2020 Specialized Purgatory GRID- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

2020 Specialized Purgatory GRID

I just picked up the new 2020 Purg in hopes to shave some weigh and get a faster rolling rear. Currently running Eliminators 2.6 front and rear. Thought this new purg 2.3 with a claimed weight on Spesh website says 810grams. It weighs in a 961 grams. which is heavier then the 2.6 previous gen purg that weighed in at 940grams. Pretty bummed, looking for a rear tire from spesh. Maybe a ground control 2.3(890grams) / or eliminator 2.3 (946grams) Any ideas for a rear to pair with the 2.6 Eliminator?2020 Specialized Purgatory GRID-purg1.jpg2020 Specialized Purgatory GRID-purg2.jpg

Rocks belong
    If it's like the "2.3" Eliminator... it'll actually measure out to 2.4"

My "old" 2.6 Purgatory measures 2.48" and has a thin casing that I don't trust for AM bike use.

Interesting tread pattern!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. It is cool looking and an interesting departure from basic square knobs. IDK if it performs consequentially differently.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    I got a 2.6 Eliminator Grid. Spesh's website said 850gr...my scale said 960gr.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    29 or 27.5?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    If it's like the "2.3" Eliminator... it'll actually measure out to 2.4"

My "old" 2.6 Purgatory measures 2.48" and has a thin casing that I don't trust for AM bike use.

Interesting tread pattern!
    i think i might just go with that 2.3 eliminator on the rear. lighter then the new purg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinjLV View Post
    29 or 27.5?

Hitching a ride
    That tire looks like it has poor climbing traction.

mtbr member
    ^^^ because of the chevrons? Some will mount a rear tire backward because of this. If you're spinning the tire in small loose stuff climbing, it might help. I'm skeptical it'd be consequential.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    following

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    I just got off a ride with a 29 x 2.3 Black Diamond Eliminator on the rear (fs on the plush side) and it definitely hooks up nicely going up about anything I came across today, to include rocky/rooty stuff, hardpack, and leaves. I have a 29 x 2.6 grid Purg (1000 gm!) on the front of my other fs (plush as well) and I love it on the front because it fills in the transition zone really well. I like it front 2.6 and rear 2.3 because it is the starting point for bigger knobs, as far as I'm concerned (anything less seems cross country to me), has plenty of rubber on the ground, but knobs big enough to catch and crawl over stuff because I am slow. The Eliminator has me rethinking Purg on the rear, however, because it hooked up so well today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    HHL - you didnt find the eliminator lacking in braking traction? I tested it on both ends but will only use it as a front moving forward.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    That tire looks like it has poor climbing traction.
    On the flip side, it should offer excellent braking traction, no?

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I got the chance to see/touch one of these in person - the casing on the new 2020 Purgatory GRID seems like it would offer better sidewall abrasion resistance than my "old" Purgatory 2.6 GRID
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    I don't have too many powerful braking needs in Kansas, except for impending trees and falling off Bethany Falls limestone face rock. Lol. But no, I was never skidding along. I have learned to be a heavy front brake user, however, because I come from a motorcycle background. For me, the back brake is a weak sister (sorry, strong sisters!) when it comes to braking, which is why I like brakes I can easily modulate front and rear. The rear tread is mostly about forward progress for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    HHL - I'm a moto guy myself. Just did a track day a few weeks ago. Not even sure I used the rear brake, lol. On the MTB though, I use it to steer and trail brake when I over cook a turn. Happens more than it should if I'm being honest. Anyway, out here in the Vegas desert all forms of traction are at a high priority. We have the driest loose over hard pack I've ever seen. I'm always seeking for more grip. The eliminator was my favorite front tire ever until the assegai exo+ was released. Now I'm thinking of going back to the eliminator with the grid trail because its a larger casing and faster rolling speed. and I'm very intrigued by the tread pattern on the new purgatory. Just not sure if it will be enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Anyone have a new purgatory in 27.5? Looking for weight info

mtbr member
    Is the a “GRID trail” better than the GRID from last year. I had a Ground Control grid last year that lasted less than 50 miles. My Eliminator grid up front has been awesome. I wish they made GC Black diamond as I really like the Ground control for a rear. I have been running a Maxxis Aggressor lately and it’s been an awesome tire for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantic29 View Post
    Is the a “GRID trail” better than the GRID from last year.
    According to Specialized Grid Trail should be quite a bit stronger/tougher.
    https://www.specializedconceptstore....-tyre-casings/

