Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889 LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,700 of 8852
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    I'm about to order these:
    Super light T800 29 Plus mtb bike wheels carbon
    w/ T800, Boost Dt 240s, 28H, Cx-rays

This is for my hardtail for XC racing, I ride aggressive but saving this for XC races/terrain, not enduro and big drops. I weigh 153.

Peter has been very responsive. We have gone back and forth and had some more questions that might be too detailed. I assume they can't do a rim with no internal drilling (smooth bed so no tubeless tape needed) right?

Maybe it is easier and saves weight to have holes anyway, even after adding tape. Not sure. Came across this thread and sounds like Tyvek adds only 9g. Anyone know what Stan's tape weighs and what the proper tape width is? Do I only need to cover the very center to cover the spoke holes?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...ad-926021.html

What do they typically do for decals etc? Was planning on them being plain.

FYI: going from 18T to 36T adds $50. They don't do 54T.

$10/wheel to assemble. I was thinking of just gettign the parts but not when it is that cheap.

Any driving reason to ask for internal drilling and internal nipples?
    They can do rims with no holes in the rim bed. You just need to let him know.

25mm wide Stans tape will work for your wheels. It will add about 5g per wheel.

The rims will come with no decals/logos unless you requested them.

I thought Peter can do the 54t upgrade. Did you ask?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    How are these? I'm looking at something similar. Did you order it from them as a wheelset or built the wheels yourself? What hubs are you using?
    Couldn't wait so I have been riding them in snow. I can only compare with alu rims that came on my bikes. But the are awsome, like totally different bike, much more responsive and fun. But something is wobbly. I think it's the shape of my rear tire. It is not easy to see where the wobbling comes from. The bead looks evenly seated though.

mtbr member
    I'm looking for carbon rims. I'm disappointed with my DT Swiss X1825 Spline wheelset weighing in at about 1690 grams with the DT Swiss 18T ratchet hub. I'm on a budget of about $1,000 +/-.

* Want to lose about 100g per wheel (be under or about 1500g total )
    * Weight 189 lbs (86 kg)
    * XC Race and AM trails in Michigan (rocks and roots but pretty tame considering)
    * No big jumping or drops over 4 feet.
    * Don't want a race day only wheelset, so all my training will be on these wheels.
    * Prefer wheelset with 25 +/- inner and 30 +/- outer

Strongly considering Light Bicycles 29C19 (open to other suggestions) but I can't find many reviews of them. Below is my build I'm considering from LB:

Front Axle:15 / 110mm BOOST
    Rear Axle:12 / 148mm BOOST
    Freehub Body:Sram XD
    Brake System:Center lock
    Front Holes:28H
    Rear Holes:28H
    Spoke Head:straight pull
    Hub Color:Black
    Hub Brand: DT SWISS
    Hub Model:240S
    Ratchet:54T
    Spoke:Sapim CX Ray
    Nipple: Aluminum Black
    Finish:matte
    Weave:UD

weight: 1427g
    Unit Price: USD 1108.00

***What should I change in this LB build and why?***

***What other wheelsets should I be considering?***

What say you?
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | ďIf youíre not first youíre lastĒ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-XC View Post
    I'm looking for carbon rims. I'm disappointed with my DT Swiss X1825 Spline wheelset weighing in at about 1690 grams with the DT Swiss 18T ratchet hub. I'm on a budget of about $1,000 +/-.

* Weight 189 lbs (86 kg)
    * XC Race and AM trails in Michigan (rocks and roots but pretty tame considering)
    * Don't want a race day only wheelset, so all my training will be on these wheels.

Strongly considering Light Bicycles 29C19 (open to other suggestions) but I can't find many reviews of them. Below is my build I'm considering from LB:

What say you?
    Change 1)
    I would get that same set but through Peter at XMCarbonSpeed.cn. Just shoot him a message about having these rims built up to your specs.
    T700/800 Asymetric mtb carbon rim

Reason 1) because you would save $200+ dollars (T700 layup)

Change 2) I would go with 350 hubs with the same specs.

Reason 2) it would save you $175 and only weigh an extra 50 grams.

If you go with the rims I linked with the T800 layup and 350 hubs, you would weigh in around 1300 grams and save $300.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    Change 1)
    I would get that same set but through Peter at XMCarbonSpeed.cn. Just shoot him a message about having these rims built up to your specs.
    T700/800 Asymetric mtb carbon rim

Reason 1) because you would save $200+ dollars (T700 layup)

Change 2) I would go with 350 hubs with the same specs.

Reason 2) it would save you $175 and only weigh an extra 50 grams.

If you go with the rims I linked with the T800 layup and 350 hubs, you would weigh in around 1300 grams and save $300.

Im less concerned about saving a couple hundred bucks as I am about trusting the wheelset Iím buying is well made, durable and ride quality. Iím not sure about a 1300g wheelset being able to handle that with me weighing 189 lbs (86kg). Also, I feel more comfortable with the reputation of LB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Im less concerned about saving a couple hundred bucks as I am about trusting the wheelset Iím buying is well made, durable and ride quality. Iím not sure about a 1300g wheelset being able to handle that with me weighing 189 lbs (86kg). Also, I feel more comfortable with the reputation of LB.
    I am in the same place as you... similar weight and also ride in Michigan (I am in the Traverse City area).

I did a ton of research and asked a lot of questions. Peter at XM Carbonspeed is very reputable and builds great wheels. I just had him build me a sub 1350gram wheelset and it cost less than what you are spending at LB... and this set uses the T800 carbon layup.

The thing about T800, compared to T700, is that a lot of people associate LIGHTER with WEAKER. T800 is actually about 10% stronger than T700 and is also lighter. Science.

Anyhow, dont be dismayed by XM Carbonspeed. If you are more comfortable ordering from LB... do so. But I was in the exact same place you are.

What part of Michigan are you riding in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorse1 View Post
    I am in the same place as you... similar weight and also ride in Michigan (I am in the Traverse City area).

I did a ton of research and asked a lot of questions. Peter at XM Carbonspeed is very reputable and builds great wheels. I just had him build me a sub 1350gram wheelset and it cost less than what you are spending at LB... and this set uses the T800 carbon layup.

The thing about T800, compared to T700, is that a lot of people associate LIGHTER with WEAKER. T800 is actually about 10% stronger than T700 and is also lighter. Science.

Anyhow, dont be dismayed by XM Carbonspeed. If you are more comfortable ordering from LB... do so. But I was in the exact same place you are.

Iíll look more into XM Carbonspeed.

Iím in the Detroit suburbs and will be racing the XC point series all over MI. I think the furthest north I get is Manistee and Grayling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

What you say about T800 carbon is correct mainly about tensile/stretching/bending strength, not so much compressive strength. They get those T800 rims lighter through thinner walls. If they also thin out the rim lips, there is a higher risk that a compressive squared edged Rock strike will damage the rim. With the rim lips, type of carbon makes less difference, it is more about thickness there. If you were over ~80kg and planned to ride your new wheels over terrain where it is not unusual for you to get pinch flats, I'd be looking at rims with lips closer to 3mm than 2mm.

