(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims? - Page 47- Mtbr.com
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647
Results 9,201 to 9,249 of 9249
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by backintheday View Post
    I do buy that their explanation is feasible. I don't think you need a pressure diff as you are hypothesizing. I was pressurizing the cavity, which wasn't designed to be pressurized, pop!
    If there isn't a pressure differential, then there is no force to cause your "pop." The pressure on the tire side of rim bed would oppose the pressure on the cavity side.

I think we'd all like to see photos of the rim damage w/o tire so we can see the actual nature of the rim failure/damage.

You also never answered the question about the damage locations. The photos appear to show two distinctively different spots: one sidewall crack, and another w/ fibers from rim bed. Very hard to understand how two different rim locations would fail simulataneously in different ways,

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by backintheday View Post
    Easy there buddy.

Yes I bought a discount pair of wheels and I expected a discount product with discount customer service. I would not call the seller shady at all, quite the contrary. I'm not an expert, but I do think their explanation is reasonable and their resolution (shipping me two new rims) is very adequate. I am happy to take some responsibility if my naivety regarding rim strips, etc. is at least partly to blame and I think it's admirable they are making things right.

If I had paid 10x more for a pair of Enve's I might expect something different, both in regards to the rim being more robust and sending me new wheels instead of rims (though I doubt they'd let me keep the extra set of hubs).
    Sure it's shady. Rims like that should either come with tubeless tape or nothing at all. The exception should be that they will be used for tubeless. Anything else is ridiculous. I've bought around 12 rims from 2 of the big chinese CF rim manufaturers, as well as tested rims from a startup. None of these came with a rim strip.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by markcm View Post
    Amy from BTLOS helped me through the order, although it was hard to know when she would be available to communicate (unsure if she is located in US or China?), although once we connected her communication was friendly and helpful.

BTLOS's website and wheel builder process is good; it is very clear what you are choosing, the cost and the weight. I did get the sense that you can customize some outside of what the wheel builder offers, in this case you would contact Amy/BTLOS with your request. I had some questions about what spec's to choose so I sent Amy a link to a youtube video of a trail I ride frequently. She watched the video and provided selection feedback based on that and my size/weight.
    +1

Great customer service and communication from Amy at BTLOS. Replies typically took a day for me, but that's to be expected if they're in a completely different time zone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I was planning to order weareone with Hydra but after reading a few pages on this thread. I went with this... Hopefully, I made the right decision.

I weight about 143lbs so I went with 28 spokes. What do you guys think?

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cointossm2 View Post
    I was planning to order weareone with Hydra but after reading a few pages on this thread. I went with this... Hopefully, I made the right decision.

I weight about 143lbs so I went with 28 spokes. What do you guys think?
    My opinion probably carries less significance since my order is still pending with BTLOS but... My opinion is that your order looks good. the i30A is a 36mm outer width lower profile asymmetrical rim that should be pretty tough. From what I can tell about the 28 vs 32 spokes, its more a case of how hard you are on your wheels. If you break a spoke on a 32 you have a better chance of riding out vs walking out. I've never broken a spoke, I went with the 28 as well.

That is just my opinion not knowing how or where you ride or what your needs/expectations are.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    About to pull the trigger on the new i34as profile btlos rim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-screenshot_20200826_104246_com.android.chrome.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turner_nz View Post
    About to pull the trigger on the new i34as profile btlos rim
    Hahaha. Figures they come out with these now since I just ordered a set of i34a for my downhill bike about a month ago and last week since I broke a bontrager wheel I ordered a set of i34a for my Ebike. Would have liked to get the new shape for both sets. They havent shipped the ebike wheels yet. Wonder if they can swap out for the new hoops

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleAbuse View Post
    Hahaha. Figures they come out with these now since I just ordered a set of i34a for my downhill bike about a month ago and last week since I broke a bontrager wheel I ordered a set of i34a for my Ebike. Would have liked to get the new shape for both sets. They havent shipped the ebike wheels yet. Wonder if they can swap out for the new hoops
    If your order is with BTLOS, email Amy and ask. I made a mistake sizing my hoop when I ordered, emailed and she corrected it for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Customs?

