Anyone want to talk tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Anyone want to talk tires?

So Iím getting new tires for my Rockhopper and looking for some thoughts. I ride trail in Fort Worth which means pretty varied weather from very dry to sort of muddy, some flowy with some technical but looking for something grippier than stock tires. My two thoughts after research are:

front: Maxxis DHR II 2.4

back: Maxxis Aggressor 2.3 (or another Maxxis?)

OR

front: WTB Vigilante 2.5

back: WTB Trail Boss 2.4

thoughts???

aka bOb
    Maxxis Dissector front and rear.

banned
    Oct 2019
    I would forget about WTB. Had them before and never again. Maxxis or Vittoria IMO for the given price, always better. Schwalbe are great but often a bit pricey. People praise Continentals, but I have no experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Specialized has some decent tires and the price is better than other big brands. I ripped a knob off a Hans Dampf and replaced it with an Eliminator (on the rear). It has really good traction and similar protection to an EXO casing Maxxis. The Butcher is a chunkier option, but they have a 2.6 Eliminator that would probably work well on the front. A Specialized 2.6 is closer to a 2.5WT by Maxxis.

Plenty of good options out there. Pick what looks good to you and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If going that aggressive why not just do DHF front and DHR rear? or DHF front aggressor rear.

What do you have now and what specifically do you want to improve upon, while aggressive tires will help a ton in some cases you will also feel the increased rolling resistance and weight potentially.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Potroman View Post
    thoughts???
    Continental Trail King in 2.4" front and back.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Continenta...g_q=trail+king
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What width rims and what year Rockhpper? On my Ď17 RH it probably doesnít have clearance for anything over 2.3. So keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Continental cross kings here 2.3. Low rolling resistance and light. I have had no traction problems in the dry so far. Should have probably used them on the back and put trail kings up front

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    while aggressive tires will help a ton in some cases you will also feel the increased rolling resistance and weight potentially.

That is it in a nutshell. There is a balancing act, and is he really outriding his current choice.

I can see summer tires needing to be changed from winter tires however
    Last edited by Outhouse; 10-31-2019 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have the WTB combo you're suggesting, only a 2.6 in front rather than a 2.5. They have 300 miles on them now and already look pretty worn, but admittedly, they've been hard miles, e.g., I did the Whole Enchilada a few weeks ago. I loved the tires when I first got them, and they are still very good. I just wonder if a different set of tires would have kept that edge for a little longer.

I have a strong preference for these tires over the Maxxis Minions with that giant dead space between the middle and the side knobs, but I understand many others don't feel the same way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have just moved from minion dhf / aggressor 2.3 to minion dhr 2.4 front and rear .
    Yes I have a lot more grip on certain sections but I can feel the added drag and weight everywhere . Including down hill !!

mtbr member
    What tires are you replacing, and what rim width are we talking about?

More aggressive tires will give you much better traction in the turns, as well as most likely better braking traction. But as others have said, they also take more effort to move, so theyíll tire you out more, especially when pedaling uphill/etc.

Iím currently running a wtb vigilante 2.6in on the front (light casing, high grip compound) with a 2.3in maxxis dhf in the rear. I used to have another DHF on the front, but didnít like the lack of transition knobs (Feels vague in turns as moderate lean angles, and likes to skate in the mud). Also, exo casing is just not thick enough for my riding (~200lbs all kitted up).

I also had a Magic Mary that I really liked on my other bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Maxxis 2.5 in the front, Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the rear. Both EXO casings. I tried all kinds of tires over the decades, stopped when I found Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 front and DHR 2.4 in the rear. That is a pretty solid combo for what u described.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I use Maxxis Minions DHF Wide trail 29x2.5 F/R (25psi F / 28psi R) on top of that I ride light and weigh about 160lbs. I've noticed with proper air pressure (to your riding style) you'll get amazing traction from your tires. I didn't go the max size the DV9 can take because of the added friction/resistance (which is only .1" bigger) and weight. Nonetheless, I believe 2.5 is a nice sweet spot (IMO) in-terms of traction and weight to not accumulate too much loss. I might consider 2.6F and 2.5R in the future but currently I'm not having any issues with my current setup.

As mentioned above, what are you replacing and why (just to see what your previous tires were lacking and see what might fill in your expectations)
    2019 Ibis DV9 XX1 Gold | Code RSC | 25.4lbs
    2018 Orbea Loki 27 XX1 Rainbow/Black/Grey | Code RSC | 28.11lbs

mtbr member
    Im running Specialized Butcher grid on the front and Purgatory grid on the rear I get decent traction on dry but on wet the rear could use more traction , fast and fun but am wanting to try the Maxxis dissector front and rear when these wear out