That LB rim appears to have a rim lip of 3mm, so would probably be more appropriate than the xmc rim, which has a lip under 2.5mm.

Having said all this, I have had much better service from Peter than what I got from LB. I don't see any difference in quality between the products each of the vendors. The better service and price makes it a no brainer.

I reckon assymetric rims are the way to go too. When I was looking for a rim, I was looking at 25mm+ internal widths, sub 400g assymetric. Only the xmc 30mm (external) xmc rim met this criteria. I would've preferred a slightly wider rim, but couldn't find any that were assymetric and under 400g. If i was heavier and wasnt looking for a rim for a dedicated race wheelset, i'd be looking at wider heavier rims. I see that LB has an asymmetric rim that is just on 400g and is about 27-28mm internal width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Iíll look more into XM Carbonspeed.

Iím in the Detroit suburbs and will be racing the XC point series all over MI. I think the furthest north I get is Manistee and Grayling.
    Right on. The thing about XM Carbonspeed that dispelled me was they do not yet offer wheel builds to order off of their website on the asymmetric rims. I had to work with Peter via email/messenger and work out a custom quote. However, he is a breeze to work with and super fast on response. After talking to a few people who have bought several from him, I went for it. It is about $400 less than the wheelset I was looking at on CarbonFan.

You should try to get a bit further north. Some great races in Marquette up in the U.P. and here in the Traverse City area. I love Ore 2 Shore in August and Peak 2 Peak in October at Crystal Mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    What you say about T800 carbon is correct mainly about tensile/stretching/bending strength, not so much compressive strength. They get those T800 rims lighter through thinner walls. If they also thin out the rim lips, there is a higher risk that a compressive squared edged Rock strike will damage the rim. With the rim lips, type of carbon makes less difference, it is more about thickness there. If you were over ~80kg and planned to ride your new wheels over terrain where it is not unusual for you to get pinch flats, I'd be looking at rims with lips closer to 3mm than 2mm.

That LB rim appears to have a rim lip of 3mm, so would probably be more appropriate than the xmc rim, which has a lip under 2.5mm.

Having said all this, I have had much better service from Peter than what I got from LB. I don't see any difference in quality between the products each of the vendors. The better service and price makes it a no brainer.

I reckon assymetric rims are the way to go too. When I was looking for a rim, I was looking at 25mm+ internal widths, sub 400g assymetric. Only the xmc 30mm (external) xmc rim met this criteria. I would've preferred a slightly wider rim, but couldn't find any that were assymetric and under 400g. If i was heavier and wasnt looking for a rim for a dedicated race wheelset, i'd be looking at wider heavier rims. I see that LB has an asymmetric rim that is just on 400g and is about 27-28mm internal width.
    I dont ride a ton of rocky stuff normally. When I head up to Marquette, that is when I get into a lot more rock. I am about 86kg right now, but hope to below 80kg by the time race season starts.

I dont suffer from pinch flats currently. I would have like a rim that had a bigger lip. 3mm would have been perfect. However, all the others that I found were to deep... or too shallow. I took a chance with the 2+mm lip on the XMC model after reading up on the new Stans carbon podium set. That total rim is 18.7mm deep and the lip is just over 2mm. The reviewers state that, with a narrow rim, it is able to take a much bigger deflection without cracking. I posted about that earlier.

Anyhow, I am very excited about my rim set. Had I sprung for the 240s hubs, I would be under 1300grams on the set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have put the calipers to my rims (those ~310g t800 30mm xmcarbonspeed ones). They are much closer to spec than I thought. My previous rough measurements (with a ruler) were off. The internal width (25), rim lip (2.5mm), and external width (30mm) are all within 0.05mm of spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have put the calipers to my rims (those ~310g t800 30mm xmcarbonspeed ones). They are much closer to spec than I thought. My previous rough measurements (with a ruler) were off. The internal width (25), rim lip (2.5mm), and external width (30mm) are all within 0.05mm of spec.
    How do you like them? I have no idea what to expect as I have never ridden carbon wheels. What is your tire setup on them? What is the ride like on those rims?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How do you like them? I have no idea what to expect as I have never ridden carbon wheels. What is your tire setup on them? What is the ride like on those rims?
    I am still waiting on some spokes, so haven't ridden them. I don't expect to find them much different to my 4 year old 22/27mm internal/external 360g LB rims, a wheelset I have disassembled to scavenge the hubs (240s CL SP). Maybe a little extra vertical compliance over the other rims, but I don't expect to notice as the new rims will be going on a full suspension bike with reasonably big-for-xc 2.25/2.35" tyres.

mtbr member
    They can do rims with no holes in the rim bed. You just need to let him know.

25mm wide Stans tape will work for your wheels. It will add about 5g per wheel.

The rims will come with no decals/logos unless you requested them.

I thought Peter can do the 54t upgrade. Did you ask?
    Peter is doing the 54T upgrade starting in April, so I ordered that since they won't me made until about April 10. I may ask about no holes in the rim bed now too. It will add a little weight, but save on tape weight and add strength.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does XMCarbonspeed (Peter) make a T800 rim that is roughly an 30mm+ internal width? I'm looking on there now and can't seem to find one. Curious on pricing etc.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Does XMCarbonspeed (Peter) make a T800 rim that is roughly an 30mm+ internal width? I'm looking on there now and can't seem to find one. Curious on pricing etc.
    I don't know about carbons peed, but btlos makes a very nice t800/t700 rim with 29mm inner. I have laced 4 sets of them.

I assume by t800, you mean combination t800/t700?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I don't know about carbons peed, but btlos makes a very nice t800/t700 rim with 29mm inner. I have laced 4 sets of them.

I assume by t800, you mean combination t800/t700?
    Well, I'm somewhat new to this so I'm not entirely sure. Are they making full blown T800 rims now? How has the i29 been for you? I want to run the typical 2.4 DHR II and 2.5 DHF tire combo and need something that will be ideal for those tires. I've heard i30 is somewhat of a minimum target though i'm a bit ignorant to the reality of what truly works/doesn't work.

Edit: I looked at those BLTOS, they look really nice but heavier than Light bike. WAY heavier than full T800 from XMC (~120g+). I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but saving 120g a wheel is pretty amazing assuming they aren't breaking at every turn. This is my first carbon wheelset so forgive if I'm missing something.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, I'm somewhat new to this so I'm not entirely sure. Are they making full blown T800 rims now? How has the i29 been for you? I want to run the typical 2.4 DHR II and 2.5 DHF tire combo and need something that will be ideal for those tires. I've heard i30 is somewhat of a minimum target though i'm a bit ignorant to the reality of what truly works/doesn't work.

