Page 86 of 89 FirstFirst ... 36768283848586878889 LastLast
Results 8,501 to 8,600 of 8852
    Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    Le Duke, what weight? Manufacturer? Front wheel only?
    Maybe I just need to joint the Girl Scouts but, the Zen trail felt a bit more on the technical side of the spectrum vs XC to me, bottoming out on the chain ring and all...

Ncambec2 Have you got out on your UL Nexties yet?
    PS that is one awesome looking bike you got there!
    It's moderately technical, sure, but it's part of an endurance XC race, and isn't particularly steep at any point. I guess it's a matter of what you're used to, bike set up, etc. I'm used to rocks, roots and trails that are a lot steeper than Zen, so I found it pretty fun on my 120/100mm 29er FS.

The rim was just over 400g, IIRC. Light layup of the L-B AM928.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    I've built two sets of Nexties. The first was with standard DT brass nipples and standard flange hubs and the other with DT Sqourx nipples and straight pull hubs. The brass nipples don't angle themselves in the hole as well as the Sqourx do. It seems the brass are a little fatter than the Sqourx and aren't able to rotate coming through the hole. Something else I noticed is that the second set I laced onto straight pull hubs and the straight pull hubs basically line the spokes up for you so there is no angle on the nipple coming out of the rim. One of the only gripes I might have about the Nextie hoops is that there is no right to left offset of the spoke holes and also the holes are not drilled with any angle to them.

Thanks for your experience. I noticed that my 5year old wheel set giant ptr1 (rebadged DT Swiss wheels) with straight pull hubs have no bends in the spokes.

I guess I'll just ride the nextie wheel set and hope there's no issues with the spokes down the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    So I ordered my Carbonfan wheels on Christmas day (2017), and they showed up about a month later - 6 days from the time I got the shipping notification. The wheels ended up being 500 and 501g (29+, 50mm external, 43 internal). Carbonfan was great to deal with. They answered questions quickly and let me change my decal color at the last minute (to black which wasn't listed as an option). When I originally was looking, I wanted something with an offset spoke pattern to get the spoke angles closer to equal, and they changed the website to add that option after I asked about it. When I finally got the rims in hand, they looked fantastic. The black decals are hard to see, but will look great as my bike is pretty stealthy.

I measured ERD and found it to be 591.5 vs the 595 listed on the website - definitely a difference maker when ordering spokes. I ordered Sapim laser spokes and brass nipples to build them with from Dan's comp (thanks for the tip eb1888!). I have heard that building wheels with the thinner spokes like that is a pain because of windup, but I didn't think it was that bad to deal with. I just had a little piece of tape I would move from one spoke to the next as I tightened them to see how much it would twist before actually tightening.

These were built with Onyx hubs (which I know are on the heavier side). When they were finished, I weighed them to see what they would be compared to my stock wheels (for 2018 Trek Stache). This included rims, spokes, hubs, rotors, cassette, and tape. The total weight difference for new wheels ended up 1.23lbs less than the stock.

I haven't been able to ride them because it has been so cold, but I will report back when I do. In the meantime I have been trying to think of ways to satisfy my cravings in using them, so I made this video to show how much better they spin compared to the stock ones. Not scientific, but pretty impressive!
    https://youtu.be/wzjXWthMSg0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_6555.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_6556.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Very nice finished build with the decal choice. If you film in landscape it works better on YT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenemo View Post
    Thanks for your experience. I noticed that my 5year old wheel set giant ptr1 (rebadged DT Swiss wheels) with straight pull hubs have no bends in the spokes.

I guess I'll just ride the nextie wheel set and hope there's no issues with the spokes down the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a set of DT Swiss XM521's 27.5 laced to Hope pro 4's. The spokes come out of the nipples at an angle on those also. Just in case anybody wants to know my Nextie AM35 29 HD rims laced to DT 350 28 hole straight pull non boost hubs with DT Comp spokes and DT Sqourx aluminum nipples weighs in at 1788.4 grams total. Noticeably stiff wheels a lot less deflection in rough rocky situations bike now goes exactly where I point it. Another thing about carbon wheels is you may have to adjust your suspension a bit. I needed to slow my rebound 1 click due to less flex in wheels.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Very nice finished build with the decal choice. If you film in landscape it works better on YT.
    Hey thanks! And yeah, when I looked back at it after it was uploaded I was annoyed that I forgot to go landscape. At least it still gets the message across...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlewski View Post
    Canít be the same rim, the Nextie rims are described as a 70/30 mix T700/T1000
    Itís all here, Ultralight Mountain Carbon Fiber MTB Rims Clincher Cross Country Trail
    Honestly, the stiffness of the T1000 worries me, more stiff=less flex, just break!? Iím likely over thinking this all but Iíd hate to kill a new wheel. I think Iíd kill the rear, I can keep the front up for most big hits, then weíll know, one way or the other, what the ultra-lights can take. I decided to buy them when I saw the weight limit of 120kg/265lbs, and a 3 year warranty. I was 162lbs this morning.

Sounds like youíd LOVE the desert action Live to mtb... mega rock, I was particularly impressed with St. George. Crazy steep technical boulder climbs, rock bridges, ie Zen trail, ... super fun but left me needing a bash guard for my Intense Primer, 130mm front and rear. What do you ride? I ran my Nextie Primiums for that stuff, slamming hard, no issues but, one lone very loose spoke. Rim was still true, I think the nipple just loosened.
    I believe they are same rims from same manufacturer, same cross section datas, I think XMcarbonspeed and Nextie just declare a little bit different on their product description. As most of us know, T1000 is almost impossible to be used on Chinese bike factories' products, don't know why Nextie still declares T1000 on their same rims from same factory. And I believe Nextie just has the manufacturer to apply label with something like NXT...
    You can tell if you check more prodcts listing between Nextie and XMcarbonspeed:
    29er 27mm Wide T700/800 Full Carbon MTB Rim Clincher
    T700/800 Asymetric mtb carbon rim

And Nextie Crocodile rims from XMcarbonspeed:
    [Crocodile] Carbon Semi-Fat 27.5+ Rim 42mm Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible
    HR942C design 29er carbon hookless rim 42mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd
    RM950C 29+ mtb carbon clincher rim tubeless ready 50mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allenc View Post
    I believe they are same rims from same manufacturer, same cross section datas, I think XMcarbonspeed and Nextie just declare a little bit different on their product description. As most of us know, T1000 is almost impossible to be used on Chinese bike factories' products, don't know why Nextie still declares T1000 on their same rims from same factory. [/url]
    You're right. The only twist I'd put out there as a possibility . . .
    They may be sharing molds and doing different layup processes??? The carbon speed brand is offering T700 and T800, 2 different lay-ups. Possibly, Nextie is using the same mold, maybe same factory, with the T700/T1000, different lay up design. Or maybe it is just hype? No way to know? The rim weights do vary though.
    In another life as a "remote controlled foam combat wing glider distributor" I worked directly with a Chinese manufacturer and machining the molds was the big dollar expense, the rest was pennies . . .sharing molds does make lots of sense and could/would be a cool way to spur innovation in the layup design process while controlling costs. Wishful thinking anyway . . .
    Thanks for opening my eyes to that.
    I just wish winter would end so I could do some real product testing! Snow is just so soft and slippery for any real pounding. Running my Crocodiles i42mm with 3" APEX NN's in oatmeal snow till then. SO HEAVY, GREAT TRAINING.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It's possible that the topic has been discussed in the course of 86 pages, but I don't feel like reading all 86 pages, so...

