Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889
Results 8,801 to 8,816 of 8816
  1. #8801
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    108
    I sent Nextie as BTLos an email to advice me so letís see who helps me better.


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  2. #8802
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    38
    I got a set of BTLOS m-i25a rims built with DT 350 hubs. Quality seems great so far and I have no complaints. This is my first set of carbon wheels so not much to compare with. I did about an hour demo on some SC reserves on a demo bike and no big differences stood out.

    A few points:
    - Communication with them was great.
    - These wheels are actually 26.5mm internal, NOT 25mm as advertised. They did point this out to me when ordering.
    - The website lets you configure things that aren't available. ie. I picked centerlock J bend DT hubs but they only had centerlock in straight pull. Not a huge deal and they'll point out anything that isn't available.
    - Wheels took a bit longer than anticipated but no big deal.

    All in all, I'm very satisfied and would use them again.

  3. #8803
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    - These wheels are actually 26.5mm internal, NOT 25mm as advertised. They did point this out to me when ordering.
    This is true but only for the XC version of these rims and is described on the web page for the rim. All versions of this rim have a 32mm outer width, but while the AM version has an IW of 25mm and 3.5mm thick bead walls, the XC version has a 26.5mm IW and correspondingly thinner walls.

  4. #8804
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chicane32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    This is true but only for the XC version of these rims and is described on the web page for the rim. All versions of this rim have a 32mm outer width, but while the AM version has an IW of 25mm and 3.5mm thick bead walls, the XC version has a 26.5mm IW and correspondingly thinner walls.
    Yes, they can also build you the i25 AM spec wheel with their XC weight of 390g. I was looking to do this, but I want a lighter i25 wheel.

  5. #8805
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    380
    Anyone try out the new LB Recon Pro series rims? I previously had the older style AM928 and just ordered a couple of the newer AM930ís to build another wheelset.

  6. #8806
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    13
    yooooo!, btlos is having a 15% off sale from 11-9 till 11-11, they are also adding the 54t dtswiss upgrade for the first 50 customers. I own a pair and I love them, this is a great time to buy some.
    Last edited by senorbanana; 6 Days Ago at 11:27 PM.

  7. #8807
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    632
    $775 shipped for 27.5 34mm width, dt upgrade. Iím so tempted....

  8. #8808
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    108
    Why is BTLos so heavy?:/ 1600 for a 30mm id rim with sapim cx ray AMD DT 240...


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  9. #8809
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGr View Post
    Why is BTLos so heavy?:/ 1600 for a 30mm id rim with sapim cx ray AMD DT 240...


    Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    I agree. That's what held me back from buying from them. EIE/Carbonfan and Light Bicycle seem to be 30-50g per rim lighter for comparable profiles and materials.

  10. #8810
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2
    Hi, just about buying a couple of wheelsets from SpeedSafe ... what opinion do you have about this builder? Any known issue?

    I made a final search before click the buy button and I found this thread in this same forum LINK ... so I thought that this thread wouldn't be a bad place to ask.

    Any alternative seller to SpeedSafe?

    Thanks!

  11. #8811
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by fmanuelsg View Post
    Any alternative seller to SpeedSafe?Thanks!
    I am far from an expert on this topic, but I did a lot of reading in this thread before I ordered a set of wheels from BTLOS. There seem to be a fair number of reputable sellers: Light Bike and Nextie seem to be the most established, but I have also seen decent reports on BTLOS, EIE, Carbonfan and Oxive.

    There are a few things that stick out in that link you shared - the weight of the wheelset was incredibly light. I don't know the specifics of the rider or how the rims were used, but I personally value durability over light weight. The other thing that seemed weird is that they are using 64% T800. Again, not an expert, but I have read that while T800 is lighter than T700, it is also more brittle. I know BTLOS only advertises 25% T800 in their premium rims. Read into this what you will.

    This is my first experience ordering directly from China. I chose BTLOS because they were cheaper than Light Bike and Nextie, but appear to be a company that manufacturers the rims that they sell. Their communication has been excellent through the sales/build process, although in all honesty I wouldn't expect anything different. I can't say anything yet about their support if anything goes wrong - I am hoping I will never find out

    Good luck!

  12. #8812
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I am far from an expert on this topic, but I did a lot of reading in this thread before I ordered a set of wheels from BTLOS. There seem to be a fair number of reputable sellers: Light Bike and Nextie seem to be the most established, but I have also seen decent reports on BTLOS, EIE, Carbonfan and Oxive.
    It's all the same factory and manufacturing procedures. Different quality control in each case.

    The other thing that seemed weird is that they are using 64% T800. Again, not an expert, but I have read that while T800 is lighter than T700, it is also more brittle. I know BTLOS only advertises 25% T800 in their premium rims. Read into this what you will.
    It really matters what resin you use, not so much the fiber. T800 is marginally more brittle than T700, but when using a graphene epoxy it's actually stronger. Additionally, good rim layups consist of a single carbon sheet in each layer angled about 20-40 degrees so that the fibers support lateral spoke tension and aren't as affected by vertical impacts. This makes fiber brittleness even less important.