Edit: I looked at those BLTOS, they look really nice but heavier than Light bike. WAY heavier than full T800 from XMC (~120g+). I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but saving 120g a wheel is pretty amazing assuming they aren't breaking at every turn. This is my first carbon wheelset so forgive if I'm missing something.
    Can you post a link to these T800 rims?

It's my understanding that T800 is both expensive, and also while light and stiff, much more brittle that T700. Of someone is selling rims are cheap prices and saying they Re full t800, it's probably b/s. Most who advertise super light, or sky weight, or premium, are using 20-25% t800, remainder t700.

Maxxis WT 2.5 were designed around 35mm,. It will be fine on a 29mm inner width rim.many people prefer close to 30mm, over 35mm for the profile it gives. 1mm between 29 and 30 is not enough to talk about, they will be virtually identical.

Most sets I have had in hand were 29er Enduro reinforced and sat around 460-470g, slightly under stayed weight. I would not trust a 29" rim 130g lighter than these. Especially if I were riding in places where minions are required!! But, that is just me. Where are you riding?

I
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Can you post a link to these T800 rims?

It's my understanding that T800 is both expensive, and also while light and stiff, much more brittle that T700. Of someone is selling rims are cheap prices and saying they Re full t800, it's probably b/s. Most who advertise super light, or sky weight, or premium, are using 20-25% t800, remainder t700.

Maxxis WT 2.5 were designed around 35mm,. It will be fine on a 29mm inner width rim.many people prefer close to 30mm, over 35mm for the profile it gives. 1mm between 29 and 30 is not enough to talk about, they will be virtually identical.

Most sets I have had in hand were 29er Enduro reinforced and sat around 460-470g, slightly under stayed weight. I would not trust a 29" rim 130g lighter than these. Especially if I were riding in places where minions are required!! But, that is just me. Where are you riding?

I
    Thanks for the info. Link listed below for the rim. Its listed in the AM category and only has an i28 profile. Seems like people have nothing but good stuff to say about XMC but these are freaky light. Makes me wonder as well, but maybe its just the future . FYI I'm riding in PNW

KHR934C 29er mtb carbon rim 30mm depth 34mm width - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info. Link listed below for the rim. Its listed in the AM category and only has an i28 profile. Seems like people have nothing but good stuff to say about XMC but these are freaky light. Makes me wonder as well, but maybe its just the future . FYI I'm riding in PNW

KHR934C 29er mtb carbon rim 30mm depth 34mm width - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd
    Something smells fishy to me. I would use a company like Enve as a benchmark. Their xc 29er rims come in at 367g, and have less depth and width. AM rim with more width, depth, and thicker rim walls at 350g? Suspect. And they don't disclose how much t800 they use, which is also a bit preposterous. They want you to think 100%.

PNW. Okay. Yeah. Real dirt, mixed weather, rocks and roots. Minion is proper where you are. I'd be careful not to under rim yourself and over tire the rim though! XC rim/Enduro tire sorta thing.

My recommendation stands. BTLOS 36mm premium rim (with 29mm inner) is a good value to me, if you want that t800 mix. Again, 465ish for Enduro reinforced. 440 without. Both will be much stronger than this xmcarbinspeed stuff imho. 3.5mm rim wall, pretty robust mold. I have laced them for guys who are over 250 lbs and we are several months in with great feedback. I'm also a bit of a rim killer and I have been having great luck on .y personal set.

They are nearly identical to Nextie premium rims but cost less.i think they also have an Easter coupon code on now. "EASTER80" on their instagram.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member

XMC has great products and Peter provides top notch service after the sale. And the rim weight for the t700 is on par with most other companies and rims of that width. I have a set of the HR935C rims that came in at the advertised spec of 440ish grams and they've been great for 2 years now. I also ordered a set of wheels from Peter with the KHR934C T700 rims that you linked for a friend of mine and those have about 1,000 miles on them without issues. I do agree that the T800 layup is super light but I don't think that it's a bad thing. If you're worried, ask Peter to have a stronger layup done. You will still be well below 400g.

I have one ride in on my new wheels from Peter that are 38mm wide 27.5 rims and they weighed in at 410 each with T700 carbon. Full wheel set weighs 1475g and they already took some 3 foot drops to flat without any issues. No rock strike tests yet though so the verdict is still out on that part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    XMC has great products and Peter provides top notch service after the sale. And the rim weight for the t700 is on par with most other companies and rims of that width. I have a set of the HR935C rims that came in at the advertised spec of 440ish grams and they've been great for 2 years now. I also ordered a set of wheels from Peter with the KHR934C T700 rims that you linked for a friend of mine and those have about 1,000 miles on them without issues. I do agree that the T800 layup is super light but I don't think that it's a bad thing. If you're worried, ask Peter to have a stronger layup done. You will still be well below 400g.

I have one ride in on my new wheels from Peter that are 38mm wide 27.5 rims and they weighed in at 410 each with T700 carbon. Full wheel set weighs 1475g and they already took some 3 foot drops to flat without any issues. No rock strike tests yet though so the verdict is still out on that part.
    That is good to hear man! Thanks for all the help btw with XMC. I put my order in about 9 days ago. Peter told me there is about a 12-15 day lead on the rims, then another 2-3 to build them. Hopeful I see them by mid-April!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Man. Peter is amazing at responding via email etc for a manufacturer. Certainly makes it seem like he is there to help. Glad you guys have great experiences there. The stuff is really really affordable too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm looking at a wheelset from Peter with the following:

Rim. KHR936C
    DT Swiss 350 32h boost f/r
    Spokes: CX-Ray
    Nipples: Sapim self securing

Does that sound about right for trail riding with DHR/DHF 2.4/2.5?

Also, Peter mentioned that the T800 34mm wide rim was designed for XC and not for AM.

Side note: do you know the internal width of the KHR935c? Is that a better rim for what I want to do than the KHR936C?

mtbr member
    I'm looking at a wheelset from Peter with the following:

Rim. KHR936C
    DT Swiss 350 32h boost f/r
    Spokes: CX-Ray
    Nipples: Sapim self securing

Does that sound about right for trail riding with DHR/DHF 2.4/2.5?

Also, Peter mentioned that the T800 34mm wide rim was designed for XC and not for AM.

Side note: do you know the internal width of the KHR935c? Is that a better rim for what I want to do than the KHR936C?
    That wheelset looks like it would work perfectly. I think 28mm to 30mm inner width is a sweet spot for 2.3 to 2.5 tires. I ran 29mm rims with 2.35" tires for a couple years but went to 32mm rims as I'm running 2.6's now. The wheelset is pretty similar to mine except I got the AS738C rims. If you go with 350 hubs for Centerlock rotors, you could save about 80g without spending any extra funds.

