Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YT Jeffsy 29er

mtbr member

YT Jeffsy 29er

Looks like YT is coming out with a 29er. No details as of now but if you read between the lines, or just read the lines it looks like its going to be a capable 29er trail bike. I doubt its a short travel 29er due to the references of "going downhill" "smashing obstacles" "risk awareness removed" but also "going far out". So maybe a mid to long travel me thinks. Either something between an Evil Following and Wreckoning or probably a direct comparison to the wreckoning. Details drop April 7th. For now here are a few prototype photos and the YT vid.

Tire clearance around the CS looks tight.
    I know its only a proto-sketch but thats not a piggy back big hit shock. Maybe they did that to throw us off. OR, thats what it really is. ?????
    Last edited by fc; 04-07-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Chris Bling
    Ooohhh. I do like what I see
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Ooohhh. I do like what I see
    Yup, She's pretty hot. But I don't like that "I'm more important than his bike" attitude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Looks like another promising 29er trail bike. So when's the big magazine comparison of all these new fancy wagon wheel trail bikes?
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Cactus Cuddler
    If I were to over-infer based on that drawing, it would appear to be a 5" travel 29er (130-140mm fork). Looks pretty slack overall, and I'm absolutely interested since that's the flavor of bike I really enjoy riding.
    Also, hopefully this may be a model YT decides is worth making the XL version in carbon fiber - because larger riders will really be able to make it work.

My indirect concern when I first thought of a YT 29er was that it would be too much bike (ala Evil Wreckoning), where the sort of terrain required to actually use a majority of what the bike has to offer is hard to find and best enjoyed lift-served... but it looks like it's a bit more of a trail-all mountain bike, which I'm excited enough about to wait until Sea Otter.

If the Jeffsy and possible Yeti 5.5c are both plausible things for this year, all I can say with certainty would be that I'll be rough on my wallet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    If I were to over-infer based on that drawing, it would appear to be a 5" travel 29er (130-140mm fork). Looks pretty slack overall, and I'm absolutely interested since that's the flavor of bike I really enjoy riding.
    Also, hopefully this may be a model YT decides is worth making the XL version in carbon fiber - because larger riders will really be able to make it work.

My indirect concern when I first thought of a YT 29er was that it would be too much bike (ala Evil Wreckoning), where the sort of terrain required to actually use a majority of what the bike has to offer is hard to find and best enjoyed lift-served... but it looks like it's a bit more of a trail-all mountain bike, which I'm excited enough about to wait until Sea Otter.

If the Jeffsy and possible Yeti 5.5c are both plausible things for this year, all I can say with certainty would be that I'll be rough on my wallet.
    Don't rely too much on that sketch. If you look again they have pivots on the top tube but none on the actual proto frames. So it looks to me that they will be using the same V4L link like on the Capra and Tues. (Tues is their DH bike). Nothing wrong with that as I am quite happy with that link on my Capra, actually it's one of the best I've ever had. I've loved how they felt ever since the first time I rode a Tues in 2009. Also their pre Capra enduro bike was the Wicked and that was also a sweet ride. They make good bikes and that's a fact. But yeah, looking at the sketch sort of tells you what personality it may have and I think it will be more trail than DH focused, that said, I have a strong feeling it will still be able to rip the DH. Something between the following and the wrekoning is a good place to be. Regarding your wallet, YT will be MUCH easier than a Yeti, but then again they just signed Gwin, oh the irony. LOL

Trail Ninja
    Considering the pivot hardpoint locations, it looks like its layout will be similar to an Enduro 29 without the X bracing.

Note the PF92 too... also, the bend/offset in the seat tube is pretty huge.

Looks to be an upcoming rival to the Canyon Spectral, Trek Remedy, Spec Stumpy FSR, and SC Hightower.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

Cactus Cuddler
    Swissam and Varaxis - I'm happy there is a place on the internet where other people say what I'm thinking. Fortunately for MTBR's bottom line, some of the banner ads enable (and/or encourage) me to act on silly/awesome conclusions based on those thoughts.
    The spec/value on the YT line as a whole is why I'm interested in the first place (especially the SRAM-spam builds - I'd probably be in for the PikeRCT3/MonarchDBA-RT3/X1/GuideRS tier build, just putting some fat-kid proofed wheel builds and Maxxis rubber).

If this is in fact a bike that fits nicely between the Following and Wreckoning, and is the slackest bike in the playspace (market, travel, performance) shared with the Spectral/Remedy/Hightower for 5.5" travel awesome machines, I probably won't care about what Yeti rolls out unless I can score a deal on a used one.
    The other part of that equation is that being into XL/XXL sized bikes, I'm probably stuck on the mail order steed plan anyway, so the YT/Canyon/Nukeproof options are just flat out more cost-effective for what I'm trying to do. So, if a 5.5" travel YT 29er shows up and does what I imagine it can; I've probably already sold myself on that bike.

[ETA] Honestly, if any of them can do full-custom mail order (FanatikBike currently are the class of the market on this one, but they don't seem to move massive volume with it) where each spec option can be revised (or at least some sub-packages mixed and matched), they'll be a hit. For my part, I'm happy with PikeRC as the fork, wouldn't mind an XT drivetrain and brakes, but still prefer the RS/SRAM suspension components, and to be able to spec 32-spoke wheels front and back, and just not sending me parts I have to resell, donate to riding buddies, put on cheaper bikes, or just let collect dust means I'd save money even on a higher price out the door for the bike.

mtbr member
    Swissam and Varaxis - I'm happy there is a place on the internet where other people say what I'm thinking. Fortunately for MTBR's bottom line, some of the banner ads enable (and/or encourage) me to act on silly/awesome conclusions based on those thoughts.
    The spec/value on the YT line as a whole is why I'm interested in the first place (especially the SRAM-spam builds - I'd probably be in for the PikeRCT3/MonarchDBA-RT3/X1/GuideRS tier build, just putting some fat-kid proofed wheel builds and Maxxis rubber).

If this is in fact a bike that fits nicely between the Following and Wreckoning, and is the slackest bike in the playspace (market, travel, performance) shared with the Spectral/Remedy/Hightower for 5.5" travel awesome machines, I probably won't care about what Yeti rolls out unless I can score a deal on a used one.
    The other part of that equation is that being into XL/XXL sized bikes, I'm probably stuck on the mail order steed plan anyway, so the YT/Canyon/Nukeproof options are just flat out more cost-effective for what I'm trying to do. So, if a 5.5" travel YT 29er shows up and does what I imagine it can; I've probably already sold myself on that bike.

