Bike Build Help- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bike Build Help

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    39

    Bike Build Help

    My current bike is a 2013 Niner EMD 9 which I love. It's light and is an excellent XC bike for a lot of the trails in my area, however I'm looking at potentially buying or building a second bike with more modern geometry and a little more travel.

    I know there is likely better value in buying a complete bike and then upgrading parts here and there, however I've always liked the idea of building a bike with everything I want. I'm just curious if you were building a bike from scratch which components would you spend more money on and which components would you spend less money on? My goal is to get exactly what I what while still trying to be cost conscious and overspending in some areas.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle204 View Post
    My current bike is a 2013 Niner EMD 9 which I love. It's light and is an excellent XC bike for a lot of the trails in my area, however I'm looking at potentially buying or building a second bike with more modern geometry and a little more travel.

    I know there is likely better value in buying a complete bike and then upgrading parts here and there, however I've always liked the idea of building a bike with everything I want. I'm just curious if you were building a bike from scratch which components would you spend more money on and which components would you spend less money on? My goal is to get exactly what I what while still trying to be cost conscious and overspending in some areas.
    Well, do you know exactly what you want, or not?

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    39
    To a degree yes. But I'm just looking for opinions on where others would spend more on components and less on components.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    810
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle204 View Post
    To a degree yes. But I'm just looking for opinions on where others would spend more on components and less on components.
    I cheap out on chains, and replace them more often.

    Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,644
    My 1st gen EMD build was a frame up build. Theres a lot to be said about the gray take-off/import market for bike components. It takes time but for me its proven to be cheaper in the long run. I frequent pink bike a lot b/c theres almost everything in one place. Ive used Aliexpress too.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,213
    I like to just stick with solid known mid tier stuff, and generally aluminum rather than carbon for frame, crank, bars....You can spend more for stuff with a lot of cachet and bling factor, but you'll be the only one who notices or cares, but in the end, you're the only one that matters anyway, so treat yourself.
    What, me worry?

  7. #7
    Thicc Member
    Reputation: TylerVernon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    856
    Frame - possibly the most money depending on your desires. It's the foundation of the build so you should get the one you want.
    Suspension - second highest expense.
    Wheels - third highest expense
    Components - Even the cheap stuff functions fine. Just depends on how much weight you want to save.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,187
    If you know what you want I adhere to this motto:

    https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...e%20cry%20once

  9. #9
    Dirty Old Man
    Reputation: scatterbrained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,033
    If budget limitations are a concern then for me it would be frame, then suspension, then brakes, then rims. Mid level hubs and drivetrains will do the business just fine. Alloy bars will work just fine, and there are plenty of low cost seats that are comfortable. While I prefer carbon wheels, that's one of those budget breaking things for some people.
    . . . . . . . .

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    13,560
    The frame is where your first big savings can be or not.
    If carbon you can be giving up a lifetime warranty if you go used.
    But if you'll go used you can get a complete or warrantied frame only off PB for less than a new frame only.
    And if you go new in 2 months you could negotiate a year end discount of 30-35% with warranty. Or 20% cash now.

  11. #11
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Frame - possibly the most money depending on your desires. It's the foundation of the build so you should get the one you want.
    Suspension - second highest expense.
    Wheels - third highest expense
    Components - Even the cheap stuff functions fine. Just depends on how much weight you want to save.
    This ^. I am also a big fan of Shimano SLX shifting components and brakes for cost/function.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Frame - possibly the most money depending on your desires. It's the foundation of the build so you should get the one you want.
    Suspension - second highest expense.
    Wheels - third highest expense
    Components - Even the cheap stuff functions fine. Just depends on how much weight you want to save.
    I agree with this also. Shimano SLX works great - I wouldn't spring for anything higher up. And unless you have a serious preference for SRAM, I'd go with Shimano just because I think SLX is better than the lower end SRAM stuff. I'm a Shimano brake guy, and I would definitely recommend getting the SLX 4 piston brakes.

    Suspension and wheels can add up quickly. You haven't said what type of bike you are building up, but suspension forks get expensive quickly. I have been really impressed with my Fox 36 Performance fork, and personally don't have a need to pay extra for the Factory / GRIP2 damper. I'd look for tradeoffs like this, and maybe even look for lightly used suspension forks to help keep costs down. Another possibility: if you can find a Fox Rhythm fork on PB or eBay, it should be cheaper than a Fox Float fork, but they are still getting decent reviews. Marzocchi is making high-performing forks at a good price point as well.

    I definitely would not spring for carbon wheels at this point. They are nice, but unless you find a great deal, I don't think they offer enough benefits to justify the cost over aluminum rims. I'd put the money into better hubs first.

    PNW Components is a great value on dropper posts. But Chain Reaction Cycles has offered its BrandX dropper posts at insane prices from time to time, and people seem to like them. I don't think there is any point in dropping $400+ on a dropper seat post.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle204 View Post
    My current bike is a 2013 Niner EMD 9 which I love. It's light and is an excellent XC bike for a lot of the trails in my area, however I'm looking at potentially buying or building a second bike with more modern geometry and a little more travel.

    I know there is likely better value in buying a complete bike and then upgrading parts here and there, however I've always liked the idea of building a bike with everything I want. I'm just curious if you were building a bike from scratch which components would you spend more money on and which components would you spend less money on? My goal is to get exactly what I what while still trying to be cost conscious and overspending in some areas.
    When I bought my last bike, I fully intended to build it up as well. After a couple nights digging through websites, and running the numbers, I came to the realization that getting a new bike on closeout at the end of the season was a way better deal than building it up from scratch. I used some of the $$ I saved to upgrade things that I didn't like (i.e. SRAM brakes), and I bought a nice set of wheels because none of the bikes in my price range had anything worth writing home about. I still came in well under what I would have spent otherwise.

    Also, I have heard that you can negotiate with online sellers if you are placing a large order. They won't do it on the website, but if you call them there is a chance. Depending on which route you go, I'd definitely give this a go - some things, like SRAM components and Fox forks, never seem to go on sale....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    When I bought my last bike, I fully intended to build it up as well. After a couple nights digging through websites, and running the numbers, I came to the realization that getting a new bike on closeout at the end of the season was a way better deal than building it up from scratch. I used some of the $$ I saved to upgrade things that I didn't like (i.e. SRAM brakes), and I bought a nice set of wheels because none of the bikes in my price range had anything worth writing home about. I still came in well under what I would have spent otherwise.

    Also, I have heard that you can negotiate with online sellers if you are placing a large order. They won't do it on the website, but if you call them there is a chance. Depending on which route you go, I'd definitely give this a go - some things, like SRAM components and Fox forks, never seem to go on sale....

    This is really good advice. Thanks. Although I think it might be hard to do this year as bike stock in North America seems to be extremely low. That being said I'm not in a huge rush so looking towards the end of next year would be fine as well.

    The more I run the numbers the more I see how impossible it is to get good value on a build unless you're constantly looking for deals on parts. Probably best to start with a good base and then make a few upgrades to start (wheelset, brakes, etc..). Currently looking at the Rocky Mountain Growler, Kona Big Honzo, Specialized Fuse, Salsa Timberjack, and Marin Nail Trail or San Quentin (if I choose to go 27.5).

Similar Threads

  1. Bantam Build: A little help? (First build)
    By bsurg in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2015, 08:03 AM
  2. To build or not to build. Please help
    By HSracer in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 01:02 AM
  3. Help - AM Chameleon build to temp DJ build
    By kattrap in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
  4. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-14-2012, 01:47 PM
  5. niner build help newbie to build world
    By desflurane in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.