Convert '11 Reba RL 9mmQR into '12 Reba RL 15mm?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Convert '11 Reba RL 9mmQR into '12 Reba RL 15mm?

I am currently running 2011 RS Reba RL's 9mmQR on my Xcal and want to upgrade my front wheel to a new UST wheel with a 15mm axle hub.

The 2012 Reba RLs have a 15mm axle option for the lower legs so I was thinking (to keep expenses minimal), could I possibly buy a 2012 lower leg (part# 11.4018.006.099) from RS directly then have my LBS change switch the lower legs? Would that work? I'm still researching, looking for whatever measurements I can find so I can compare, but I thought maybe someone on this forum might already know or have an idea. If it worked it could save me a lot of money which I'd rather put towards wheels anyway.

Thanks for any input!

29er
    Apr 2010
    yes you can swap legs

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    yes you can swap legs
    The reba had a redesign for '12. Sure all the '11 internals fit right in the '12 lowers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Looks like I'll have to talk to a LBS about the idea first anyway as unless I'm mistaken a civilian such as myself can't order parts directly from SRAM. I wonder if since I'm giving them the work of swapping the legs they'll sell me the new set at cost. I'll have to shop around.

29er
    Apr 2010
    if his goal is to get a 15mm axle hub to fit, then get 2011 legs. should be 100% compatible

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    if his goal is to get a 15mm axle hub to fit, then get 2011 legs. should be 100% compatible
    I don't believe they made a Reba lower in '11 with a 15mm axle. Only 20mm.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Nope. You never answered my question. Do you know for sure if '11 internals will swap into the new shape '12 lowers ?

Quote Originally Posted by KBfromVT View Post
    I don't believe they made a Reba lower in '11 with a 15mm axle. Only 20mm.
    Correct.

Here's what I recommend. Email bikerbob ([email protected]), he'll hook you up with a great deal on a '12 reba with 15mm. Then sell your '11 on the classifieds or on ebay. The difference between the two that you spend will probably be equal or less than buying new lowers (if the swap is even possible).
    Last edited by 92gli; 08-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The internals are all housed in the stanchions, and you're not swapping stanchions. Just make sure the '11 damper rod and air spring rod will interface with the '12 lowers and you should be fine.

Keep on Rockin...
    What do a set of lowers cost?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    According to one of my local Trek/SRAM dealers a set of 2012 lower legs would cost about $100 or thereabouts. However, SRAM is saying the '12 Reba RL legs will not fit the '11 Reba RL due to a difference in the stanchion size.

Looks like I'm now in the market for a new set of shocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Reba has always had 32mm stanchions. I don't believe SRAM and I recommend you get that double checked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    The Reba has always had 32mm stanchions. I don't believe SRAM and I recommend you get that double checked.
    I'll probably leave well enough alone. If I can get a new set of Reba's with a 15mm fork for mid $300's then sell my current ones I'll probably fair better anyway from an expense standpoint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    It's not the diameter of the stanchions it's the length of the stanchions and the internal length to the bottom out inside the lowers that is the problem. In other other words the stanchions would hit inside the lowers before going through all of their travel. In their efforts to lighten the reba for 2012 rockshox used shorter stanchions and redesigned lowers to accommodate them. It's also the reason why 2012 rebas can only be 80 or 100mm of travel instead of 80/100/120 like the earlier models.

Quote Originally Posted by KBfromVT View Post
    I'll probably leave well enough alone. If I can get a new set of Reba's with a 15mm fork for mid $300's then sell my current ones I'll probably fair better anyway from an expense standpoint.
    Sounds like the right plan to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0