Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YT Jeffsy 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    That actual seat tube looks very slack. Wonder if it will bother taller riders like the Following does.
    Was just thinking the same thing. I am fairy sort in the legs so it wouldn't be a problem but for some that might not climb the really step stuff very well.

Cactus Cuddler
    In terms of overlay/comparison - the two bikes are running the same suspension concept, roughly identically sized links attached in really similar places, and primarily differ in terms of front shock mounting location. In the EU market, there are another 7 or so bikes that are also extremely similar, so no surprise there to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Floor Tom View Post
    I guess the other way of looking at it is that the Specialized had a much better support network in many countries, it can take a normal bottle cage and bottle (actual deal breaker for me if it couldn't but I understand that not everyone shares my outlook), has the down tube storage which really does man that a pack is redundant for a lot of rides. These improvements are much bigger than the spec for me.
    I'm not saying the Specialized is a better bike, just that it does have it's own merits.
    I really think dealer support is a huge thing for a lot of buyers, including those who are mechanically inclined themselves, but I don't think it's worth an entire step down the tier ordering for key performance parts to achieve it for those who are mechanically inclined. The newer Fox stuff is really nice, and the 2017 Model Year specialized stuff that runs it will not have that set of gripes from me, but the 2015 vintage Fox shock internals just aren't as good when tuned properly.
    I suspect this post will look out of date in a month or two after Specialized updates spec on the Stumpy, as it will be at least a partial response to YT (probably change the Carbon Comp to a Yari, standardize GX/Guide R brakes). As it stands now, I see the Jeffsy as a much better value, enough to to outweigh the cumulative value of unique features and LBS support @ big-S concept stores.

Down tube storage I feel really mixed about - the multitool and chain breaker are 100% awesome additions, the downtube storage for lightweight/bulky stuff isn't so bad, but at some point adding a lot of mass to the bike chassis is something I'd be paying money not to do. If I'm completely honest, those are features I could put onto a Jeffsy and still be money ahead (multitool on the bottle cage), but I personally prefer to ride with a pack because I really prefer to carry lots of water (desert southwest), full sized multitool, two tubes, IFAK, pump, patch kit, and food.

I don't know how to make this part sound less 'internet condescending', but but riders who aren't top decile in terms of speed, the Stumpjumper is going to be a better bike for all of the reasons you mention. For faster, or simply larger riders the details of suspension performance, wheelset, and running slightly better cockpit parts are somewhat non-optional to really get a bike that performs, so saving money getting to that point is excellent (instead of having useless spares of some parts sitting in a garage).
    My go/no-go criteria are very much Clyde rider oriented, so as soon as the StumpyFSR gets disqualified for a few minor infractions in that regard (low spoke count wheelset, poor shock tune, having to choose between a carbon frame or a Pike in my price range) I can't help but see that Specialized isn't converting volume sales into price savings.
    So, despite those added features being clearly awesome, comparing the price differential those aren't $800 worth of features to me, especially when $800 happens to be the cost of a LightBicycle carbon wheelset, which would widen that performance gap further.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's a review on the front page YT Jeffsy CF Comp 1 first ride review - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    First batch was shipped this week. Some build photos and ride reports should start filterng in any day now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    First batch was shipped this week. Some build photos and ride reports should start filterng in any day now.

Any ride reports out there??

Interested to see how it climbs compare to other 29er, Trek Fuel Ex7, Evil Following, or even Yeti 4.5C

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Bump..looking at getting a jeffsy. Where we at with rider reviews?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    Bump..looking at getting a jeffsy. Where we at with rider reviews?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    There is now a YT forum. If you check there, there are some rider reviews out. The Jeffsy does look like a really cool bike. I wish they had East Cost demos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thinking about picking up a new shock, but can't decide which way to go. My bike is an 18 AL with the dps evol. I just took it off my bike to send it in for warranty work, so it could be a good time to stop my bike from packing up after consecutive hits. Seems like it just gets overwhelmed and starts bouncing around. I want to maintain the liveliness that the dps has, but am looking to help out the rear a bit when it gets more rowdy.

Terrain: Just good mountain stuff. VA Mountains, Pisgah, etc.

Topaz? DPX2? Coil?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Im a huge fan of Avalanche. Id call them to see what they can do with the shock you already have. Or if one is a better fit. You get all different internals and have separate HSC circuits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12