ZIPP 505 Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

ZIPP 505 Question

I am thinking abouts some 505 rims but I will be using them with disks.

Being a total tart I am concerned about the silver rims. Is the rim removable so they can be anodised black.

P::..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfire
    I am thinking abouts some 505 rims but I will be using them with disks.

Being a total tart I am concerned about the silver rims. Is the rim removable so they can be anodised black.

Nope. My 505 rim is permanently bonded to the carbon fiber. Magic Marker maybe?

jl
    climb
    How about some spraypaint... If your running disc..
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

No Reputation!

How are these things anyway?

I read that the 505's weigh 606 grams-is that right because it seems pretty stout. And how do those fancy zipp rims ride anyway? Are they better in action or just really cool eye candy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Search for posts by Mikesee - He has testified about how good these rims are. His opinion has been formed over thousands and thousands of miles. I love my set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

505's

I built up a set and ran them for a few months. I found no advantages over much lighter wheelsets, so I sold them. Maybe if you are BIG and you have a problem with flexiness in your wheels you would like them. Then there's always the paranoia of smacking them into a rock and ba-bye carbon fiber...

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    How about some spraypaint... If your running disc..
    I'm assuming the part your wanting to paint is aluminum. It would need to be anodized or have a vinyl wash primer or zinc cromate primer applied before painting to have proper adhesion. Aluminum being a non-ferrous metal doesn't accept paint very well without being treated somehow.

cruz

No Reputation!

Which model do you have?

Which model do you have? How many spokes? And is the msrp posted for zipp rims anywhere? I know they're pricey but they sure are good lookin'!

Just Ride!
    I can see how the 505 would be extremely strong, since it is much like taking a standard rim and adding even more strength with the carbon ring, but isn't it overkill for all but the most extreme riders? I think it is a great design, but it seems as though the 370 model which is 40mm deep versus 58mm, would afford the strength aspect and drop some 130g off of the 505. I also don't get the dimpling of the 415/505 thing on an XC bike, maybe I don't ride fast enough! Help me understand.

mtbr member
    Let me explain myself.

My new project is an abandonment of many things I have sworn by for years.

For a start the new bike is Aluminium, will run suspension forks (SC32) and will have gears. The brakes will be from a company called Sh-im-ano that I have heard has become very popular.

My current 29er is a fully rigid singlespeed steel bike with a very very light wheelset (Paul Hubs, CX-Ray Spokes, Salsa Rims) that I have never knocked out of true or felt flex but I am a big guy and my riding style is changing. 29" has pushed me faster on the technical stuff than I have gone before and want a strong stiff wheelset that is still quite light that I know 100% is not going to give up on me in the middle of a 24hr or 100km race.

I am going to build them up 28 spoke with Chris King ISO disk hubs (front for 24mm axle) and the new DT aerolite spokes.

Recovering couch patato
    Wouldn't a simple 500g/550g Alu rim with 36h Revolutions be a fraction of the price for very similar stiffness, and lighter too? Or even 36 Aerolites. More and more I'm starting to realize that spokecount is what makes wheels strong, better 4 or 8 extra spokes pre wheel that are lighter, than a heavier rim with less spokes.
    Nothing will beat the looks of a Zipp, though. I've got a pair of Tune/CX-Ray/360's , for my CX rig. Con : no brakes : Pro : light, stiff, flashy, cuts through deep mud. Barely justifies the cost really, with wheels that are 1/4 of the price, I'd have had actually functioning brakes on alu rims, and 3/4 left to spend on carbon parts to drop the weight further. I'm going to try the wide Stan's rims for CX now.
    Zipp will make me reconsider my opinion when they launch a wider rim. Zipps now are made for aerodynamics which are useless in the dirt, and a disaster with sidewinds. They sacrifice stiffness by keep the rims narrow. Look at Stan, his rims are way light (393g), but surprisingly stiff, thanks partly to the width I'm sure.
    A 15mm wide rim with "X" stiffness would have to weigh more than a 20mm, so a 25mm Zipp could be made stronger or even lighter without loss of performanc for the MTB'er. And you'd get the added tire stabilty you'll enjoy with that agressive new riding style. Oh my, 25mm wide Zipps, wouldn't that be da bomb?
    36h Salsa rims laced 4x should ad some 10% stiffness over your present Paul hubs.
    For the cost of Zipps, you could probably persuade Stan and King (or other Hub guy) to do 40h sets for you that would be freakin light yet really stiff. Less of a disaster when you mess up and break something. But again, not as nice looking as the Zipps...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering Weight Weenie
    What about some 36 hole Rhynolites laced with 14 gauge double-butted spokes?
    Would that save some weight?

Bored

What about Mavic CPX 30's?

Some shops still have a few of these around. They're a very stiff rim, and could be built up with 32 spokes very easily. Only problem is they are a bit narrow.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.