Any 29x2.6 studded- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,770

    Any 29x2.6 studded

    I have a credit to spend.
    It is the max that will fit.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,864
    45NRTH WrathChild. I really like the fat bike version of this tire.

    https://45nrth.com/products/wrathchild_29

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    27
    I was just going to make a thread about this tire. I've been playing with the idea of grabbing some studded tires for two winters now... my LBS has some studded Nicotines on clearance and then I saw these... I nearly shit myself when I saw the price.

    I get that studded are going to be more expensive in general. These aren't super wide, have the same stud count as the Kahva and Nicotine... But they want $195 per tire?

    I run multiple sets of wheels/tires on my car (snow's, daily summer's, track day summer's) and can count on one hand how many times I've paid that much for a car tire.
    "your breath stinks like kitty litter." "what can i say? i was curious..."

  4. #4
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15,063
    Quote Originally Posted by State O'Maine View Post
    I was just going to make a thread about this tire. I've been playing with the idea of grabbing some studded tires for two winters now... my LBS has some studded Nicotines on clearance and then I saw these... I nearly shit myself when I saw the price.

    I get that studded are going to be more expensive in general. These aren't super wide, have the same stud count as the Kahva and Nicotine... But they want $195 per tire?

    I run multiple sets of wheels/tires on my car (snow's, daily summer's, track day summer's) and can count on one hand how many times I've paid that much for a car tire.

    I'm no apologist for the cost of niche bike things, but I also recognize economies of scale at work. There are orders of magnitude more car tires being produced than there are 29 x 2.6" studded bicycle tires.

    Simply put, it's not a fair comparison.

    I have a few 29" studded tires on closeout.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    27
    thanks for the link mike. i need to convince the little lady of my "need" for studded, hoping the fact that we already have had snow on the ground a couple times plus another two to four coming tomorrow will help sway her.

    i completely agree on the economies of scale. and like you said, bike tires are more of a niche and then add in the fact that studded bike tires even more so...

    but the thing that boggled my mind was that the price difference even within 45nrth's lineup. its a hundred bucks more than their kahva's. same stud count, tread design/pattern doesn't "look" hard to manufacture. it doesn't list it as some kind of exotic unicorn blood infused tread compound.

    i do know it'd be nice to have a couple hundred dollars to blow on four or five sets of studded tires and decide "hey, i like this one best!" but alas, reality sets in once again.
    "your breath stinks like kitty litter." "what can i say? i was curious..."

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,529
    Quote Originally Posted by State O'Maine View Post
    thanks for the link mike. i need to convince the little lady of my "need" for studded, hoping the fact that we already have had snow on the ground a couple times plus another two to four coming tomorrow will help sway her.

    i completely agree on the economies of scale. and like you said, bike tires are more of a niche and then add in the fact that studded bike tires even more so...

    but the thing that boggled my mind was that the price difference even within 45nrth's lineup. its a hundred bucks more than their kahva's. same stud count, tread design/pattern doesn't "look" hard to manufacture. it doesn't list it as some kind of exotic unicorn blood infused tread compound.

    i do know it'd be nice to have a couple hundred dollars to blow on four or five sets of studded tires and decide "hey, i like this one best!" but alas, reality sets in once again.
    Look for used, also count on at least 5 years of use for a pair. Unless you have lots of rocks to deal with in addition to the snow.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    276
    Has anyone mounted up a wrathchild 29x2.6? I'm interested in the measurements. I currently run 29x2.6 Rekon's and they fit okay but I'm thinking with snow and ice and mud with studs I'm going to exceed my already tight clearances on my Riot.

    I can safely run a 29x2.6 studded tire on my Fox 36 up front but can anyone recommend a 29x 2.5-2.4-2.3 studded tires that will fit on a 32mm rim? I love winter trail riding. I just want to reduce slipping on ice.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

  8. #8
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    15,063
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    recommend a 29x 2.5-2.4-2.3 studded tires that will fit on a 32mm rim? I love winter trail riding. I just want to reduce slipping on ice.

    There are 2.25's and 2.35's at this link: https://bigwheeldeals.blogspot.com/2...-for-sale.html

    I have the 2.6" Wrath's but haven't mounted any yet.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    Has anyone mounted up a wrathchild 29x2.6? I'm interested in the measurements. I currently run 29x2.6 Rekon's and they fit okay but I'm thinking with snow and ice and mud with studs I'm going to exceed my already tight clearances on my Riot.

    I can safely run a 29x2.6 studded tire on my Fox 36 up front but can anyone recommend a 29x 2.5-2.4-2.3 studded tires that will fit on a 32mm rim? I love winter trail riding. I just want to reduce slipping on ice.
    Mounted up on 25mm DT Swiss XR 391 rim 60-61 mm, not that big. Went with Schwalbe 29 x 2,25 Ice Spiker 58mm used this tire Last years 26 x 2.35 and loved in here In Minnesota

Similar Threads

  1. Ardent 29x2.25 lust vs Ikon 3c tr 29x2.35
    By t-ruh in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2014, 08:11 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM
  3. 29x2.1 or 29x2.3??
    By maximumsport in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 11:15 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM
  5. Geax Saguaro 29x2.2 vs Mountain King 29x2.4 ?
    By Clones123 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.