I would stick with the KHR936C rims as they are a newer design. But then again, the 935 / 735 profiles with the 25mm depth have been around awhile and are pretty well proven. Nextie, Carbonfan and others use the same profile. Here is the HR935C rim I mentioned. I believe it's 29mm inner width, I can check in a day or two when I swap out the rear tire.
    HR935C 29er mtb hookless carbon rim 35mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

Back on the Centerlock rotor topic, if you go that route, Bikewagon has some XTR RT98 180mm Centerlock rotors for relatively cheap at $28.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-RT9...4AAOSwTm9aHVMG

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The stuff is really really affordable too.
    My wife would disagree with that statement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Been following this thread for a bit and keen to get folks thoughts on a carbon wheel set Iím procrastinating about

Here in Sydney, Australia I ride a Canyon Strive. Riding is rocky. Some Enduro style racing. Tyres typically 650b 2.4 HR2 front, 2.3 Minion SS rear with a ghetto cush core in both. Iím a fit and forget rider as much as possible. Weight in about 80kg

The Spline One wheels that came on the bike have been really good (240 hubs, DT 471 rims). Specs say 1700g and they have taken a beating. Finally damaged the rear at a Stromlo race boosting a small rock garden and hitting a very hard square edge fast.

Iíve currently got a set of Spank oozy 345 wheels on there. 30mm id. Weigh in just shy of 2000g. They have a reputation for being strong

I have a set of hope 32h Pro 2 evo hubs sitting doing nothing.

Iíve been looking at the LB asymmetrical rim
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/EN728-a...-mtb-rims.html

These seem similar
    http://xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1423

Iíve got a few options. Build up the carbon rims on the 32H hope or 28H DT hubs

What spec rims would you recommend. Which would be most resistant to rock scars. What spec spokes? What wheel weights should I expect?

Iíd be building them up myself. Done a few wheels now and they have fared well. Park spoke tension meter definitely helps

All thoughts gratefully received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post
    Been following this thread for a bit and keen to get folks thoughts on a carbon wheel set Iím procrastinating about

Here in Sydney, Australia I ride a Canyon Strive. Riding is rocky. Some Enduro style racing. Tyres typically 650b 2.4 HR2 front, 2.3 Minion SS rear with a ghetto cush core in both. Iím a fit and forget rider as much as possible. Weight in about 80kg

The Spline One wheels that came on the bike have been really good (240 hubs, DT 471 rims). Specs say 1700g and they have taken a beating. Finally damaged the rear at a Stromlo race boosting a small rock garden and hitting a very hard square edge fast.

Iíve currently got a set of Spank oozy 345 wheels on there. 30mm id. Weigh in just shy of 2000g. They have a reputation for being strong

I have a set of hope 32h Pro 2 evo hubs sitting doing nothing.

Iíve been looking at the LB asymmetrical rim
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/EN728-a...-mtb-rims.html

These seem similar
    AS733C 27.5er asym rim 30mm depth 33mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

Iíve got a few options. Build up the carbon rims on the 32H hope or 28H DT hubs

What spec rims would you recommend. Which would be most resistant to rock scars. What spec spokes? What wheel weights should I expect?

Iíd be building them up myself. Done a few wheels now and they have fared well. Park spoke tension meter definitely helps

All thoughts gratefully received.

Hey man, you might check the DIY Carbon wheel thread in the Wheels forum. I've asked these exact questions and some good dudes helped me out. I'm watching here Tom incase others pipe up with good info (I'm sure they will).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey man, you might check the DIY Carbon wheel thread in the Wheels forum. I've asked these exact questions and some good dudes helped me out. I'm watching here Tom incase others pipe up with good info (I'm sure they will).
    Cool. Thanks for the heads up in the thread. Iíll have a read

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm thinking about mounting some XM wheels with dt350s on a 2018 Fox 36. I'm new to this and am wondering which axle works? I was planning on a thru axle. Do I need any conversion adapter for this? Which size thru axle do I buy? Sorry for the dumb question.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm thinking about mounting some XM wheels with dt350s on a 2018 Fox 36. I'm new to this and am wondering which axle works? I was planning on a thru axle. Do I need any conversion adapter for this? Which size thru axle do I buy? Sorry for the dumb question.
    Buy the hub that fits your fork. No adapters needed. The axle comes with the fork.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Is your Fox 36 Float setup for 15mm or 20mm thru axle? You would order your wheel with that size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just an update on my wheel build - mentioned in my posts above. I finally received the last of the spokes, and built them up on the weekend.

Build:
    30/25mm ext/internal width xmcarbonspeed T800 assymetric rims, 28h UD gloss. Were a bit lighter than claimed, at 303/307g.
    Hubs: 240s SP CL 100x15, 142x12 xd driver 54t ratchet. These hubs were pulled out of an old wheelset.
    High tension side spokes: 302mm cx-ray SP black
    Low tension side spokes: 302mm super cx-ray SP black
    Nipples: standard DT Swiss brass 12mm silver (half 2.0mm, half 1.8mm)
    Wheelset weighed in at 582/682, or 1264g total.

The assymetric rims built up with very even tension, so I have built them initially with lower tension (~120) than I normally would (130). Will ride them a few times then check and maybe up the tension a little.

Even though I did a test build with some old 300mm spokes, and found them to come up over 2mm short, the new 302mm are inexplicably a tiny bit too long. Not sure what happened there.

For all those getting these rims, I recommend 27mm stans yellow tape. It just fits, but you have to pull it really really tight as you put it on. It added 9g (+-1g) per wheel.

I have mounted 2.35f/2.25r racing Ralphs. Have put tubes in for the moment, until I have ridden them a few times and finalise the spoke tensions. Will then go tubeless.

Haven't yet finished the bike they are going on (hongfu FM058), so haven't test ridden them yet. Should finish the bike tomorrow night. Am tempted to enter a local xc club race this weekend, but should probably test ride the bike instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just an update on my wheel build - mentioned in my posts above. I finally received the last of the spokes, and built them up on the weekend.

Build:
    30/25mm ext/internal width xmcarbonspeed T800 assymetric rims, 28h UD gloss. Were a bit lighter than claimed, at 303/307g.
    Hubs: 240s SP CL 100x15, 142x12 xd driver 54t ratchet. These hubs were pulled out of an old wheelset.
    High tension side spokes: 302mm cx-ray SP black
    Low tension side spokes: 302mm super cx-ray SP black
    Nipples: standard DT Swiss brass 12mm silver (half 2.0mm, half 1.8mm)
    Wheelset weighed in at 582/682, or 1264g total.

The assymetric rims built up with very even tension, so I have built them initially with lower tension (~120) than I normally would (130). Will ride them a few times then check and maybe up the tension a little.

Even though I did a test build with some old 300mm spokes, and found them to come up over 2mm short, the new 302mm are inexplicably a tiny bit too long. Not sure what happened there.

For all those getting these rims, I recommend 27mm stans yellow tape. It just fits, but you have to pull it really really tight as you put it on. It added 9g (+-1g) per wheel.

