29er fork for a new SS hardtail build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

29er fork for a new SS hardtail build

Hey guys, I just ordered a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame, and I need to get everything else in order, starting with the fork. I have found some deals on Rockshox, but the pros closet has some seemingly nice Fox forks on sale, albeit without the warranty. The 120mm 34 fox also has a remote for lockout, which would be VERY nice for climbing with an SS, but I don't know if the lackof warranty should be troubling or not.

So, if you were picking a 120-130mm fork for a 29 SS build, which way would you go?

mtbr member
    how comfortable are you with servicing your own fork? I have a Fox 34 and I recently reduced the travel from 140 to 120. it's pretty simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    how comfortable are you with servicing your own fork? I have a Fox 34 and I recently reduced the travel from 140 to 120. it's pretty simple.
    I'll be honest, while I am sure I COULD do it myself, I prefer to not touch the innards of my suspension for fear of messing something up. I would prefer something that is a little lighter on the maintenance, actually.

mtbr member
    the Fox is pretty easy to set up and maintain. I have never felt any need for a remote lockout. some people like this but it sounds like useless clutter to me. the only time I lock it out is on long stretched of road, and sometimes I forget to do that. how hard is it to reach down a few inches and throw a switch?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    the Fox is pretty easy to set up and maintain. I have never felt any need for a remote lockout. some people like this but it sounds like useless clutter to me. the only time I lock it out is on long stretched of road, and sometimes I forget to do that. how hard is it to reach down a few inches and throw a switch?
    Not a bad point. I actually do not know if the other one they have at TPC has lockout. Since it isn't on a typical site, and the options for forks these days is ridiculous, I don't know which ones have it or not, unless they come with a remote that is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That is my experience exactly. I built up a transition Vanquish 6 months ago. Itís fitted with a Fox 34 step cast 120 fork, 51 offset which is I am very happy with. No remote as I donít think thereís any benefit and handlebar clutter is all bad. Lock-out on the Fox is tighter than a 120mm Pike on my Yelli Screamy (also 120mm) and has been perfect for long road and fireroad climbs during COVID lockdown.

Only question in my mind is lighter step cast 34 or standard (maybe stiffer) regular 34 Fox with more travel configurations. Once Covid is over Iíll be riding to my limits on rowdy trails again and figure that out.

The Pike on the Yelli is nonetheless a very capable fork, a bit heavier duty than the step cast. Fox lock out is superior IMO (but that is splitting hairs)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the replies all.

I went a slightly different direction. While having a top of the line fox sounded great, no warranty worries me when it is essentially being sold new. So, I did some more research and found the marzocchi bomber Z2, essentially a dumbed down fox 34 as far as I can tell. Heavier, less adjustment, but supposedly really easy to service. Given that I hate working on forks, I thought this would be a good fork for me to attempt maintaining on my own. It actually showed up yesterday, and seems great.

Now I await the frame...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Thanks for the replies all.

I went a slightly different direction. While having a top of the line fox sounded great, no warranty worries me when it is essentially being sold new. So, I did some more research and found the marzocchi bomber Z2, essentially a dumbed down fox 34 as far as I can tell. Heavier, less adjustment, but supposedly really easy to service. Given that I hate working on forks, I thought this would be a good fork for me to attempt maintaining on my own. It actually showed up yesterday, and seems great.

Now I await the frame...
    Waiting for frames - not sure if I live the anticipation or hate the delay! Have fun! Z2 has a great rep with riding friends - gear is so good now that itís hard to make a bad choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Duplicate post - sorry

Duplicate