2013 Trek Fuel EX 8 drive- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2013 Trek Fuel EX 8 drive

I have a 2013 Fuel EX 8 with Shimano SLX shifter and Shimano Deore XT Shadow derailleur. It is not shifting as cleanly as I would like. I think it has gotten worse but I donít know if I am just noticing it because my other bike shifts better. That bike has the SRAM GX Eagle components. i recently had the bike serviced at Trek for around $340 and it still is not great.

I wondering what to do. Would new stock shifter and derailler fix it? Is it possible to run a SRAM GX Eagle on the the bike?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Also, it shifts ok but sometimes takes a couple rotations of the crank to find the gear. Maybe I would be better off selling the bike and buying a new one rather than sinking $500 into new components in a 2013 bike. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    How's the shifter cable? The cable&housing wears and should be replaced periodically after which the shifting should be optimized (straight hanger, lube the derailleur, chain length, limit screws, B-screw, cable tension. If all that's good and proper, is the chain and/or cassette worn?
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Rager (great name btw). I will have to check the cable when I get home but I think Trek's service department put a new one on. They replaced the chain and my cassette was replaced earlier this year. I am mechanically inclined on engines and so forth but I have never really tried working on bikes. I has a feeling that the derailleur itself might have worn out. Maybe that is not the case. I may try to make some minor adjustments but I don't think a major upgrade makes sense after thinking about it. The bike is good and rides fine other than the slower shift. I think I'll sell it and buy new if I really want an upgrade. I don't have a dropper post on it either. To add one and upgrade the drive, I would be putting close to $1,000 into the bike. At that point, I think I would be better off selling it and buying a new Fuel. Unfortunately, there seems to be a bike shortage right now.