Are there any opinions about which of the typical suppliers of carbon rims (Light Bicycle, Nextie, Carbonfan, XMcarbon, Farsports, BTLOS, etc.) is the most competent at actually building complete wheelsets?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    It's possible that the topic has been discussed in the course of 86 pages, but I don't feel like reading all 86 pages, so...

Are there any opinions about which of the typical suppliers of carbon rims (Light Bicycle, Nextie, Carbonfan, XMcarbon, Farsports, BTLOS, etc.) is the most competent at actually building complete wheelsets?
    I'd say Nextie and LB are the most reputable and offer the most legitimate options for this (normal spokes/nipples/hubs you'd expect to find on any high end wheelset, vs. no-name versions). Personally, I might buy rims from XMcarbonspeed or Carbonfan, but I probably wouldn't buy wheels from them. This may be irrational, but again, Nextie and LB seem to have the biggest presence.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Nextie and Light bike to do offer more hub choices so that may play a part in your decision. I've only ordered one wheelset (also 3 other sets of rims, 1 frame, and some small parts) from XMCarbon and it's been great through one season of use. If I was sticking with DT hubs, I would go with XMCarbon. Otherwise, Nextie would be at the top of the list.

mtbr member
    You can do the final tensioning yourself, regardless of who built the wheel. Unless they got something very wrong (like wrong spoke length) it is pretty straight forward to tension a brand new wheel.Even LBS will not charge much for tensioning a new wheel. Occasionally when I don't feel like it I will take wheels to a great LBS with top wheel guys to do it.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

Im just waiting on a set of Light bike RM29C14 rims ,which is there 38mm wide rim.

I think these have been out a while. Has anyone got a set of these built on some pro 4 hubs and can tell me what spoke lengths i need please? I would go off the ERD on their site but after having previous nextie rims ive found the ERD is often wrong.

Ive not recieved them yet but id like to get the spokes ordered for when they arrive.

Many thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    after reading this thread I puled the trigger on a set of EIE Carbon i29 asymmetric wheels early Feb. My buddy ordered a set at the same time and we got a pretty nice discount from Pretty. I dont see any flaws at all. Perfectly true, spokes look awesome. For the smokin deal I got on these, cant beat it. Waiting on sealant and tape so I can mount up my new Rekon 2.6's (which I also like so far).

Anyway, here are some initial photos. Happy with how they turned out.
    Rims: A29C29D25 all mountain layup
    Hubs: DT240s classic IS 32H
    Spokes: Pilar 1420 aero xtra
    Nipples: DT blue

seperately I added custom hub decals and the 54T star ratchet Total weight is 1492g (w/o tape, stems).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I built a pair of light bike rims in the past. As I recall the ERD was correct with the caveat that the website does not compensate for the head of the spoke nipple. I added 4mm and had no problems. Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in sac View Post
    after reading this thread I puled the trigger on a set of EIE Carbon i29 asymmetric wheels early Feb. My buddy ordered a set at the same time and we got a pretty nice discount from Pretty. I dont see any flaws at all. Perfectly true, spokes look awesome. For the smokin deal I got on these, cant beat it. Waiting on sealant and tape so I can mount up my new Rekon 2.6's (which I also like so far).

Anyway, here are some initial photos. Happy with how they turned out.
    Rims: A29C29D25 all mountain layup
    Hubs: DT240s classic IS 32H
    Spokes: Pilar 1420 aero xtra
    Nipples: DT blue

seperately I added custom hub decals and the 54T star ratchet Total weight is 1492g (w/o tape, stems).

Those looks great! What was the total cost for everything?

mtbr member
    29plus wheel build here on "exotic" components:
    * Newmen straightpull boost mtb hubs (28 spokes, ratchet type as DT/Syntace, 36T by default, abit lighter than DT240, bearing preload can (need!) be adjusted)
    * Velosa assymetric 45mm external 29er rims (mas04), actual weight 455g + 465g (460+-15g advertized). There is actually limited choice of AM rated 28s assymetric 39ID rims out there, plus Velosa is cheaper, so decided to try it as I suspect all chinese wheels are made on the same factory(ies) independently on how they are branded.
    * DT squorox brass nipples (for winter/salt)
    * DT Aerocomp bladed spokes (basically for easier build on straightpull hub as bladed spokes can be hold in place easily with a special tool and prevent rotation)
    * total wheelset weight ended at ~1650g

Bought rims on Ebay, asked for ERD via mail from seller and ordered spokes without re-checking - everything went well. Nicely all spokes ended up with the same 300mm length, front/back/left/right. Trueing was easy, building was no-brainer either... Tubeless went very easy too. Forgot to adjust rear hub bearing preload and noticed rear play on first ride, but after adjusting its all good now. Lighter and stiffer wheelset than stock 50mm Durocs on Stache, like them, real upgrade and cost less than going branded Trek carbon wheelset.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterLV View Post
    29plus wheel build here on "exotic" components:
    * Newmen straightpull boost mtb hubs (28 spokes, ratchet type as DT/Syntace, 36T by default, abit lighter than DT240, bearing preload can (need!) be adjusted)
    * Velosa assymetric 45mm external 29er rims (mas04), actual weight 455g + 465g (460+-15g advertized). There is actually limited choice of AM rated 28s assymetric 39ID rims out there, plus Velosa is cheaper, so decided to try it as I suspect all chinese wheels are made on the same factory(ies) independently on how they are branded.
    * DT squorox brass nipples (for winter/salt)
    * DT Aerocomp bladed spokes (basically for easier build on straightpull hub as bladed spokes can be hold in place easily with a special tool and prevent rotation)
    * total wheelset weight ended at ~1650g

Very well done! This is exactly what I'd like to get built up for my Stache 9. I've been looking at LB 50mm rims, but I'd prefer to go a tad more narrow. Problem is most of the narrower rims are not any lighter than the LB 50's. I'd L-O-V-E to have >1700gm wheel set. Do you mind sharing what your all-in cost was on your setup?

