Can someone set me straight on a solid 29er wheelset- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    770

    Can someone set me straight on a solid 29er wheelset

    Im not great with components...

    I need a 29er wheelset with xd driver .. boost 148

    Needs to take 29x 4 tires

    For 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy

    Thanks !


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    I'm guessing you mean 29x2.4. Almost any wheel with an ID from 25-30mm will work well with those tires (and you don't need to get anything with a larger ID because the Tallboy 3 won't fit larger than 2.4" tires).

    Personally I started with a cheap Mercury wheelset from Competitive Cyclist on my TB3 (about 30mm ID, alloy rims, XD driver with 54T engagement). Nothing to write home about but they worked well for me for about 1 year. I replaced them with some BTLOS carbon wheels (a bit narrower at 26.5mm ID, but a lot lighter). I like these wheels a lot, but again, there are literally dozens of wheels that fit your criteria. Are you looking for cheap, light, bomb-proof? (choose at most 2)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,214
    Santa Cruz Reserve wheels?
    What, me worry?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    I'm guessing you mean 29x2.4. Almost any wheel with an ID from 25-30mm will work well with those tires (and you don't need to get anything with a larger ID because the Tallboy 3 won't fit larger than 2.4" tires).

    Personally I started with a cheap Mercury wheelset from Competitive Cyclist on my TB3 (about 30mm ID, alloy rims, XD driver with 54T engagement). Nothing to write home about but they worked well for me for about 1 year. I replaced them with some BTLOS carbon wheels (a bit narrower at 26.5mm ID, but a lot lighter). I like these wheels a lot, but again, there are literally dozens of wheels that fit your criteria. Are you looking for cheap, light, bomb-proof? (choose at most 2)
    I was looking second hand to be honest but if I have to spend new I dont wanna go over $600 if possible

    I need xd right? Sram wont fit GX right


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #5
    powered by peanut butter.
    Reputation: heartland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    868
    This is a pretty smoking deal: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ss-29-wheelset

    There is a thread on it down in the Wheels and Tires forum.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

  6. #6
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8,055
    Stans Arch S1 or Flow S1 wheels. https://www.notubes.com/flow-s1-wheelset
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    This is a pretty smoking deal: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ss-29-wheelset

    There is a thread on it down in the Wheels and Tires forum.
    That is a pretty great deal. I've been totally happy with DT350 hubs on another wheel set I own and 1790g is a decent weight for an alloy set.

  8. #8
    g=9.764m/s2
    Reputation: Undescended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    571
    These Mercury wheels have been great for me... https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...N1cnkgd2hlZWxz click above here

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,152
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    That is a pretty great deal. I've been totally happy with DT350 hubs on another wheel set I own and 1790g is a decent weight for an alloy set.
    +1, the hubset alone is more than the cost of those wheels. 28h aint enduro proof, but theyll work if youre not a clyde or a clod.
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

  10. #10
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,812
    I would personally get a set of RaceFace Arc 30 with I9 101 hubs. I believe Wayne @ Speedgear bikes will build em (new) for right around $600.

    https://www.speedgearbike.com/

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,016
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    I need xd right? Sram wont fit GX right?
    You need Xd freehub body if you want to run a 10t(Sram, garbaruk) or 9t(e13) small cassette cog.
    If you dont have that yet, think hard about switching now. Switching later means buying a new freehub body.
    The smaller (than 11t) cog cassettes are lighter(unsprung weight!) and offer the potential of larger gear range if youso desire. If you dont need the larger gear range you get weight saving and more clear ge from the ground for the big cog/derailleur

  12. #12
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,674
    I have a set of Bontrager Kovee elite 30 carbon wheels for sale. 148x12 boost rear with XD driver and 110x15 boost front. $500 HMU if you're interested.


    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...heelset&cat=10
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 04-19-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    No moss...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    35
    Go with I9's They are super strong and the customer service is amazing. Go with any of the enduro's or the grade 300's. unparalleled stiffness and strength.

Similar Threads

  1. Can someone build me a wheel set?
    By drdocta in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 07:04 PM
  2. 1 1/8" straight fork in 1.5" straight headtube
    By Muffinhead in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
  3. Correct headset for 1.5" straight to 1 1/8" straight steerer?
    By Muffinhead in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 04:51 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.