Page 85 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889 LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,500 of 8852
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm considering a carbonfan 35mm 29er build w/ DT350 hubs w/ the 54t upgrade. Under $800 and a little over 1600g. I've known riders who have had good experience with Carbonfan and I plan to check the wheelbuild tension and true.

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    I'm considering a carbonfan 35mm 29er build w/ DT350 hubs w/ the 54t upgrade. Under $800 and a little over 1600g. I've known riders who have had good experience with Carbonfan and I plan to check the wheelbuild tension and true.
    I ordered that same set. Should be here any day now.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Got my Nextie rims.

Initial impressions:

On the Premium 29 rims - finish work isn't bad. However, Nextie says on their site that they will be within 0.15mm flatness/roundness. The card attached clearly shows that the rims are outside the guaranteed QC variance. I think that's pretty poor form!

The Asym 27.5 rims are horribly build finished. Very very VERY poorly done. The sidewalls were not build with enough resin and have already started to delaminate - you can stick your finger nail in-between the layers. Design is also pretty terrible - spoke holes on the tire side are centered while the spoke hols on the hub side are asymmetric, so they barely line up. It would be impossible to use a proper nipple driver/nipple wrench to build these - so much for the expensive squorx nips I bought. But, I won't use them anyways because the sidewalls look terrible.

So far, not impressed with Nextie. Definitely not worth the price premium. Not likely I'd evey buy a set to lace and resell to one of my own customers.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nextie QC Pass:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-1174905-btlos-carbon-rims-new-well-priced-chinese-mfg-retail-option-psx_20171229_172243.jpg
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Nextie QC Pass:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1174905-btlos-carbon-rims-new-well-priced-chinese-mfg-retail-option-psx_20171229_172243.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	1175083
    WOW! That is bad form. I hope you moved the sticker to that spot because if they put it there, well thatís just not good. Iím fully aware that there is some assumed risk with the quality of generic carbon but that should have been caught and never shipped out.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BXCc View Post
    WOW! That is bad form. I hope you moved the sticker to that spot because if they put it there, well thatís just not good. Iím fully aware that there is some assumed risk with the quality of generic carbon but that should have been caught and never shipped out.
    No, lol. I did not move the sticker. The entire rim looks like this, in spots wrapping all the way around. The pair is bad, the other a little better but still not acceptable.

I can't believe they shipped these out. They are fit for the garbage bin.(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-dsc04304sm.jpg
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    No, lol. I did not move the sticker. The entire rim looks like this, in spots wrapping all the way around. The pair is bad, the other a little better but still not acceptable.

I can't believe they shipped these out. They are fit for the garbage bin.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04304sm.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	1175109
    I would have to agree with you on this. Have you filed a claim? Where did you purchase this set? From the site when you ordered the not so "Premium" rims or from eBay? Nextie has some good prices on eBay right now so I'm wondering if these are the "Promotion" rims they have listed.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I bought a set of premium and ordered a not-so-premium rims in addition. These would be the not-so-premium rims. Bought direct from Nextie.

I've e-mailed Nextie with pic's and to let them know I'm not happy.

The premium rims were also not within the tolerance for flatness and roundness they guarantee on their website
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I had an issue with a order from Nextie, and as unfortunate as it was to have to deal with it, I have to say that they took care of it as expediently as i could hope for. Let them know, I'll be surprised if they fail to take care of you.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitrin View Post
    I had an issue with a order from Nextie, and as unfortunate as it was to have to deal with it, I have to say that they took care of it as expediently as i could hope for. Let them know, I'll be surprised if they fail to take care of you.
    I hope so! Frustrating regardless. And embarassing when this set of for someone else.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just ordered 4 more rims from Nextie since I was so happy with my first set. Will be interested to hear about the resolution.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I just ordered 4 more rims from Nextie since I was so happy with my first set. Will be interested to hear about the resolution.
    Still no response from Nextie. I wrote on the 29th. I assume they are not responding because it's the holidays, so I'll give them another day or so. If nothing by the 3rd, I'll be openning a PayPal dispute for sure.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nextie is back from holidays. They have been very apologetic. They are lining up a new set for me tomorrow, and have refunded me a small amount as a token apology. I'm pretty happy with the response! Good guys, Brian and Max.

Sounds like they were bad samples they had lying around and did not mean to sell/ship them. The next set should be factory fresh.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    I hate to say it, but those are some of the nastiest looking carbon rims... guaranteed to de-laminate after a good rock hit. Sucks you had to deal with that and the odds weren't in your favor (maybe stay away from Vegas for a while?). That said, though..
    I would expect nothing less from them for customer service. They actually out-sold a set that I had purchased on Ebay last year. They contacted me a few days after the sale and asked if they could "upgrade me" to a thicker walled and heavier set of rims (extra DH layup build for an all-mountain rim set). This is actually what I wanted all along, but they were sold out at the time. They had just made a batch of these beefier rims and reached out to me to inquire about the substitution. I have been smashing these rims for 8 months 3 times a week and cannot destroy them. Perhaps it was the excellent wheel builder... (me). (Build: Hope Pro 4 hubs, Wheelsmith 14/15 DB spokes, aluminum 16mm nips, built to 125 to 130kgf, running tubeless at 27 psi) Me: 215# w/o gear, very aggressive expert rider). When in doubt, reach out to them and see what they can do for you. They are very very busy, but also extremely accommodating. 1-1/2 weeks from overseas was all it took to get mine. I will be buying more sets from them when I decide on hubs for a new Devinci Troy. Cheers
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2_mountain_bike View Post
    I hate to say it, but those are some of the nastiest looking carbon rims... guaranteed to de-laminate after a good rock hit. Sucks you had to deal with that and the odds weren't in your favor (maybe stay away from Vegas for a while?). That said, though..
    I would expect nothing less from them for customer service. They actually out-sold a set that I had purchased on Ebay last year. They contacted me a few days after the sale and asked if they could "upgrade me" to a thicker walled and heavier set of rims (extra DH layup build for an all-mountain rim set). This is actually what I wanted all along, but they were sold out at the time. They had just made a batch of these beefier rims and reached out to me to inquire about the substitution. I have been smashing these rims for 8 months 3 times a week and cannot destroy them. Perhaps it was the excellent wheel builder... (me). (Build: Hope Pro 4 hubs, Wheelsmith 14/15 DB spokes, aluminum 16mm nips, built to 125 to 130kgf, running tubeless at 27 psi) Me: 215# w/o gear, very aggressive expert rider). When in doubt, reach out to them and see what they can do for you. They are very very busy, but also extremely accommodating. 1-1/2 weeks from overseas was all it took to get mine. I will be buying more sets from them when I decide on hubs for a new Devinci Troy. Cheers
    Really glad to hear. Was following the thread to see what the resolution would be like. If you don't mind, would love to read your thoughts (and see pictures) of the replacements they send!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy13 View Post
    That's what I was looking at as well. But I didn't find where on the build description or site does it list the total wheelset weight as per spec?
    Light Bicycle tallies it up as you go, but dunno on the Carbonfan site.

