2.2 - 2.3 pavement and trail tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2.2 - 2.3 pavement and trail tire

Any recommendations for riding pavement to trail and then trail? I don't ride fast or technical so trail grip not too important. But I'd like a little tread (more than, e.g., a Big Apple). I am thinking along the lines of Ikon 2.35, Thunderburt 2.5, anything else? Thanks.

Ryan

WillWorkForTrail
    You might search for police bike tires. They have a mild center tread with a slightly more aggressive side tread and are designed to last on paved surfaces. Most MTB specific tires will wear very quickly on the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I ride Fast Trak 2.3 Control in back and Ground Control 2.3 Control up front. Great for commuting that is mixed pavement-trail. Rear tires will wear, but I can get 2-3K out of the back tire before I start worrying about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

2.2 - 2.3 pavement and trail tire

Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post
    I ride Fast Trak 2.3 Control in back and Ground Control 2.3 Control up front. Great for commuting that is mixed pavement-trail. Rear tires will wear, but I can get 2-3K out of the back tire before I start worrying about it.
    I agree. The Specialized Fast Trak 2.3 tires are fast on the road and last a long time.
    The Ikons are a good choice too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'd also look into the Specialized Renegade. I think it's on sale at the moment too. They're quick on pavement and surprisingly grippy on singletrack. I use a Renegade back/Fast Trak front combo on my MTB with good results, though a couple of Renegades would roll a bit faster (that's what I have on my gravel/greenway bike).

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    newer continental cross king with the black chili recipient have served me well

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    @Pisgah2000, how's the durability of the Renegade compared to the Fast Trak?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Miles View Post
    @Pisgah2000, how's the durability of the Renegade compared to the Fast Trak?
    I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two. They're not the burliest tires out there, but hold up well to most riding. I'd equate the control casing to a Maxxis EXO, at least when it comes to how many of each I've ruined. Sharp rocks and poor line choice doesn't agree with them though. I've sliced a couple of sidewalls that way. S-works do seem to be more comfy than the other versions, but you pay for it with slightly less substantial sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Without a car i pedal to trails. I love Rekons but also like post #6.