THanks
    CJB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    Very well done! This is exactly what I'd like to get built up for my Stache 9. I've been looking at LB 50mm rims, but I'd prefer to go a tad more narrow. Problem is most of the narrower rims are not any lighter than the LB 50's. I'd L-O-V-E to have >1700gm wheel set. Do you mind sharing what your all-in cost was on your setup?

THanks
    CJB
    it was ~750eur not counting tools (tools were like 15+15+100 including stand), no discounts used, regular online shops bike24 (spokes/nipples/tools) and r2-bike (hubs).
    the rims itself were 235 with shipping, hubs ~400, spokes and nipples 120. few hundreds could be easily saved on hubs/spokes with minimal weight penalty, but still its cheaper than any branded carbon wheelsets that start from like 1100 here, so I was OK getting more expensive hubs and straighpull spokes for a "fun factor" (well and easier lacing for unexperienced me).

mtbr member
    ha, I only noticed right now that Newmen rear hub is 200g whike DT 350 is ~300 and DT 240 ~270. was thinking its like 20g difference buts its much more. so thats the place where I cheated on the plus wheelset weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My nextie rear wheel broke after the second ride

Awwww....

It was not the rim itself but the hub, I had developed an odd creak so I decided to take out the casette and who figures, the freehub mechanism was broken already, I don't know what's this hub made of but it's not made out of anything resistant.

You can hear it here creaking, yes it was the hub https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx6trHXbuw

Awww............................. I am so saaaaaaaaaaad...........

I give up bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feli View Post
    My nextie rear wheel broke after the second ride

Awwww....

It was not the rim itself but the hub, I had developed an odd creak so I decided to take out the casette and who figures, the freehub mechanism was broken already, I don't know what's this hub made of but it's not made out of anything resistant.

You can hear it here creaking, yes it was the hub https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx6trHXbuw

Awww............................. I am so saaaaaaaaaaad...........

I give up bikes.
    is it DT hub? take it apart (it can be pulled out without tools) and check ratchet rings. maybe something wrong with that 56T, should be easy to replace. rings are not very expensive and Nextie most probably will send replacement under warranty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Well, it is the fact that it's a aluminum freehub body with an steel casette (XT), the creak was in fact unrelated as after I did reassemble it (regardless it was broken) it still works and there's no creak, it had just loosen up (new bike so that happens), as I guessed it was just needing a bit of grease and more torque.

It is hard to see in the pictures, I thought it was doomed; it actually looks quite bad, in some parts almost the entire thing is gone broke.

https://imgur.com/a/Eqkck

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterLV View Post
    is it DT hub? take it apart (it can be pulled out without tools) and check ratchet rings. maybe something wrong with that 56T, should be easy to replace. rings are not very expensive and Nextie most probably will send replacement under warranty.

Well, it is the fact that it's a aluminum freehub body with an steel casette (XT), the creak was in fact unrelated as after I did reassemble it (regardless it was broken) it still works and there's no creak, it had just loosen up (new bike so that happens), as I guessed it was just needing a bit of grease and more torque.

It is hard to see in the pictures, I thought it was doomed; it actually looks quite bad, in some parts almost the entire thing is gone broke.

mtbr member

so it turned out good?
    that lockring on casette need to be torqued to 30-50NM (actual number is printed on lockring) which is alot of pressure using medium sized wrench. after that it should not get loose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It was torqued really good, the loose thing was the hub body itself, mostly because DT expects really good frame pressure and I wasn't generous there as I saw no frame specifications, regardless I just wanted to regrease and recheck every single part and I didn't expect it to be broken, you know, normal debugging procedure, but I just learned that those freehubs bodies are so delicate, I only have had steel ones, which are intact, explains why I was so freaked out and I just hope it doesn't break mid ride.

Yeah I can't blame nextie for this one the carbon parts have worked flawesly so far but now I realize why everyone picks an XD freehub body; now that I think about it, in that design, that shouldn't ever happen.

But it is still scary how weak that can be, I guess that at this point the casette and the hub have seized together, I'd give it a life expectancy of 1 year at most, once the casette dies so does the freehub; and then I'd just get the XD driver and sram casette, by the looks of it, that shouldn't happen with sram.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    My EIE assymetric i34 AM wheels are now mounted. The pair weighs 1782 g. Had some trouble making them tubeless as the tape I had was for skinnier rims. The only slight flaw was the colour. I ordered a clearer red pantone colour, but it turned out brownish red. It doesn't match my pantone bridge.(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20180225_165729.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20180225_165659.jpg

mtbr member
    I realize why everyone picks an XD freehub body; now that I think about it, in that design, that shouldn't ever happen.
    I still have issues with my XD drivers from time to time. I've had cassettes seize on those drivers as well. The last issue involved the rotating lock thread mechanism inside the 11 speed cassette itself broke. It was free spinning and would not engage to where I could unthread the cassette off. Hard to explain without showing if you are only used to Shimano style interfaces. There is just so much torque generated at this location and if you ride a lot, it will take a beating. I pull my cassettes off every couple months to inspect, clean, and regrease everything, so it wasn't due to neglect. Funny thing though, this was on a DT Swiss 370 hub. I agree it's a totally different design than the 240s or 350s (pawl, verus star ratchet) but still, have never had issues with my Hopes, Kings, or Hadleys. Go figure. All parts are replaceable/rebuidable, just really expensive and cost more than the rear wheel that came with the bike! (Yeti SB5c with DT Spline 1900M wheels - now Hope Evo/ Pro4 with Nextie 35mm).
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    Name:  width33-5_depth25_asymmetric_mtb_carbon_rim_tubeless_ready_3.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  22.4 KB

What do you think about this rim profile by Carbonfan? Anyone using them yet?
    https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...idth-27mm-30mm

To my inexperienced eye, it seems kinda like best of both worlds for XC to trail use for a light rider. Not too wide at 33.5 and shallow shoulders (sorta like Stans but not that extreme, but far form 30 mm deep) as to be less of a flip up rock target. Not too skinny at 25.5 inner as to give good tire up to 2.35 x 29 tire support. 4mm outside rim thickness (most are 3, some 2.5) for "impact resistance"?. 350g- pretty darned light for the width. Kinda weird asymmetrical rim bed/bead hump....why?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Noclutch; 02-26-2018 at 07:58 PM.

damned rocks...
    The bed is asymmetric so that the internal nipple holes align with the external nipple holes. That way you don't have the holes in the tire bed skewed to one side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The weight and width is pretty ideal for cross-country race rim using 2.0-2.2 tires. 4mm thick wall at bead is a little overkill for CC. Seems like you could cut weight and go larger ID by going w/ 3mm, or cut weight even more w/ smaller OD and keep ID at 25.5mm. Maybe 26mm ID and 32mm OD and get the weight to 330-340g?

mtbr member
    Name:  carbonfan_2017_asymmetric_carbon_mountain_bike_rims_td_series_32mm_26mm-29er_1.png
Views: 1922
Size:  16.8 KB

https://www.carbonfan.com/carbonfan-...rims-td-series
    This is the closest thing to it that they offer dimensionally, however it weighs in at 380 even in XC layup (AM 420). More symmetrical bed, thinner bead walls, and heavier.