mtbr member
    The question is if the QC sticker on your new rims is going to be worth more than the sticker on the current rims. For every defect you see, there are many more you don't. Especially in carbon which is a manual process.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have ordered from EIE now. Asymmetric 29:er wheels with Hope hubs. I will report on how long it takes and how the quality is.

mtbr member
    I just built a set of the Nextie AM35 29 hoops for someone. They were fine, actually had a very nice finish to them. I have another set for my own use that I'll be lacing soon. I got mine with the matte black logo and they look awesome. They'll go good on my Following which is all black.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    I just built a set of the Nextie AM35 29 hoops for someone. They were fine, actually had a very nice finish to them. I have another set for my own use that I'll be lacing soon. I got mine with the matte black logo and they look awesome. They'll go good on my Following which is all black.
    Mind sharing a few pics when you get it all set up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kieljon View Post
    Will do.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Taxes will not be collected by the seller. They may be handled by the freight company delivering in your country.
    For a wheelset also look at CarbonFan for a DT350 hubs with 54t upgrade build.
    I actually went to nextie at the end, I got a nice (small) discount on top of the chrismas sale; got some DT240 54T straightpull with pillar spokes and the XC version of premium asymmetric NXT29XA32, 28 spokes; I got taxes paid, but overall this is the most expensive part I bought for my bike so far; but I hope the performance pays for it.

I haven't heard from nextie since I bought it, I guess mine will be one of the last ones in the batch; but we are covered in snow in here so MTBing is futile until spring; so it's about waiting.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Feli View Post
    I actually went to nextie at the end, I got a nice (small) discount on top of the chrismas sale; got some DT240 54T straightpull with pillar spokes and the XC version of premium asymmetric NXT29XA32, 28 spokes; I got taxes paid, but overall this is the most expensive part I bought for my bike so far; but I hope the performance pays for it.

I haven't heard from nextie since I bought it, I guess mine will be one of the last ones in the batch; but we are covered in snow in here so MTBing is futile until spring; so it's about waiting.
    Nextie are friendly, and eventually will reply to emails, but not stellar on timely responses. I assume they are backed up from the holidays as they took time off. It's frustrating. With the the time difference, it can take days to finalized a few small details or get clarity around something that should be fairly simple. I've found some other sellers to be much more responsive in my short time looking to pick up a supplier for carbon rims.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Nextie are friendly, and eventually will reply to emails, but not stellar on timely responses. I assume they are backed up from the holidays as they took time off. It's frustrating. With the the time difference, it can take days to finalized a few small details or get clarity around something that should be fairly simple. I've found some other sellers to be much more responsive in my short time looking to pick up a supplier for carbon rims.
    Having bought from Nextie and others, I can agree with this. Nextie is definitely a reputable company, but contacting Peter from XMCarbon with FB Messenger is just so easy and convenient. I donít get the standard ďI donít understand, Iím using a translatorĒ from Peter either so commutation is a breeze.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Having bought from Nextie and others, I can agree with this. Nextie is definitely a reputable company, but contacting Peter from XMCarbon with FB Messenger is just so easy and convenient. I donít get the standard ďI donít understand, Iím using a translatorĒ from Peter either so commutation is a breeze.
    Trying to manage getting replacements for the set that arrived with the whack resin job and delamination. It's next to impossible to get a guarantee the next see will be made properly. It's literally taking days to explain and get some guarantee on the most trivial stuff, like proper spoke hole drilling. And then they come back with things, they are giving me different rim measurements and so on, which causes issues because I already have Salim d-lights purchases and in hand to lace wheels on the original dimensions.

In stark contrast, I have been talking with BTLOS, after purchasing two sets of their rims now, one for my own analysis/comparison and one for a friend to lace up, and Lily has been a true gem. Very responsive, and not just in the narrow 3-4 hour band of time I should be in deep sleep. Her English is superb, and she is knowledgable, and smack dab in the middle of a factory so she can get detailed answers quick. When they get a few more rim profiles open, I think they will be one of the top options. Until then, they still have a few goodies, and amazing service. My BTLOS ship tonight while I sleep - looking forward to handling them.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've been a huge consumer of information on this site while I figure out what I want to build and am thankful for all the information you guys have put out there for me to digest.

I am building some 29+ wheels (for my Trek Stache) and was torn what width to buy. I messaged back and forth with BTLOS and Carbonfan and have similar experience as others. BTLOS was incredibly quick to respond, Carbonfan usually had a day or two lead time. I ended up going with Carbonfan because they offered the width closer to what I have now. BTLOS said they were expecting new molds in 1-2 months for something closer to what I wanted, but I just didn't want to wait.

Carbonfan didn't show an offset spoke hole drilling option for the for the rim I wanted, but after a couple days they responded that the option had been added to their website - and sure enough it was there, ready to be selected. I ordered them on Christmas day, and hadn't heard anything until I sent a message asking the status yesterday. I got a response that they still need a few days to finish the rims. It's been ridiculously cold recently, so I am not in a huge hurry, but I am looking forward to building them.

I'll share my thoughts when I get them.

mtbr member
    I ordered superlite cx wheels from carbonfan Dec 30th. Had also just received another set of cx wheels that were not the superlite model. Looking to see actual weight difference between the two sets. Both have exact same hub specs. First set was 1410gr and looked great. Dt350 straight pull 28 hole thru axle dt driver.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by carrier View Post
    I've been a huge consumer of information on this site while I figure out what I want to build and am thankful for all the information you guys have put out there for me to digest.

I am building some 29+ wheels (for my Trek Stache) and was torn what width to buy. I messaged back and forth with BTLOS and Carbonfan and have similar experience as others. BTLOS was incredibly quick to respond, Carbonfan usually had a day or two lead time. I ended up going with Carbonfan because they offered the width closer to what I have now. BTLOS said they were expecting new molds in 1-2 months for something closer to what I wanted, but I just didn't want to wait.

