Your ultimate 29er- Mtbr.com
    what a joke

Your ultimate 29er

Not sure if this has been done already or not. I have been thinking about what my ultimate 29er would be, I want a burly trail bike.

5 " travel front and rear
    Horst link rear, bearings or bushings
    Fox RP3 shock or maybe the DHX
    Fox's new 36 fork made for a 29er though
    Kenda Blue groove 2.5 f and Nevegal 2.4 r
    Plus all the other usual high end bits and pieces.

Basically I want my Turner 5spot but in a 29er version.

I would also keep my rigid ss monkey as it has a way of keeping my trail riding honest.
    blah blah blah

Recovering couch patato
    Something along that line would also get a prime spot in my stable when someone makes it already, and my cashlfow permits. I'll first have to get a car, as our trails within 4 hours don't justify such a bike.
    Turner is aware of the great demand of his design bikes upgraded a few inches, but doesn't like the idea at all. I think on this forum alone over a dozen have expressed direct willingness to pay a lot of cash for a 29" Turner.

Personally I like the way Lenz builds his frames, light yet burly. A big brother to the Leviathan would keep me awake at night for sure, especially with an upcoming week(end) abroad. bent seattube for better chainstaylength-travel ratio.

Maverick DUC32 fork for my dream marathon and light FR dream bikes, somehow tuned to be 80/100/120mm on-the-fly adjustable in stead of 120/70, plus of course some nice stable platform technology.

XO rear derailer, older XTR front, and H-bar with somehow made-to-work SRAm triggers. Formula ORO or Extreme brakes.

Stan's new 570g FR rims, rolled for 29", should be pretty good, and offer good weight-strength-volume ratio.

A wider rear hub to offer a wider flange spacing makes sense
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

what a joke
    Yeah its a shame about Turner, but maybe in a year or two he will change his mind and by then there will be a larger selection of forks and tires as well.
    blah blah blah

Cassoulet forever !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Maverick DUC32 fork for my dream marathon and light FR dream bikes, somehow tuned to be 80/100/120mm on-the-fly adjustable in stead of 120/70, plus of course some nice stable platform technology.

XO rear derailer, older XTR front, and H-bar with somehow made-to-work SRAm triggers. Formula ORO or Extreme brakes.

Stan's new 570g FR rims, rolled for 29", should be pretty good, and offer good weight-strength-volume ratio.

A wider rear hub to offer a wider flange spacing makes sense
    Hum, we have some common idea here.
    I would like an ultimate bike for marathon riding in the alps.

120 or 150 front and rear with on the fly adjustement to lower it, inertia valve technology.
    Parallelogram fork for the stifness.
    Lowering saddle on the fly for step downhill and trial.
    Integrated transmission with no chain to be seen from the outside, allowing shifts while coasting, one command only, no chain crossing.
    Special hubs with wide spacing (to have the same angle a 26 have), straight head spokes, stans rims, singlegear with no freehub rear, using whyte/maverick style dropouts for rigidity.
    Integrated crankset bearings a la cannondale.
    1.5 front headtube for dealing with the increased torque a 29 have.
    New stan aluminium disks.
    egg beaters tri ti with shorter axle.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member

mine...

2 eggs over easy with a side of bacon.

A KM, drop bars, disc brakes. Pedals. Tires. Saddle. etc.

Brown.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    2 eggs over easy with a side of bacon.

A KM, drop bars, disc brakes. Pedals. Tires. Saddle. etc.

Brown.
    I second on the Monkey with Avid discs although I might go with Jones bars over the drops. There is a lot to be said for keeping it simple for ultra long epics that are not races (like my life in general). The Monkey is very tough and should you manage to break the frame it can be welded just about anywhere.

Assuming you are not in a race, and you at least threaten to be a clydesdale (great reason to be on a 29er), I don't see the need for ultra light and complex bikes. I can ride my Monkey all day and go anywhere anyone else does with the only accute strain being in the muscles of my face from smiling so much.

Oh.. and I would like to add a side of pancakes to fuel the long rides.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Not sure if this has been done already or not. I have been thinking about what my ultimate 29er would be....
    Tough questions, but in the end, it turned out to be a Don McClung retro style with a strut fork, track ends, canti studs, dedicated SS with clearance for big tires. Having trouble deciding on paint though: British Racing Green or a dark satin blue....

Tire's will eventually be the new Ritchey's.
    Rims will be Rhyno's laced to Paul's NR hubs or maybe Phils with Alpine spokes and brass nips.
    Stem will be custom Steve Potts when I convince him to make me one.
    Seatpost will be a Salsa.
    Saddle will be either a Brooks B17 in BRG if I go that frame color or Honey if not.
    Syncros Stainless headset, heavy, but oh so cool!
    Haven't decided on cranks yet, but probably chrome Profiles or maybe refurbish some old Bullseye's I have laying around.
    My trusty Salsa Cromoto bars.
    Ourys lock-ons in black.
    Paul's MAFAC rip-offs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

we need pics...

"in the end,it turned out to be"

This sounds like past tense,so it must exist....please post some pics.