I have mounted 2.35f/2.25r racing Ralphs. Have put tubes in for the moment, until I have ridden them a few times and finalise the spoke tensions. Will then go tubeless.

Haven't yet finished the bike they are going on (hongfu FM058), so haven't test ridden them yet. Should finish the bike tomorrow night. Am tempted to enter a local xc club race this weekend, but should probably test ride the bike instead.
    Thanks for the update and info. I have Peter building me the exact same rims with T800. Difference is I am going with DT350s instead of 240s and went with Aluminum nipples.

Ill order some 27mm stans this week with your recommendation. Appreciated.

mtbr member

* Weight 189 lbs (86 kg)

What say you?

They meet your requirements!
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/hand...elset-for-sale

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your fork is Boost it'll have a 15 x 110 axle for that size hub. It should be Boost since its 2018.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If your fork is Boost it'll have a 15 x 110 axle for that size hub. It should be Boost since its 2018.
    And in 2019 it will be MEGA Boost. In 2020 it will be Ultra Boost. Then, in 2022... it will go to Retro Boost... which is half way between Boost and MEGA.

Marketing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

So Ive just pressed go on 2 rims from Oxive Carbon

https://www.oxivecarbon.com/collecti...-free-shipping

28H 3k matt finish with orange decals

At $169 each including worldwide shipping & 2 year (720 day) guarantee it seems like excellent value

Its always a bit of a gamble buying from brand I haven't heard from so I done a reasonable amount of research first

Chatting to Simon of Oxive via facebook messenger he sent me some photos showing his business card and that showed the business behind the brand to be Xiamen Ekay Composites Carbon Bike Wheels Manufacturer Xiamen Ekay Composites Technology Co.

I found the promo video interesting

https://youtu.be/QWKWiH_2nCs

Apparently they have been making rims for several well known brands since 2012 but have recently decided to create their own direct to consumer brand Oxive

This recent decision is reflected in their website, its pretty barebones, but Simon's communication has been great. Payment was through paypal

I'll be lacing the rims onto some DT Swiss 240s hubs I've got with DT Swiss competition Race spokes and 12mm brass nipples that I've ordered from Bike 24

The with the rim weight of 430g DT Swiss Spoke calculator gives me wheel weights of F-765g + R-833g = Total 1598g

I'm reasonably hard on wheels and this is my first set of carbon rims so it will be interesting to see how they hold up. They are going on a Canyon Strive and will be used for a full range of riding including some Enduro racing. Riding here in Sydney is pretty dry and rocky. With a middle of the road weight 430g construction and 3mm rim thickness I think they should be good. I've gone for the 3k finish because its supposed to hold up better to scuffs etc. They will be a bit lighter than my current 500g aluminum rims which are built into a 2000g wheelset

I've gone for the 26mm ID rim rather than something wider because I prefer the tyre profile (Maxxis HR2 and Minion SS) to the 30mm ID I've currently got. I also seem to get less damage on the less wide rims

So now I just have to wait. Simon say it will be 8 days before they ship

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

https://www.oxivecarbon.com/collecti...-free-shipping

28H 3k matt finish with orange decals

At $169 each including worldwide shipping & 2 year (720 day) guarantee it seems like excellent value

Its always a bit of a gamble buying from brand I haven't heard from so I done a reasonable amount of research first

Chatting to Simon of Oxive via facebook messenger he sent me some photos showing his business card and that showed the business behind the brand to be Xiamen Ekay Composites Carbon Bike Wheels Manufacturer Xiamen Ekay Composites Technology Co.

I found the promo video interesting

https://youtu.be/QWKWiH_2nCs

Apparently they have been making rims for several well known brands since 2012 but have recently decided to create their own direct to consumer brand Oxive

This recent decision is reflected in their website, its pretty barebones, but Simon's communication has been great. Payment was through paypal

I'll be lacing the rims onto some DT Swiss 240s hubs I've got with DT Swiss competition Race spokes and 12mm brass nipples that I've ordered from Bike 24

The with the rim weight of 430g DT Swiss Spoke calculator gives me wheel weights of F-765g + R-833g = Total 1598g

I'm reasonably hard on wheels and this is my first set of carbon rims so it will be interesting to see how they hold up. They are going on a Canyon Strive and will be used for a full range of riding including some Enduro racing. Riding here in Sydney is pretty dry and rocky. With a middle of the road weight 430g construction and 3mm rim thickness I think they should be good. I've gone for the 3k finish because its supposed to hold up better to scuffs etc. They will be a bit lighter than my current 500g aluminum rims which are built into a 2000g wheelset

I've gone for the 26mm ID rim rather than something wider because I prefer the tyre profile (Maxxis HR2 and Minion SS) to the 30mm ID I've currently got. I also seem to get less damage on the less wide rims

So now I just have to wait. Simon say it will be 8 days before they ship
    Those look pretty durable. You are right, with 3mm rim width and coming in at 430g, they should be pretty beefy. Shaving over 1 pound off your current wheel-set weight will be very noticeable. This is especially true on starts and climbs. However, carbon is also much stiffer than your average aluminum wheel build. That will also be significant. It will feel different right away... especially on tight and high speed turns where you are used to a big more flex.

Good luck with the build! Make sure you post lots of pictures. That is what these folks love the most.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

This looks like a solid enduro oriented build. 3.5mm beads should be strong. The tires you like are old school originally designed for skinnier rims. Your build should work ok for them.
    If you picked higher volume more rounded profile tires you could go with a 35mm inner rim or wider
    depending on the tire and the terrain you ride. Higher speeds from longer dh runs can mean less width and stronger sidewalls.

mtbr member
    I just got my wheel from Peter. They look cherry and the shipping got them here before my due date. Once it leaves China it is way quicker than I expected and came next day after clearing customs from CA to NM.

I'll check the weight later but here is the spec:

KAS930C, 29" T800, UD, Matte, 28H,

DT swiss 240, XD driver, 54T, 28H,
    straight pull, centerlock

Sapim CX-ray spokes and black nipples

I'm having my shop check the spoke tensions right now. Anyone know what they should be? I emailed Peter but should be sleeping now haha!

Any other things to check out before riding new wheels?
    Last edited by cabra cadabra; 04-19-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just got my wheel from Peter. They look cherry and the shipping got them here before my due date. Once it leaves China it is way quicker than I expected and came next day after clearing customs from CA to NM.

I'm having my shop check the spoke tensions right now. Anyone know what they should be? I emailed Peter but should be sleeping now haha!

Nice! How long did it take to reach you from when he shipped? I got an identical build, except went with the 350 hubs. Mine were shipped out on the 13th and am excited to get them. Also, let me know what you find on tension as I will bring mine to the shop and have them check too.

Did you get tape and stems with yours? I didnt ask... and he didnt ask or specify. Not sure if they are included.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Are those nipples aluminium? If so, your wheelset should weigh in pretty close to mine (1264). I used heavier brass nipples, but negated that weight gain with some lighter low tension side spokes (used half super cx-ray spokes in each wheel). If those are non boost hubs, we have otherwise identical wheels, other than the gloss finish on mine.