I just picked up a new 2020 Purgatory Grid 2.6 rear and a fresh Eliminator Grid 2.6 front (not new "Grid Trial"/last years "Grid", they where on sale).

The new 2020 Purgatory "Grid" casing feels a bit stiffer/stronger than the old Eliminator "Grid" casing, less pliable and has a bit of a plasticy feel to it.

Have half dozen rides on the new Purgatory 2.6 and liking it so far. Compared to my last two rear tires Rekon 2.4/Aggressor 2.5 Dual Compounds.
    It rolls/pedals some where in between the two, rolls fairly fast and easy to pedal.
    Corners well with stiff supportive side knobs, feels more locked in than Aggressor in hard corners.
    Braking seem really good, as good Aggressor.
    Climbing traction not the greatest, felt it slip a little on loose steep climbs but its much better than the Rekon.
    It does run small like the Eliminator 2.6 (about same size), more like a 2.5.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    My 27.5 2.6 eliminator is 940. What really has me scratching my head is the 2.6 ground control at 915. That tire has much smaller knobs than the eliminator yet is only 25g less. Both are grid, not grid trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I almost wonder if they had some production mistakes during the changeover to the new compounds and casings. Anyone know who specialized uses to manufacture their tires?

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004
    Back to the Purgatories. I have had the opportunity ride the new Grids in 2 environments now: the leafy, rooty, sometimes shelf rocky singletrack of home (Kansas City; the dusty, river rocky, hardpack of San Diego. I enjoyed them in both locals. they climbed the edgy stuff of home and the sandy, loose roundrock of SoCal. The hardpack ruts? No problem, no slippage. Braking? They stopped for me and scrubbed speed just fine when I felt the need when the downhills got a little rocky or rutted. I think they are just a fine all around tire that won't please the weight weenies nor those that just need super sidewalls. They have picked up a couple of ounces over the previous iteration, but that only makes them a better tire. 2.6 on the front, 2.3 on the rear. the most impressive thing to me was the way they hung in there on all kinds of off camber stuff. My DHR's let me down a few times: not enough transition rubber for my riding style. I just put a new Ground Control Grid on my other bike, because I liked the way the Eliminator hooked up, but was a little too heavy, and the tread is a similar for both tires. My fear is it will be just a little too Eliminator lite in the tread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I picked up four of the older 27.5x3.0". Has anyone heard if they are still making this tire?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    I picked up four of the older 27.5x3.0". Has anyone heard if they are still making this tire?
    I cannot say for sure if they are still making that tire, but the Specialized dealer website shows 50+ in stock, which means that they could potentially have hundreds of them (the website only shows 50+ as the max, but there could be many more than that).

Regardless, it's an awesome tire, so I wouldn't regret buying that many.

mtbr member
    It's still winter where I live but I did get out with the Eliminator and 2020 Ground Control GRID rear combo.

Re: Ground Control 27.5x2.6: I rode in a loose-over-hard area with a little bit of sandstone and some sandy washes. Bike is a Canfield Balance (165mm). I was impressed by the rolling resistance, braking, and cornering. It's not a 10/10 in any one of those categories, but it's definitely a great all-arounder. Mine weighed in at 925g and the sidewall feels reasonably substantial.

I do wish (for security) that it was available in the GRID Trail casing. No issues with tubeless. I started mine at 28psi (rider: 185lbs geared up).