[ETA] Honestly, if any of them can do full-custom mail order (FanatikBike currently are the class of the market on this one, but they don't seem to move massive volume with it) where each spec option can be revised (or at least some sub-packages mixed and matched), they'll be a hit. For my part, I'm happy with PikeRC as the fork, wouldn't mind an XT drivetrain and brakes, but still prefer the RS/SRAM suspension components, and to be able to spec 32-spoke wheels front and back, and just not sending me parts I have to resell, donate to riding buddies, put on cheaper bikes, or just let collect dust means I'd save money even on a higher price out the door for the bike.

I'm going to stop speculating what it might be, even though speculating is fun. Been burnt already by YT. When we were speculating what the Capra might be we all thought it would be an AM/trail bike because they already had the Wicked (160mm 26") and the Norton (single crown 180mm Freeride bike like the SX Trail, Faith, Driver 8, remember those bikes? Yeah buddy!) and of course the Tues. Why would they make ANOTHER bike in that range? Plus the Capra is Latin for goat so it has to climb. It HAS to be an AM/trail bike....WRONG! They bred the Norton and Wicked to come up with the Capra then killed the parents. But the Capra is a goat and still impresses me on how well it climbs. So they didn't lie at all. Now regarding the build specs, who knows? They dropped BOS (and all of their problems) in favor of Fox since they signed Gwin, so I have a feelng his other sponsors will creep into the build specs as well. The only thing I do know is it will be damn near impossible to find that kind of quality for the price even if you have to add your own wheels. Just sell the stock wheels or keep them as a spare set for lighter duty trails with less meaty tires. These pick your own parts suppliers cannot match the price of bulk ordered build specs so that's why YT won't do that. I remember 10 years ago people would order a Canyon just for the parts alone and fit them to a more expensive frame, no shit it was actually cheaper to do this. The local classifieds had dozens of brand new canyon frames for 50 bucks. Times have changed and these mail order bike companies are designing bikes that rival every major brand out there today. The thing that made YT better than Canyon is YT is not conservative at all with its specs or leverage ratios. They try to make bikes for rippers, not the masses. So far it's working.
    Only two more weeks........"The time will tell...."

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Totally agree, Swissam.

It could be a lot of things, from a 29er trail bike to a 27.5+ bike – and yes, it could even be a slope style bike, though I doubt it.

When Capra was announced, I thought it would be a Spectral contender in the 140-150mm travel range. Perhaps Jeffsy is that bike.

More speculation: Who is Jeffsy? Unriddling YT's Latest Marketing Stunt - WheelSizeAgnostic

mtbr member
    Anxiously awaiting the Jeffsy as well. It's really the only reason I haven't ordered a Hightower yet. If it's a mid-travel 29er, in XL with similar built kits to the Capra they can take my money now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Twelve hours to go.

I've been waiting all month to see what this is going to look like. I took a capra on a brief demo (bad weather) a month ago -- great bike -- but an XC oriented bike fits my riding style a lot better and I was told they were coming out with a new bike that might be more suited for me around Sea Otter time. Found the teaser for this a week ago or so and have been patiently waiting for more info before I decide what I'm going to buy.

I'm relatively new (just got into mountain biking last summer). Logic and reason say I should probably continue working on improving my skills with the 2012 Superlight that I have but I can afford something new and YT's US distributor is local for me. My friend who got me into biking is a big fan of their products and team.

Kind of worried that 29er might be too big for me though as I am 5'9 and I thought that they were oriented for larger riders.

mtbr member
    Dear Mother of God Jeffsy is one sexy trail bike.

YT Jeffsy 29er-jeffsy_contest_bike.jpg

YT Jeffsy 29er-deatil_jeffsy_cf_pro_02.jpg

mtbr member
    XL available as well as other colors. 140mm out back. It seems to have adjustable geo.
    Sorry geo chart in German.
    ...... S M L XL
    A Oberrohr (horizontal) top tube 571 mm 592 mm 616 mm 637 mm
    B Reach 405 mm 425 mm 445 mm 465 mm
    C Stack 605 mm 610 mm 623 mm 628 mm
    D Sitzrohr (Seat stay)400 mm 440 mm 480 mm 520 mm
    E Kettenstrebe (chain stay)435 mm 435 mm 440 mm 440 mm
    F Lenkwinkel low/high (HTA) 66,9 / 67,6 ° 66,9 / 67,6 ° 66,9 / 67,6 ° 66,9 / 67,6 °
    G Sitzwinkel (eff.) low/high (seat angle) 74,7 / 75,3 ° 74,7 / 75,3 ° 74,7 / 75,3 ° 74,7 / 75,3 °
    H BB Drop low/high 32/24 mm 32/24 mm 32/24 mm 32/24 mm
    I Radstand (wheelbase) 1132 mm 1154 mm 1178 mm 1205 mm
    J Steuerrohr 90 mm 95 mm 110 mm 115 mm
    K Gabeleinbaulänge 551 mm 551 mm 551 mm 551 mm
    L Gabeloffset (Fork offset) 46 mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looks fun, no bottle cage mount though. Lets see what the 2017 Enduro 29er looks like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

mtbr member
    Pretty sweet video, doesn't hurt to have some of the best riders showcase your product.
    I like the color scheme on these two
    YT Jeffsy 29er-image.jpg
    YT Jeffsy 29er-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    Looks fun, no bottle cage mount though. Lets see what the 2017 Enduro 29er looks like.
    It has a bottle mount, one of the promo photos even points out the Thirst Master 3000 integrated hydration system, alias a YT branded bottle and cage.

Looks like YT have produced another very pretty bike , it comes in XL too, that's tempting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    It has a bottle mount, one of the promo photos even points out the Thirst Master 3000 integrated hydration system, alias a YT branded bottle and cage.

Looks like YT have produced another very pretty bike , it comes in XL too, that's tempting.
    It comes in a size small as well. I applaud manufactures who produces a variety of sizes for individuals of all heights and body shapes. YT will be a serious contender for my next bike.

In the mean time I want that Thirst Master 3000! I have a bottle mount but I cant fit a very tall bottle in my frame.