Carbonfan didn't show an offset spoke hole drilling option for the for the rim I wanted, but after a couple days they responded that the option had been added to their website - and sure enough it was there, ready to be selected. I ordered them on Christmas day, and hadn't heard anything until I sent a message asking the status yesterday. I got a response that they still need a few days to finish the rims. It's been ridiculously cold recently, so I am not in a huge hurry, but I am looking forward to building them.

I'll share my thoughts when I get them.
    What rims did you go with exactly? Want to post a link?
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    1st set already received are 700c road gravel clincher 29mm wide 21 ID. Wheels on order are 28 OD 22ID superlite t800.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    What rims did you go with exactly? Want to post a link?
    I went with these: https://www.carbonfan.com/carbon-mou...epth-25mm-29er

They have all the same numbers as another one they offer (which look to be exactly the same as the Nextie Crocodile) but I liked the smoother inner surface better on the ones I ordered. Interestingly the smoother inner surface has a higher listed weight (although tiny, 5g). Makes me wonder if the Nextie Crocodile clone has material removed between spoke holes to get the raised inner surface vs the smooth one I went with. Who knows.

It's amazing how easy it is to agonize over the decision of which rim to go with from all the different companies. I was calculating and modeling air volume differences, spoke angles, etc. I finally realized I probably wouldn't ever be able to tell much difference, and the price variance was about what I'd blow on a friendly round of beers before going to see a game, so I went with the ones that would be closest to the stock wheels I have now.

I'll definitely be checking them over carefully after seeing your experience. I'm hoping the rims are of good quality because the hubs I got to build them up with seem pretty amazing (onyx). Here is a shameless video I just uploaded showing the hubs I got. https://youtu.be/jnfhL5AE3yo

mtbr member
    Are there any 27.5+ rims that stand out these days?

Some priorities include offset spoke drilling, angled drilling, high-30 to 45mm internal width.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I went with these: https://www.carbonfan.com/carbon-mou...epth-25mm-29er

They have all the same numbers as another one they offer (which look to be exactly the same as the Nextie Crocodile) but I liked the smoother inner surface better on the ones I ordered. Interestingly the smoother inner surface has a higher listed weight (although tiny, 5g). Makes me wonder if the Nextie Crocodile clone has material removed between spoke holes to get the raised inner surface vs the smooth one I went with. Who knows.

It's amazing how easy it is to agonize over the decision of which rim to go with from all the different companies. I was calculating and modeling air volume differences, spoke angles, etc. I finally realized I probably wouldn't ever be able to tell much difference, and the price variance was about what I'd blow on a friendly round of beers before going to see a game, so I went with the ones that would be closest to the stock wheels I have now.

I'll definitely be checking them over carefully after seeing your experience. I'm hoping the rims are of good quality because the hubs I got to build them up with seem pretty amazing (onyx). Here is a shameless video I just uploaded showing the hubs I got. https://youtu.be/jnfhL5AE3yo
    Ohhhhh onyx =)

I have One set of Nobl wheels with Nobl (Onyx) hubs, one set of Onyx hubs laced to WTB Asym i35's, and one set of True Precision Stealth hubs laced to DT EX471. We also have some i9's, XTR, DT 350 and 240s, and one set Novatec factors in our house right now. Just an FYI, I am a small time wheel builder, so I have wheels cycling through all the time. My primary reason for being here - I am looking for some quality carbon at good prices, so I can pass that along to the clubs/folks I build for.

Onxy, have to be my favorite. They aren't light, but it hardly matters as the weight is at the hub centre and does not really affect the over all feel of the wheel. The clutch is great. TP Stealth hubs have a slightly crisper clutch, but man it's so much more work to maintain. I had my set of TP on trail for 4 days of wet riding and didn't do the proper maintenance right after. Tried to use them after sitting for 2 weeks and the thing was totally ceized, and several bearings needed to be replaced. In contrast, I have ridden Onyx/Nobl for several seasons with zero attention...i.e. complete neglect, and they still roll smooth as butter. Hard to go back to non-clutch hubs after. I have a set of 240's currently being laced to my new bikes and I am not sure they will cut it long-term, but the bike is a pig and I am trying to shave some pounds.

You are going to love those things!
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hard to go back to non-clutch hubs after
    I think you mean "non-sprag". The sprag-clutch is just one type of clutch, and rachets or ring-drives are others. Without a clutch, we wouldn't be going anywhere, unless we were using fixed-gear hubs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Formerly of Kent
    I have a set of 240's currently being laced to my new bikes and I am not sure they will cut it long-term, but the bike is a pig and I am trying to shave some pounds.
    I don't think the 240s are going to give up anything to any other hub in terms of durability. I have a set with 30,000 miles on them.

Whether 54t engagement "works" for you is subjective, but I doubt any other hub will outlive them.
    Death from Below.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I think you mean "non-sprag". The sprag-clutch is just one type of clutch, and rachets or ring-drives are others. Without a clutch, we wouldn't be going anywhere, unless we were using fixed-gear hubs.
    Touche! I suppose you are right, yes. Roller and/or sprag clutch, vs pawl and tooth, or ratched design. You know what I mean =)
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    And I think you are probably right.
    240s with 54T will perform. Absolutely, you are right.

The silence and virtualy instant engagement of the Onyx/TP hubs is a very sweet thing. But so is the simplicity and durability of the DT Swiss design. I can't really fault either.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Ohhhhh onyx =)

I have One set of Nobl wheels with Nobl (Onyx) hubs, one set of Onyx hubs laced to WTB Asym i35's, and one set of True Precision Stealth hubs laced to DT EX471. We also have some i9's, XTR, DT 350 and 240s, and one set Novatec factors in our house right now. Just an FYI, I am a small time wheel builder, so I have wheels cycling through all the time. My primary reason for being here - I am looking for some quality carbon at good prices, so I can pass that along to the clubs/folks I build for.

Onxy, have to be my favorite. They aren't light, but it hardly matters as the weight is at the hub centre and does not really affect the over all feel of the wheel. The clutch is great. TP Stealth hubs have a slightly crisper clutch, but man it's so much more work to maintain. I had my set of TP on trail for 4 days of wet riding and didn't do the proper maintenance right after. Tried to use them after sitting for 2 weeks and the thing was totally ceized, and several bearings needed to be replaced. In contrast, I have ridden Onyx/Nobl for several seasons with zero attention...i.e. complete neglect, and they still roll smooth as butter. Hard to go back to non-clutch hubs after. I have a set of 240's currently being laced to my new bikes and I am not sure they will cut it long-term, but the bike is a pig and I am trying to shave some pounds.

You are going to love those things!
    If Onyx are your favorite after all those other options, that makes me feel pretty good about my decision!