Dan Cas
    no signature

Jan 2004
    You're right, this was covered before, though with a slightly different stipulation of "money no object". I have the same problem with this question as I did with that, how to restrict to just one bike! After much thought I could narrow it down to three 29" wheel equipped steeds...

Vanilla w stainless lugs, SS, rigid, and drop bars - the general riding fun bike
    Moots YBB w WB 0.8 and 1x9 - the XC race bike
    Leviathan w Maverick and 2x9 - the long distance & marathon race bike

As all of these are well out of my price range, and beyond justifiable given the amount I'm currently able to ride, the "within reason dream bike" to be purchased some time this year will be a rigid SS/1x9 Wily with sliding drops.

Sam

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcas
    "in the end,it turned out to be"

This sounds like past tense,so it must exist....please post some pics.

Dan Cas
    No pics yet, Dan, I figure I have a couple of months to go. I first met Don in '98 I think and then would see him at Interbike when he'd go. This summer I had a chance to hang out with him at his “Backyard Bicycle Shop” in Salida, CO right on the banks of the Arkansas River. Those who know Don are probably already aware of his long history in the bike biz. Don is in his 60’s and he can still kick the azz of most riders and he’s been building bikes since the early 80’s that I know of and probably before that.

Anyway, Don builds these really cool 29” retro style frames and strut forks based in large part on bikes nearer the 1900’s than the 21st century. I had a chance to take a ride on Don’s personal bike since we’re close to the same size and it was sublime. You can get an idea of what his bikes look like in this pic (unfortunately I was “between” cameras when I was at Don’s and didn’t get any pics) http://www.absolutebikes.com/29inchMTB.html. Don is definitely “old school.” He builds everything himself, even his fork crowns and struts, he does a fair bit of tube bending and you’ll see that all his 29” bikes use a bent seattube (Don pretty much only builds 29” bikes as far as I know) and he’s a fan of short chainstays and everything is fillet brazed together.

Don is one of the builder's I know that I felt was important for me to get an example of their work while they're still building and just because I build frames doesn't mean I don't lust after frames from my friends. I'm still have 2-years left on the waiting list for my Sachs 29 and I'll probably get a Steve Potts after that. At some point I'd really like to have a go at convincing Jeff Lindsey (of Mountain Goat fame) to build another frame though I have a beautiful example of one of his Deluxes that I restored.

Back to Don, he doesn’t have a website and he doesn’t do any marketing, he just builds wicked cool bikes and rides his SS (he’s been known to ride Monarch Crest from town). I was talking to him just the other day and he told me that for the first time in five years he doesn’t have a huge backlog so if you were ever thinking about getting something of his, now is the time. His number is 719.539.7146.

jl
    climb
    Here's a dirt rag article about Don "the lung" McClung. It was one of the reasons I went for a 29er. What he said about wheels made sense ..

http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=633
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    See "would you lug this up a climb" http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=74138.

'cept with gears and a lugged crown fork.

mtbr member
    For me personally, what she said.

But wouldn't the ultimate 29"er be based on a 3.5lb frame that costs under $300 retail? The more frames out there being built up, the more the industry will listen about tires and forks.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Witty McWitterson
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Don is one of the builder's I know that I felt was important for me to get an example of their work while they're still building and just because I build frames doesn't mean I don't lust after frames from my friends. I'm still have 2-years left on the waiting list for my Sachs 29 and I'll probably get a Steve Potts after that. At some point I'd really like to have a go at convincing Jeff Lindsey (of Mountain Goat fame) to build another frame though I have a beautiful example of one of his Deluxes that I restored.
    Color me jealous...these on top of a McLung...man either you have one hella cool wife, or you're not married. I think what you've described here would be my personal lusty bikes too. You'll most definitely have to post pics, and lots of them, when the bike is ready.
    Just a regular guy.

highly visible

My ultimate 29"er ...

(or something very close to it) will be in my hands by the end of next month: Vulture 29"er w/ EBB, BW coil fork, Thudbuster and Avid disc brakes, custom fit and paint. (As great as the Lenz sounds, it's not SS-able without a tensioner, so it's not an option for me).

If price weren't an object, the only major changes I would make would be wheels and tires: I'd build up a nice lightweight bomber wheelset (American Classic? Zipp?), and I'd put up the cash for a big enough order to get one of our favorite tire suppliers to finally make the fattie we've all been waiting for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder
    Not sure if this has been done already or not. I have been thinking about what my ultimate 29er would be, I want a burly trail bike.

5 " travel front and rear
    Horst link rear, bearings or bushings
    Fox RP3 shock or maybe the DHX
    Fox's new 36 fork made for a 29er though
    Kenda Blue groove 2.5 f and Nevegal 2.4 r
    Plus all the other usual high end bits and pieces.

Basically I want my Turner 5spot but in a 29er version.

I would also keep my rigid ss monkey as it has a way of keeping my trail riding honest.