Cassoulet forever !
    does it use boost ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    First ride report: YT Jeffsy - First Ride - Pinkbike

Yep it's boost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Since you are local to YT - i suspect you will be able to go over and throw a leg over/demo once they come available. Don't let the old school thought of wheel size and who can ride them steer you in any way. Im barely 5' 6" and started riding 29 when geo was crap and standover nearly required a step stool. Never found any issues and in fact it was the old school 29ers that actually made me love riding even more than i was previously. This looks like a crazy fun bike... definitely keep it on your radar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post

Since I just got the Capra almost a year ago getting this one past the wife will require level Einstein. But I want one. How to convince her I NEED one will be tricky.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big AC View Post
    First ride report: YT Jeffsy - First Ride - Pinkbike

Yep it's boost.
    I like the Monarch/Lyrik upgrade suggestion the most. Lol
    Sounds like a fun big wheeled ripper/racer.

Trail Ninja
    Interesting how they don't use the DebonAir can, but went EVOL with the Fox. The non-EVOL Fox seemingly had significantly less neg air volume than the regular Monarch. Is the negative air volume tunable on the Fox EVOL, using volume reducing bands maybe?

Also interesting how much it mimics the E29, without that X-brace and shock extension and minus ~20mm of travel. Very close geo-wise, with shorter stack attributed to lower travel up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Interesting how they don't use the DebonAir can, but went EVOL with the Fox. The non-EVOL Fox seemingly had significantly less neg air volume than the regular Monarch. Is the negative air volume tunable on the Fox EVOL, using volume reducing bands maybe?

Also interesting how much it mimics the E29, without that X-brace and shock extension and minus ~20mm of travel. Very close geo-wise, with shorter stack attributed to lower travel up front.

I think they wanted to fully distinguish this as a trail bike separate from the Enduro Capra. This IS a TRAIL bike I can hear YT screaming at us. That said even the review says a bigger suspension brings this bike into EWS bike range. I would wait for a YT limited edition. They are known for offering bikes with a different set up than the norm. They used to offer a WC Tues every other year which was a decked out WC ready race bike at an insane price. I expect then to offer a Gwinned out Tues eventually and I doubt it will take long before the Jeffsy gets a more burly build. YT can adapt rather quick which is what I like about them.

VS E29 or Stumpy I have a feeling the suspension on the Jeffsy will be more progressive and poppy. (I have no real idea yet) The video shows its not out of the realm of freeriding.

Cassoulet forever !
    This is good times for the big trail 29".
    With the hightower and jeffsy, 2 new carbon very nice bikes !

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    ETA: They really do provide a lot more bang for your buck than the "major" manufacturers do. I'm stoked to be getting a Jeffsy!
    Last edited by sjmilin; 04-14-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    I think they wanted to fully distinguish this as a trail bike separate from the Enduro Capra. This IS a TRAIL bike I can hear YT screaming at us. That said even the review says a bigger suspension brings this bike into EWS bike range. I would wait for a YT limited edition. They are known for offering bikes with a different set up than the norm. They used to offer a WC Tues every other year which was a decked out WC ready race bike at an insane price. I expect then to offer a Gwinned out Tues eventually and I doubt it will take long before the Jeffsy gets a more burly build. YT can adapt rather quick which is what I like about them.

VS E29 or Stumpy I have a feeling the suspension on the Jeffsy will be more progressive and poppy. (I have no real idea yet) The video shows its not out of the realm of freeriding.
    Yes, with a typical YT extra progressive curve, the DebonAir and EVOL would be far too hard to bottom out. They went high volume (positive air), to make it easier to use full travel on all but the top models. I guess they're expecting that those that go for the top of the range models with EVOL, will be hucking some things and hitting large jumps...

Cactus Cuddler
    Well crap... looks like it's exactly what I was hoping it would be (give or take 10mm of reach and 0.4° of head tube angle).

For the price and all the equipment on it, hard to look elsewhere for what I'm after. I already have a 150mm fork, which means I can have the geometry exactly where I want it in short order.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. I haven't paid close attention to YT over the years. How is YT's quality compared to some of the big players?
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Nice looking bike. I haven't paid close attention to YT over the years. How is YT's quality compared to some of the big players?
    About the same (better/worse based on leverage ratio perspective) A few bad off frames every now and then but so does Spesh, Santa Cruz, etc. Good warranty so your covered. U.S customer service is top notch from what I hear but it sucks in Germany. Before they expanded to the N.A market they had some of the best CS in Europe. I hope they return to that standing. My carbon Capra is going on its second season here in the Alps which includes tons of uplifting to savage trails. Many of my friends have had a YT or two over the years and none have complained. They only complain about how much you spent on your bike. "You paid how much for that and it only has SLX??" Pffft.

Why have the Proto photos been removed from the first post? That's kinda lame. It's nice to see proto to production.

mtbr member
    Really like the look of this bike and geo/specs are what I'm looking for..... But the XL in the colors/build that I want are showing "sold out" and the one that I can pre-order won't be available until August. Don't know if I can hold out that long.

mtbr member
    How stiff are their carbon layups/linkages compared to, say, Santa Cruz?

A Clyde wants to know.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    but its not metric
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    And inevitable question, as expected - how does the sizing go?

I'm exactly on the fence with 177cm, but I have longer torso, and shorter legs (78cm inseam), which one should I get - L or M?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Will 27.5+ tyres fit I wonder....

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Will 27.5+ tyres fit I wonder....
    They specifically said the 27.5 plus tires would not fit. Deal breaker for me

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    They specifically said the 27.5 plus tires would not fit. Deal breaker for me

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
    Yep. In the day of constantly changing standards and wheel sizes, trail/enduro frames should start accommodating more than one whee/tire size. Isn't Boost spacing designed for wider rims and tires?

And am I the only who thinks this is awful similar to a Specialized Enduro 29er?

YT Jeffsy 29er-specialized-carbon-enduro-expert.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Dang. That blows. Boost spacing for nothing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That's not exactly a bad thing. That's like saying your girlfriend looks like Mila Kunis. I don't like Spesh but the enduro 29er is/was ahead of its time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cool, another not-quite-enough-travel-for-AM 29er...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Trail Ninja
    Overlay with 2 of the above pics:

YT Jeffsy 29er-e29vjeffsy2.jpg

Just lowered due to less travel really. Guess this is what people wanted when they thought the E29 was too tall. Complete build weights are over a pound lighter (26.2 lbs for the $6k model, 28.2/4.6k, 29.3/4.4k, 31.3/3.3k, 31.5/2.7k). Roughly 30% off similar spec'd models from other brands.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 04-09-2016 at 03:51 PM.