Since you build wheels more wheels than I do, what tension do you take the spokes up to when you build? Do you go straight to the max stated by the manufacturer, or to you lay off it a little? Onyx says max 120kgf, Carbonfan says 130kgf on their rims. So would you take it to 120?

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would take to 120 kgf, yes sir!
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Trying to manage getting replacements for the set that arrived with the whack resin job and delamination. It's next to impossible to get a guarantee the next see will be made properly. It's literally taking days to explain and get some guarantee on the most trivial stuff, like proper spoke hole drilling. And then they come back with things, they are giving me different rim measurements and so on, which causes issues because I already have Salim d-lights purchases and in hand to lace wheels on the original dimensions.

In stark contrast, I have been talking with BTLOS, after purchasing two sets of their rims now, one for my own analysis/comparison and one for a friend to lace up, and Lily has been a true gem. Very responsive, and not just in the narrow 3-4 hour band of time I should be in deep sleep. Her English is superb, and she is knowledgable, and smack dab in the middle of a factory so she can get detailed answers quick. When they get a few more rim profiles open, I think they will be one of the top options. Until then, they still have a few goodies, and amazing service. My BTLOS ship tonight while I sleep - looking forward to handling them.
    Damn you are scaring me out, I hope I don't get to have the same situation as you did; I wonder if they were experimenting, what they were experimenting with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    But don't you also contact nextie via facebook, that's what I do at least.

I worry mostly about the quality of the rim and wheelbuild.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have friends that have gone over there and talked to Peter face-to-face, it's on the up and up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Are there any 27.5+ rims that stand out these days?

Some priorities include offset spoke drilling, angled drilling, high-30 to 45mm internal width.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nothing?
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    1.5 million views, **** responding to my question regarding a new rider, I'll figure it out on my own later. Think I found a new stock to invest in.

mtbr member
    Nothing?
    I've been running the 29" version of these for 2 years now with great results.

RM750C 27.5+ mtb carbon rim clincher/tubeless ready 50mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

mtbr member
    Nothing?
    I picked up a set of 39mm IW from XMapex out of China. They gave me options on spoke holes, spoke angle, layup, and finish. So far, I've bought 4 pairs of rims with no issues.

Built up on Hope Pro 4 and DT Competition spokes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20170528_175839004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what tension do you take the spokes up to when you build? Do you go straight to the max stated by the manufacturer, or to you lay off it a little? Onyx says max 120kgf, Carbonfan says 130kgf on their rims. So would you take it to 120?
    Tension the wheel in stages with a stress relief between each stage. 120kgf may be one side and 90kgf the other for the offset.
    Wheels Building -read this.

I ride bikes
    Got my Carbonfan Wheelset. Check out my first impressions review if you are interested.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...s-1066534.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the advice and the link. Iíve never come across it before. I donít build wheels often, but my nature is perfection when building and this seems like an excellent reference for a refresher if itís been a while.

Still waiting on my rims to come. Once they do I can measure ERD and buy some spokes. The waiting game is tough!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the advice and the link. Iíve never come across it before. I donít build wheels often, but my nature is perfection when building and this seems like an excellent reference for a refresher if itís been a while.

Still waiting on my rims to come. Once they do I can measure ERD and buy some spokes. The waiting game is tough!
    You're going to be suprised at how easy it is to build with carbon rims. It's the stiffness. They almost build themselves. I use Sapim Laser spokes with the included Sapim Polyax brass nipples from Dans Comp at 0.95 each in black with chrome nipples. Brass will not corrode. Lasers add a very small amount of compliance. Great for a ht.
    https://www.danscomp.com/products/43...ack_Spoke.html

mtbr member
    You're going to be suprised at how easy it is to build with carbon rims. It's the stiffness. They almost build themselves. I use Sapim Laser spokes with the included Sapim Polyax brass nipples from Dans Comp at 0.95 each in black with chrome nipples. Brass will not corrode. Lasers add a very small amount of compliance. Great for a ht.
    https://www.danscomp.com/products/43...ack_Spoke.html
    Little off topic but I just ordered some Ti spokes from Danscomp.com. Had to phone in the order but they were great to deal with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kieljon View Post
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_1588.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_5200.jpg

New Nexties. Increasing my carbon footprint
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post

Name:	IMG_1588.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	1177920Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5200.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	268.7 KB 
ID:	1177921

New Nexties. Increasing my carbon footprint
    She's a beaut... Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Very interesting thread. I'm trying to pick out a set of rims for a build I'll be doing on a set of DT240 hubs. I'm looking for something with an internal width 25-27mm, and a weight goal of under 400g. I've found a Nextie and a Carbonfan that fit that bill. The nextie is $220 ea. and the Carbonfan $175. Both seem like reputable companies and the rims seem like either would work. My question; The Carbonfan goes into detail in their description explaining that these rims are a classic aluminum rim style geometry and are best for a first time carbon rim user, and says that this particular rim is very different from their other rim line. What in the world does that mean? I was thinking that spoke geometry would be the same if using the same pattern, and even still, how could that make a difference. Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellion View Post
    Very interesting thread. I'm trying to pick out a set of rims for a build I'll be doing on a set of DT240 hubs. I'm looking for something with an internal width 25-27mm, and a weight goal of under 400g. I've found a Nextie and a Carbonfan that fit that bill. The nextie is $220 ea. and the Carbonfan $175. Both seem like reputable companies and the rims seem like either would work. My question; The Carbonfan goes into detail in their description explaining that these rims are a classic aluminum rim style geometry and are best for a first time carbon rim user, and says that this particular rim is very different from their other rim line. What in the world does that mean? I was thinking that spoke geometry would be the same if using the same pattern, and even still, how could that make a difference. Thanks for any input

Either of these would work. Well, one is 28mm wide internal. As for XMCarbonspeed being reputable, check out chinertown.com.

