mtbr member

29"+ on a Salsa Mukluk

Just throwing some ideas around in my head with a 1,000 km+ "gravel grinder" bikepacking type ride in mind. I have a choice of going on my Surly Long Haul Trucker or the Salsa Mukluk but if I went on the Mukluk I think I would like to go with a narrower faster tyre (currently running 4" tyres). I suspect that having 3" tyres would just give me the edge and a few more options in the more remote parts of the ride.

So I am exploring the idea of going with 29+ tubeless rims and tyres [it will need to be a build as I will run a SON 28 150 15 dynamo].

Any suggestions on the way to go with a 29+ build? Rims? Tyres options?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    Just throwing some ideas around in my head with a 1,000 km+ "gravel grinder" bikepacking type ride in mind. I have a choice of going on my Surly Long Haul Trucker or the Salsa Mukluk but if I went on the Mukluk I think I would like to go with a narrower faster tyre (currently running 4" tyres). I suspect that having 3" tyres would just give me the edge and a few more options in the more remote parts of the ride.

So I am exploring the idea of going with 29+ tubeless rims and tyres [it will need to be a build as I will run a SON 28 150 15 dynamo].

rims and width of rim will be all what you want. I see people running 30mm to 46mm ID rims on 3" tires.

I'd run something with at least 36mm ID and carbon.
    Tries, I'd go with the new Bontrager XR2 3" tires. They are fast rolling tires and have a good amount of traction over all.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Thanks @brent701.

mtbr member

Shocker, I know, but there's awhole fat to 29+ conversion thread in the 29+ forum.
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Shocker, I know, but there's awhole fat to 29+ conversion thread in the 29+ forum.
    Thanks for such an informative helpful reply

mtbr member
    Thanks for such an informative helpful reply
    Yer welcome, I strive to be moderately helpful
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I do. Schlick Cycles was selling some 47mm Northpaw 29+ wheelets that fit Mukluks. I had to space the front disk because the front hub will fit a rear spaced fork as well. They save some weight and do roll pretty well with 3.0 WTB Rangers.

Edit: looks like they still have them. https://schlick-cycles.myshopify.com...aw-29-wheelset
    $549