I'm with stupid
    You should overlay a canfield riot on there just to look at the chainstays with the slack front end.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Cool, another not-quite-enough-travel-for-AM 29er...
    how much more travel do you want on a 29er?
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    how much more travel do you want on a 29er?
    10-20mm
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    About the same (better/worse based on leverage ratio perspective) A few bad off frames every now and then but so does Spesh, Santa Cruz, etc. Good warranty so your covered. U.S customer service is top notch from what I hear but it sucks in Germany. Before they expanded to the N.A market they had some of the best CS in Europe. I hope they return to that standing. My carbon Capra is going on its second season here in the Alps which includes tons of uplifting to savage trails. Many of my friends have had a YT or two over the years and none have complained. They only complain about how much you spent on your bike. "You paid how much for that and it only has SLX??" Pffft.

Why have the Proto photos been removed from the first post? That's kinda lame. It's nice to see proto to production.
    Thanks for the info.

I assume these are not available as a frame only option?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Dang. That blows. Boost spacing for nothing.
    Sure does. Same thing with the Yeti SB4.5.
    Maybe the rumored 5.5 will show more effort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    And am I the only who thinks this is awful similar to a Specialized Enduro 29er?
    It's actually almost a dead ringer for a Stumpjumper from 2011-2012. Just a bit different shock mount/linkage.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm new to YT, do they not offer frame only? I didn't see and option anywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    10-20mm
    So you want a Nukeproof Mega 29er or a Evil Wreckoning then?

Fair enough, this looks more aimed at the general trail riding crowd who'd buy a Stumpy over an Enduro.

Cactus Cuddler
    I've been keeping a running crib sheet of long travel 29ers with at least acceptable reach for 6'2" or taller riders, and tracking the geometry with it

In the six inch travel realm, it's really just the Enduro29 (basically same reach as the Jeffsy), Evil Wreckoning (471mm reach), BMC Trailfox (460mm - really too short TBH), Nukeproof Mega 290 (480mm), or taking a SantaCruz Hightower and swapping a 200x57mm shock onto it bringing the travel to a round 153mm (475mm reach).

5.5" of dialed travel on a sorted bike has the ability to monster truck over an astonishing amount of stuff... I wouldn't describe 140mm as inadequate for 98% of riders interested in a beefy bomber of a bike that pedals... even at that I'd hold out for the 160 Lyrik/Fox36 forked variant

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can anyone explain to me why this bike that uses boost is not compatible with 27.5+ wheels? Am I incorrect to assume that since this is a 29er with boost that there shouldn't be any clearance issues with 27.5+ wheels? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why this bike that uses boost is not compatible with 27.5+ wheels?
    I would assume it has to do with tight packaging around the seat stay yoke, main chain stay pivot and heel clearance. The stays have quite a sharp curve on them around the tyres for heel clearance, making the tyre smaller and wider might interfere with that.

Or it might be they think 27.5+ is dumb, they won't elaborate.

mtbr member
    Can anyone explain to me why this bike that uses boost is not compatible with 27.5+ wheels? Am I incorrect to assume that since this is a 29er with boost that there shouldn't be any clearance issues with 27.5+ wheels? Thanks.
    There is an interview on Vitalmtb with a couple YT guys. The 27.5 question is asked. They basically say that they aren't all that impressed with the current tires.

Cactus Cuddler
    Considering that the timing of that presser on Madiera was probably quite early this year, at that point in time the only 27+ tires that were totally out of embargo were ones like the WTB Trailblazer, Specialized Purgatory/GC, and NobbyNic. The latter are impressive, but not really a gravity riding tire for general uses (basically just large meats for low-traction trails). At that point in time, there wasn't really much promising rubber. The Ikon+/Rekon+ are a start, some portly Minions on the way, and hopefully some 2.8 MagicMary or 2.8 Vigiliante type offerings in the 1100g range will be what puts that in.

It would appear that the 148mm hub out back is just to improve lateral stiffness on the wheels - all well and good, but if I'm totally honest I'd be happier with them running 142mm and speccing some beefier rims (ARC 30's, Spank 345's, and on top end stuff the 30mm carbon DT-Spline wheels). The 100mm forks are a bit of a mystery there too - I realize that in the trail bike builds front wheel stiffness is probably not going to be that critical a trait, but the OEM price delta on the 100mm and 110mm forks is pretty small.
    I don't think anybody would have complained a lot with a slightly cobbled wheelbuild (formula or novatec hubs would probably be adequate if it bring a lot of price savings onboard), especially if it meant speccing some more universally loved rubber out of the gate (DHF, DHR2 3C or HR2s in front of MinionSS, DHR2 DCs, or Ardents; MagicMarys in front of Rock Razers, Goma F/R, etc.) - although the Onza's are pretty stout looking tires.

Cassoulet forever !
    I've been keeping a running crib sheet of long travel 29ers with at least acceptable reach for 6'2" or taller riders, and tracking the geometry with it
    Me too.
    Here it is, with some formula to calculate the perceived reach (taking into account the rise necessary to get the bar where it should).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

mtbr member
    . I wouldn't describe 140mm as inadequate for 98% of riders interested in a beefy bomber of a bike that pedals... even at that I'd hold out for the 160 Lyrik/Fox36 forked variant
    I never would of thought that a 165mm bike could ever replace my 230mm (I prefer the 210mm setting) Scott Gambler. But the Capra has done just that. I'm amazed that I have yet to bottom that thing, maybe I have but didn't notice it. Anyways it's the quality not quantity (I hate that saying but it's true). YT uses very progressive leverage ratios, Aaron Gwin is riding a stock YT frame but needed a "specialized" rocker on his Demo to make it more progressive. 140mm of YT suspension with 29" wheels is probably more than what most riders need, unless your hucking off the roof of your house to flat. They did tone it down a notch on the Jeffsy though. Here is a review from Bike Radar
    "Compared to the Capra, YT claims the mid-stroke is similar in feel, if not even more supportive, but the end of the stroke is less progressive and smoother."
    Five reasons why YT?s Jeffsy is one of the coolest 29ers out there - BikeRadar

Let me tell you about that mid stroke support, oh man is it sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    How stiff are their carbon layups/linkages compared to, say, Santa Cruz?

