Best Tubeless Brew? - Page 44- Mtbr.com
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 4,301 to 4,314 of 4314
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Question first then back ground in case it's relevant;

Six months in with tubeless and losing air.... I'm told to get a 'shot' or small portion of Stan's to add through the valve after removing the core. *Please advise by what exactly it's called or the size of bottle I need. Any tips related to that process very appreciated also.

My bike has been tubeless for about 6 months and all I know about that is the guy who set it up this way. I rode pretty regularly up to about two months ago so the bike sat for a while.
    Just this week, I'm experiencing my first loss of air and thus far, it seems the front won't hold it very long. Sunday, we biked about 2 hours and it felt soft part way through the ride. By 3/4 of that ride, I added air to get back to the car. I pumped it up at home and spun the wheel some as suggested by him (better yet ride it some) but that, I did not. Still not holding air.

I heard all the great benefits and believed most of what I'd heard but it just didn't grab me by the shirt tails and I was happily pushing pedal, not feeling lost out.
    Eventually, a friend who'd been harping on and on about converting my bike over to tubeless got to me and I felt I'd hurt his feeling arguing otherwise. Beers and music later, it was done. This was likely 6 months ago. It all worked well, held up fine and I barely had to add air in that time. I was more impressed by the job he did than tubeless itself. I thought had read even the best of situations can still mean a bit of TLC or potential for being finicky. Maybe ?

Anyways--- As you might guess, I didn't go to school on tubeless conversion, didn't really get to know the process, or doctor up the ingredients or kit involved etc… Most of my reasoning for being too lazy about going that route prior was to keep biking simple and fun. I'm not really a 'wrench' and stick to the basics and minimums of caring for the bike and keeping it rolling healthy.

I know John will fix me up if needed but I want to follow his advice and start to learn as I go on this tubeless adventure. The benefits make sense and as long as it doesn't outweigh itself by being more problematic than it's worth (in my world), I'll stick with it and learn more in time.
    I'll admit I appreciate those handy with bike repairs, big tear downs or bike builds, buying special groceries to whip up homemade chain lube etc.... it's just a little bit Deep Woods for me and as per time available at present.

Thanks in advance for anything representing simple advice, steps and the right stuff to purchase.

~b
    A lack of sealant shouldn't cause air to escape that fast. You might want to pump up the tire and check to see where air is leaking. A spray bottle filled with water and a few drops of dish detergent works pretty well.

You do need to occasionally add more sealant, especially when it gets warm out. You can squirt a 2 oz bottle of Stan's through your valve, no problem. Then you can keep refilling it from a bigger bottle or homebrew whenever the need arises.

saddlemeat
    I check sealant levels once a month, by pulling the bead and looking in there. You should have about a 6" long puddle in the tire. It's easy to top off the puddle and put the bead back, a floor pump works fine. If you do this you won't have problems on the trail. I live in a desert environment so the sealant dries out faster than some other places.
    I ride with the best dogs.

Co Springs
    Thank you all for the information, it's all new to me and I'm seeing this seems pretty straight forward. I'll update with result's soon.

- bach
    I heard a vaccination joke the other day
    … but some won't get it .

Co Springs
    Update on my front tire loss of air-

I pumped it up yesterday to try the leak test in water and right away, the tire was spewing air on to my wrist. I spotted a sidewall tear that is vertical rather that lateral along the sidewall as I might have expected. It's perfectly straight and a slight tear maybe a half inch or so.

I'll use a partly used Nobby Nic I have lying around and get some schooling of the tubeless process this time via the friend that set it up the first time. Meantime, I've got my other bikes that are ready to roll so I'm not hostage to this fix immediately.
    I heard a vaccination joke the other day
    … but some won't get it .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I tried the BAMFS 2.0. Put some in a tire in September I believe. Only got a handful of rides on it before storing the bike for the winter.
    Changed the tire a few weeks ago, and there was still liquid in the tire. It was very similar to Stan's, but had a mildly oily consistency. It was a bit boogered in areas, but held up better than expected.
    Very nice!

