120mm Forks on 2012 Specialized Epic- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

120mm Forks on 2012 Specialized Epic

Hi everyone!

Until recently I was mostly riding terrain with mostly downhill. I have been interested in doing more climbing and a friend sold me a 2012 Specialized Epic for a very good price. So far I have enjoyed everything about it but have been considering replacing the forks to make the bike a little more versatile. I do have a freeride bike for the more intense riding but it would be nice to have a little more travel on the Epic.

I have never really dealt with replacing major components before until now. I have always been content with stock parts. I have done a little research and it does seem like a doable upgrade despite the XC nature of the bike.

My question is what specific specs should I be looking out for when purchasing a new set of forks? Or will any 29, 120mm tapered for do?

Thank you for any advice!

-Kerr

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Are you looking for less flex than a 32mm fork too? You basically have two options with tons of decisions to make about the actual fork after you decide. Stick to a 32mm stanchion fork at 120 mm, or go to a burlier fork like the Fox 34 or RS Pike. With your free-ride background, you might want to think about the latter.

Once that decision is made, you're basically down to budget... the more money you spend, the better damping and more adjustment you'll have.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    What is a "set of forks"?

My advice is to not put any money at all into a 2012 bike. The geometry changes since then are so remarkable that there is more difference between a 2012 and 2019 bike than there would be between a 1985 bike and a 2012 one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    Are you looking for less flex than a 32mm fork too? You basically have two options with tons of decisions to make about the actual fork after you decide. Stick to a 32mm stanchion fork at 120 mm, or go to a burlier fork like the Fox 34 or RS Pike. With your free-ride background, you might want to think about the latter.

Once that decision is made, you're basically down to budget... the more money you spend, the better damping and more adjustment you'll have.
    Thank you very much!
    That really helps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I put a Fox Stepcast 34 120mm fork w/ 44mm offset on my 2015 Scott Spark to slacken out the front end and love it. It made the transition between my trail bike and the Spark much easier as I ride both regularly.

mtbr member
    What model fork do you have now? You might be able to get a 120mm air shaft to increase the travel. If you have a 100mm Fox...I'm pretty sure it won't work. Rockshox...there is a good chance you can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    What model fork do you have now? You might be able to get a 120mm air shaft to increase the travel. If you have a 100mm Fox...I'm pretty sure it won't work. Rockshox...there is a good chance you can.
    I am fairly certain they are the stock forks. RockShox Reba RL 29

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadams View Post
    I am fairly certain they are the stock forks. RockShox Reba RL 29
    Fork, not forks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    What is a "set of forks"?

My advice is to not put any money at all into a 2012 bike. The geometry changes since then are so remarkable that there is more difference between a 2012 and 2019 bike than there would be between a 1985 bike and a 2012 one.
    A set of 120mm forks:

120mm Forks on 2012 Specialized Epic-image.jpg

Not to harp too bad on the guy, but I did legitimately have a set of shivers and monster Ts at one time. If at the dinner table, I ask for a fork.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

There's always next year.
    When I had a '13 Epic, one of the best things I did to that bike was throw on a 120mm Pike. If you're a bigger person (with your freeriding background, too, this makes sense, I would want a fork with at 34mm stantions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadams View Post
    Hi everyone! With that said, I'd echo another one of the posters that dropping a ton of cash on a '12 bike may not make a ton of sense. I'd look around various classifieds and/or ebay for a 120mm Fox 34 or Rock Shox Pike if I was you.

Until recently I was mostly riding terrain with mostly downhill. I have been interested in doing more climbing and a friend sold me a 2012 Specialized Epic for a very good price. So far I have enjoyed everything about it but have been considering replacing the forks to make the bike a little more versatile. I do have a freeride bike for the more intense riding but it would be nice to have a little more travel on the Epic.

I have never really dealt with replacing major components before until now. I have always been content with stock parts. I have done a little research and it does seem like a doable upgrade despite the XC nature of the bike.

My question is what specific specs should I be looking out for when purchasing a new set of forks? Or will any 29, 120mm tapered for do?

Thank you for any advice!

-Kerr