A Clyde wants to know.
    Please? I'm looking at a Prime or Hightower. If this is comparable, the bang/buck is incredibly compelling.

mtbr member
    I'm not a Clyde, nor have I any experience recently with SC, but my Capra is pretty stiff. Some flex in the rear when you really push it, but I wouldn't call it flexy, more like compliant.
    YT carbon is a mystery as I don't think they will disclose the factory. Could it come from some top notch factory and had to sign a secrecy disclosure (from other brands) or is it some cheap child labor shop in China? I know they had some quality issues the first few Capra batches but has since been sorted. My frame is holding up nicely, so far so good. (Nervous laugh)
    This will be something that may put off some buyers and I understand. The Jeffsy does come in Alu but I think carbon would be better for a Clyde, no?

mtbr member
    I'm not a Clyde, nor have I any experience recently with SC, but my Capra is pretty stiff. Some flex in the rear when you really push it, but I wouldn't call it flexy, more like compliant.
    Well, I'm about 265. Imagine having an 80-pound backpack and seeing how the bike acts then.

YT carbon is a mystery as I don't think they will disclose the factory. ... I think carbon would be better for a Clyde, no?
    Well, I'm not terribly worried about the factory as much as I am their reputation, build strength, and warranty coverage.

For instance, Evil flat-out recommended the Insurgent over the Following because it's built for bigger hits. Canfield said I'm too heavy for the Riot. Ibis waved me away from the Ripley and towards the Mojo3, but I don't want a plus bike. Yeti, Banshee and Santa Cruz all said I'm fine on all their bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Well, I'm about 265. Imagine having an 80-pound backpack and seeing how the bike acts then.

Well, I'm not terribly worried about the factory as much as I am their reputation, build strength, and warranty coverage.

For instance, Evil flat-out recommended the Insurgent over the Following because it's built for bigger hits. Canfield said I'm too heavy for the Riot. Ibis waved me away from the Ripley and towards the Mojo3, but I don't want a plus bike. Yeti, Banshee and Santa Cruz all said I'm fine on all their bikes.
    Best thing to do is send YT an email then post the answer here for reference.

mtbr member
    Did it yesterday, waiting to hear back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    There is an interview on Vitalmtb with a couple YT guys. The 27.5 question is asked. They basically say that they aren't all that impressed with the current tires.
    Interesting. Considering YT is a Euro company, does Maxxis and WTB not offer their 27.5+ tires in Euro land? The newer 27.5+ tires selection is convincing me to build a new wheel set.

MTBR member-at-large
    Help me decide b/t the YT Jeffsy, and a Ibis Mojo 3 w/ 27.5+ tires.

Currently riding a Santa Cruz Blur TRa (26") so I have no history with either 29er's or 27.5's. I don't race, I'm just into mountain biking in lots of different places with varied terrain, and enjoy long climbs as much as the twisty single track and technical descents.

Thoughts?
    Better at pedaling than typing

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ThornPatch View Post

Currently riding a Santa Cruz Blur TRa (26") so I have no history with either 29er's or 27.5's. I don't race, I'm just into mountain biking in lots of different places with varied terrain, and enjoy long climbs as much as the twisty single track and technical descents.

Thoughts?
    Hey ThornPatch,

I was just able to demo a bunch of different bikes last week after riding two different 26" bikes for the past eight years. I road a $10,000 Santa Cruz 5010, and while it was an amazing bike, I felt almost no difference in wheel size from my 26ers. But damn, the 29" wheels just rolled over everything! The new geometry of longer, lower, and slacker is really making the 29ers "fun". I ended up buying the Santa Cruz Hightower in 27.5+ form, because I haven't had that much fun on a bike since I was about eight years old, and the best part is I can switch it over to a 29er come winter time. In my size, a medium, it has almost the exact same dimensions as the YT Jeffsy, but is able to run up to 3.0 tires in 27.5+ form. The 2.8 tire size on 27" wide rims are absolutely amazing, and I think the ability to run them makes the bike a lot more versatile. All three of these bikes were at the top of my list, but the current Mojo 3 was almost $2,000 more then the Hightower, and the Jeffsy is backordered for three months, and I REALLY wanted the option to run wider tires. Have fun with whatever you choose

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Thoughts?
    I'm the same type of rider as you are and am currently on a Santa Cruz Superlight and have never owned a 27.5 or 29. I looked at a handful of bikes before deciding upon the Jeffsy, including the Mojo 3 and the Ripley, as well as the Hightower.

I personally decided upon the Jeffsy (I'm going with the aluminum frame with the SRAM 1x11 spec) based on two factors: you get more bang for your buck with their direct sales model, and I am local to their US distribution (I live in Reno).

I think you're going to get a good bike with either choice and the best idea would be to demo them if you have the opportunity to and decide which you like more based upon that -- otherwise, I'd flip a coin or pick one based upon which frame I thought had a better color scheme / paint job. Haha. That's probably not the best advice but I remember being told that by a guy at an LBS and he's right -- all of these companies are putting out great bikes these days and you're going to have fun with either one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Thoughts?
    Flip a coin. Or choose based upon which one you think has a better color scheme.

That probably sounds like horrible advice but you're going to get a good bike with either choice.

I personally am the same type of rider as you are and currently am on a Santa Cruz Superlight. I looked at a lot of different options before deciding upon the Jeffsy (I'm going with the aluminum frame with the SRAM 1x11 spec).

The Mojo 3 and Ripley, as well as the Hightower, were three of the other bikes that I had considered before deciding upon the Jeffsy. My decision was based on two main factors: you get more bang for your buck with YT's direct sales model, and I am local to their US distribution (I live in Reno).

The best idea would be to just demo the bikes and choose based upon which you feel most comfortable with although that may not be an option for you... seriously, flip a coin or choose based upon what you think looks the sweetest. You're going to have fun. All of these companies are putting out great bikes. I was told that advice by a guy at a LBS once and it really simplified things for me instead of obsessing about every little detail.

mtbr member
    Best thing to do is send YT an email then post the answer here for reference.
    Here ya go. For those of you wondering how a football player (or someone with that build) has to think when buying a bike...have a peep into my world.

Hello David,

Thank you for your mail and your interest in our products.

I talked to my colleagues from the Workshop to clarify if a big man like you could ride a JEFFSY.