That's why the previous one caught my eye with all of its unusual features. Not that different is necessarily better- sometimes it's not and you don't get something for nothing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you're building a truly XC wheelset here's the rim I'd use.

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/27-...mm-carbon-rim/
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    If you're building a truly XC wheelset here's the rim I'd use.

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/27-...mm-carbon-rim/
    Maybe even for a gravel grinder. XMCarbon has some with the same dimensions that would save you about $190 on a pair after you factor in shipping.

29er 27mm Wide T700/800 Full Carbon MTB Rim Clincher

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Name:  width33-5_depth25_asymmetric_mtb_carbon_rim_tubeless_ready_3.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  22.4 KB

What do you think about this rim profile by Carbonfan? Anyone using them yet?
    https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...idth-27mm-30mm

To my inexperienced eye, it seems kinda like best of both worlds for XC to trail use for a light rider. Not too wide at 33.5 and shallow shoulders (sorta like Stans but not that extreme, but far form 30 mm deep) as to be less of a flip up rock target. Not too skinny at 25.5 inner as to give good tire up to 2.35 x 29 tire support. 4mm outside rim thickness (most are 3, some 2.5) for "impact resistance"?. 350g- pretty darned light for the width. Kinda weird asymmetrical rim bed/bead hump....why?

Thoughts?
    Another option that's the same inner width (25 vs 25.5 is pretty close), a bit lighter and a bit cheaper.

mtbr member

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

Thanks Two tone and BXCc-not looking for a race XC set at all. Currently riding some (defunct and aging, and flexy) AC race 29er wheels, but they are at least 25/28 and Iím not looking to go narrower or much heavier. I do ride a lot of rocky quarry trails and looking for a little more support laterally for my Rons and Ralphís aired up at 20/22psi than a 22 inner would give.
    So looking for 25-26 inner to 33-35 outer AND sub 350g.

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

mtbr member
    Thanks Two tone and BXCc-not looking for a race XC set at all. Currently riding some (defunct and aging, and flexy) AC race 29er wheels, but they are at least 25/28 and Iím not looking to go narrower or much heavier. I do ride a lot of rocky quarry trails and looking for a little more support laterally for my Rons and Ralphís aired up at 20/22psi than a 22 inner would give.
    So looking for 25-26 inner to 33-35 outer AND sub 350g.

The Carbonfan rims or the XMCarbon ones I linked should serve the purpose with the XM ones being a little lighter and cheaper. I have 3 sets of rims from Peter and all have been stellar. Iíve never purchased from CarbonFan but they seem to be a great option and people have been happy with them.

mtbr member
    Yea those you linked are nice and light in the t800 lay up! Only thing is the 2.5mm bead walls.....significance?

mtbr member
    Yea those you linked are nice and light in the t800 lay up! Only thing is the 2.5mm bead walls.....significance?

Not necessarily. A friend of mine has been on these rims for 3 seasons and I used the earlier hooked bead version for 4 seasons with zero issues. They have a 2.5mm bead wall.
    27.5er 35mm wide AM carbon mtb bike rim 27.5

Here is another 350g option with a 3mm lip. But the inner width is 28mm. Depending on your tire width, it might be a better option.
    29er 34mm wide mtb 29 carbon rim clincher

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    While I'm all about saving money- it's why I went light bike vs NOX, one nice thing is that Light Bike does now have a US presence, so that is something to consider as well. Makes any warranty issues a lot easier to deal with.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    While I'm all about saving money- it's why I went light bike vs NOX, one nice thing is that Light Bike does now have a US presence, so that is something to consider as well. Makes any warranty issues a lot easier to deal with.
    That's definitely a good point. I keep thinking that I will order a 3rd rim as a back up and I won't have to worry about lengthy warranty issues but I always cheap out when it comes time to pay for it. $500 or so is still a great price for some rims and I would have a spare ready to go if needed.

mtbr member
    Yes I see that LB has both onshore and offshore "stores". I'm not about to build my own( haven't looked into true local wheel builders but I have my doubts........ Ocala Florida que the banjos area suggested builders appreciated!!), and it seems they only build with I9 or Onyx....why no DT, dangit? Their oriental outlet offers DT. So be it for noisy hubs or expense I'd ruled the American LB store out. Not being un Arerican, just being lazy AND pro DT. LOL

But regarding the bead wall thickness, the feedback is appreciated. I've never dinged or dented my rims (right light and somewhat cautious like older ex moto types have learned to do..) so I don't know the value of "ding/dent resistance".

Again, if I can make some AC Race wheels last 4 years, honestly unless there is a major mistake on the build, whomever does my wheels should be fine*, as long as they're spec'd as desired and weight what they should. And yea, I'm kinda penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to my toys! LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yes I see that LB has both onshore and offshore "stores". I'm not about to build my own( haven't looked into true local wheel builders but I have my doubts........ Ocala Florida area suggested builders appreciated!!), and it seems they only build with I9 or Onyx....why no DT, dangit? Their oriental outlet offers DT. So be it for noisy hubs or expense I'd ruled the American LB store out. Not being un Arerican, just being lazy AND pro DT. LOL But regarding the bead wall thickness, the feedback is appreciated. I've never dinged or dented my rims (right light and somewhat cautious like older ex moto types have learned to do..) so I don't know the value of "ding/dent resistance".

Again, if I can make some AC Race wheels last 4 years, honestly unless there is a major mistake on the build, whomever does my wheels should be fine*, as long as they're spec'd as desired and weight what they should. And yea, I'm kinda penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to my toys! LOL
    Plenty of non local builders, have them source everything and have the rims sent directly to them- that's what I did.

I've used Mike at lacemine29 and Dave at Speed dream wheels.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    If you buy the complete wheel sets you definitely want to buy in the country. If you order from China you're going to be subject to import duties unless they lie about the value.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    If you buy the complete wheel sets you definitely want to buy in the country. If you order from China you're going to be subject to import duties unless they lie about the value.
    Nothing personal or political, but I'm not aware of any import duties as applied to the end consumer in my neck of the woods of my country. LOL

Twotone- yes I'd talked to Mike many years ago before the interwebs really took affect on marketing/offering/pricing of custom wheels, and he seemed reasonable businessman indeed. Thanks for the reminder.