25mm inner, T700 360g, T800 310g
    T700/800 Asymetric mtb carbon rim

28mm inner, T700 430g, T800 350g
    29er 34mm wide mtb 29 carbon rim clincher

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd suggest asymetrical rims like these with 29mm inner width at 400g
    https://www.carbonfan.com/asymmetric...idth-35mm-29er
    They build easier because the spoke tensions with the offsets are closer to the same. And they're stronger.
    They are plus or minus 15g so if you put a message in the note box asking for rims at the low end of the weight range you could get under 400g to as low as 385g.

mtbr member
    Hi eb, do you have any concerns that a wider rim at that weight won't be stiff enough? Many rims that wide are ~450g

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Hi eb, do you have any concerns that a wider rim at that weight won't be stiff enough? Many rims that wide are ~450g

Thanks!
    The rim has 3mm beads so it'll be reasonable sturdy as an AM rim. If your use is mainly XC it should, based on my use, hold up fine. If you want to run higher speeds with bigger jumps and/or are heavier you can ask for a heavier built rim. Some of this is down to the tires you can run on your terrain. You can also add rim protection with Cush Core.
    CushCore

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'd suggest asymetrical rims like these with 29mm inner width at 400g
    https://www.carbonfan.com/asymmetric...idth-35mm-29er
    They build easier because the spoke tensions with the offsets are closer to the same. And they're stronger.
    Not as simple as that, the lightest T800 rims have been built symmetrical, because they found that the best impact resistance is with symmetrical, which is a tradeoff for a slight decrease in overall strength comparatively.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Still going back and fourth on my replacement rims with Nextie for the ones with the horrible resin job/sidewall delamination. Oh, and the messed up spoke drilling, lets not forget that.

This has been the most painful experience. I was in touch with them at the beginning of the month (originals were ordered early in December) and the replacements are still not finalized.

Weeks ago I was promised pictures to ensure spoke drilling was up to spec (mainly so I can build with a squorx or double square style nip). Rims were supposed to be finished Monday past, long after the 10 day production date originally specified, and I get a picture of the rim laid flat yesterday, after requesting the pictures I was promised. No detail shot of the drilling or anything. They totally forgot!

This set is being laced for someone else to boot, so thus far it has been a complete embarrassment for me. Originally I had thought I could use Nextie as a supplier but I now have serious doubts. The only reason I want to conclude the deal with Nextie is that I have hubs and spokes already on hand and purchases for the dimensions of this rim.

Since I have done my original Nextie order, I have ordered several sets from BTLOS - without a hitch. Communication is primo, service is primo, rims are primo. I have found my supplier here for sure.

I will update on the Nexties again when I have them in hand. Hopefully they get made properly!!!
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Still going back and fourth on my replacement rims with Nextie for the ones with the horrible resin job/sidewall delamination. Oh, and the messed up spoke drilling, lets not forget that.

This has been the most painful experience. I was in touch with them at the beginning of the month (originals were ordered early in December) and the replacements are still not finalized.

Weeks ago I was promised pictures to ensure spoke drilling was up to spec (mainly so I can build with a squorx or double square style nip). Rims were supposed to be finished Monday past, long after the 10 day production date originally specified, and I get a picture of the rim laid flat yesterday, after requesting the pictures I was promised. No detail shot of the drilling or anything. They totally forgot!

This set is being laced for someone else to boot, so thus far it has been a complete embarrassment for me. Originally I had thought I could use Nextie as a supplier but I now have serious doubts. The only reason I want to conclude the deal with Nextie is that I have hubs and spokes already on hand and purchases for the dimensions of this rim.

Since I have done my original Nextie order, I have ordered several sets from BTLOS - without a hitch. Communication is primo, service is primo, rims are primo. I have found my supplier here for sure.

I will update on the Nexties again when I have them in hand. Hopefully they get made properly!!!
    Thanks for the update. BTLOS seems to be holding true so far which is great. Hopefully they will be better than Nexite has been for you if an issue ever comes up. That's not sarcasm towards them, it's just where a lot of the lower cost generic carbon suppliers fall short. It would be great to see a few great suppliers to deal with. Especially since LB and Nexite are starting to raise their prices.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I just received 4 rims from Carbonfan. 29er, 35mm width (29mm ID), asymmetric, AM model (400g). 20 days from order to delivery to Colorado. All the rims look great, no visible imperfections. Weights all around 390g. These will be built using Project 321 boost rear hubs (with new in house pawls and drive rings), Bitex boost 211F front hubs, Sapim Laser spokes and alloy nipples. 28H/28H for the wife and 32H/28H for me. Both sets going on Intense Primers. Pictures to follow, after build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I received a pair of rims from xmcarbonspeed. I ordered the assymetric T800 30mm rims. I haven't had a real good look at them, but I haven't spotted any defects yet. They weighed in at 303/307 which is under the claimed 310g. Geez, have I gone too weight weenie? I haven't put the calipers to them, but a rough measurement with a ruler indicates that they are under the spec 30mm outside width (around 29.5mm) and around the specced 25mm internal width. It seems that they have lost the width in the lip thickness, which looks to be not much more than 2mm. Good thing I intend to run these exclusively on my xc race bike, and with the kind of tyres/pressure/terrain I encounter means that i very rarely feel the rim bottom, as these rims don't look like they could take much punishment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    This is my first carbon set so I am not sure what to think about the entire situation; I just hope everything turns out fine for you, I haven't had any communication problems with Nextie even when I use facebook and not email and I guess that being way closer to china I usually get in their working hours, but it gets me nervous, I saved 100$ each month for 10 months to get this wheelset, the most expensive part of the bike, virtually the best nextie offers on XC and while I am a plush rider I don't want them to fail or be damaged.

I suppose that depending to how your situation turns out will give me an idea too, my wheels are also on the way, and I am very nervous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'll throw my experience with Nextie into the ring, if anyone was on the fence about buying rims from them

I purchased a set of 30mm (23.5mm internal) 29er rims during the holidays of 2016. 30 days from ordering they arrived at my doorstep. (FedEx shipping). I had my shop build them up with a set of Stans Neo hubs. Came in at 1,793g. Thousands of miles later, they're still running smoothly and true. Can't say the same about my neo hubs...

Next set I ordered was in December of 2017, they arrived at my doorstep 21 days after. I purchased the all new Ultralight 30mm Asym rim. (310g per rim!!). The goal was to build up a lightweight race wheelset for my new cross country bike. Finish was top notch, they made a beautiful set of rims. I laced them up last night, and should be finishing up the build tonight. 1,436g for the wheelset.

I highly recommend Nextie as a company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nzambec2 View Post

Next set I ordered was in December of 2017, they arrived at my doorstep 21 days after. I purchased the all new Ultralight 30mm Asym rim. (310g per rim!!). The goal was to build up a lightweight race wheelset for my new cross country bike. Finish was top notch, they made a beautiful set of rims. I laced them up last night, and should be finishing up the build tonight. 1,436g for the wheelset.

It sounds like you got the same rims as me, but I got them from xmcarbonspeed.

I have always wondered if these rims came out of the same factory.

Have you put the rim the tape on yet? If not, could you post a photo of the white sticker on the rim bed, if it has one. I'll do the same when I get home. Mine has an arrow to drive side etc. I'm intrigued to see if you got the same sticker, which would indicate the suppliers are selling the same product as each other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    It sounds like you got the same rims as me, but I got them from xmcarbonspeed.

