mtbr member
    Aug 2018

YT Capra AL Comp 29er?

Iím currently riding a large 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon 2.1R build. Itís super fun, and super agile. However, i think itís too small. Iím 6í2Ē and I believe I should be riding an XL but the deal on the large wa too good to pass up.

Again, this bike is super fun, BUT - I feel like Iím riding a bmx bike. Which I imagine is an awesome thing for many people looking for a playful bike but Iím trying to start riding some long races soon in Pisgah (50 mile races) with serious steep descents and technical climbs. I wonder if this bike will be too small.

Enter the YT Capra AL Comp 29er. XL. Has anyone ridden these capras? Particularly the newer ones? They look amazingly awesome and similar geometry wise to the Bronson but longer. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just built up a Jeffsey AL comp for a buddy Friday. I was really impressed with the bike. If the Capra is just as good itís a deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You like the bike but got the wrong size. Your size is more sellable so that's good luck. Sell it and get the XL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You like the bike but got the wrong size. Your size is more sellable so that's good luck. Sell it and get the XL.
    Unfortunately I canít afford to go back to Santa Cruz and get a bigger size, I would be taking too big a hit. However, I can get a YT for $3k and sell my bronson for $3k.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I rode my jeffsy out in pisgah for PMBAR and thought it was perfect, so i'm sure the capra would work just fine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I rode my jeffsy out in pisgah for PMBAR and thought it was perfect, so i'm sure the capra would work just fine!

Whats worrying me are the people who say the Capra is ďtoo much bikeĒ for what I want to do. Did you feel like you would have been better off with the longer reach and travel of the Capra or is you feel the Jeffsy did you well in the PMBAR?

im currently riding central NC trails, mostly xc style with short ascents and descents, but typically no more than 1000ft climbing in a 15 mile ride. However, I enjoy longer travel bikes for some reason, maybe itís my back and me getting older lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I understand that!

I think the Jeffsy is a great Pisgah bike. I've been on it since February, and looove taking it to the mountains, haha. I haven't ever ridden anything like the Capra out there, but generally feel that the Jeffsy is enough bike. My bike is also a 29er though, so that should be added into equation.

Will this be your only mountain bike? I have a hardtail as well that I use for most of my XC type stuff. I will take the Jeffsy on some XC rides, but feel that it's a bit more than I want to be pedaling around for my in town stuff. That being said... where I live its incredibly flat. I'm sure the Capra would be an absolute hoot on the downs in Pisgah. I don't have any experience with it though, so I can't say much more than that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    I understand that!

I think the Jeffsy is a great Pisgah bike. I've been on it since February, and looove taking it to the mountains, haha. I haven't ever ridden anything like the Capra out there, but generally feel that the Jeffsy is enough bike. My bike is also a 29er though, so that should be added into equation.

Will this be your only mountain bike? I have a hardtail as well that I use for most of my XC type stuff. I will take the Jeffsy on some XC rides, but feel that it's a bit more than I want to be pedaling around for my in town stuff. That being said... where I live its incredibly flat. I'm sure the Capra would be an absolute hoot on the downs in Pisgah. I don't have any experience with it though, so I can't say much more than that!

Yeah this will be my only bike. The Bronson is perfect with 6Ē 150mm of travel and I think itís great for everything there is. However itís a tad too small for me and I think itís maybe too playful (if thatís even a thing lol)? I feel like itís a bmx bike somehow tackling mountain terrain perfectly. Iím ok with a larger 29Ē wheel I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrumroy View Post
    Yeah this will be my only bike. The Bronson is great with 6Ē 150mm of travel and I think itís great for everything there is. However itís a tad too small for me and I think itís maybe too playful? I feel like itís a bmx bike somehow tackling mountain terrain perfectly. Iím ok with a larger 29Ē wheel I think.
    Well the 27.5 Jeffsy is 150/150, so if you like the Bronson it could be worth checking out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do not think you will find many that has ridden one. Met a guy on the trail who had the new capra, but i think it was the 27 one. He was very pleased with it. I bet the 29 is awsome too. I have had some time on the old capra, and that was a great bike. More happening with the suspension on the capra than on a VPP bike, for better and worse. As i understand it the capra 29 is set up with a "stiffer" rear suspension than the 27 capra for some reason.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Iíve owned a couple Bronsonís and currently have a Capra 29. First, youíre definitely an XL in either bike. Iím the same height.

Iím in Phoenix, but Iíve done some riding in Pisgah.

The Bronson is a fine bike if you like small wheels. I will say, the Capra is an entirely different world. I love the YT going downhill, but I would not want it to be my only bike. Itís a lot of bike here in Phx, so definitely a lot in your terrain.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Iíve owned a couple Bronsonís and currently have a Capra 29. First, youíre definitely an XL in either bike. Iím the same height.

Iím in Phoenix, but Iíve done some riding in Pisgah.