Sometimes it's hard to not get caught up in the anonymity of e-commerce.
    Last edited by Noclutch; 02-28-2018 at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H-akka View Post
    My EIE assymetric i34 AM wheels are now mounted. The pair weighs 1782 g. Had some trouble making them tubeless as the tape I had was for skinnier rims. The only slight flaw was the colour. I ordered a clearer red pantone colour, but it turned out brownish red. It doesn't match my pantone bridge.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180225_165729.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	1184714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180225_165659.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	1184715
    How are these? I'm looking at something similar. Did you order it from them as a wheelset or built the wheels yourself? What hubs are you using?
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    How are these? I'm looking at something similar. Did you order it from them as a wheelset or built the wheels yourself? What hubs are you using?
    I ordered them as wheelset with Hope Pro4 hubs. DT 240 hubs are much lighter so they might be worth it if you have the money. The wheels look good and seem to be built well. But we got so much snow now I'll save them for spring and use 27.5+ for now.

mtbr member
    I ordered them as wheelset with Hope Pro4 hubs. DT 240 hubs are much lighter so they might be worth it if you have the money. The wheels look good and seem to be built well. But we got so much snow now I'll save them for spring and use 27.5+ for now.
    Thanks. If I buy from them I've go with Hope hubs as well.
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    Thanks. If I buy from them I've go with Hope hubs as well.
    If the vendor has 240s hubs, they should be able to provide 350 hubs as well. If you go with centerlock (CL) rotors, it will save some extra weight with no extra cost to the wheels. You may need new rotors though. Once you factor in the additional $100 or so for the 54t ratchet, they are a decent balance between Hope and DT 240s. I posted this before in another thread but here it is again.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_4644.jpg

mtbr member
    You must be listing original MSRP on these hubs. Your listed Hopes and Kings for example are over $100 more than what I paid at Jenson or even Chain Reaction recently.
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    You must be listing original MSRP on these hubs. Your listed Hopes and Kings for example are over $100 more than what I paid at Jenson or even Chain Reaction recently.
    Yes. It was the only way to keep it consistent. DT and Hopes can be found at decent discounts most of the time. Others are hit or miss.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've owned 2 sets of LB 38/31.6 (650B) rims and really liked them. They held up great were nice and stiff and for my use that inner diameter worked out perfect. On my latest build I was interested to see if there was a way to drop some weight off the build and keep the reliability, I am not the lightest guy at 190lbs and will be riding an Ibis HD4 through rock gardens, so these won't live an easy life, having said that I don't have a history of breaking rims either..

Anywhoo
    I was looking at AS738C from xmcarbonspeed which drop 55g per rim
    EIE A650BC34D25 drop 40g per rim and are 34mm wide inside

was curious if anyone here had real world feedback on either of these

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    I've owned 2 sets of LB 38/31.6 (650B) rims and really liked them. They held up great were nice and stiff and for my use that inner diameter worked out perfect. On my latest build I was interested to see if there was a way to drop some weight off the build and keep the reliability, I am not the lightest guy at 190lbs and will be riding an Ibis HD4 through rock gardens, so these won't live an easy life, having said that I don't have a history of breaking rims either..

Anywhoo
    I was looking at AS738C from xmcarbonspeed which drop 55g per rim
    EIE A650BC34D25 drop 40g per rim and are 34mm wide inside

was curious if anyone here had real world feedback on either of these
    I will have the first ride on mine tonight so I can't provide much feedback just yet. My rims came in at 410g each and were 32mm wide (inner).

Here is my post on the wheels in this thread. Post #8482

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...l#post13524699

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    I will have the first ride on mine tonight so I can't provide much feedback just yet. My rims came in at 410g each and were 32mm wide (inner).

Here is my post on the wheels in this thread. Post #8482

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...l#post13524699
    Perfect - looking forward to your feedback,

On a semi-related note is there any concern that the Hope or DT hubs being shipped on wheelbuilds from China are knockoffs? Afterall Hope's are UK made so hard to see Chinese manufacturers importing UK goods and reselling them. Also there are some similar looking knockoffs on Aliexpress... just thinking out loud

mtbr member

On a semi-related note is there any concern that the Hope or DT hubs being shipped on wheelbuilds from China are knockoffs? Afterall Hope's are UK made so hard to see Chinese manufacturers importing UK goods and reselling them. Also there are some similar looking knockoffs on Aliexpress... just thinking out loud
    I'm not sure about the AliExpress stuff but a friend of mine got the KHR934C rims laced to DT 350 hubs from XMCarbon this past summer for her Tallboy 3. They have been great so far and appeared to be authentic. The 54t ratchet kit slid right into place and everything worked as it should. Probably 750 to 1000 miles on them so far.

mtbr member
    I have one ride in but it's an indoor ride so it's a little skewed. I did ride off some mini table tops that were 2 1/2 feet high or so on to flat. One landing was a little harder on the rear than it should have been and everything is still straight and true. No creaking or cracking so that's a plus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My EIE assymetric i34 AM wheels are now mounted. The pair weighs 1782 g. Had some trouble making them tubeless as the tape I had was for skinnier rims. The only slight flaw was the colour. I ordered a clearer red pantone colour, but it turned out brownish red. It doesn't match my pantone bridge.
    I think they actually do get the color right, but you have to specify that you want it glossy. Matte doesn't have the same color gamut. The site is a little confusing, it shows matte rims with glossy logos (almost like stickers), but that's not how they ship by default. If you just say glossy without specifying the logos alone, they'll clearcoat everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by nzambec2 View Post
    Attachment 1180739

Ultralight 30mm Nexties laced with DT Swiss competition race spokes and Hope Pro 4 hubs. ended up at 1,436g for the wheelset, and $850 USD built.
    Did that include the Enve stickers?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    I think they actually do get the color right, but you have to specify that you want it glossy. Matte doesn't have the same color gamut. The site is a little confusing, it shows matte rims with glossy logos (almost like stickers), but that's not how they ship by default. If you just say glossy without specifying the logos alone, they'll clearcoat everything.
    I understand. But it also doesn't match 201U which is matte, Pantone to NCS, which i guess spray paint is using, is no perfect match. But I didn't have a NCS chart at home when I ordered. But it's not a big issue anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    Did that include the Enve stickers?
    No, I spent an additional $12 on the decals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just finished up a week in Georgia at Fort Mountain State Park. My wheels for my '18 Epic (Nextie Ultralight 30mm 28h laced with dt comp race spokes and hope pro4 hubs, 1,436g) held up with no hiccups.