I have always wondered if these rims came out of the same factory.

Have you put the rim the tape on yet? If not, could you post a photo of the white sticker on the rim bed, if it has one. I'll do the same when I get home. Mine has an arrow to drive side etc. I'm intrigued to see if you got the same sticker, which would indicate the suppliers are selling the same product as each other.
    I just built and taped up my front wheel, and didn't have enough time to do the rear. I'll post a photo later tonight.

For my first ever wheel build (I had guidance from a great wheel builder, but he made me do all the work...) It turned out great. Good tension and true all the way around. I was worried that I estimated the ERD/spoke length, but i was spot on. For reference, Nextie estimated 595.5mm ERD, and I measured 599mm ERD. Measure before you buy spokes!! Hope pro 4 boost hubs, DT Swiss Comp Race spokes, and aluminum nipples, 28h. 670g!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just built and taped up my front wheel, and didn't have enough time to do the rear. I'll post a photo later tonight.

For my first ever wheel build (I had guidance from a great wheel builder, but he made me do all the work...) It turned out great. Good tension and true all the way around. I was worried that I estimated the ERD/spoke length, but i was spot on. For reference, Nextie estimated 595.5mm ERD, and I measured 599mm ERD. Measure before you buy spokes!! Hope pro 4 boost hubs, DT Swiss Comp Race spokes, and aluminum nipples, 28h. 670g!!
    I had another look at the stickers on my rims. They are more generic than I thought, just stating the spoke count and the arrow to drive side. However next to the sticker is a code and number (in the rim under a layer of clear resin).. The number is unique in each rim, so I assume it is the serial number. The code is the same on each rim, so might be the manufacturer's model number. It is KSM29H22C30. Does your rim have that code on it?

I was advised it has an erd of 594. I plan to reuse some spokes off my current wheelset (with erd of 593), and same hubs too. hopefully they aren't too short or I'll have buy some new spokes. My old wheelset, with 360g rims, Chinese spokes (cx-ray copies), 240s hubs and brass nipples, came in just under 1400g. With the new rims, but otherwise the same wheelset, it should go under 1300g.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    I had another look at the stickers on my rims. They are more generic than I thought, just stating the spoke count and the arrow to drive side. However next to the sticker is a code and number (in the rim under a layer of clear resin).. The number is unique in each rim, so I assume it is the serial number. The code is the same on each rim, so might be the manufacturer's model number. It is KSM29H22C30. Does your rim have that code on it?
    MY rim also has one label with a bar code, and the part number: NXT29UL30-136
    I'm guessing that the "136" is how many rims they have made for tha part number.
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0863.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I received my NXT29UL30 rims, and they look flawless. Claimed weight was 310g, and mine came in at 308 and 312. Measured the ERD at 598mm with Sapim polyax nipples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    MY rim also has one label with a bar code, and the part number: NXT29UL30-136
    I'm guessing that the "136" is how many rims they have made for tha part number.

Name:	IMG_0863.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	1179903
    We'll there goes that theory. Thanks for the photo. Mine has no sticker like that. Might be from a different manufacturer.

Interesting that a you and another are getting erd measurements that high. I checked the online specs on both rims, and they both state a rim height of 22mm. We'll see when i attempt to build one up with my old spokes.

mtbr member
    As far as the ERD goes, I've found that most generic carbon rims are measured from the nipple seat, not from the top of the head of the nipple. So you may have to add 4mm or 5mm to the published ERD.

For the past couple of orders, I just ask Peter (XMCarbonSpeed.cn) to get the measurements on the actual rims that he is shipping out to me. That way I can plug it in the spoke calculator and get the spokes at the same time as the rims. He has CX-Ray spokes for well under $2.50 per spoke so it just makes sense to have them shipped at the same time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'll throw my experience with Nextie into the ring, if anyone was on the fence about buying rims from them

I purchased a set of 30mm (23.5mm internal) 29er rims during the holidays of 2016. 30 days from ordering they arrived at my doorstep. (FedEx shipping). I had my shop build them up with a set of Stans Neo hubs. Came in at 1,793g. Thousands of miles later, they're still running smoothly and true. Can't say the same about my neo hubs...

Nice, I've been waiting 34 days now, I wonder how it's going; I just checked and they have arrived in the UK, still a long way to Central Finland, but it's progressing; they might arrive next week I will post updates, finally my carbon build will be complete c:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While price point and weight are important, ride quality does not seem to be discussed much on this thread. After the initial hype phase of carbon MTB wheels died down, people started asking, "are these things too stiff?" Last year, there were a number of article and interviews on various site discussing wheel stiffness, de-tensioning for compliance and carbons rims designed to have more compliance.

I'm looking for a set of light weight wheels to upgrade the cheap alloy ones that came on my new Epic Carbon Comp. Although I can't afford them at this time, in the past I've been really happy with both the Roval Traverse and Controls in both SL Carbon and alloy rims. The Rovals have only 24F and 28 rear spokes with unusually lacing. I believe this makes a slightly more compliant wheel which is great for a short travel XC race bike with a lightweight rider. Do you agree or am I imagining this?

in 2012, i picked up two sets of the original Light Bike 30mm inner diameter (~420g) rims and both sets are still going strong but are super stiff. On my 160mm bike I love the stiffness and use the suspension travel and low tire pressure to dial in the ride. The other set is on my Chinese hardtail (sometimes rigid) bike. Again, the 30mm inner diameter allows for low tire pressures and a somewhat compliant ride.

On the 22mm inner diameter Rovals, I find that the useable range of tire pressures is much higher and thus I am more reliant on some compliance in wheels. Does this match y'all's experience?

Anyway, thinking of building wheels around these: NXT29UL30 which are 25mm inner diameter. Should I be looking at a lower spoke count to create more tunability in the compliance of the wheel?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    While price point and weight are important, ride quality does not seem to be discussed much on this thread. After the initial hype phase of carbon MTB wheels died down, people started asking, "are these things too stiff?" Last year, there were a number of article and interviews on various site discussing wheel stiffness, de-tensioning for compliance and carbons rims designed to have more compliance.
    Yeah, I think some of the "vertical compliance" thing is BS. I want the carbon wheels to be stiff. I've noticed one if the biggest benefits is I can push them hard in turns against banks and features and they stay on line. That never happened with my aluminum wheels, they'd flex all over the place in the same situation and you simply wouldn't feel like you were on "rails" and able to carry as much speed through the turn. This has to be somewhat related to the wheel maintaining it's "wheel" shape during these high-g loading situations, given gyroscopic force and everything else.

