zip tie snow tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

zip tie snow tires

apologies if this has already been posted, but i thought this was kinda clever.

Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider
    apologies if this has already been posted, but i thought this was kinda clever.

Does it work?

mtbr member
    I'm curious too. It looks like it might help with traction on snow, but my guess is it wouldn't help on ice.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This works on well on hardpack and wheel tracks.
    Doesn't play nice with V/canti brakes or tight fork/stay clearance.
    Fixie or disc no problems.
    It's been fun riding around Brooklyn the last couple of days

bi-winning
    That would make changing a flat more of a hasstle.

Most bikes that run disc brakes have room for a treded/knobby tire.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Former Bike Wrench
    I posted this last week in the Wheel and Tire Forum, the blog says it worked quite well in the heavy wet snow of Seattle. Notice the offset heads for cornering traction. Obviously it wont work with rim brakes and changing a tire would be a PIA...but for a temporary solution in areas that only snow a few days a year, it's a cheap and dirty solution and way cheaper than tires or chains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    That would make changing a flat more of a hasstle.

you don't say?

Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    A nice idea but not good if they start snapping off and littering the countryside

My spelling is atroshus
    A few tie wraps will not tear up the earth.

mtbr member
    I know, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. I was in my LBS when the owner and I were chatting about this method and whether it was worth giving it a go, when this tree hugger butted in and said that about littering the countryside.

I think the only time they would risk snapping off is if you hit a part of trail that had no snow.

Apr 2007
    Man, call me lazy, but I'd rather spend a little extra dough on a cheapo wheelset and $100 on studded tires than go through that hassle. If I didn't have the money to do that, then I wouldn't ride.

But my winter is spent mostly at ski resorts, so I guess I wouldn't spend the money either way.

Unicorn Disabilities Act
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I posted this last week in the Wheel and Tire Forum, the blog says it worked quite well in the heavy wet snow of Seattle.
    As in, works well on 700c skinny tires, commuting on the flat streets of ballard?

FWIW, regular old mountain bike tires work fine here too.....

Quote Originally Posted by Courage the comic insult dog
    Still I would hump you, if I could wear my flea collar
    Free Beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    we used chains similar to these http://wvcycling.wordpress.com/2010/...re-chain-bike/ last year. but i bought studds this year! the chains worked but not super great.
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

Trail Junkie
    I don't see how that would work better than an aggressive MTB tire. I also completely agree with the littering thing. It may not concern you, but the only thing you are suppose to leave in the trails is tracks!

I see it the same way with 700c's...why not just get a narrow CX tire for that purpose. I think the idea has some merit..but completely falls short of being viable. Any maintenance to your tire or changing a tube, and just created unnecessary waste. If they break off, they are left on the trail...highly doubt you'd stop and pick them up. Most bike shops have used mountain bike tires...probably only cost slightly more than all the money spent on zip-ties...
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by RBowles
    A few tie wraps will not tear up the earth.

Neither will a few gu packets, or a few beer bottles, or a few soda cans, or a few cig butts, or a few car tires, or a few refrigerators..... Until they're all tallied up together. I really don't see this as being anything more than a black eye for mtbers/commuters.

To the person above who couldn't see how they would break except for direct impact, uv exposure and cold temps can cause some zip ties to become brittle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Y'all are over thinking this. This is a hack for people like me who ride in cities that don't get a lot of snow. The zip ties stay on the tires maybe 24 hours. It's for the morning after a storm before the streets get plowed. They work great in the slick, frozen over wheel tracks that get left behind cars driving over 3 or 4 inches of snow. They suck on pavement.
    Also, all the zip ties are still plenty long enough to secure cables after they've been cut from the wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    They wear off quite fast. It's just silly and wasteful. Buy a bike suited for the purpose. This only exists for people too poor to buy another bike because they spent too much on pimpin' their fixie.

I just save money and pimp my fixie and have a winter bike, well, four winter bikes, but whatever.

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruffalo
    I know, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. I was in my LBS when the owner and I were chatting about this method and whether it was worth giving it a go, when this tree hugger butted in and said that about littering the countryside.

I think the only time they would risk snapping off is if you hit a part of trail that had no snow.

Pay no attention to me, I was mainly amusing myself aloud. I meant no malice with my post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Using 64 or so zip ties for one morning commute in the snow is pretty silly. Not only is it a pain in the azz to deal with, it's wasteful, it's inconsiderate and it's completely unsafe. You can get Cyclocross tires - new - for like $40 bucks a set. Not only will you have tires that are actually functional, they'll last for more than one ride. If you're even considering this bullshittery, you should suck it up and make the investment to help protect yourself as well as the poor bastards that you're inevtiably going to crash into. Either that or take public transportation. Do NOT rely on freakin' zip ties to provide "traction" in the snow.

This is one of the dumbest ideas I've read on here in a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellav8ted
    Also, all the zip ties are still plenty long enough to secure cables after they've been cut from the wheel.
    Awesome... I need to run some new cables on one of my bikes. I'll be sure to stalk your commuting route so that I can collect the trash you left behind in the streets.

Members who have read this thread: 0