The trails were not overly rocky, and did not have anything "enduro features" on them, but the wheels were great. light, stiff, and fast. If you are looking for an XC rim, this is the one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by nzambec2 View Post
    Just finished up a week in Georgia at Fort Mountain State Park. My wheels for my '18 Epic (Nextie Ultralight 30mm 28h laced with dt comp race spokes and hope pro4 hubs, 1,436g) held up with no hiccups.

The trails were not overly rocky, and did not have anything "enduro features" on them, but the wheels were great. light, stiff, and fast. If you are looking for an XC rim, this is the one.
    1,436 is stupid light (in a good way). I'm now dreaming about a pair of "spare" wheels for the rare occasions I race.

mtbr member
    Iíve had a handful of rides on my Ultra-lights now as well and have zero complaints. A couple of the trails where quite rocky too. Managed to jack up my back but, the rims a pristine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I will be purchasing a wheel set from either xmcarbonspeed, carbonfan or light bicycle and had a question.

It appears that these companies vary in price on built wheels. Light Bicycle and Carbonfan seem more expensive and xmcarbonspeed is the cheapest. Of course, the rims I am looking at for LB and CF are asymmetric.

All will be built on DT 240s with shimano driver, 28 hole and CX ray spokes. I am going for the UD Matte finish.
    I am comparing the following models:
    xmcarbonspeed CSXMW-HR927C, carbonfan TD-wheel-32-25-29er, lightbicycle 29C19

My question is, why is xmcarbonspeed so much cheaper? They are over $400 cheaper than carbonfan and over $200 cheaper than light bicycle. Is there a big difference in quality... or is just because the more expensive rims are asymmetric? Is it worth more to go with LB or CF?

Additionally, the xmcarbonspeed wheels are claimed to be ~150g lighter than the lightbicycle rims and they are a bit wider.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Aren't those xmcarbonspeed rims 27mm outer, 22mm inner width - narrower than your choices from Carbonfan and LB? That explains some of the weight. As to why they're cheaper, people pay for reputation. As LB and CF have built up a reputation for reliability they've found they could get away with charging more - opening up room for competition like XMC.

mtbr member
    its called value adding process.
    even if the only difference is on packaging label, value is still added and can severely adjust price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noremorse1 View Post
    I will be purchasing a wheel set from either xmcarbonspeed, carbonfan or light bicycle and had a question.

It appears that these companies vary in price on built wheels. Light Bicycle and Carbonfan seem more expensive and xmcarbonspeed is the cheapest. Of course, the rims I am looking at for LB and CF are asymmetric.

All will be built on DT 240s with shimano driver, 28 hole and CX ray spokes. I am going for the UD Matte finish.
    I am comparing the following models:
    xmcarbonspeed CSXMW-HR927C, carbonfan TD-wheel-32-25-29er, lightbicycle 29C19

My question is, why is xmcarbonspeed so much cheaper? They are over $400 cheaper than carbonfan and over $200 cheaper than light bicycle. Is there a big difference in quality... or is just because the more expensive rims are asymmetric? Is it worth more to go with LB or CF?

Additionally, the xmcarbonspeed wheels are claimed to be ~150g lighter than the lightbicycle rims and they are a bit wider.

Thanks!
    I have 3 sets of XMC rims and a friend has a complete wheelset from Peter. His prices are tough to beat and he has great service. That being said, are all the rims the same material and dimensions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    Aren't those xmcarbonspeed rims 27mm outer, 22mm inner width - narrower than your choices from Carbonfan and LB? That explains some of the weight. As to why they're cheaper, people pay for reputation. As LB and CF have built up a reputation for reliability they've found they could get away with charging more - opening up room for competition like XMC.
    You are right, those are 27mm external/22mm internal. Looks like I want to go with CSXMW-FHR930C which is 30mm extern. Still over 100grams claimed weight lighter than the 24mm internal light bicycle equiv ones I am looking at.

If it was you, which would you pick based on quality/reputation/service?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have 3 sets of XMC rims and a friend has a complete wheelset from Peter. His prices are tough to beat and he has great service. That being said, are all the rims the same material and dimensions?
    Thanks. I am leaning towards XMC. I have not read anything bad about them and it seems Peter is great to work with. I have also heard good things about Carbon Fan... but they are over $400 more.

The Lightbicycle and Carbon Fan wheels are asymmetric. XMC does not offer build of the asymmetric they offer. Other than that, they are very similar with just 1 mm different of internal width.

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Thanks. I am leaning towards XMC. I have not read anything bad about them and it seems Peter is great to work with. I have also heard good things about Carbon Fan... but they are over $400 more.

The Lightbicycle and Carbon Fan wheels are asymmetric. XMC does not offer build of the asymmetric they offer. Other than that, they are very similar with just 1 mm different of internal width.

Go asymmetric for more even spoke tension. As someone shopping for a carbon wheelset I have narrowed it down to LB or Carbonfan simply because they keep advancing the product with design and materials, which is something that I do not see other sellers pursuing. For whatever that's worth.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Go asymmetric for more even spoke tension. As someone shopping for a carbon wheelset I have narrowed it down to LB or Carbonfan simply because they keep advancing the product with design and materials, which is something that I do not see other sellers pursuing. For whatever that's worth.
    Thanks. The LB price is about $200 more than XMC. I have read a lot of good things about asymmetric... especially when it comes to carbon.

mtbr member
    If it was you, which would you pick based on quality/reputation/service?
    If it was me, I would go with the KHR934C rims from XMC with the T800 layup, DT 350 Centerlock hubs, and CX-Ray spokes. Total cost would be around $850 with a weight of 1400ish grams. If you want narrower rims, the FHR930C rims in T700 would save you $60ish but would weight 60 grams more. Also, if you go with centerlock rotors, the weight difference between 240s hubs and 350 hubs is about 50 grams. Peterís cost difference (240s vs 350) is around $180 if I recall correctly.

I have asymmetrical and standard carbon wheels. I canít tell a difference. I choose base off of width and weight. My latest set is asymmetrical only because thatís the only 32mm inner width rim Peter has.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    If it was me, I would go with the KHR934C rims from XMC with the T800 layup, DT 350 Centerlock hubs, and CX-Ray spokes. Total cost would be around $850 with a weight of 1400ish grams. If you want narrower rims, the FHR930C rims in T700 would save you $60ish but would weight 60 grams more. Also, if you go with centerlock rotors, the weight difference between 240s hubs and 350 hubs is about 50 grams. Peterís cost difference (240s vs 350) is around $180 if I recall correctly.

