Your turn! Run your own end-of-year award shows!- Mtbr.com
    Recovering couch patato

Your turn! Run your own end-of-year award shows!

Hello gang,

Almost 2 in the night and sleep drunk, but this needs to be said now.

2005 has been another real cracker for 29". Biggest cracker since popping cherry in early '99, I'd say.

In February the first production Fisher RIGs were delivered. Half a year too late it seemed, and always out of stock. Singlespeed hardtail with splendid frame and fork, singlespeed, but killer price. Come August for the SSWC, they were already the new world standard in singlespeeds.

This has been the year of many new offerings to the scene. The Ventana El Capitan was the first FS that won't wet it's pants for bigger stuff than XC, very burly. The Lenz Behemoth marked the first 20-foot? huck on a 29"er.

I'd need to do lots of research to really sum the year up properly, but hopefully someone with a fresher memory will volunteer, or we'll put it up together? A lot of new stuff on the market, races won and more products in the pipeline, or just starting to hit the market.

Before the end is over, we might have to run a poll or two. We already elected our Man of the Year, Walt Wehner, and more than well deserved. He is the second award holder, Mike Curiak handed it over to him. Bob Poor aka Bigwheel got the first lifetime achievement(sp? lazy) award for being such a great 29" proponentlong before most of us wanted to know about it.

So what other award show (poll) to run?

Just some examples, you may have better ones.
    -Best new-for-2005-product?
    -Most innovative product?
    -Best 29" racer-proponent? (I like racing and nominate Cameron Chambers)
    -A lifetime achievement for an already legendary product (I think over a year, maybe 2 on the market, maybe we could give out 2 or 3 of those if applicable, it's been 6 years)
    -Most wanted tire that the market won't make us. A list of existing 26" or 28" treads that are just too small for us, and the manufacturers won't take orders, even not quatruple qty figure ones. Let them know!
    -most wanted frame that already exists in 26", same idea.
    -fork? we already have the Reba, Maverick, Pace and of course White Brothers. No reason to skip a ride or lose a race.

To do it properly, I suggest to first run a nominations threads to test the waters. Let people come up with a good representation for the award show thread to follow (10 nominees max).

I've run some award shows already, who's going to volunteer this time? Please be careful when setting up the poll itself, to do it all right first time, there is currently no way (also for me) to correct typo's.

Let's now be too tardy with this, start nominations threads immediately, I'll make them stickies if you want me to. After 24hrs the show host could set up the award thread and voting would end at the break of the new year in, say, Hawaii.

Some products and people have some credits coming, let's give it to them!

I expect at least 3 forum-worthy nomination treads with preferably different award show host, on my desk, before I do my breakfast forum checkup tomorrow morning.

And great holidays of course, yadda yadda.

Feel free to chat in this thread on what products became available when, who won which race when, and of course which polls to run. Nomintions just in the nominations threads please.

Now go.

J

Sep 2005
    I think Sherwood Gibson should be in there somewhere. He is a total 29er convert and has boldly moved forward in frame design. That and the fact his bikes rock!

what a joke
    "AquaJones" as the bike of the year.
    blah blah blah

Recovering couch patato
    89 views and not a single nominations thread :-(
    And I said so explicitly no nominations on here...

what a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    89 views and not a single nominations thread :-(
    And I said so explicitly no nominations on here...
    Ok ok, how about we have a "Bike of 2005" competition.
    blah blah blah

Recovering couch patato
    You just volunteered to run a nominations thread and award show for it! Thanks!
    Winner may be easy to guess up front, but it would be cool to have some good competition, bikes built in 2005.

(was) Big in Japan

Cmon Cloxxki!

Did you just pitch this idea on Christmas day, and then complain about lack of responses?

jeez. You'd hope people would be away from their computers at least on Christmas day!
    Ride.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    You'd hope people would be away from their computers at least on Christmas day!
    Hey I got bored.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Hey I got bored.

Me too!
    Ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0