Thread: ZION 29 "

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Zion 29 "

New Zion 29er

Filed under: 29er — by Tim Grahl @ 10:24 pm

Quote from http://twentynineinches.com/
    Zion Bicycles, the JensonUSA exclusive brand, will be coming out with the 737 29er. The 4130 double-butted chromoly frames will probably be available in two options. The singlespeed only with eccentric bottom bracket(EBB) and vertical dropouts version (no derailleur hanger, cable stops only for disc brakes) and it will probably also be available in a non-EBB geared version, also disc brake only, but with the full complement of cable stops for shifter cables. Colors are still to be determined, however white and black are looking like the choices. End quote.

Just curious why no Reynolds 853 was used, like the ZION 26 er. That would have made a good very deal if same price as 26er.
    Last edited by mvi; 02-10-2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: credits

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Just curious why no Reynolds 853 was used, like the ZION 26 er. That would have made a good very deal if same price as 26er.
    Out of curiosity, does 853 ride much better than 4130, or is it for weight savings?

mtbr member
    I'm sure someone far more knowledgable than me will chime in, but I thought on top of strength properties, 853 has no rust issues?

College
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    I'm sure someone far more knowledgable than me will chime in, but I thought on top of strength properties, 853 has no rust issues?
    The only steel that i know that doesn't rust is stainless steal, hence the name. 853 has weird welding properties. When you weld the frame( go through heat cycle) The metal actually becomes stronger instead of weaker.
    College boy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burner
    That would be the brand new 953.

I'm glad to see Jenson offering a 29"er from the perspective that they will also now likely carry more 29" forks, rims, tires, etc. Although some might not welcome this development, overall it's probably a good thing to have one of the most prominent mail order houses on board.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Members who have read this thread: 0