I would be aiming for at least 120 on the high tension side.

mtbr member
    Ordered my rims from xmcarbonspeed on March 29th. Tracking info says they shipped on the 19th of April. How long does it take to get from the factory to your front porch? Are these wait times typical? This is my first experience ordering from China and Iím discovering that this requires a lot of patience...

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Ordered my rims from xmcarbonspeed on March 29th. Tracking info says they shipped on the 19th of April. How long does it take to get from the factory to your front porch? Are these wait times typical? This is my first experience ordering from China and Iím discovering that this requires a lot of patience...
    i have order 40mm rims from oxivecarbon carbon frame from dengfu on sep last year,it take about 8 days to get the tracking from oxive 15 days from dengfu

mtbr member
    If they have already been accepted at the "post office" in China, i would guess that you will have them by the end of next week. For me, the average is 2 to 3 weeks from the time of ordering. That being said, I've had as long as 4 weeks in shipment and a little as 8 days. Sooo, grab your popcorn, sit back, and relax.

mtbr member
    So anywhere from one week to a month of shipping time. Iím going to need a lot of popcorn...

mtbr member
    Ordered a set of carbonfan wheels dec 30/17 arrived Jan 16/18. Now have over 2000 miles on them and feel they are one of the nicest wheelsets I have owned. Had Arthur build t800 28 wide 22 int 25 deep for wide tires on my crux. Weight was 556 front 656 rear. Wheels are still true no hops and are perfect on windy days. For comparison my wife and I also have roval clx 32s and just sold dt Swiss rc38c. All wheels are disc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So anywhere from one week to a month of shipping time. Iím going to need a lot of popcorn...
    My wheels shipped on the 13th from XMCarbonspeed. The last update I have right on is that they Departed from export office in Xiamen on that same day. This is my first experience ordering from China. However, I am told it is typical that they will "disappear" for 1-2 weeks after they leave customs and the reappear in the US. I guess this is the time they spent on a boat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    This looks like a solid enduro oriented build. 3.5mm beads should be strong. The tires you like are old school originally designed for skinnier rims. Your build should work ok for them.
    If you picked higher volume more rounded profile tires you could go with a 35mm inner rim or wider
    depending on the tire and the terrain you ride. Higher speeds from longer dh runs can mean less width and stronger sidewalls.
    So my spokes and nipples have arrived. Rims are on their way

Iíve been messing with a wheel planning spreadsheet that helps with collating info when planning a build

Iím also going to build up a set for my wifeís new Bronson since we have discovered we canít convert her Reynolds wheels to boost

Hubs, spokes and nipples are on their way. Plan to order the rims once Iíve given the ones on their way the once over

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not for a mountain bike, but I'll share the build I just picked up from the Post Office that will be used on my Felt F3X cyclocross bike on the road.

Carbonfan.com rims (25mm deep, 25mm OW, 19.2mm IW, 350 grams)
    DT Swiss 350 hubs (Centerlock, 15x100 front, 12x142 rear)
    Sapim CX-Ray J-bend spokes
    Sapim black brass nipples
    SRAM XD Driver
    28H, 2-cross lacing

Wheels were ordered on 3/17, first delivery attempt by the USPS was 4/21. I sent an email to carbonfan.com on 4/13 regarding the status of the order, and they replied on 4/14 letting me know that the wheels had shipped on 4/10. They were also nice enough to let me know that the individual rim weights (348.6 grams and 349.8 grams), along with the built wheels weights (646.2 grams front, 756.4 grams rear, 1402.6 grams total). On my scale, they're 647 grams front, 757 grams rear, 1404 grams total.

Rim quality and build looks good to me. I'll ride them for a while and then will either check spoke tensions myself (Park tension meter) or take them to a local wheel builder to check out.

These are replacing the stock DT Swiss R24 wheelset that weights 1941 grams. All in all, will be a 537 gram (1.18 lb) reduction.

Barely in control
    For cheap rims I got a pair of the Nextie promotion rims for $255 shipped. 30mm inner, 450g each. Ordered some CN424 spokes. Not sure about hubs yet. I have an extra set of WI CLD+ hubs, but those seem too nice for a build like this.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    For cheap rims I got a pair of the Nextie promotion rims for $255 shipped. 30mm inner, 450g each. Ordered some CN424 spokes. Not sure about hubs yet. I have an extra set of WI CLD+ hubs, but those seem too nice for a build like this.

How did you calculate spoke length not knowing what hubs you are using?
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Barely in control
    Basically, there is very little difference in spoke lengths between different boost hubs. I order a little long then shorten the spoke if I need to. Bladed spokes like this can be shortened 10mm. Having a local guy with a Phil Wood machine makes wheel building a lot simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Basically, there is very little difference in spoke lengths between different boost hubs. I order a little long then shorten the spoke if I need to. Bladed spokes like this can be shortened 10mm. Having a local guy with a Phil Wood machine makes wheel building a lot simpler.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Picked up my XM Carbonspeed wheels yesterday. They. Look. Amazing.

I did not spend too much time with them as I was in a rush, but inspecting them briefly they look perfect. They were very well packaged... the box even had a handle. Spoke tension seemed good just checking with my hands. It will probably be 2-3 weeks before I have tires and brakes on these things; but I am impressed with Peter's work.

For those that recommended him, thank you! For those that are sceptical, XM Carbonspeed is legit.

Huckin' trails
    Little update on my Light-Bicycle carbon fiber rims, 4-1/2 years later, they're still like new, except for a few littles scratches from rocks. Granted I haven't rode them much since I bought them, but at least the shelf life is good, no resin breakdown or delaminating. These are the back then "new" hookless double wall 33mm wide 26" rims in 32h, without outer wall nipple hole drilling, not reinforced, in 3k matte finish. Ran them in winter on snow trails too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    All the bits are here ready to start building tonight

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I purchased from BTLOS. I will give a review when they arrive!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Tooled up

Job done right

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    I purchased from BTLOS. I will give a review when they arrive!
    I just posted a short status update on mine. I've laced up several sets now and have also been riding a personal set and I am thrilled.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...n-1065277.html
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    My wheels from XMcarbonspeed are all built up and riding great. These are the 34mm inner asymmetric:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-4b5ee0cc-3e68-4785-b89b-de8c8551bcb3.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-f8f0ab29-8758-4085-8044-32b6cf4cb9f0.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-1bb2f26d-ae56-4979-8543-cc1997c57d23.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-122c39a7-bd86-490c-a629-d62d022726fd.jpg

I canít say much after only a few rides, but my local wheel builder was impressed with the build quality of the carbon rims. Iím predicting Iíll be buying my rims direct from now on...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

* Weight 189 lbs (86 kg)

https://www.eiecarbon.com/A29C25D25-...ompatible.html

If you haven't already settled this, a pair of these with the AM layup. I'd do either a 28H or 32H build with Sapim Race / DT Comp at your weight.