I have asymmetrical and standard carbon wheels. I canít tell a difference. I choose base off of width and weight. My latest set is asymmetrical only because thatís the only 32mm inner width rim Peter has.
    Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for your input!
    I don't know if they're still doing their "early adopter" program, but worth an email to Carbonfan about any special pricing. I have a set of their 30ext/24int asymmetric T800 skyweights with DT240 centerlock weighting 1280g for the pair that have been awesome so far for a year. Great quality, great price and service. Ive only hand built a few wheels in my life, but the validity of asymmetric and balancing of spoke tension just makes sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Maybe you didn't do enough homework on XMcarbonspeed's products

These are the 30mm asymmetric 29 boost wheels from XMcarbonspeed: Super light T800 29 Plus mtb bike wheels carbon

These are the XC asym rims from Peter's company: XC Asymmetric

Go and check with Peter, they should be able to build any combo wheels with any rims and hubs they have.

mtbr member
    Speaking of xmcarbonspeed, how comes the AM 38mm rim is lighter than the 36mm?

29er 36mm wide Asymmetric carbon rim mtb
    29er 38mm wide Asymmetric carbon rim mtb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Speaking of xmcarbonspeed, how comes the AM 38mm rim is lighter than the 36mm?

29er 36mm wide Asymmetric carbon rim mtb
    29er 38mm wide Asymmetric carbon rim mtb

I thought the same thing when I bought mine. I got the 27.5 version of the AS938C rims and requested a stronger layup. Mine were both 410 grams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by allenc View Post
    Maybe you didn't do enough homework on XMcarbonspeed's products

These are the 30mm asymmetric 29 boost wheels from XMcarbonspeed: Super light T800 29 Plus mtb bike wheels carbon

These are the XC asym rims from Peter's company: XC Asymmetric

Go and check with Peter, they should be able to build any combo wheels with any rims and hubs they have.
    I dont have a boost frame, so dont need boost hubs. I dont see anywhere on the site where they offer asymmetric wheel builds. I see the rims... but not the wheel builds.

This is where I am looking:
    XC

mtbr member
    I dont have a boost frame, so dont need boost hubs. I dont see anywhere on the site where they offer asymmetric wheel builds. I see the rims... but not the wheel builds.

This is where I am looking:
    XC
    Just pick the rims you want and send a message to Peter through the site. He can then give you the best price on the options you select. He can build any of his rims to DT, Bitex or Novatec hubs using any of the Sapim spokes.
    I know it isnít as simple as CarbonFanís site, but it does give you more options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just pick the rims you want and send a message to Peter through the site. He can then give you the best price on the options you select. He can build any of his rims to DT, Bitex or Novatec hubs using any of the Sapim spokes.
    I know it isnít as simple as CarbonFanís site, but it does give you more options.
    Good to know. I have been running Bitex hubs for the past 2 seasons and love them. Glad to know that is an option. I just rebuilt the rear hubs with new freehub and pressed in new bearings. Based on the info I found on CarbonFan for weights... it looks like the Bitex hubs fall between the 240s and 350 as far as weight goes.

I am going for gold on this wheel build and plan to splurge for the 240s hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I also just found their .com site. I was using the Chinese site previously. This makes more sense now on contacting him for quotes.

mtbr member
    I also just found their .com site. I was using the Chinese site previously. This makes more sense now on contacting him for quotes.
    The .cn site is relatively new for him and it's somewhat easier for buying the stuff he has on the site. But if you want to customize anything, sending him a message is the best route as he is normally very accommodating. The .com site has more products too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    The .cn site is relatively new for him and it's somewhat easier for buying the stuff he has on the site. But if you want to customize anything, sending him a message is the best route as he is normally very accommodating. The .com site has more products too.
    Already exchanged a few emails with Peter. Seems like a very nice guy... and super fast responses.

The XMC prices are really good. So good that I think I am going to opt for T800 over T700.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Can anyone speak to rim depth when it comes to asymmetric carbon wheels? The two wheels I am now deciding between, one at XMC the other at CF, seem to have lower rim depth. The XMC is 30mm wide, 25mm internal and only 22mm deep. The CF is 30mm wide, 24mm internal and 24mm deep.

Both of those depths seem on the low side... especially the XMC rim.

What are the disadvantages of a low depth rim? I know with aluminum it can influence stiffness... but carbon is naturally stiffer. Is that still a concern? These are not road rims, so I dont think aerodynamics will play a factor here.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Question for previous CarbonFan buyers: Do you receive a tracking email when the rims/wheels are on their way?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Typical EMS to the states. Tracking number, then a bit of a black hole while it's on the ship, then pops up in local tracking, delivered. A few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    Typical EMS to the states. Tracking number, then a bit of a black hole while it's on the ship, then pops up in local tracking, delivered. A few weeks.
    Do they make you pay any taxes or duty when it is delivered? I am confused about that portion of it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Do they make you pay any taxes or duty when it is delivered? I am confused about that portion of it.
    I've never had to for any of my carbon rims.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can anyone speak to rim depth when it comes to asymmetric carbon wheels? The two wheels I am now deciding between, one at XMC the other at CF, seem to have lower rim depth. The XMC is 30mm wide, 25mm internal and only 22mm deep. The CF is 30mm wide, 24mm internal and 24mm deep.

Both of those depths seem on the low side... especially the XMC rim.

What are the disadvantages of a low depth rim? I know with aluminum it can influence stiffness... but carbon is naturally stiffer. Is that still a concern? These are not road rims, so I dont think aerodynamics will play a factor here.

Thanks.
    How much do you weigh, what kind of riding do you intend to do on these, and do you pinch flat often?

I got those 30mm ~310g T800 rims, and, just looking at them,I don't reckon they'd take much abuse. I haven't put the calipers to them, but they look a bit under 30mm external, with a lip that is not much more than 2mm.

That said, I got these for purely for xc racing, and reckon they should hold up, as I rarely get flat tyres.

From the research I've done, I see the low height as an advantage, giving a bit more compliance - and I am having a play with thin more elastic NDS spokes to hopefully counter spokes loosening. Dunno if there are any disadvantages of the low height. The new notubes rims are taking things to the extreme - touting extra comfort from their sub-20mm rim heights. Maybe you should Google some conversations on those rims and report back if anyone can think of any downsides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    How much do you weigh, what kind of riding do you intend to do on these, and do you pinch flat often?

I got those 30mm ~310g T800 rims, and, just looking at them,I don't reckon they'd take much abuse. I haven't put the calipers to them, but they look a bit under 30mm external, with a lip that is not much more than 2mm.

That said, I got these for purely for xc racing, and reckon they should hold up, as I rarely get flat tyres.

