Best chinese carbon seatpost..need help navigating the Chinese carbon maze!- Mtbr.com
    I like turtles

Best chinese carbon seatpost..need help navigating the Chinese carbon maze!

Which one is the best? They all look the same on eBay but there are slight differences in the price...which one is quasi-reputable? Looking to put this on my road bike. Any advice or recommendations for who to get it from. ~$30 is a great deal.

Thanks!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't know. $30 doesn't seem like that great of a deal considering how crappy the clamp is and the weights aren't that good.

mtbr member
    yep, as good as the frames and certain things are, the seatposts aren't that great. The bolt system slides and won't hold tension on your saddle...most have to buy the bontrager clamp. And the weights are usually high.

Spend more and get an ec90, ritchey, etc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The clamp is fine. Rough up the carbon surface with sand paper. Also the it helps if the clamps are parallel. From one rail to the other. I had to replace the bolt with a decent cap head.

ballbuster
    I'm not a fan of carbon seatposts. I vertically cracked a Specialized by overtightening it, and it wasn't that tight... and it didn't weigh any less than those $25 cheapo alloy ones you can get on fleabay. It kept slipping, so I kept upping the bolt tension.. and it wasn't that high. CRICK!!

I got one of the 'Turner' branded two bolt seatposts, but I think Turner had nothing to do with it, except for having their name a logo poached. It's 220 grams and plenty strong under my 210 pound behind on my hardtail singlespeed. It's also internally machined out in an oval, like Thomson seatposts. It basically looks like one of those KCNC lightweight posts.

Yeah, I love the carbon, but I just don't think carbon is good for seatposts unless you spend fat cash on one. Even then, they aren't that much lighter than an alloy post. To me, you may as well be taping $100 bills to your bike.

I like turtles
    My Niner post has been flawless. I want one to dampen out my road bike a bit. Sounds like they aren't that great...will try used on eBay.

mtbr member
    FWIW......I keep hearing good reports on carbon products made by light-bicycle.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've had carbon, ti and alum post. Couldn't tell one from another as far as dampening and what not. I bought a Thomson Masterpiece. It's light and well, it's a Thomson so I don't worry about it breaking, slipping or whatever when I'm 50 miles from the car.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bought a carbon post on ebay a while back - can't remember the seller but it was definitely a tank. Much heavier than advertised. I would spend a little money and get a good seatpost.

mtbr member
    I bought the light-bicycle post. The cap head screw was a soft material and I struggled to get it torqued enough to keep my seat from moving. After I switched to the Bontrager parts, the post has been flawless. I did as recommended above and roughed up the carbon and used some carbon paste. If I were to do it over, I would probably buy a different style clamp post. However I am a bigger guy so that didn't help the situation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had this one on my HT for better than a year without any issues. CarbonCycles.CC :: Components :: Products :: Seat Posts - Carbon :: eXotic Carbon Titanium Seatpost :: CC-S0935

While I'll admit I did not like the clamp design, it has held my seat just fine. I've never had to tighten it since initial adjustments were made.

I like turtles
    Decided on a used Specialized on eBay with a vibration dampening insert..we will see if it smooths out my stiff-ass aluminum bike! Thanks for the comments though.

Members who have read this thread: 4