I'm surprised this brand doesn't get more attention here, they've got excellent options for almost every riding style.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    A year ago I purchased a carbon wheel from ICAN and arrived in about two weeks.

Already used for one year, it always runs well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post

If you haven't already settled this, a pair of these with the AM layup. I'd do either a 28H or 32H build with Sapim Race / DT Comp at your weight.

I'm surprised this brand doesn't get more attention here, they've got excellent options for almost every riding style.
    I bought a pair of EIE Carbon XC wheels about 1 month ago. Customer service has been outstanding! I dealt with Pretty for the whole transaction from initial email all the way to delivery. She kept me informed throughout the whole process and the wheels arrived in about 2 weeks from placing the order.

https://www.eiecarbon.com/carbon-rim...XC/page/2.html

28H front and rear
    DT Swiss 240
    Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
    Black Aluminum Nipples
    UD Matte No Decals
    Weight right at 1400g

I have just over 300 miles on the wheels with zero issues. I would definitely purchase from EIE again without question.

mtbr member
    May 2007

This is about the same thing I got from http://www.btlos.com

They have good prices on hubs too so I had them build it all up with Sapim cx-rays and DT240s. Should be <1400g for a 25mm internal all mountain 25% T800 buildup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    This is about the same thing I got from http://www.btlos.com
    This rim is 390g, 25.5mm internal, with 8mm hooks in 29". The closest comparable I see on that site is 420g, 25mm internal, with 7mm hooks. Probably a fine rim, but not 'about the same' to me.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This rim is 390g, 25.5mm internal, with 8mm hooks in 29". The closest comparable I see on that site is 420g, 25mm internal, with 7mm hooks. Probably a fine rim, but not 'about the same' to me.
    One thing to note is the weight of the btlos is full T700 I believe. If you do a premium layup, they would be lighter. I like that btlos gives you the option of multiple layups. And I know their mfg processes are pretty advanced, and they test to international standards, where most factories in Xaimen likely do not.

Eie's do look nice. Hard not to when you knock off am enve and give it a little asym tweak. I'm sure they are nice also. Do you have these in hand yet? I'd love to see actual pics of these!
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The premium layup is 390g 26.5 internal width - that is 25% T800 I believe. So yes a little different and also $40 more.

mtbr member

Light/Boutique Hubs

I have only found a few references to lighter/boutique hubs like Extralite, Tune, and Carbon-ti on this thread...but no run-down of which places offer which of these hub options, at what prices...I don't see these hubs listed on websites, but imagine that a number of places can still get them...

Right now, I'm leaning toward the lightest options from either Nextie, or xmcarbonspeed for a 28-30mm internal width 29er rim, but want to go all out with lighter hubs as well...

What are other's finding???
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

damned rocks...
    You can find most of those hubs on German sites.
    For example: https://r2-bike.com/
    There are other sites, but that site in specific has all the three brands you mentioned, plus they usually have a picture with the component on a scale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    but want to go all out with lighter hubs as well... What are other's finding???
    I too am just planning a lightweight carbon build. I've used Extralite, Tune and DT Swiss for previous wheelbuilds. Haven't used Carbon-Ti hubs though. Tune make good hubs but the ti pawls will wear and then freehub will crack after extensive use and require replacement. Tune freehubs are not cheap.

Extralite will be the lightest, but I'm not convinced on how much punishment their rear hub engagement mechanisms can take. For this reason, I think I will go for an Extralite front hub and DT Swiss 240s rear. The 240s is the heaviest of the lightweight rear hubs but they are rock solid performers and spare parts/freehubs are not too expensive and readily available.

damned rocks...
    ^ You also have the DT Swiss 180.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    True, but they only come in centrelock. Their weight savings are pretty much negated once you use a heavier centrelock disc or 6-bolt adapter.

Formerly of Kent
    The Newmen Evolution SL has my attention.

Check them out. 6 bolt and CL.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Getting the hubs isn't so much the question...it is whether/how/at what price you can get them from (and built up by) the more popular asian sources of carbon rims that have been discussed in this thread
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ExhaustPipe View Post
    I bought a pair of EIE Carbon XC wheels about 1 month ago. Customer service has been outstanding! I dealt with Pretty for the whole transaction from initial email all the way to delivery. She kept me informed throughout the whole process and the wheels arrived in about 2 weeks from placing the order.

https://www.eiecarbon.com/carbon-rim...XC/page/2.html

28H front and rear
    DT Swiss 240
    Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
    Black Aluminum Nipples
    UD Matte No Decals
    Weight right at 1400g

I have just over 300 miles on the wheels with zero issues. I would definitely purchase from EIE again without question.
    i too purchased wheels from EIE. i bought plus wheels, i38 with dt350 hubs, bladed pillar spokes, and brass nipples.

they made a mistake when building them but caught it at the factory. it added about a week to my order time but they included valve stems for free and apologized profusely.

i would still buy from them again given the customer service i received (numerous detailed emails WITH build pics) and quality work. the spoke tension was extremely close.

EIE is definitely a place to consider imo.
    Last edited by xblitzkriegx; 06-03-2018 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Getting the hubs isn't so much the question...it is whether/how/at what price you can get them from (and built up by) the more popular asian sources of carbon rims that have been discussed in this thread
    If you don't choose to build them yourself or locally. You may be able to ship the hubs directly to China. I know BTLOS accepts hubs for builds. Also you can give them your hub specs and they will drill the holes to match the spoke angle.

The price on DT hubs was great so I just bought from them.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Just came in

Elitest thrill junkie

Just came in
    No image shows.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Another option is Oxive. I'm testing these rims and built them up on DT180/240 with Laser spokes. Wanted to try something lighter for XC racing:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_5229.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_5230.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_5187s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Prompt please, Peter with xmcarbonspeed.com generally responds to e-mail? Wrote yesterday on 3 mails listed on the site, until silence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex070 View Post
    Prompt please, Peter with xmcarbonspeed.com generally responds to e-mail? Wrote yesterday on 3 mails listed on the site, until silence.
    Yes. I generally get a response within 24 hours. There is a 12 hour time difference (east coast) so that lags things a bit.

mtbr member
    I have not read through this thread in its entirety, but I have 350 miles of tough XC riding on my $750 Speedsafe 29er pair (24mm wide) laced to boost DT 350s with Pillar Xtra-Aero spokes, set weighs 1280g.

They have handled awful rock knocks, multiple 5 foot drops, rutted trails, and I haven't had a flat yet (unusual for me).

I ordered from Aliexpress and got within 2 weeks, very fast, awesome customer service.

Speedsafe stocks Novatec, Powerway, Chosen, DT 350, DT 240, and even HyperBoost hubs.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-9-min.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-5-min.jpg

Sorry I don't have a pic of just the wheels, but they are trued and tensioned excellently and have done the job without getting noticed. Tubeless setup has been a breeze, some rims are really tough to get tires on and off, not a problem with these.

