Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which chain length to Purchase

32K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  HerrKaLeu 
#1 · (Edited)
I am about to upgrade to 12 speed Shimano from 11 speed Shimano on my 2018 FS Specialized Epic.
Most groupsets come with 116 link chains.
Does the 116 link version fit most dual suspension bikes, or do most people have to use the 124 or 126 link versions.
This is not a "how do I size my chain" post. it is purely so I don't fit a chain and realise that's it's not going to be long enough.
thanks

#2 ·
I've had FS bikes since 2001 (all in an XL frame size) and never bought a chain that was 'special' with more links than a standard chain for the appropriate drivetrain. Once it showed up I always had to remove a few links to set up properly. This includes my current Kona Process 153 which came with 1X12 drivetrain.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've told have always had to remove links, but as there are now chains with 124 and 126 links, I wasn't totally sure.
Most of the groupsets come with the 116 link chain. I'm yet to see one, unless it's a higher priced one, that comes with an option to change it to a longer one.

#5 ·
As mentioned already, mountain bike 12 speed chains come with 126 links. There are 8, 9 and 10 speed chains that come with 124 links. There are 12 speed road chains that come with 114 links. I've seen other road chains that look to be 116 links. The 11 speed Shimano comes with 116 links.

Just make sure you get a 12 speed chain for a mountain bike.

The Shimano XT CN-8100 12 speed chain comes with 126 links. Buy it.
Or save some money and get the SHIMANO SLX CN-M7100 12 SPEED CHAIN, which also has 126 links.

If you're going SRAM, buy the SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed Chain w/ PowerLock. It also has 126 links.

#6 ·
And as I have already mentioned, I have found 4 piece groupsets that come with a116 link chain. There also shops that sell 116link XT m8100 chains. If you don't believe me then that is ok with me. If you think I'm wrong, google M8100 chains and click on a few shops.

All i was asking was if a 116 link chain would fit. If you don't have an answer you don't need to answer. Perhaps you could have said something like, "I used a 126link chain and removed 6 links to fit my ?? bike, so a 116l chain could possibly be too short" But you seem fixated on the fact that groupsets don't come with 116 link chains.

#7 ·
The description of the Groupset you are looking at could have a Typo listing 116 links I have seen several listings that just carried over info from 11 speed components

I built up an XT 12 speed on an XL Santa Cruz Blur 29'r frame since I bought my XT chain individually (not part of a groupset) it came with 126 links and I removed 6 links.
I have a 28 tooth chain ring and a 10-42 Cassette and fitted the chain using Shimano's guidelines. On a 2 different medium frame builds I removed 5 links.

https://dansbikeblog.com/article/how-calculate-correct-chain-length-shimano-12-speed-drivetrain

I'm not certain 116 links would fit my current drivetrain.

#8 ·
The description of the Groupset you are looking at could have a Typo listing 116 links I have seen several listings that just carried over info from 11 speed components

I built up an XT 12 speed on an XL Santa Cruz Blur 29'r frame since I bought my XT chain individually (not part of a groupset) it came with 126 links and I removed 6 links.
I have a 28 tooth chain ring and a 10-42 Cassette and fitted the chain using Shimano's guidelines. On a 2 different medium frame builds I removed 5 links.
I think you're probably right about the typo, I bet they do come with 126 links. I wonder about how you counted your links though because you can't remove 5 links, only even numbers. Each rivet is counted as 1 link.

And as I have already mentioned, I have found 4 piece groupsets that come with a116 link chain. There also shops that sell 116link XT m8100 chains. If you don't believe me then that is ok with me. If you think I'm wrong, google M8100 chains and click on a few shops.
I have clicked on a few shops and haven't seen anything other than 126 links for an individual chain. As mentioned there might be a typo on the groupset listings, if it were me I'd order without worry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.