From the research I've done, I see the low height as an advantage, giving a bit more compliance - and I am having a play with thin more elastic NDS spokes to hopefully counter spokes loosening. Dunno if there are any disadvantages of the low height. The new notubes rims are taking things to the extreme - touting extra comfort from their sub-20mm rim heights. Maybe you should Google some conversations on those rims and report back if anyone can think of any downsides.
    I race XC and ride trails. I am looking for this wheelset to be my race day wheelset... with the occasional group ride on them. I have never pinch flatted and only burped my tire occasionally when I am running pressure around 18-20. However, I have found my sweet spot is 24psi front and 25psi rear and havent had a problem since.

I am looking at some of the other wheelsets on both sites now with more traditional depths of 25 or higher.

I just checked Stans site and found the Podium SRD wheelset with a depth of 18.7mm. Wow... that is very low. Going to find some reviews of this and see what people are saying. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So... it seems the big takeaway for the shallow rim depth, at least from what Stan's claims on their super shallow Podium SRD, is that it can take up to a 10mm deflection and return to its normal shape. They are able to do this because of the carbon layup they are using.

It looks like XMC is doing something similar here, but not as extreme. The T800 carbon layup is lighter and stronger. The shallow rim depth benefits from the strength, and will probably have higher deflection without a cracked rim.

Obviously, a shallower rim will also be lighter... and thats the real goal here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of wheels from XM Carbonspeed.

KAS930C 29er asym rims T800 28/28H UD matt with spoke holes in rim bed
    DT 350S centerlock hubs 28/28H straight pull for 100x15/142x12 with Shimano 11S driver
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    Sapim self-securing nipples

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of wheels from XM Carbonspeed...
    If you don't mind saying, what was the total shipped cost on these?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just pulled the trigger and ordered a set of wheels from XM Carbonspeed.

KAS930C 29er asym rims T800 28/28H UD matt with spoke holes in rim bed
    DT 350S centerlock hubs 28/28H straight pull for 100x15/142x12 with Shimano 11S driver
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    Sapim self-securing nipples
    Good choice. In my limited experience dealing with Chinese sellers, the operations that Peter is involved with (xmiplay, xmcarbonspeed) are the only ones that delivered on their promises.

Given the description of your intended usage, those wheels sound ideal.

My wheelset will be pretty much identical to yours (same rims, CL, SP non-boost hubs), but with the 240s version of those hubs, super cx-ray spokes on the lower tension sides, and brass nipples. Otherwise the same, except for gloss finish.

Using old spokes, I've only built one wheel as a tester to be sure of spoke lengths (found the claimed ERD to be way off), and am still waiting for some spokes to complete the final build.

They look pretty promising. My test front wheel build is under 600g with brass nipples and heavier spokes. The minor offset in those assymetric rims seems to have a big impact, with the differential in tensions found to be much closer than usual, so should make for a strong build, even at an estimated sub-1300g.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    Good choice. In my limited experience dealing with Chinese sellers, the operations that Peter is involved with (xmiplay, xmcarbonspeed) are the only ones that delivered on their promises.

Given the description of your intended usage, those wheels sound ideal.

My wheelset will be pretty much identical to yours (same rims, CL, SP non-boost hubs), but with the 240s version of those hubs, super cx-ray spokes on the lower tension sides, and brass nipples. Otherwise the same, except for gloss finish.

Using old spokes, I've only built one wheel as a tester to be sure of spoke lengths (found the claimed ERD to be way off), and am still waiting for some spokes to complete the final build.

They look pretty promising. My test front wheel build is under 600g with brass nipples and heavier spokes. The minor offset in those assymetric rims seems to have a big impact, with the differential in tensions found to be much closer than usual, so should make for a strong build, even at an estimated sub-1300g.
    I was originally planning on going with the 240s hubs. However, after shipping and paypal fees, my cost was just over $1000 and that was too much for me. The 240s hubs save about 70-80 grams on the build, even with 350 hubs, is 1 1/2 pounds lighter than my current wheelset (wtb frequency i25 on 32 hole j-bend bitex hubs with sapim race spokes).

I am a little nervous about aluminum nipples as I have heard various opinions on them. The save about 15+ grams per wheel though so I am going to risk it.

I think my wheel should be just under 1350 grams with valves and tape. I ran that number calculating the rims as 320 grams and the margin on them is 310 +/-10 grams.

You will gain about 25-30 grams on mine with those brass nipples, but save about 60-70 with the 240 hubs. I think you will squeak in under 1300.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    If you don't mind saying, what was the total shipped cost on these?
    I am not sure on the etiquette here as it was a custom quote that I agreed to with Peter via emails back and forth. I can say that it is much cheaper than the equivalent I found at CF and LB.

In fact, it is over $150 less than the most equivalent wheel with an identical build at CF... and that is before CF shipping and paypal fees. So probably about a savings of $300 dollars over CF.

mtbr member
    I'm about to order these:
    Super light T800 29 Plus mtb bike wheels carbon
    w/ T800, Boost Dt 240s, 28H, Cx-rays

This is for my hardtail for XC racing, I ride aggressive but saving this for XC races/terrain, not enduro and big drops. I weigh 153.

Peter has been very responsive. We have gone back and forth and had some more questions that might be too detailed. I assume they can't do a rim with no internal drilling (smooth bed so no tubeless tape needed) right?

Maybe it is easier and saves weight to have holes anyway, even after adding tape. Not sure. Came across this thread and sounds like Tyvek adds only 9g. Anyone know what Stan's tape weighs and what the proper tape width is? Do I only need to cover the very center to cover the spoke holes?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...ad-926021.html

What do they typically do for decals etc? Was planning on them being plain.

FYI: going from 18T to 36T adds $50. They don't do 54T.

$10/wheel to assemble. I was thinking of just gettign the parts but not when it is that cheap.

Any driving reason to ask for internal drilling and internal nipples?
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    With a rim height of only 22mm, it might not be physically possible to manoeuvre nipples in there without holes in the rim bed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    Do I only need to cover the very center to cover the spoke holes?
    I don't know what everyone else does, but I always use the widest tape that will fit. For these 25mm internal rims, that means 25mm tape. Or, given the curve in the rim bed, I might be able to fit 26-27mm tape in there. I try to make sure the tyre bead is pressing the tape into the rim, as I am paranoid of the tape edges lifting, and getting a leak through a rim bed hole. If that happens, you then get sealant coming into contact with the nipple heads. I've read enough stories on what happens when you mix certain sealants with carbon rims and certain nipples (alloy ones). Even with brass nipples, and making sure sealant stays away,I was surprised how green my brass nipple heads were when I disassembled my 4 year old carbon wheels recently.

Putting narrow tape in that covers just the holes sounds to me to be way to increase the risk of eventually springing a leak.

mtbr member
    ^^ditto

Members who have read this thread: 731