Apart from that, I want them to be light and to transfer energy well, such as acceleration (for racing). They do this.

The one "review" that was done on the wheels board between a bunch of carbon rims was completely subjective without any scientific controls/measurements. While I appreciate the effort, it wasn't really helpful and didn't really mean anything.

Tires, suspension, arms and legs, that's what I use to maintain vertical compliance.

I think part of the perception problem here is that Nextie, LB, Carbonfan, Carbonspeed are "cheap" rims. They are not, they are all more expensive than aluminum rims. They aren't as expensive as $3000 wheelsets by the likes of Envy, but these rims are coming from places that specialize in carbon fiber manufacturing and have been doing so for years for many of the big bicycle frames. I have 4 sets between Nextie and LB (and a carbonspeed frame) and they are excellent. Would I plunk down money on some no-name cheap carbon fiber rims if they were way cheaper? No. I'd spend my money with a company that has some kind of reputation to uphold.

I wish my rim flopped around more said no one ever. When we had aluminum rims, we just had to deal with it. True, it might be a little more harsh overall on a rigid hardtail with thin grips, but it'll also absorb certain frequencies of vibrations too (why they like it in road).

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Agree. On a road bike, rigid and even a hard tail a more supple wheel can be nice if that is whatís desired. I donít understand how a wheel can be too stiff on a FS bike unless youíre very light. If my Switchblade/Fox 36/carbon wheels could be even stiffer, that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I recieved my EIE wheels. Internal size 34mm, Hope4 hubs and DT swiss spokes. 768 USD incl shipping. They looked very good as far as I can see. Got them exactly four weeks from payment. I have no experience with carbon rims, but I can see seams on the bead. I have no idea if this is normal, no seams are visible on the side walls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20180130_215822.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-psx_20180130_231454.jpg  

mtbr member
    its interesting the whole stiff wheel thing. at my velocity, i tend to like a stiffer wheel and let the tyre and suspension move. i find it feels more accurate. i'm old and slow. in saying that there are still some pro DHers who seem to prefer soft spoking to allow rims and tyres to conform more....of course thats right at the other end of the scale where wheels may be re built every run or so, but still, its interesting.... theres more on this thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...n-1048664.html

in my experience, older style enve rims are stiffest (in building and riding) derby next, then nextie that are in comparison, relatively compliant ime. i have a few sets of each on the go. in saying that, they are at the limit of what i feel i can detect. interestingly, the latest enves seem to have been designed for more compliance, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by H-akka View Post
    I recieved my EIE wheels. Internal size 34mm, Hope4 hubs and DT swiss spokes. 768 USD incl shipping. They looked very good as far as I can see. Got them exactly four weeks from payment. I have no experience with carbon rims, but I can see seams on the bead. I have no idea if this is normal, no seams are visible on the side walls.
    My understanding is that this kind of "seam" pictured is because of mold where carbon is lay'd down and put into compression and oven for curing.

All my CarbonBicycle rims have similar seam, absolutely no issues whatsoever.
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mhelander View Post
    My understanding is that this kind of "seam" pictured is because of mold where carbon is lay'd down and put into compression and oven for curing.

All my CarbonBicycle rims have similar seam, absolutely no issues whatsoever.
    Thanks! They seem very well built and they came extremely well packed. Will give more info once I have weighed, fitted and ridden them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0869.jpg

Ultralight 30mm Nexties laced with DT Swiss competition race spokes and Hope Pro 4 hubs. ended up at 1,436g for the wheelset, and $850 USD built.

mtbr member
    AS738C rims from XMCarbonSpeed.com, 38mm outer, 32mm inner, 28h, 820 grams for the pair, measured ERD 552mm to top of nipple head
    DT Swiss 350 Centerlock Boost hubs, 28h, rear is running the 54t ratchet
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes also from XMCarbonSpeed
    Sapim double hex self locking alloy nipples
    Decals from Slik Graphics

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_4423.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_4421.jpg(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_4420.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nzembic2, you built those? Very nice btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Nzembic2, you built those? Very nice btw.
    Yes I did. My friend helped out with guidance and a truing stand. Lacing was easy, most difficult part of building was getting the radial (up/down) hop out of the wheels. I haven't ridden them outside yet, snowy and blistering cold here in Michigan.

V-Shaped Rut

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1180739

Ultralight 30mm Nexties laced with DT Swiss competition race spokes and Hope Pro 4 hubs. ended up at 1,436g for the wheelset, and $850 USD built.
    MY back just went out looking at that pic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Very happy with the builds on my Carbonfan 35mm (Outer width) 29er boost wheels using Bitex front hubs and Project 321 rear hubs. Here are a few pics of the wife's set (28/28). 1488g for the set without tape or valves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-002.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-004.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    MY back just went out looking at that pic.
    I'm 6'3", inseam of about 35", and the frame is XL. I'm not in an overly aggressive position, but the bike setup makes it look that way!

I ride bikes
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20180203_130441.jpg
    Got to do a solid test ride on these guys. (35mm asym carbonfan, dt 350, pillar spokes)

Things I noticed:
    1.much louder hub with the 54t. (though I cant hear it over my buddies i9)
    2.The engagement of the rear hub was fantastic trying to ratchet over some obstacles.
    3. The front lifts up and just feels lighter.
    4. not overly stiff.
    5. look great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New question here.

Hi All,

Just received a wheelset from Nextie. I had a question regarding spokes. Several of them have a slight bend when approaching the nipple. Is this ok? They are DT swiss comp spokes.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_3631%5B1%5D.jpg

Also the rim bed towards the bead have some imperfections on it. Should I worry about this?

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_3625%5B1%5D.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_3622%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I finally made up my mind and ordered a set of Nextie 34mm outer, 28mm inner rims, with a claimed weight of 350g. I'll inspect them closely and report back here when they arrive.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quick review of IUBike:
    I took a chance and ordered from there, as it's cheap and the specs looked like what I wanted. The contact with the vendor was great, they're nice and responsive overall, and answered all my questions too.

I paid 610USD shipped for DT 350 hubs, asymmetric wheels (28/28 pillar 1420 spokes) (this: https://www.iubike.com/iubike-dt-swi...arbon-wheelset and this is the rim: https://www.iubike.com/media/catalog...on-mtb-rim.png). Note that I believe the price/spec have changed a tad since I got it.

Anyway, the rim is: 22mm inner, 27mm outer, 280gr per, 2.6mm offset.

I got the wheels for a while now so I though it's time for this post!