Zinn Cycles makes a 5" travel 29er... http://www.zinncycles.com/bikes.aspx...fullsuspension

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregk
    Zinn Cycles makes a 5" travel 29er... http://www.zinncycles.com/bikes.aspx...fullsuspension
    Zinn markets a 5" travel bike, Devin Lenz makes it.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Zinn markets a 5" travel bike, Devin Lenz makes it.
    There is no 5" 29er/Leviathan in existence. When there is I'm sure someone will tell us. Hopefully MikeSee, after he wheelie-drops some Fruita trails ...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Color me jealous...these on top of a McLung...man either you have one hella cool wife, or you're not married. I think what you've described here would be my personal lusty bikes too. You'll most definitely have to post pics, and lots of them, when the bike is ready.
    Well, I do have a cool wife, but she doesn't have anything to do with it. I consider it a benefit of working in the industry and knowing these guys personally. Builder's don't build forever and I don't want the day to come when I wished I had bought one but didn't. Know what I mean?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DWF and curved seat tubes...

Did you ever build the curved tube ones you talked about sometime back?It seems that the 29 is a prime candidate for that design,if it doesn't cause front derailleur issues.(Yeah,I use gears).If you have one with a 24.3 mm top tube and a 72.5 seattube and a 71 headtube on hand,send it east for evaluation

Dan
    no signature

mtbr member

Yeah...

...but only for true giraffes. Looks like the smallest they make is a XXL or 23" ST model in 29er FS. Plus, the leverage ration is 3.33:1 - pretty high to me for air shocks - or really any shock. Would be nice if they had a longer stroke on their to allow for more reasonable PSI/expective shock life.

Also, what's up with the concentric BB - the Lenz brand uses an above & behind pivot location.

Wish they made an XL.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by gregk
    Professional Amateur

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcas
    Did you ever build the curved tube ones you talked about sometime back?It seems that the 29 is a prime candidate for that design,if it doesn't cause front derailleur issues.(Yeah,I use gears).If you have one with a 24.3 mm top tube and a 72.5 seattube and a 71 headtube on hand,send it east for evaluation
    Dan
    Yes, I have. On mine, It doesn't cause a FD problem as long as you use an E type or a Road Compact Triple braze-on FD. The braze-on gives you more adjustment over the chainrings but E-types can be modded to work that way too. None to send out for eval, but you knew that.

Recovering couch patato
    Grrrr....

So now the 29*5*5" bike CAN BE ORDERED, but will only fit you if you're 6'5" and up?

What's with Zinn? Supposedly a supporter of the 29" wheel, but if you only offer it from 6'5" and up, isn't that like saying : I don't think 29" is a very smart idea for normal adults?
    I like his geoemtries BTW.

Is a 74º STA common for 5" bikes, due to sag perhaps? I wonder, especially in such big sizes. And the 29" version is steeper than the 26", hmmm...

Also, at the toptube lengths for the 3.5" bike. From the smallest size up, it steps upper 2" size with : 14mm / 10mm / 19 mm / 19mm / 38mm. Funny, just where the XL just to XXL with a double leap, is where I'd like to be exactly in the middle :-)

I grew up with the handicap of bumping my head on everything, being tallest at school, etc. Now I can't fit the smallest size bike I'm interested in!

Apart from all my questions, let it be clear that I think it's kick-azz that someone puts a 29*5*5" bike on a price list. If you fit Shaq's shoes, and dump without lifting your heels, it's yours for $2150.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    From Linn's page :

The bottom image shows a custom steel mountain bike built for a 6'9" rider that has 29" (700C) wheels and 210mm cranks for high speed mountain cruising! The larger wheel size is an incredible advantage for riders taller than 6'6", as it allows the bars to be high enough, since the limiting factor for big riders determined by suspension-fork manufacturers is the steering-tube length. Suspension forks for 29" wheels have the same steering-tube length as 26" models, but their longer leg length combined with the larger wheel radius brings the head tube, and consequently the handlebars, up several inches higher. The 29" wheels also roll over obstacles incredible well and are more in proportion with such big frames.

I think Linn's off by out a foot for which riders will feel the advantage of 29" wheels, but I like his ideas about proportional cranks. My ideal bike doesn't exist if the cranks are much under 200mm I'm afraid, though it will take me many mongths to ever get used or even equally efficient on them.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Grrrr....
    So now the 29*5*5" bike CAN BE ORDERED, but will only fit you if you're 6'5" and up?
    It's been listed on the website for quite some time. Just needs a guinea pig I suspect.

Is a 74� STA common for 5" bikes, due to sag perhaps? I wonder, especially in such big sizes. And the 29" version is steeper than the 26", hmmm...
    I think the 74 STA is to bring the saddle more forward for the longer cranks. Check out the 14.5" BB height!

Recovering couch patato
    Aah, for the long cranks, yes...

I once had a custom Duratec made for a 2m03 customer. 648mm toptube, 140mm headtube, 330mm or so BB. He got 195mm cranks )came from 175mm=, and after 4 weeks of considering to quite cycling ebcause of knee aches, he loved it, and will never go short on cranks again.
    For some reason that bike turned out really short, 1250mm wheelbase, but fit like a glove. I love it when a plans comes together.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Cassoulet forever !
    Zinn uses www.hscycle.com cranks, just like mines.

They need a shimano XT square BB.

I'm 94cm inseam, and think that my 195mm are a bit too long....
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org