Best affordable saddle bags (or side bags) for hardtail 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best affordable saddle bags (or side bags) for hardtail 29er?

So I am tired of wearing a water bag on my back with tubes and tools (I will do tubeless just not yet). I am thinking of putting saddle bags on my bike. It already has the top screws for the back rack above the back tire as you can see in the pictures below. I want to get saddle bags and it would be a plus if they look awesome and have space and are affordable.

Any recommendations?Best affordable saddle bags (or side bags) for hardtail 29er?-cam01549.jpgBest affordable saddle bags (or side bags) for hardtail 29er?-cam01550.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you're planning on riding trails with your bike and only need to carry a tune and some basic tools, then don't get a rack. Just get a saddle bag. There are all kinds in different sizes to fit what you need. I have a Speedsleev. It holds all the things I usually might need on a regular ride (tube, co2, tire lever, multi tool). If you are using your bike for commuting or touring and need to carry a lot of clothing, laptop, etc then I'd say consider a rack and panniers

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    If you're planning on riding trails with your bike and only need to carry a tune and some basic tools, then don't get a rack. Just get a saddle bag. There are all kinds in different sizes to fit what you need. I have a Speedsleev. It holds all the things I usually might need on a regular ride (tube, co2, tire lever, multi tool). If you are using your bike for commuting or touring and need to carry a lot of clothing, laptop, etc then I'd say consider a rack and panniers
    This could not be more right.. If you are using saddle bags, like you are calling them the proper name is called a Pannier, then you run a large risk of getting it caught on branches, twigs, rocks and whatnot as you go down the trail unless you are specifically riding only fire roads or very wide multi use trails. I would look into a true saddlebag (one the attaches under your saddle) as it will be able to easily fit all you want. Take the items you want to hold in the bag with you to your LBS and try a couple different ones out so you dont get the wrong bag (e.g. one that is too small). For water, get yourself a couple of water bottle cages and take bottles instead of a pack and learn to drink less water on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Like the other guys said, just get a bag that attaches under your seat. Most of us call them "seat packs". My favorite is the Jandd Mountain Wedge II (made in the USA!): Mountain Wedge II

It will easily carry a tube, mini tool, and tire irons with some room left over. Attach a mini pump to the water bottle cage mounts and throw some water bottle cages and bottles on the frame and you are set.