Morning folks: this thread seems mostly quiet about any customs duties? If I order from BTLOS to the US, will I be charged customs fees? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnieker View Post
    Morning folks: this thread seems mostly quiet about any customs duties? If I order from BTLOS to the US, will I be charged customs fees? Thanks!
    I found that as long it is under 800 USD you won't have to pay Custom duties , I just purchased a frame I made sure to keep under 800 with ship and taxes , hopefully I won't have to pay custom duties , if I have to pay It is 25%

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnieker View Post
    I'd talk with Amy at BTLOS regarding customs duties. They will work with you as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    did you find anything out about this. I am looking to buy a set of wheels that would be over 800. that 25% makes a pretty big difference. I haven't heard of any other people mentioning duty tax before you had so it must not be that common.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    whats the deal with these new shallow profile style wheels? is there any real benefit beside the quick sales pitch they say about ligther and strong? Is there a downside to the shallow profile rims?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Any thoughts on the Carbon wheels from Light Carbon? Can get a set for $580 including shipping. XC wheels with DTSwiss 350 hubs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    whats the deal with these new shallow profile style wheels? is there any real benefit beside the quick sales pitch they say about ligther and strong? Is there a downside to the shallow profile rims?
    from what i've been told there stronger and can take a rim strike better i'm not sure how there lighter maybe a 450g rim in 18mm height is stronger than a 450g in 25mm height hence they can say lighter for the strength ratio ? anyway Ibis s35 carbon rims are round 18mm so must be a step in the right direction as they would have done there homework on the profile but someone with more knowledge could pitch in maybe ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    One thing I see for the Carbonfan new version is thicker beads, eg. 3.4mm instead of 3. 42 outer and 35 inner at 430+ or - 15g and$356/pr shipped. Doesn't order as T800 XC on this page. $424 T800 at another page. 390g.

Name:  carbonfan_42mm_width_18-5mm_depth_asymmetric_mtb_rim_tubeless_ready_5.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  28.1 KB

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There is a We Are One Youtube video where the owner of the company discusses this. Instead of a spoke bed structure and a bead lip structure being joined together by thin carbon sections in deep rims the shallow rims are made to be one structure and everything moves together when encountering an impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWjYwpT6MGs

Thicc Member
    Less lateral stiffness. It does make a weaker wheel but some people want that.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Less lateral stiffness. It does make a weaker wheel but some people want that.
    That's one thing that has intrigued me about the Zipp Zero Moto wheels/rims.

The basic concept behind it is a bit wonky to me. If the rims are as vertically flexible as they suggest, you'd have spokes going completely slack every time you hit a moderately sized rock.

Wouldn't that seriously compromise wheel longevity?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aluminum wheels have always been like that, Iíd even guess even the softest and shallowest carbon rim of this generation is stiffer than any of the later, lighter aluminum rims.

Apart from impact resistance, I donít really see the point though.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm thinking I'll still go the i34as the 18mm depth I demod a ripmo af before I got mine and it had s35 carbon rims which are near identical to the i34as profile and found them exc3llant at holding a line and micro changes where really noticable, while being compliant my current s35 alloy wheelset feels very soft and has alot of sideways movement, feels slightly dull and unresponsive I'm worried the 25mm rim depth will be to laterally stiff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    They claimed shallow profile is stronger than their regular rims due to thicker corners where tires are seated. Not sure if that is true. Thought?

Thicc Member
    It would be tougher against impacts, yes. Also the wider beads will put less stress on the tire during a pinch compression so it would take more force to cut it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looking at the BTLOS 34AS when you are "choose your version" whats the difference between AM EN and DH?? i was going go with the premium wheel since why not lol. but cant tell the difference on those options.. its going on my sentinel so its my enduro/trail bike and i weigh 200# kitted up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortsnarb View Post
    Looking at the BTLOS 34AS when you are "choose your version" whats the difference between AM EN and DH?? i was going go with the premium wheel since why not lol. but cant tell the difference on those options.. its going on my sentinel so its my enduro/trail bike and i weigh 200# kitted up
    More carbon and more weight as you go AM to DH. I think 20-30g per step up. Dig into their website more. Iím pretty sure I saw it somewhere.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    More carbon and more weight as you go AM to DH. I think 20-30g per step up. Dig into their website more. Iím pretty sure I saw it somewhere.
    pretty sure he hit the nail on the head. the am to dh is more weight for a stonger rim, but the difference from standard to premium is more strength and lighter. they use something called t700 resin and t800 resin and the premium version has more t800 resin in it which actually make it strong but also lighter.

mtbr member
    pretty sure he hit the nail on the head. the am to dh is more weight for a stonger rim, but the difference from standard to premium is more strength and lighter. they use something called t700 resin and t800 resin and the premium version has more t800 resin in it which actually make it strong but also lighter.
    Technical correction - the t700 and t800 refer to the carbon fibers, not the resin.

mtbr member
    Btw, my BTLOS gravel wheels have been awesome. I would order from them again.

mtbr member
    Received my Carbonfan 30 ID rims yesterday, they're 24h front, 28h rear, gloss UD with a stealth logo. Very nicely done.