The focus on the question wether you could ride such a bike or not isn't on the frame, as the frame has a clearance for your weight, but on the components.

If you really want to ride a 29er, we would recommend you to buy an aluminium version, because the CF models have lightweight components. BUT:

The DT-Swiss wheels on our aluminium frames have a clearance up to 110 kg. But we need to keep in mind that the bike itself weights about 12 kg, and when you're standing on the bike with all the equipment needed (helmet, protectors, backpack etc.) you will definitively be over the limit of this clearance.

So you definitively would have to change those wheels to hand spoked wheels which could take more weight/pressure at a local bike shop.

Basically you can ride a bike like this with changed components, but keep in mind, that the possiblity of failures of the components depend on your riding style.
    They could take a basic ride with not so much action and a good riding technique, but when you go fast and push the components to the limit, you would have a higher possibility of breaking something on the bike which could lead to injuries.
    Also the 29' wheels don't have the same stiffness as a 27.5' or 26' wheel.

The other components we have to keep in mind are the fork and the shock.

Rock Shox air shock components have a clearance up to 120 kg riders max..
    So please keep in mind, that by always using them at the limit of their clearance, failures or damages could occour more frequently than when rider with 75 kg would use them. This also fully depends on the riding style and the overall riding technique.

Mistakes in riding technique (when landing a jump for example or in technical sections) can always lead to damages on the components, no matter how heavy a rider might be, but with your weight category those damages could occur easier.

We also talked about the possiblity of a CAPRA for you. The Capra has smaller enduro wheels and they have a clearance of 130 kg and more stiffness that a 29' wheel (DT Swiss E 1900). But this bike could be too much for your prefered riding style and you have to decide this on our own.

I really hope this information is helpful to you.

Falls du noch weitere Fragen hast, dann zögere bitte nicht, uns erneut zu kontaktieren.
    If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate, to contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    best regards,

Christoph P.
    Gotta say, I'm incredibly impressed with the detail and consideration of his reply, and I told him so. That says a lot to me about the company.

(sigh) Looks like I'm just gonna go with a coil Prime and call it a day.

mtbr member
    Yep, really good response. Good customer service goes a long way in choosing a bike for me.

But no need to sigh about going a coiled Prime! Awesome bike and you'll have plenty of fun on it 👍

mtbr member
    May 2011

I would think you have to set design parameters and build a frame which accepts a 3.0" tire. Just having boost rear end doesn't mean the chain stays are wider and can accept 3.0" rubber.

This bike was probably in development long before 27.5+ was a thing (or that companies thought it would be a thing) just like the Yeti 5.5. Santa Cruz got it right, saw the potential market shift and developed a bike which would work well for both wheel sizes with little to no compromises. As a consumer spending this much money I want the capability to run both wheel sizes, but not everyone does.

Schnee above as an example would absolutely destroy the current 27.5+ tires at his weight, the current crop of tire casings are not durable enough. I have a friend who was ex-dh racer and he went back to 29" Minions because he had to walk back to the truck 3 times too many with 27.5+ on his Enduro 29er. For his riding style, they are just not durable enough. For me, they seem fine (fun) but the more durable 29er tires are faster for sure because you don't have to think about picking lines at all. Kind of similar to riding a fat bike at speed in rocky terrain (you can't) because you will kill the tires.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, don't sigh about the Prime. It's incredible.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    +1 Nothing wrong with a Prime. It is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    +1 Nothing wrong with a Prime. It is a great bike.
    Yep! But, if you're looking for another option, I believe Lenz can put together a heavy gauge frame for you.

EDIT: Oh, and do give some thought to using the wider hub options for either of those. Just keep in mind it'll usually require a matching crank.

Keep on Rockin...

Thoughts?

Going by the numbers on paper....

The Mojo seems like a far better match, as it seems to be a much more well rounded bike - a good old fashioned, do it all trail bike.

The yt strikes me as a plow bike.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    The yt strikes me as a plow bike.
    It looks like a versatile plow bike (or more specifically, a well-rounded bike that can be used as a plow).

A good fork and shock can really take that numb non-interactive feel out of a capable bike - light overall weight and a good wheelset can do a lot towards that too. It really comes down to getting a shock tune and suspension leverage curve that allows a bike to pop off small terrain and accept small quick course corrections when near the sag point without compromising small bump and big hit compliance. It can be done, and it's increasingly easy to do with good suspension and optimized rear triangle and linkage geometry.

If you think I'm crazy, just read reviews for the last couple of years - sure every bike is going to be fairly amazing when handing testers with modest incomes shiny new carbon bikes priced at more than the median worldwide annual income - but it really is getting possible to get bikes that are capable without being numb non-interactive sleds. To really hit the suspension performance and weight targets is expensive, but the result is a bike which can do more than plow, but when needed will let a rider feel like they've bulldozed a rock garden.

Keep on Rockin...
    It looks like a versatile plow bike (or more specifically, a well-rounded bike that can be used as a plow).

A good fork and shock can really take that numb non-interactive feel out of a capable bike - light overall weight and a good wheelset can do a lot towards that too. It really comes down to getting a shock tune and suspension leverage curve that allows a bike to pop off small terrain and accept small quick course corrections when near the sag point without compromising small bump and big hit compliance. It can be done, and it's increasingly easy to do with good suspension and optimized rear triangle and linkage geometry.

If you think I'm crazy, just read reviews for the last couple of years - sure every bike is going to be fairly amazing when handing testers with modest incomes shiny new carbon bikes priced at more than the median worldwide annual income - but it really is getting possible to get bikes that are capable without being numb non-interactive sleds. To really hit the suspension performance and weight targets is expensive, but the result is a bike which can do more than plow, but when needed will let a rider feel like they've bulldozed a rock garden.
    Those things definitely help.

But, there is no getting away from the limitations of a slack bike on climbs and twisty single track (unless it's pointing down).

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    First Ride: YT Jeffsy | BIKE Magazine

Short clip from bike mag on riding the Jeffsy before Sea Otter

mtbr member
    Head angle isn't everything when it comes to how a bike feels climbing, where your weight is positioned on the bike makes a big difference too.

My current bike at 66.5° climbs way more comfortably than my last bike at 67.8°.

Steeper seat tube angles will help with climbing at the expense of a lower effective top tube length. The YT is looking pretty neutral and I'd love to give one a test ride.