- We changed a couple of things after I ordered (no decals, different spoke holes - because they couldn't do internally drilled holes at this time). I didn't mind, though you might.

- The wheels took a reasonable time to be built/sent (about 10 days to build and 7 to ship)

- Wheels build was alright, the tension was fairly even and the size/ERD was correct

- Total measured weight was 600gr (front wheel) and 750gr (rear wheel) ie 1350gr which is fairly good (and lower than currently announced on the page even)

- The lamination of the external carbon layer inside the rim bed isn't perfect, though in practice this caused no problems. I don't know enough about the build process to know if its just cosmetics or not.

Riding the wheels, they were as i expected. Right amount of stiffness where needed (being 160ish lbs helps though since its generally averageish for most.. I'm pretty sure they'd adjust tension on demand though). There has been zero issue so far with them, tubeless mounted just fine, no cracks, etc.

See attached pics as well. All in all, great wheels for the price, and the service was also great, would recommend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-wheel1.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-wheel2.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20171219_192610.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20171219_192555.jpg  

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-20171219_163914.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilenemo View Post
    Hi All,

Just received a wheelset from Nextie. I had a question regarding spokes. Several of them have a slight bend when approaching the nipple. Is this ok? They are DT swiss comp spokes.

Name:	IMG_3631[1].jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	1181734
    That looks like the nipple is sitting in the hole too perpendicular to the rim and not able to angle towards the spoke hole on the hub correctly. Like in this image: https://www.sapim.be/sites/default/files/polyax.png

Maybe it just didnt seat in the rim hole correctly or the nipple is messed up. Just keep an eye on the tension for that one maybe after riding it'll fix itself but if it moves, that could change its tension

mtbr member
    boubla- Nice price and weight! Congrats! And thanks for the lead.

mtbr member
    So happy to find this thread! Iíve been a Nextie rim user for 18 months and now have 3 wheel sets. 42mm inner Crocodiles on a plus bike/Pony Rustler, 29mm inner Premiums for my Intense Primer, and both of these wheel sets, with Cx-ray spokes, have taken solid enduro beatings and had rare rim bottom outs with no damage. I loveíem. More recently I have added Huck Norris rim protectors in my rear wheels for added insurance while running low PSIís. 20 PSI on 2.6Ē tires and 12PSI in my 3Ē tires. Iím 165 pounds all up rider weight and I ride pretty, ďlight,Ē smooth/clean in rough rocky Colorado conditions.
    I just got Nextieís new ULís with 28mm inners and they look awesome/flawless but, at 350gm per rim I feel like Iím on egg shells! I have installed the new Huck Norris DH rim protector in back. After one long ride at Buff Creek, moderate trails, small drops and big hops, all is good but, how hard can I push these? Anyone been pounding on these for awhile? XC only? Iím afraid to take these on deep back county rides. Any failure stories out there?

mtbr member
    I have the 29/35mm 27.5 Nextie rims on Hope hubs, usually running 25 to 27 psi. These were the 400g DH layup though. I don't baby them at all. I beat the snot out of them on purpose. I smash into rocks, land flat from 4 foot drops, etc. I've been trying to test their limits because I got the rim set for a little over $200, which was the same as my Stans set. I run these on a Yeti SB5c on all kinds of trails (Downieville, Mr. Toads in Tahoe, McKenzie River in Oregon, San Luis Obispo, etc.), I ride rocks. I love technical rocks. I'm not a XC guy. I'm a downhill guy. These rims are amazing. They are all scratched and chipped up, but have been stellar. I will buy from them again. (oh, and I do 40 mile backcountry rides a lot).
    It was love at first sight.... she had alloy nipples after all!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I finally made up my mind and ordered a set of Nextie 34mm outer, 28mm inner rims, with a claimed weight of 350g. I'll inspect them closely and report back here when they arrive.
    Is this rim in T800 from XMcarbonspeed same as the one you ordered from Nextie ?
    How much did you spend on them ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in sac View Post
    That looks like the nipple is sitting in the hole too perpendicular to the rim and not able to angle towards the spoke hole on the hub correctly. Like in this image: https://www.sapim.be/sites/default/files/polyax.png

Maybe it just didnt seat in the rim hole correctly or the nipple is messed up. Just keep an eye on the tension for that one maybe after riding it'll fix itself but if it moves, that could change its tension
    I've built two sets of Nexties. The first was with standard DT brass nipples and standard flange hubs and the other with DT Sqourx nipples and straight pull hubs. The brass nipples don't angle themselves in the hole as well as the Sqourx do. It seems the brass are a little fatter than the Sqourx and aren't able to rotate coming through the hole. Something else I noticed is that the second set I laced onto straight pull hubs and the straight pull hubs basically line the spokes up for you so there is no angle on the nipple coming out of the rim. One of the only gripes I might have about the Nextie hoops is that there is no right to left offset of the spoke holes and also the holes are not drilled with any angle to them.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by allenc View Post
    Is this rim in T800 from XMcarbonspeed same as the one you ordered from Nextie ?
    How much did you spend on them ?
    Canít be the same rim, the Nextie rims are described as a 70/30 mix T700/T1000
    Itís all here, Ultralight Mountain Carbon Fiber MTB Rims Clincher Cross Country Trail
    Honestly, the stiffness of the T1000 worries me, more stiff=less flex, just break!? Iím likely over thinking this all but Iíd hate to kill a new wheel. I think Iíd kill the rear, I can keep the front up for most big hits, then weíll know, one way or the other, what the ultra-lights can take. I decided to buy them when I saw the weight limit of 120kg/265lbs, and a 3 year warranty. I was 162lbs this morning.

Sounds like youíd LOVE the desert action Live to mtb... mega rock, I was particularly impressed with St. George. Crazy steep technical boulder climbs, rock bridges, ie Zen trail, ... super fun but left me needing a bash guard for my Intense Primer, 130mm front and rear. What do you ride? I ran my Nextie Primiums for that stuff, slamming hard, no issues but, one lone very loose spoke. Rim was still true, I think the nipple just loosened.

Formerly of Kent
    I've run my 28mm ID Chinese carbon front wheel in Moab and St. George several times. No problems; no chips, a few scratches, still perfectly true.

Great for XC trails like Zen, the Mag 7 area, Hymasa/Ahab, etc.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Le Duke, what weight? Manufacturer? Front wheel only?
    Maybe I just need to joint the Girl Scouts but, the Zen trail felt a bit more on the technical side of the spectrum vs XC to me, bottoming out on the chain ring and all...

Ncambec2 Have you got out on your UL Nexties yet?
    PS that is one awesome looking bike you got there!

Members who have read this thread: 731