I also have several 27.5er Speedsafe XC rims and nothing beats their weight that I'm aware of at 290g/rim.

If buying from Speedsafe I recommend contacting them via Aliexpress to get your build customized to just how you like it.

I also have bought wheels from export companies (ICAN and Angle Sports), but generally find that these are more expensive than the companies that specialize in just wheels (like Speedsafe).

I'll do a long-term review next season after a few thousand miles, but so far I'm very impressed.

mtbr member
    I have only found a few references to lighter/boutique hubs like Extralite, Tune, and Carbon-ti on this thread...but no run-down of which places offer which of these hub options, at what prices...I don't see these hubs listed on websites, but imagine that a number of places can still get them...

Right now, I'm leaning toward the lightest options from either Nextie, or xmcarbonspeed for a 28-30mm internal width 29er rim, but want to go all out with lighter hubs as well...

What are other's finding???
    Here is a 1150g pair laced to Extralite Hyperboost hubs, a bit expensive though:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1150...879522592.html

Here's a 1160g lefty-specific pair, more affordable, I highly recommend this vendor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1160...844387883.html

You might contact them to see if they can do a normal front hub.

But for $250 less and 1220g/set with DT240s, this would be my goto:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1220...846236407.html

Again I'd contact them and see what you can negotiate. If they stock Hyperboost hubs, they can probably build what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    I am looking at the SpeedSafe hubs. Look interesting. I have a pair of hoops that I need to lace up, but there seems to no info on these hubs besides what is on AlieExpress.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    I am looking at the SpeedSafe hubs. Look interesting. I have a pair of hoops that I need to lace up, but there seems to no info on these hubs besides what is on AlieExpress.
    SpeedSafe hubs? Where are you seeing that? I'm guessing they are just rebranded (lasered) Powerway or Novatec.

mtbr member
    Here they are...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TOP-...833909765.html

it seems they are made by Bitranz...but that is the only information that I have been able to find. I like that they are Boost and seem to have decent engagement...the big question is reliability...
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing! The price is high for a Chinese reseller, I am not aware of a single hub that costs more than $100 to manufacture. OEM stuff from Chinese sellers usually comes with less than 20% markup. For instance, I've ordered 20 sets of hubs from ECC-Tech with Japanese bearings, CNC machined, anodized, lasered and all, for $50/pair, $80/pair for a new prototype magnetic pawl system. They also sell boost, but you can't get them in one-off batches. Brickhouse and some other brands use ECC-Tech as well and then mark up like crazy. $190 seems like a lot of money for a pair of hubs when a Chinese reseller has them advertised--or maybe they really are that good and expensive to make?

The distinctive characteristic that I can see on these hubs is the angled/bevelled straight-pull sockets, I don't recall another hub with that design. There definitely is attention to aesthetic detail, but I have no clue about longevity of the internals.

Is Bitranz a manufacturer? I thought it was a distributor company for some hub brands.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    btlos is having a promo.

spin a wheel and get a chance to win free rims or another item or discount

https://btlos.com/

here's some of the codes I won if you guys wanna use:

prize - deadline - code

5% Off 2018-06-27 08:38:18 395b1fcccab6f2a
    5% Off 2018-06-27 08:38:09 385b1fccc1500c4
    Elite Fly Team Sports Water Bottle 2018-06-27 08:37:51 375b1fccafcb0a4
    Bicycle Taillights 2018-06-27 08:37:31 365b1fcc9b10082
    8% Off 2018-06-27 08:37:09 355b1fcc85714ec
    5% Off 2018-06-26 22:30:58 2d5b1f3e721667e

my wheels are great so far..

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'm currently building full suspension 29+ 1kW ebike with Rohloff hub at Biktrix and trying to choose as bombproof and maintenance free wheels as possible without braking the bank and need your advice.

Looking at LightBicycle, XMC and Nextie.

LB responded right away and offered to do a thicker wall of the rim and drill spoke holes at the right angle if necessary. Lip thickness of their rim is 2.5mm, rim height 22mm.

XMC hasn't responded yet, their lip thickness is 2.6mm, rim height 30mm and rim a bit heavier than LB (525g vs 490g). I wonder if higher and heavier XMC rim will be stronger than LB? If LB will do thicker rim wall and leave the rim height at 22mm, how that will compare strengthwise to 30mm high XMC?

Nextie is a bit heavier than XMC with a lip thickness of 3.5mm (outside width 52mm while inside is the same at 45mm), height 34mm and 160kg weight rating looks strongest of them all.

Price wise XMC are the cheapest at $165, then goes LB at $210 (don't know yet how much they will ask for the thicker wall) and Nextie at $215, all charge about $50 for shipment to the US.

How do you think they compare and what are the most important parameters to look at? Thanks a lot for the advices!

mtbr member
    A 30mm high XMC would be laterally stronger than a 22mm LightBicycle rim, that's just because of the amount of carbon fiber pushing against the normal force.

Also, LightBicycle has a reputation (as far as I am aware) of having cracked rims. I don't know about XMC, but you might want to read the forums on LB a bit.

I would definitely try do 32 holes if you can, make sure you use tough spokes (DT Competition or similar), and remember it's not all about your rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the response, I'll definitely ask Biktrix to use tought spokes. So it looks like I'm thinking right that Nextie will be the strongest?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Has anyone tried these rims?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/light-weigh...72.m2749.l2649

And if so, what were your impressions, did they build up OK? Are the spoke holes angled?

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Has anyone tried these rims?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/light-weigh...72.m2749.l2649

And if so, what were your impressions, did they build up OK? Are the spoke holes angled?

From their specs.

"Axial Direction Angle: 6 Degrees"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I bought two of these rims and will be building them up soon once my hubs and spokes arrive. If the spoke holes are angled, shouldn't they once installed angle one way or another? I installed a few spokes and looks to me they point straight down. Am I missing something?

Barely in control
    Often it is hard to see which way the holes are drilled. If you put in two spokes and let them hang free from nipples sometimes you can see. Then put a tape or sharpie mark on the rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    I bought two of these rims and will be building them up soon once my hubs and spokes arrive. If the spoke holes are angled, shouldn't they once installed angle one way or another? I installed a few spokes and looks to me they point straight down. Am I missing something?
    Thats why some rims have a sticker that identifies the direction of one hole, the rest you can deduct from there. Check the stickers on your rim, you might get lucky and its there.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Insert spoke and nip. Push left, push right. Which side does the spoke move more freely/extremely? That's usually my test.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    On my Carbon fan rims, I couldn't see the angle until I put a close fitting drill into the nipple hole itself, then it was obvious. The clearance holes in the rim bed were all in line and did not reflect the angled nipple holes.
    Do the math.

Members who have read this thread: 731