Boost 141 squeezed into 135?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boost 141 squeezed into 135?

I have a titanium bike, and I have heard of people "cold setting" their chainstays from the old 126mm to fit 130mm hubs. that's 2mm per side, and I remember surly use to sale a frame that was 132.5mm spacing so it could take 130mm or 135mm hubs. Has anyone done, or know the consequences of a 141mm boost into a 135mm frame?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by madpanda View Post
    I have a titanium bike, and I have heard of people "cold setting" their chainstays from the old 126mm to fit 130mm hubs. that's 2mm per side, and I remember surly use to sale a frame that was 132.5mm spacing so it could take 130mm or 135mm hubs. Has anyone done, or know the consequences of a 141mm boost into a 135mm frame?
    Why? Can you not just use a 135 rear hub? What's the advantage to a 141? There's way fewer good hub options too.

Depending on the frame in question it could probably be cold set. I'm less familiar with Ti's tolerance to being bent/molded but most steel frames could tolerate that.

If it's a nice frame I wouldn't try to do it in your garage. I've tried on a couple of my frames and it's not easy. I would just take it to someone with a proper frame table and pay to have it done right. You will also have to have the dropout angles corrected to the new wider spacing so they sit flat/square against the hub.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Why? Can you not just use a 135 rear hub? What's the advantage to a 141? There's way fewer good hub options too.

Depending on the frame in question is could maybe be cold set? I'm less familiar with It's tolerance to being bent/molded but most steel frames could tolerate that.

If it's a nice frame I wouldn't try to do it in your garage. I've tried on a couple of my frames and it's not easy. I would just take it to someone with a proper frame table and pay to have it done right. You will also have to have the dropout angles corrected to the new wider spacing so they sit flat/square against the hub.
    I agree that it would be silly to buy a 141 hub and shove it in, but I have an extra wheelset trs+ with XD driver that is 148 boost and I can get qr adapters to make it 141 qr. for a lot less than a crappy wheelset. I didn't think about the dropout angle, I figured it would be negligible. But that's why I am here asking, so thank you. And I would love to pay someone, but I can't find any bike builders locally that would do that to a frame they didn't build.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I agree that it would be silly to buy a 141 hub and shove it in, but I have an extra wheelset trs+ with XD driver that is 148 boost and I can get qr adapters to make it 141 qr. for a lot less than a crappy wheelset. I didn't think about the dropout angle, I figured it would be negligible. But that's why I am here asking, so thank you. And I would love to pay someone, but I can't find any bike builders locally that would do that to a frame they didn't build.
    I would not convert a nice frame to suite an e13 wheelset. Just sell the wheels and buy a GOOD 135 wheelset, then ride the shit out of it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd bother with it. 141 nowadays is a cost-cutting measure for lower end frames. High end frames mostly have thru axles. There are plenty of top end hubs that'll fit 141 with a simple endcap swap with the 148 version, but the real dearth of options is in the low-midrange stuff (just above OEM level and better).

I'm pretty sure that any high quality hub you can get as a 141 is probably also available as a 135 right now, so there's not much point to cold setting a frame.

If there were suddenly zero 135 hubs and a bunch of 141 hubs to choose from, I'd be talking to a framebuilder about the possibility of doing this modification WELL. But at this point? Not worth it.

since 4/10/2009
    Not worth it for those wheels. Buy some good 135 hubs for a wheel build and be done with it. DT Swiss, Onyx, Industry Nine, Chris King, take your pick.

mbtr member
    I'm not going to claim to be a metals expert (cuz i'm very not), but i've built some frames.

Assuming the frame isn't particularly weight-weenie-ish, i'm sure you could bend the rear end out to fit your hub without any real impact on lifespan. You need to ensure that the bend is happening over the length of the tube, and not at the chainstay/seatstay brace. Not that easy.

Plate dropouts are easy to correct with a vice. I wouldn't try if you have hooded dropouts or some sort of through axle dropout.

Agreed on slagging the e13 wheelset. If they were my wheels and frame i wouldn't do this.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov