29er wheelsets and drops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

29er wheelsets and drops

Hi guys: I have a couple bikes but the one I am thinking most about is my 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8. It has Bontranger wheels but I am not sure the model. Recently, I started screwing around building some small kicker ramps to work on jumping technique. I have only been launching about 2' but I just built one that will easily launch me 3+ feet. I am starting to get concerned that this is too much for what the bike was designed to do. I weigh right around 200 and I am talking about landing on flat surfaces, not a transition. Any thoughts on their strength?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Pretty but I may have gotten carried away with the curve. I just built this one and haven't tried it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, you got carried away with the curve. It may throw your rear wheel upward after your front is already airborne.

No natural trails near you to practice on?

As far as your wheels and bike go, they'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nope, not less than a 1/2 hour drive. I think I'll rebuild the ramp rather than injure myself.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    Nope, not less than a 1/2 hour drive. I think I'll rebuild the ramp rather than injure myself.
    Move it closer to the pool!

Today's rims are pretty amazing. Landing crooked will probably be the only thing that does them in.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

since 4/10/2009
    agree that modern 29er wheels are pretty solid. Especially if they're built by hand by a good builder.

I built a 29er hardtail this year, with my last hardtail being a 26er I bought almost 20yrs ago. I do stuff on my new 29er that would have folded my old 26er's wheels in half. AND they're the first wheels I built myself (which means they could probably be built better).

Landings to flat are hardly desirable, though. That said, as long as you land them straight and square, you're probably more likely to bend pedal spindles.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    All you need to do to check the integrity of a wheel is to check the tension of the sets of parallel spokes. You can do this by hand and all you are looking for is uneven tensions. Get a proper sized spoke wrench and make sure all the spokes are at even tensions. This is the most basic of wheel maintenance but it will allow you to lengthen the lifetime of your wheels.

If it happens that you do need to replace wheels then I would recommend industry nine wheels. They are super strong and the warranty is pretty good. I like them a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Buy a used DJ, you’re gonna end up hurting yourself doing it with a big bike on little wood ramps, jumping to flat on asphalt.

Maybe s skateboard 🙄
    GG Shred Dogg 27+/29 (go fast!)
    RSD Wildcat V2 (backyard kicks)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

Formerly of Kent
    That's not a bike ramp. That's a skateboard ramp. For a tiny skateboard.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    agree that modern 29er wheels are pretty solid. Especially if they're built by hand by a good builder.
    Agree 100% that modern 29er wheels are pretty tough, especially if well built. I have a set of Stan's rims laced into some DT Swiss 350's by Mike at www.lacemine29.com. Those things are pretty bulletproof, handling 3-4 footers all day and the occasional 6 footer on days when I'm extra brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Buy a used DJ, you’re gonna end up hurting yourself doing it with a big bike on little wood ramps, jumping to flat on asphalt.
    Yep. Also 100% true.