Unfortunately there's no local dealers any where near me and it's also not available frame only, but that's not a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Head angle isn't everything when it comes to how a bike feels climbing, where your weight is positioned on the bike makes a big difference too.

My current bike at 66.5° climbs way more comfortably than my last bike at 67.8°.

Steeper seat tube angles will help with climbing at the expense of a lower effective top tube length. The YT is looking pretty neutral and I'd love to give one a test ride.

Unfortunately there's no local dealers any where near me and it's also not available frame only, but that's not a deal breaker.
    I wonder how much of a factor rider weight plays as well. I never really thought about it but I was testing out a couple bikes earlier, one with a 2x10 system and the other with a 1x11. I made a comment about how I didn't see anybody would need the 2x10 system after going through all of the gears on the 1x11 and my friend referenced that it was likely because of how thin I am (I'm 5'9 135 lbs -- yes I need to gain weight). I also always thought that I was too small for 29ers but apparently that's not the case.
    I guess this is pretty off-topic to the thread but came to mind after reading about weight positioning.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    The YT is looking pretty neutral and I'd love to give one a test ride.

I'd like to demo one too. Since YT is direct to consumer brand, they will never have "local" dealers. Will have to wait for their demo schedule to be announced to ride one, likely some of the bigger events or Outerbike, etc..

mtbr member

This. My Capra is a plow bike, when I want it to be. It's also very nimble and sporty feeling, meaning I can feel the trail and pop off of the smallest root or rock. They say the Jeffsy is similar to the Capra until the end stroke where it's a bit more relaxed. Going off of this I can only guess that the Jeffsy is not just a plow bike. Nowhere near a coil sprung magic carpet of plushness plow bike. Sure it's stable and can handle the chunk when the chunk gets rough at speed, but that mid stroke support allows you to decide if you want to plow through the next hit, go up and over it, or just pop off of it. Extremly versatile.
    I really love the way YT cooked up the numbers on the leverage ratios for the Tues and Capra and I'm sure the Jeffsy will have a similar feel to it.
    Schnee, that sucks for sure, but you have to be pleased with the response.

mtbr member
    Would love a look at one of these. Wondering what the tyre clearance is like?...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Has anyone demo'd a Jeffsy yet? I'm cross shopping a Stumpjumper Expert vs. Jeffsy Comp 1. The Jeffsy comes in about $1300 for a similarly spec'd bike ($5900 vs $4600). I also noticed that the geometries are similar as well.

Cactus Cuddler
    I'd take the RT3 Monarch over the CTD Fox unit any day of the week, uniquely dumb headset is another detractor. Guide RSC brakes are a touch nicer than XT (but basically a wash, both are fantastic). If you're on a medium, you'll probably be reasonably happy with the wheel build on either. Finally, a 150mm dropper is just better, despite the IRCC/SRL Specialized unit being one of the best 125mm units out there. Basically, nothing on the Stumpy is better other than crankset, but that's nearly a wash because of the improvement Cinch is in the real world.

Schnee, that sucks for sure, but you have to be pleased with the response.
    Elsewhere, I mentioned how happy I was with that response from YT. It still ticks all the legalese boxes of the bike having reasonable limitations (it's fundamentally a 28# trail bike), but explains where those limitations are.

What really has me wondering is if they make a Pro Race version, if that would be a Clyde-ready bike. For the US market, there has to be something in it for a setup like that.

Fox 36 RC2 Fork (160mm, 51mm offset)
    Fox Float X2 w/ Climb Switch Shock
    Renthal Carbon Cockpit
    RF SixC crankset
    SRAM X01
    Guide Ultimate Brakes
    Spline M1500 30mm Internal Width Wheelset
    Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.35 MagiX Front GumX Rear [Since Cam Zink is a Michelin sponsored rider]

That's a bike I'd have to look at really seriously, because there wouldn't meaningfully be more I could want from it. Head angle would be right around 66.3° after factoring in offset delta, steering would still be pretty sharp, and that would be a remarkably gravity racing friendly bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    [QUOTE=tehllama;12604154]I'd take the RT3 Monarch over the CTD Fox unit any day of the week, uniquely dumb headset is another detractor. Guide RSC brakes are a touch nicer than XT (but basically a wash, both are fantastic). If you're on a medium, you'll probably be reasonably happy with the wheel build on either. Finally, a 150mm dropper is just better, despite the IRCC/SRL Specialized unit being one of the best 125mm units out there. Basically, nothing on the Stumpy is better other than crankset, but that's nearly a wash because of the improvement Cinch is in the real world.
    QUOTE]

Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines. Even if the SJ was the same price, the YT still represents a good deal. What the SJ does have going for it is lineage. I'm assuming that there's also significantly more engineering resources at Specialized to have an edge on structural integrity and overall thoroughness of design. To be or not to be an early adopter of the Jeffsy or at least in a couple of months when they get them in?

mtbr member
    Thanks. I was thinking along the same lines. Even if the SJ was the same price, the YT still represents a good deal. What the SJ does have going for it is lineage. I'm assuming that there's also significantly more engineering resources at Specialized to have an edge on structural integrity and overall thoroughness of design. To be or not to be an early adopter of the Jeffsy or at least in a couple of months when they get them in?
    Didn't Spesh use same front triangle on different hoop sized bikes o_0

Just saying ;-P

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So i've been looking for a bike for my wife who is 5'8" and about 135 lbs. We ride the same type of terrain here in Utah, except maybe slower, and I'm on a Tallboy LTc XL frame which also has 140mm of travel and is a 29er. I think it's awesome for the terrain here and I'm hoping that the Jeffsy would be a good fit for her in a size medium.

What do you think about this bike for female riders? She has had some lower back issues and so we are looking to move her out of her hardtail.

She's test ridden a specialized stumpjumper 29, camber and rumor, albeit in a parking lot only but she did prefer the stumpy in that situation, dropping curbs and stairs and stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePine View Post
    So i've been looking for a bike for my wife who is 5'8" and about 135 lbs. We ride the same type of terrain here in Utah, except maybe slower, and I'm on a Tallboy LTc XL frame which also has 140mm of travel and is a 29er. I think it's awesome for the terrain here and I'm hoping that the Jeffsy would be a good fit for her in a size medium.

What do you think about this bike for female riders? She has had some lower back issues and so we are looking to move her out of her hardtail.

