with them, like accidentally shifting while braking, were probably accurate; but that being said if you plan ahead, or just ride casually, I bet they would be perfectly happy knocking off some nice singletrack miles in the forest.
    I no longer have that bike, or the parts, but I do have a Fisher Sugar 292 in the shed with the same LX dual control setup. I was thinking about moving those parts over to a Yuba Mundo cargo frame I'm working on rehabbing. I think a cargo bike (because I have one sitting here) would be a very good application for them, plus they are just quirky enough and thats why I like them.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Def not recommended, though they are OK for casual use. They can (will) cause issues/crashes negotiating technical terrain. It was an idea that, unlike road brifters, didn't work out in practice.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    I'm still using them for commuter duty and like them for the use, but would not use them again for fat biking or anything remotely technical. I would rather use an old school friction thumb shifter for bumpy stuff than use the mtb brifter.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I used them for a few years on a hardtail. They worked fine. I got the LX versions and brake calipers for ridiculously cheap. The shifting precision wasn't great, you'd have to over-shift sometimes to get it into the gear you wanted, maybe due to a weak spring somewhere in the system (all LX). It was different, but not horrible. Intended to work with rapid-rise (backwards) derailleurs. It was an example of shimano miscalculating. Most of the system was well designed, but that doesn't mean it'll be a winner. I'd run it on a bike depending on the circumstances, but most likely for more casual use. Definitely not for a racing bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I use them for commuting and love them....I have an extra pair so I was thinking about using them instead of the Sram Rocket twist style. I like those too but I dislike the length of brake lever I have left afterwards. I don't race on the trails and I do not go too aggressive....I think I might try it!