I used this formula:

2.3 parts distilled water
    2 parts propylene glycol
    1 part latex mold builder
    Cornmeal - I used about a tablespoon for about 8oz of sealant, I think. Probably a bit heavy, but worked fine.

I also used a tablespoon of ammonia.

The oily consistency seemed to be from the RV antifreeze. Perhaps straight PG wouldn't be oily? Wasn't an issue really.

I just used the rest of my latex and used the formula above but used about 2/3 the cornmeal, and about a tablespoon of ammonia per 10oz sealant.
    This was a big batch: about 85oz.

Nice work, folks!

Bob

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A quick question I haven't seen a mentioned. For those that use pepper, or cornmeal, or xantham gum have any of you;

a) used a syringe to add fluid through a presta valve stem instead of breaking the bead and adding sealant directly?

and

b) have you had issues with the chunks clogging up your syringe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    90% of time I just use a 60 ml syringe with my home mix through the presta valve with the core removed.

The mix I use is about the same as pedalinbob has outlined above. I am also very heavy on the cornmeal like he is and I have never had an issue using the large syringe with my mix. I did have pepper clump up into boogers in the past so ever since it has been cornmeal.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I've had some cloggage using a syringe - you can avoid it by technique.

I pull the plunger out and fill the body, then replace the plunger slow/careful. Then I invert the syringe and let the chunkulate start to head for the bottom again - then inject while everything is in transit.

If you let all the chunks congregate in the outlet of the syringe, then try to inject - that's when you will probably clog the valve stem.

I was injecting a mix with slime and added rubber chunk - very likely to clog.

On that note, I'm giving up on the rubber chunk. I made one batch with them, had serious booger issues. Made a second batch, but soaked the rubber chunks in ammonia water overnight trying to "passivate" them - but only helped a wee bit. Guess I'll be on the cornmeal bandwagon now.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    If you let all the chunks congregate in the outlet of the syringe, then try to inject - that's when you will probably clog the valve stem.
    THEORETICALLY, if you use xantham gum it keeps the chunks in suspension so they don't settle in the syringe...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    A quick question I haven't seen a mentioned. For those that use pepper, or cornmeal, or xantham gum have any of you;

a) used a syringe to add fluid through a presta valve stem instead of breaking the bead and adding sealant directly?

and

b) have you had issues with the chunks clogging up your syringe?
    Use 60 ml syringe all the time. I do shake the sealant bottle well before pouring into the syringe. After some use ~5 time I discard the syringe and use a new one.

No Clue Crew
    I used to not want to break the bead and got plugged up stems and syringes all the time. Then I tried it and it's not big deal. It's a little tougher with CushCore in now but better than plugged up stems that won't let air in or out or both.

I got a few of these condiment squeeze bottles. You can chop off as little or as much of the tip to allow your sealant and chunkulators to flow through easily. With this tip I just need to get a tire level in and pop off the smallest portion of the tire.

They come in different sizes as well. I've found the 8oz is what I use with my Home Brew. My brew is thicker than most everyone else so on a brand new tire I need 8oz minimum to seal and have some left over for punctures. When I refill I put in 4oz. It's more than everyone else but my Sentinel with Cush Core is approaching 36# so sealant weight is the least of my worries. Well... my sealant may be 2# of that 36#

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I agree with big0Mike about using condiment squeeze bottles. They are very cheap and they work as good or better than a syringe. They are also easier to clean.

saddlemeat
    I just break the bead and pour it in right out of the jug.

You want to maintain about a 6" long puddle.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Regarding mold latex - early in this home brew thread, read remarks about condiment bottles. I had some 2 oz Wheels Manufacturing bearing bottles. With a few inches of 5/16 tubing it's easy to fill a presta valve with core out, or bottle nozzle straight into a schrader.

Here is another use - mold latex can be used to help seat a tire. It dries quickly and its stickiness attracts it to the bead and locks in the rush of air. A paintbrush made a mess - but the 2 oz bottle nozzle is perfect for applying a line around the bead. The tire linked right up. This is all non UST/TLR, but on a 21 mm ID rim and tire with reasonable thread count and sidewall.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Members who have read this thread: 322