She's test ridden a specialized stumpjumper 29, camber and rumor, albeit in a parking lot only but she did prefer the stumpy in that situation, dropping curbs and stairs and stuff.
    I'm sort of in the same boat. Next week I'm taking my wife on a few easy trails near a test center. We'll see if she prefers a 29er over 650b. If she likes the 29er I may get her a Jeffsy, if she prefers 650b then it might be a Rose Granite Chief. I like the new Rose bikes. (Rose Bikes is a family run business over 100 years old.) They have this Horst/VPP thing going on plus the price is even better than YT and you can pick and choose your own parts/build. Dont know if Rose is coming to the U.S market or not. Still don't know whats taking Canyon so long. One thing is for sure, once this German direct buy invasion is in full swing U.S bikes will never be the same. Which is a good thing.

mtbr member
    I'd take the RT3 Monarch over the CTD Fox unit any day of the week, uniquely dumb headset is another detractor. Guide RSC brakes are a touch nicer than XT (but basically a wash, both are fantastic). If you're on a medium, you'll probably be reasonably happy with the wheel build on either. Finally, a 150mm dropper is just better, despite the IRCC/SRL Specialized unit being one of the best 125mm units out there. Basically, nothing on the Stumpy is better other than crankset, but that's nearly a wash because of the improvement Cinch is in the real world.

Elsewhere, I mentioned how happy I was with that response from YT. It still ticks all the legalese boxes of the bike having reasonable limitations (it's fundamentally a 28# trail bike), but explains where those limitations are.

What really has me wondering is if they make a Pro Race version, if that would be a Clyde-ready bike. For the US market, there has to be something in it for a setup like that.

Fox 36 RC2 Fork (160mm, 51mm offset)
    Fox Float X2 w/ Climb Switch Shock
    Renthal Carbon Cockpit
    RF SixC crankset
    SRAM X01
    Guide Ultimate Brakes
    Spline M1500 30mm Internal Width Wheelset
    Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.35 MagiX Front GumX Rear [Since Cam Zink is a Michelin sponsored rider]

That's a bike I'd have to look at really seriously, because there wouldn't meaningfully be more I could want from it. Head angle would be right around 66.3° after factoring in offset delta, steering would still be pretty sharp, and that would be a remarkably gravity racing friendly bike.
    Such a bike would really tempt me from my Capra. For now I am perfectly happy with N and don't need +1. (Ive never said that before)

Has anyone ordered a Jeffsy yet? Cant wait to hear ride reports and the trail pics to go along.

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Yep, Comp 1 ordered, waiting...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post

Just saying ;-P

The Jeffsy frame does look very similar to the Stumpjumper 29er frame, circa 2010-2013.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I haven't been able to demo a Jeffsy yet but I got to sit on one and take it around a parking lot. Can't even tell they're 29ers from first glance.

To the guy looking for a bike for his wife, I'm around a similar size to her, albeit male: 5'9, 140 lbs. The medium was a perfect fit for me.

I'm going to demo one in June when they're available but am pretty sure that I'm going to purchase, can't find better value for the price from anybody else. I'm going with the AL Comp 1 ($3500).

The other bikes I've considered are the Remedy 9 and Fuel EX 9... but YT definitely seems to have much more bang for the buck than Trek (or any of the other major manufacturers).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WhitePine View Post

I'm a guy, but I'm around the same size as your wife at 5'8" (31"-32" inseam) and between 135-140lbs... and I also have some back issues. I just bought a medium Santa Cruz Hightower, because the Jeffsy was backordered for a few months and I needed a bike quickly since mine was recently stolen. The reason I'm mentioning a different bike in this thread, is because the geometry is almost identical between the two bikes, so your wife could go demo a medium Hightower at your local LBS to see how she feels on it, and then buy the Jeffsy online. However, I'm running my bike in 27.5 plus form right now with 2.8 inch Maxxis tires and loving it. I mention that, because that extra plush ride hasn't diminished my speed at all, but definitely makes for a plusher ride with less aches and pains at the end of a ride. BTW, I'm so jealous of guys that have wives they can ride mountain bikes with!

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Admarz View Post
    BTW, I'm so jealous of guys that have wives they can ride mountain bikes with!
    Don't be, it's twice more maintenance work and expenses lol ))))))))) You should keep 2 bikes in perfect shape, and you can't get her less nicer bike than you have ))))))

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I guess the other way of looking at it is that the Specialized had a much better support network in many countries, it can take a normal bottle cage and bottle (actual deal breaker for me if it couldn't but I understand that not everyone shares my outlook), has the down tube storage which really does man that a pack is redundant for a lot of rides. These improvements are much bigger than the spec for me.

Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post

Just saying
    No they don't, they did but you are out of date with your specialized bashing, maybe try something about lawyers next time

I'm not saying the Specialized is a better bike, just that it does have it's own merits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The Jeffsy frame does look very similar to the Stumpjumper 29er frame, circa 2010-2013.
    Really!?

YT Jeffsy 29er-uploadfromtaptalk1461877036718.jpg

YT Jeffsy 29er-uploadfromtaptalk1461877057908.jpg

Think similarity ends with - they have wheels, pedals, handlebars, drivetrain etc. Frames are very different ;-P

"Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Other than how they mount the shock to the frame,........................yeah.

I'm with stupid
    That actual seat tube looks very slack. Wonder if it will bother taller riders like the Following does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Admarz View Post
    I'm a guy, but I'm around the same size as your wife at 5'8" (31"-32" inseam) and between 135-140lbs... and I also have some back issues. I just bought a medium Santa Cruz Hightower, because the Jeffsy was backordered for a few months and I needed a bike quickly since mine was recently stolen. The reason I'm mentioning a different bike in this thread, is because the geometry is almost identical between the two bikes, so your wife could go demo a medium Hightower at your local LBS to see how she feels on it, and then buy the Jeffsy online. However, I'm running my bike in 27.5 plus form right now with 2.8 inch Maxxis tires and loving it. I mention that, because that extra plush ride hasn't diminished my speed at all, but definitely makes for a plusher ride with less aches and pains at the end of a ride. BTW, I'm so jealous of guys that have wives they can ride mountain bikes with!
    I love my Tallboy LT, and so I'd love to get a Hightower for her but it's a little cost restrictive. I'm interested in the idea of going for a 27.5+ though if it really will be easier on her back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast