2013 Avid XO caliper mounting configuration questions- Mtbr.com
    bikerpilot

2013 Avid XO caliper mounting configuration questions

Just picked up my BMC FS01 with X0 brakes and 180mm rotors. I wanted to switch to 160mm rotors to standardize across my bikes. I ordered the rotors and a couple of CPS mounting kits, knowing the bolts with the 180 adapters would be too long. I went to mount them up last night and thought they didn't quite look right. I checked on Avid's site and found their mounting guide:
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/aw...mounting_0.pdf

According to this, I think the X0 caliper should mount directly to the post mounts on the Fox fork and frame (without CPS washers), as shown in image G. This is based on the X0 caliper being a "standard" caliper, not a CPS caliper. Does anyone know if this is correct?

If this is correct, then that means with the stock 180 rotors the calipers should've been mounted as in image I with post spacers. Instead they came with a post bracket and one set of CPS washers on top as in image J. However, image J is only applicable with a combination of 140 post mount and a 170 rotor.

To make things even more confusing is that on the XO brake page, a 160 rotor is shown and the caliper has a post bracket with one set of CPS washers, as in image J. According to the mounting guide this is never a valid combination.

Any clarification on what mounting I should use to mount 2013 X0 calipers to an F29 with 160 posts and frame with 160 posts would be much appreciated. It could be that the mounting guide above is for 2012 and the 2013 calipers have changed, but I can't find a mounting guide dated 2013. Without that info I'm lost.

(please don't devolve this into "you should just get shimano or maguras") Thanks.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Plays with tools
    Your making this harder than t needs to be. Mount the caliper loosely on the fork and frame. If the wheel with 160 rotor wheel ft and not bottom out it's pretty safe to say you don't need the CPS hardware, which is awesome. If it does bottom out, you'll need the extra 5mm of the CPS stack. Only other thing to check is that you've got sufficient thread engagement on the bolts.

bikerpilot
    Yeah I plan on doing that tonight, just trying to figure out the real answer. If I don't need the 2nd CPS stack the bolts may be too long so I'd have to deal with that and would be nice to try to find some shorter bolts before getting home.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

bikerpilot
    It's a bit more confusing, but this actually answered my question: http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/GP..._spc_rev_a.pdf

It appears the X0 caliper is indeed a "standard" and doesn't require the full CPS hardware kit, just the CPS washers on top. So the bike came stock with 180 rotors and a 20mm bracket (which is shown in this list, but not the mounting guide I linked before) which was correct. The product page showing the 160mm rotor and a caliper with a mounting bracket on it is still confusing, I guess the only way you'd have that combo is if you used a 160 rotor on a 140 post mount.

Maybe this will help somebody down the line.

/thread
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

Members who have read this thread: 0