Arthur showed me them at 360g on his scale, on my fish scale they weigh 370g each, but that's probably just my scale. I'll be building them with Berd spokes to try and equal the Notubes Valors in weight with better stiffness. Arthur is a gentleman, wish I could work with him on other projects.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0235.jpg

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_0236.jpg

Thicc Member
    Those look nice. I've always liked gloss. What hubs you going with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Those look nice. I've always liked gloss. What hubs you going with?
    I evaluated going with all-new hubs but that could cost me $900 or more with spare-no-expense DT Swiss 180s or 240s straight pull.

I decided to keep my rear DT Swiss 240 ISO flanged hub and replace my front hub with a Notubes Neo boost. I was disappointed to find out that DT Swiss doesn't make an ISO 240 in 24h.

I still think it's possible to build this up to 1200-1300g with Berd spokes, and possibly as low as 1100g with those super-expensive new hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have broken ROVAL CONTROL SL 29 rear wheel. I would like to buy some new cheap carbon rim, but I'm not sure if everything will fit. Hub is made from DT Swiss 240's internals with 28 DT Swiss Competition Race spokes and DT Swiss Pro Lock hexagonal nipples. https://www.specialized.com/ni/en/ro...ext=30117-2209

What spokes hole diameter I need to choose, 2.5 (for internal nipple)?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE= Arthur is a gentleman[/QUOTE]
    Yes....Arthur at Carbonfan is great to work with. We have ordered about 300 rims from him and his customer service is hard to beat, plus a great warranty and a great product.
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mit3k View Post
    I have broken ROVAL CONTROL SL 29 rear wheel. I would like to buy some new cheap carbon rim, but I'm not sure if everything will fit. Hub is made from DT Swiss 240's internals with 28 DT Swiss Competition Race spokes and DT Swiss Pro Lock hexagonal nipples. https://www.specialized.com/ni/en/ro...ext=30117-2209

What spokes hole diameter I need to choose, 2.5 (for internal nipple)?
    So the short answer is that you need a 29er rim with 28 holes. The long answer is that you will likely need to buy new spokes and new nipples. I would recommend either (a) buying a wheel building book and doing research, (b) go to a local bike shop and talk to them about getting a new wheel built or (c) consider sending your old hub to one of the carbon rim manufacturers and having them build the wheel for you with your old hub and their rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Do you guys know anything about "Coating Free" finish? They now have 3 options to pick Coating Free, Matte, and Glossy.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I got a quote from Amy of $175/rim for the WM-I29A which doesn't seem all that great of a price. Seems there's lots of options out there in the $150 range that are comparable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    we summarized our (little) experience with china rims and posted in our "catalog"

rear photo, real weight, real feedback

in general, we don`t see a lot of difference between different stores (but we love SPEEDSAFE), and we dont know any story with rim failure without rider error or crash

https://catalog.alibuy.biz/product-c...s/wheels/rims/

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Do you guys know anything about "Coating Free" finish? They now have 3 options to pick Coating Free, Matte, and Glossy.
    Get the coating free, there is no way to hide imperfections.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thank you for the answer, I will go with the C.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mit3k View Post
    Thank you for the answer, I will go with the C.
    Based on my experience with my BTLOS wheels, Iíd probably do the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Anybody broken BTLOS wheels yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    There was at least one report of a break in the BTLOS thread. See post #188. I believe it was resolved satisfactorily.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Nope but i've had plenty of loud hard hits that made me stop and check my wheels. I try to run enough pressure to avoid that though..

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tmasta346 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Carbon wheels from Light Carbon? Can get a set for $580 including shipping. XC wheels with DTSwiss 350 hubs.
    I'm also interested in those wheels... anyone know how they stack up against the BTLOS wheels as far as reliability is concerned. Also, what type of shipping was included for that $580 quote?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbiko View Post
    I'm also interested in those wheels... anyone know how they stack up against the BTLOS wheels as far as reliability is concerned. Also, what type of shipping was included for that $580 quote?
    Youíll be lucky if there is anybody that can give you a direct comparison of the durability of the rims from these two companies. But wow, $580 shipped for a DT Swiss 350 wheelset is a great deal.

that said, Iíve dished a lot of abuse on my BTLOS wheelset (original i29 rims that are not offered any longer) over the past two years and other than a bunch of scratches on the outside of the rim they have never required truing and are still going strong. I couldnít really ask for more,