    This is my first experience ordering directly from China. I chose BTLOS because they were cheaper than Light Bike and Nextie, but appear to be a company that manufacturers the rims that they sell.
    They don't manufacture, they are agents like everyone else that do a great job of pretending they are the factory. They have a corner of the factory at the end of the production line and an office nearby. They do their own quality control and wheelbuilding.

  13. #8813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    It's all the same factory and manufacturing procedures. Different quality control in each case.
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    They don't manufacture, they are agents like everyone else that do a great job of pretending they are the factory. They have a corner of the factory at the end of the production line and an office nearby. They do their own quality control and wheelbuilding.
    I certainly appreciate that you seem to know much more about this than I do, but do you have any evidence? I was looking for this sort of information but could not find it.

    Again, not proof but this is the information on BTLOS's website:

    Xiamen Btlos Bicycle Co., Ltd. is a professional manufacturer focused on the design, development, and production of carbon fiber bicycle road rims, carbon mountain bike rims, carbon fat bike rims and carbon wheelsets.
    After many years as an OEM manufacturer/supplier, in 2017, BTLOS launched our consumer website making our years of quality and manufacturing expertise available direct to the consumer at the retail level for the very first time.

    Our well-equipped facilities and excellent quality control throughout all stages of production enable us to guarantee total customer satisfaction.

    And this:
    ABOUT OUR FACTORY

    CAN I VISIT YOUR FACTORY?

    Yes. Welcome to visit our factory.

    WHY CHOOSE US?

    We have 6 years of experience in designing and producing high-end carbon bicycle rims.

    1. We are the direct manufacturer.
    2. All the carbon fiber raw materials come from Japan. We only use pure carbon fiber material.
    3. We have professional technical personnel and designer team.
    4. We have strict test standard and quality control system.
    5. We have good after-sales service team.
    6. Passed EN and UCI quality test.
    7. Quality warranty period: 18-mount.

  14. #8814
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I certainly appreciate that you seem to know much more about this than I do, but do you have any evidence? I was looking for this sort of information but could not find it.

    Again, not evidence but this is the information on BTLOS's website:

    Xiamen Btlos Bicycle Co., Ltd. is a professional manufacturer focused on the design, development, and production of carbon fiber bicycle road rims, carbon mountain bike rims, carbon fat bike rims and carbon wheelsets.
    After many years as an OEM manufacturer/supplier, in 2017, BTLOS launched our consumer website making our years of quality and manufacturing expertise available direct to the consumer at the retail level for the very first time.

    Our well-equipped facilities and excellent quality control throughout all stages of production enable us to guarantee total customer satisfaction.
    My source is direct communication with several brands. I have been unable to find a way to contact the actual factory directly. They all skirt the question about whether they actually control the production process.

    You'll also notice the molds are similar (or identical), indicating the same designer was involved or even the same molds were used. Not only that, pictures of the factory in Alibaba ads have the same floor color, rack or shelving style, etc. I really can't find a way to reach this factory directly.

    This is very much unlike Qtour and Yishun which will quickly tell you they are the only producer in their factory, and sell to agents.

  15. #8815
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    My source is direct communication with several brands. I have been unable to find a way to contact the actual factory directly. They all skirt the question about whether they actually control the production process.

    You'll also notice the molds are similar (or identical), indicating the same designer was involved or even the same molds were used. Not only that, pictures of the factory in Alibaba ads have the same floor color, rack or shelving style, etc. I really can't find a way to reach this factory directly.

    This is very much unlike Qtour and Yishun which will quickly tell you they are the only producer in their factory, and sell to agents.
    Good info and would absolutely make sense to me. I can't imagine that many carbon fiber factories existing.

    Curious why the price can vary so much, but then again it isn't surprising. Take pinarello vs giant.... One is a mass producer and the other is a very targeted high end market. Branding plays a big role in all of business.

    That said, curious to see the rims I ordered from Speedsafe are of similar quality to my Nexties. Specs are very close. The preorder price a couple weeks ago was nearly 50% less though. I have no clue when they'll ship. No word yet.

  16. #8816
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by wildh View Post
    Curious why the price can vary so much, but then again it isn't surprising.
    The actual cost of manufacturing a rim is probably between $50 and $75, though I don't have a firm figure on that because factories like to add in warranty funds and distribute mold costs. Then the agents have to pay tax, quality control (and pick up the expenses of rejects), shipping, packaging, labor, drilling, sanding, painting, reserve funds for warranty, handled customer service, pay building rent, pay factory rent, pay for their Aliexpress store ($1,500 start-up cost), pay for Aliexpress fees per transaction (8%) or Alibaba fees (per lead), buy insurance, and it all adds up. It's phenomenal what prices these people can do.

    It's crazy, wholesale prices are often higher than Aliexpress promotional prices. These newer and smaller agents are tearing themselves to pieces trying to gain a following, at the complete expense of any profits and their competitors. It's a chain reaction to bankruptcy. They are forgetting the power of good marketing and focusing only on the price tag.

    I spent some time comparing carbon rim agents that were around in 2011-2013 and that are still around. The failure rate for these companies was about 3 in 4, those that are still around are very popular. I'd bet on it that excellent customer service got them to this point, not the lowest prices.

    I would be really really curious to visit several of these places in person. Maybe next time I get a business conference in China or Hong Kong I'll sneak in a side trip.

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889

Members who have read this thread: 751

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.