mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Good job! Dead but healthy, welcome back dear FD

I was looking at Trek website 2018 XC models and many of them are 22 speeds. For a recreational rider like me i enjoy the wider range. I checked e13 cassettes 9-46 are expensives and according to reviews a compromise i am not willing to make.

mtbr member
    I wonder why they did this? Doesnt make much sense with the range that we have on todays cassette's

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    I wonder why they did this? Doesnt make much sense with the range that we have on todays cassette's
    You need an incredibly long cage on a derailleur to use all that range. A shorter cage will shift faster and smoother all things considered. That's where the double or triple come in. They allow a greater range. But it comes at the expense of increased weight. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    You need an incredibly long cage on a derailleur to use all that range. A shorter cage will shift faster and smoother all things considered. That's where the double or triple come in. They allow a greater range. But it comes at the expense of increased weight. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I guess that makes sense. But I don't think I could ask for a better shifting setup than my Eagle. At least I have not experienced one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I was looking at Trek website 2018 XC models and many of them are 22 speeds. For a recreational rider like me i enjoy the wider range. I checked e13 cassettes 9-46 are expensives and according to reviews a compromise i am not willing to make.
    The e46 only makes sense if you already have a sram 11 speed drivetrain. It's a niche product. Most people are using products that add bigger cogs to shimano cassettes.

Anyway, you're barking up the wrong tree. Trek never stopped using 2x on their bikes 3k and under. If there's any increase this year it's solely because shimano is giving them ridiculous pricing on the front shifting bits that demand is dying for (think "nearly free" at the volume they buy). Also, trek isn't being generous by giving you the rarely seen 2x version of race face next carbon cranks on some models that have alloy frames and crap wheels. They just got a great deal from race face who was desperate to get rid of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Hardly a weight increase anymore with the huge dinner plate on the rear.
    OG Ripley v2