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I ordered the below two days ago. I asked for a discount, and got free shipping; looks like they have multiple coupon codes in use. Mine was CNY2020. Work with Amy was fine, will keep you updated on the timing:

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-capture.png

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmasta346 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbiko View Post
    I'd say go for it. Light Carbon has been around for awhile and from what I remember, has a decent reputation. BTLOS seems to be the not new trend in this thread but I'd personally set my bar with someone like Nextie or Light Bicycle as they have been around a lot longer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Follow up after receiving my BTLOS wheels

My BTLOS i29 asymmetrical "premium" AM wheelset with DT240 exp have arrived and I have one short ride on them. Here's an overview of my experience so far.

Background:
    I am new to carbon wheels, I have a 2019 Transition Smuggler and my stock stans wheels are pretty trashed, I just dented the rear so bad I have to run a tube to hold air. I weigh 160lbs and ride a mix of trail/Allmountain.

I did a reasonable amount of internet searching and used this thread to get up to speed with current options, vendors, specifications, terminology and such.

Pre order "doing my homework"
    I tried to order a wheelset from AliExpress, seller ELITEWHEELS, the language barrier was challenging and after almost 2 weeks of trying to achieve confidence that we were on the same page for specifications and price I determined ELITEWHEELS is not capable of providing the level of communication I needed to feel confident ordering with them.

I had already been looking at/comparing BTLOS and a few others. At this time, I looked closer at BTLOS, I tested communications with a few questions. While there was a little time gap occasionally, Amy always replied and her response was easy to understand and answered my questions fully

Decision made, going with BTLOS:
    I really liked the website layout for wheel building at BTLOS, it was easy to understand, navigate and seemed accurate. I communicated with Amy about what spec's were best for me, I sent her a youtube link to a video of the most common trials I ride which she viewed and responded to accordingly. One thing that could have been better was that the i29a wheel seemed to be a bit buried in the site.

When I ordered, it was late and I was tired, I accidentally ordered the i25a. I followed up with Amy and she updated the order to i29a for me, no change in cost. The change was never reflected in my order details, actually nothing was ever updated on the order details page when I logged in. I also assumed these would come tubeless ready, but discovered though communication with Amy that is an extra so I requested that, I paid another $20 for tape and stems to be installed.

After the order with BTLOS was in
    The build took about 3 weeks, once I was notified of DHL shipping it took about 7-10 days to receive the wheelset.

No import tax was charged (package was marked very low value).

The wheels were packed securely. The build spec was 100% accurate including all the change requests communicated after the initial order. Each wheel had a QC tag showing weight, roundness, and flatness. The weight was less than I expected for an i29 (35mm outside width) at 1450g for the pair before the tape and valves (note that they used really nice valves and tape was applied well).

Here is the actual order spec:

Code:
    Asymmetric XC Trail All Mountain carbon wheelset i29a
      - Rim Size: 29er
      - Series: Premium
      - Version: AM
      - Finish: Matte
      - Weave: UD
      - Hub Type: DT SWISS 240S EXP
      - Spoke Count: 28H/28H
      - Hub Color: Black
      - Ratchet: EXP
      - Front Axle: 15*110mm BOOST
      - Rear Axle: 12*148mm BOOST
      - Freehub: SRAM XD
      - Brake Interface: 6-bolt ( Disc )
      - Spoke: Pillar Aero X-TRA 14..
      - Spoke System: Straight pull
      - Nipple: Brass Black
      - Decal colors: None
    The cost was $960 shipped, plus the $20 for tape and stems, so $980 total.

My thoughts after first ride on the i29a AM Premium from BTLOS
    I am not a wheel expert but they look and feel well built, I threw on my tires, brake rotors, cassette, added some stans fluid, pumped them up and everything looked and felt tight and true.

On my first ride which was a 7 mile trail ride of about 600 assent/descent on dry trail with some nice turns, berms, some roots and such the wheels felt lighter, faster and stiffer than the stock Stans Flow alloy wheels. Ground contact/control felt great, I was running the same tires and pressure as before (22 upfront 24 in rear). I don't know that this stiffer is good bad or different yet, but I can tell they are stiffer.

Summary
    I am thankful for the information I found in this thread and around the forums, I am happy with the wheelset, cost/value, and communication/support I received from BTLOS, I would definitely use them again based on the experience I have had so far.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?-img_20200919_092500.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the thorough review of your BTLOS experience. I echos mine pretty closely. Good product, good service, good price. I hope they keep that up!

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Members who have read this thread: 705