29er XC inner tube?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 29er XC inner tube?

What brand inner tube do you like best for XC riding? The thing is that I have been using Bontragers and have had 5 of the valve stems just snap off or break in different ways and I am being very careful not to bend it with the pump. I just want to try something different but want to make sure I'm not buying junk. Anything you know would be great!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I like q tubes. They have removable valve core and I put a little stans sealant in them.

mtbr member
    One word: tubeless!

Sorry, I know it is not what you were asking, but I loved the transition from tubed to tubeless years ago with the Stans strip on regular rims with regular tires (not too expensive of a conversion, especially if you have gone through 5 tubes in a short time!) and have never considered going back to tubes. I have also been lucky and not had any on-the-trail horror stories from being tubeless. I do carry a tube with me, but have never had to use it!

On my road bike, I use Continental tubes - pricey, but never had valve issues. I like the sounds of the q tubes with the removable cores!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragon1,555 View Post
    What brand inner tube do you like best for XC riding? The thing is that I have been using Bontragers and have had 5 of the valve stems just snap off or break in different ways and I am being very careful not to bend it with the pump. I just want to try something different but want to make sure I'm not buying junk. Anything you know would be great!
    Try any other brand. I doubt it is a flaw in the tubes, though.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

meow meow
    i generally use bonty or maxxis mid weight tubes. never had an issue. i guess if you want to try something new try maxxis although, honestly, im not sure there is much of a difference.

mtbr member
    When I have to use tubes I what everlightweight 26" tube I have laying around. Saves a bit of weight and works fine.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    Are you just snugging the nut tight or really cranking down on it?

The small nut that threads on doesn't need to be real tight and doing so could cause this.

Parking Lot Poser

sounds like operator error

Get a presta to schrader adapter. It will cost you a couple bucks, but in the long run more than likely save you money on tubes

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    CST, Q-tubes Superlight. Pretty light at 170-180 grams and pretty durable so far.

mtbr member
    I install about two dozen Bontrager tubes a week and various bikes, and about one in ten thousand have faulty valves. it must be user error. maybe try a different pump?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bontrager, since that is what the LBS stocks up on.

But... I've gone tubeless.... but a spare Bontrager tube is in my saddle bag

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Maybe this is a good excuse to go tubeless! My tires and wheels are tubeless reedy. I'll check out the Q-tubes and make sure I don't have the nut to tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    One word: tubeless!

Sorry, I know it is not what you were asking, but I loved the transition from tubed to tubeless years ago with the Stans strip on regular rims with regular tires (not too expensive of a conversion, especially if you have gone through 5 tubes in a short time!) and have never considered going back to tubes. I have also been lucky and not had any on-the-trail horror stories from being tubeless. I do carry a tube with me, but have never had to use it!

On my road bike, I use Continental tubes - pricey, but never had valve issues. I like the sounds of the q tubes with the removable cores!
    AMEN, best thing I ever did...besides going 29...and maybe ergon grips...or disc brakes. But seriously. Go tubeless. $ is no excuse. I have easily broken easy in first year for cost of tubes, patches etc. I am a big fatty and ride very rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been running q tubes for a while and haven't had a flat in a year. Tubeless is great for some, but for me it's not worth the trouble or expense right now. I may have 4 flats on my next ride and change my mine.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Maybe this is a good excuse to go tubeless! My tires and wheels are tubeless reedy. I'll check out the Q-tubes and make sure I don't have the nut to tight.
    If the valve stems are breaking because of the way you are inflating the tire, you will likely break a tubeless valve, too.

What pump do you use?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The problem is with your pump and how it attaches to the valve, rather than the Bontrager inner tubes.

For a track pump you can replace the head easily with a different one. Track pump heads that attach at 90 degrees or use a locking lever may put leverage on the valve which could bend or break a presta valve.

Silca track pumps are reliable and their pump heads push straight down onto the valve. If you use one of those attachments you're unlikely to ever break a valve using it. The heads are available seperately so you could also cut the head off your existing track pump and attach one of these with a hose clip around the hose to ensure it's airtight

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/silca-tra...ptor-prod3663/

For use out on the trail most minipumps can potentially bend a presta valve if you aren't careful. Push the pump fully onto the valve, apply the locking lever and hold the pump carefully as you pump so that the pump is always kept at 90 degrees to the valve.

Pictured below: Silca track pump head pushes directly down onto valve so is unlikely to bend a presta valve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er XC inner tube?-silca_track_pump_head.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 05-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 1