The Bronson is a fine bike if you like small wheels. I will say, the Capra is an entirely different world. I love the YT going downhill, but I would not want it to be my only bike. Itís a lot of bike here in Phx, so definitely a lot in your terrain.
    What part makes you say it shouldnít be my quiver killer bike? Is it uncomfortable for long xc rides or too heavy or too Slow on switchbacks? I am ok with having to work a little bit more on climbs and pedaling as long as it still fun and lively on the trails. Iíve decided Iím a big wheel guy so I want to make the switch to the 29er regardless.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    My daily driver is a new Stumpy. Itís much more friendly for most trails. When I was in your neck of the woods last year, I rented a Hightower. If you like the Bronson suspension, that would be an obvious choice.

The Capra is a war machine. It is not, by any stretch, a trail bike. It pedals fine for what it is, but itís built to go downhill. If you only have one bike, Iíd think the Jeffsy would be the smarter choice in YTís range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I may take a look at the new stump jumpers now that they got rid of the proprietary rear shock setup.

And I know I may be in the minority here with this opinion, but I donít feel like the VPP suspension system of the Santa Cruz is that great on downhill fast bumps. I kind of feel like itís really stiff and reminds me of my hardtail. I may end up looking the more plush feel of other styles.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    SC doesnít do many favors with stock shock choices. Take a Hightower with a nice Topaz or X2 aftermarket shock and your opinion might change.

The new Stumpy is a kick-arse rig.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    It sounds to me like the jeffsy 27.5 would be perfect for you. 150 travel, easily extended to 160, longer reach than the 29, plenty capable for bike park and lift use but wonít feel out of itís element for every day trail use. Itís a couple lbs lighter, can fit a water bottle and is just a more well rounded bike.

I bought a Capra and quickly added a hardtail for a 2nd bike as the Capra is just overkill for 90% of the day to day riding I do here in Kamloops. I would have bought a Jeffsy but Iím 6í5 and was hung up on the 500mm reach numbers of the XXL Capra. If I were a few inches shorter I would have just went with an XL Jeffsy 27.5 and went on my merry way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Camstyn View Post
    It sounds to me like the jeffsy 27.5 would be perfect for you. 150 travel, easily extended to 160, longer reach than the 29, plenty capable for bike park and lift use but wonít feel out of itís element for every day trail use. Itís a couple lbs lighter, can fit a water bottle and is just a more well rounded bike.

I bought a Capra and quickly added a hardtail for a 2nd bike as the Capra is just overkill for 90% of the day to day riding I do here in Kamloops. I would have bought a Jeffsy but Iím 6í5 and was hung up on the 500mm reach numbers of the XXL Capra. If I were a few inches shorter I would have just went with an XL Jeffsy 27.5 and went on my merry way.

Thank you for the feedback. I am back into looking at the Jeffys's once again. I almost bought one prior to the Bronson but got such a great deal on the BRonson I couldn't pass it up. However, I may get the 29 Jeffsy AL Comp in an XL. I do want my old big wagon wheels back lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrumroy View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I am back into looking at the Jeffys's once again. I almost bought one prior to the Bronson but got such a great deal on the BRonson I couldn't pass it up. However, I may get the 29 Jeffsy AL Comp in an XL. I do want my old big wagon wheels back lol.
    29er Jeffsy for the win! It really is an awesome Pisgah bike. Climbs and descends so well. I honestly love doing both on mine.

I think the capra would be a lot to pedal around Pisgah for 50-60 miles. In my opinion you're leaning the right way.

fraid of heights
    now if they would just update the geo on the Jeffsy 29er and you'd be good. The XL isn't so much an XL in comparison anymore...

I'm somewhat in the same boat, the Capra 29 just seems like too much bike, the Jeffsy 29 would be great if the geo was updated. The Jeffsy 27.5 has more up to date geo, but I'm steering towards the wagon wheels this time around...

Wish they would hurry up and update the Hightower LT or make a Bronson 29er!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    now if they would just update the geo on the Jeffsy 29er and you'd be good. The XL isn't so much an XL in comparison anymore...

I'm somewhat in the same boat, the Capra 29 just seems like too much bike, the Jeffsy 29 would be great if the geo was updated. The Jeffsy 27.5 has more up to date geo, but I'm steering towards the wagon wheels this time around...

Wish they would hurry up and update the Hightower LT or make a Bronson 29er!!!
    Oh my god if I could get a bronson 29er I would jump on it in a heartbeat lol. Although thatís basically what the Hightower lt is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Iím kinda in the same boat looking at the HTLT and Jeffsy CF Pro.
    Can get either for the same price right now but havenít been able to demo either so no idea which to go with.
    Iím 6í1Ē and leaning toward XL on either bike. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone been on both the 19 Stumpy and a Jeffsy 29ers? Got to demo the Stumpy carbon comp on my local trails and loved it and these are the two bikes I've narrowed it down to. Geo seems to be pretty close between the two. Although the Jeffsy won't fit 2.6 tires from what I've read.