you guys'll love this- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

you guys'll love this

Was visiting a friend in Ft Lauderdale & stopped in a shop called Big Wheel Cycles on Federal Hwy, seeing what was in stock... I ask about any 29ers, and get a look from the owner like I was from Mars - "29 inch frames???" Umm no, tires. He then proceeds to deny the entire existence of such a wheel, and when pressed, dismisses such a concept (implication: if it were true) as "a trend that won't last out the year." "It wouldn't work on a mountain bike... You see this road bike, this is a 700cc wheel - No way this is goin' on a mt bike - It won't take the punishment."
    Umm, I was just asking sir, but really, no lie, there are internet forums entirely devoted to the subject, companies & models basing themselves around it, etc, etc - Karate Monkey?
    He tells me he "knows the guy who started Surley... In Massachusetts. Knows the guy who started VooDoo... The guy who started... " On & on he goes, the whole list of personal acquaintances, which I guess, is supposed to enlighten me? One of the last things he said to me upon leaving his store was, "29 tires - Really?"

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by captaind
    Was visiting a friend in Ft Lauderdale & stopped in a shop called Big Wheel Cycles on Federal Hwy, seeing what was in stock... I ask about any 29ers, and get a look from the owner like I was from Mars - "29 inch frames???" Umm no, tires. He then proceeds to deny the entire existence of such a wheel, and when pressed, dismisses such a concept (implication: if it were true) as "a trend that won't last out the year." "It wouldn't work on a mountain bike... You see this road bike, this is a 700cc wheel - No way this is goin' on a mt bike - It won't take the punishment."
    Umm, I was just asking sir, but really, no lie, there are internet forums entirely devoted to the subject, companies & models basing themselves around it, etc, etc - Karate Monkey?
    He tells me he "knows the guy who started Surley... In Massachusetts. Knows the guy who started VooDoo... The guy who started... " On & on he goes, the whole list of personal acquaintances, which I guess, is supposed to enlighten me? One of the last things he said to me upon leaving his store was, "29 tires - Really?"

You sure you aren't kidding me???
    I reckon you were really in an Australian bikeshop?!?!?!

Reviewer/Tester

Upset

Australian bikeshop...thats for sure.. Ozzy bikeshops are a veritable desert as far as obtaining anything 29'er.

You mention anything to do with 29'ers here, and they look at you like you are a raving looney.

R.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    You mention anything to do with 29'ers here, and they look at you like you are a raving looney.
    yeah....I am sure that is the only reason they look at you and TR that way

Reviewer/Tester

Fo...

Where's my money ?

R.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    yeah....I am sure that is the only reason they look at you and TR that way
    Actually the only time they looked at me like that (other than when I mention 29ers) is when I show them that pic of you and Aqua in your hot tub.

Peace & Love
    the check is in the mail i am pretty sure.....

Recovering couch patato
    Great how clueless people in the bike bizz can be. Only the bike business! Try that when you're into fashion...

Next time bring a 29" tire pile picture.

Of course having an internet forum devoted to something doesn't mean it actually exists... http://www.network54.com/Forum/280824/

Needed Less ~ Did More

Man....

That is a prime example of why I used to rant and rave at staff! The only time I ranted and raved more was when I caught them stealing or slandering the company (they got sacked on the spot too!)

When will shop staff learn that they don't know everything and out-right denying it just makes them look stupid?

I had people approach me with all sorts of odd requests and ideas, I would sit them down with a coffee and google for it or ask one of the other staff or ring the importer / manufacturer....outright denial was never an option as it makes the customer feel bad and unhappy customers don't spend

Sometimes they were talking cross-eyed badger spit and had got the wrong end of the stick / only half read the article / dreamt it....other times I learnt something (and often got a sale!)

Sure you got the occasional nutter (Mr Sealed-pedals was my personal nemisis!) but you should never stop learning and questioning!

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Recovering couch patato
    One comfort to mankind is that if you really don't have a clue, you can always be a bike salesman (Al Bundy complex) :-)

If people rode bikes more often, more people ould have honest jobs.

Reviewer/Tester

Rofl..

..In his cowboy hat...lol..

R.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    From what I've seen, nothing good has ever come from Florida.
    I second that .

Nat
    mtbr member

Really I am that slow

Oj?

Perhaps Jimmy Buffet?

Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Too bad about their name

Big Wheel Cycles. Such cruel irony...

A_A
    mtbr member
    This type of stuff even happens in big reputable shops. I asked about 29ers last year at one of the "big" shops in the Boston area and the guy started talking about cyclocross bikes, he was finally rescued by another employee that had at least heard of 29ers. Just last month I was at the same shop looking at bikes and they had 5 or 6 29ers on the floor, very cool. An employee happened along and asked if I needed help.

The exchange went something like this

Employee: "can I help you"
    AA: "sure, I'm looking at these 29ers"
    Employee: "ummm OK, what type of riding do you do?"
    AA: "XC riding and the occasional race, basic stuff around here, rocks roots up down"
    Employee: "well these bikes are more for fire roads"
    AA: "you don’t say.... have you ever ridden a 29er"
    Employee: "not yet"
    AA: "well I'm pretty sure I want a 29er"
    Employee: "have you seen these new all mountain bikes? 5x5 and they pedal great"
    AA: "I'm all set; I think I'll just check out some shoes"

I know for a fact that there are some 29er converts in this shop I just happed to get the employee that hadn’t read the memo yet

mtbr member
    yea how about this....

we called a bike shop.

"say we are coming in to check out your moots selection. do you have 29ers in?"

yes. what type of riding/moots are you looking for..."

" i definetly am coming there to get a 29er moots ybb"

"how tall are you?"

"i am about 5'5"

"that's too small to ride a 29er. you do not want one, you want a 26 "

BAM we stopped turned around, went home, found another shop to sell us one. man that guy just cost his company a huge sale.but at least he heard of 29ers

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004

Ahem

Quote Originally Posted by crashedupderby
    I second that .
    uh, my wife's from florida...and she's very good:-)

but other than her... yeah, humidity, bugs, retirees, and tourists. Stay away.

mtbr member

haha

Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    uh, my wife's from florida...and she's very good:-)
    That's what I've heard too

mtbr member

Ignorance is bliss......

Quote Originally Posted by A_A
    This type of stuff even happens in big reputable shops. I asked about 29ers last year at one of the "big" shops in the Boston area and the guy started talking about cyclocross bikes, he was finally rescued by another employee that had at least heard of 29ers. Just last month I was at the same shop looking at bikes and they had 5 or 6 29ers on the floor, very cool. An employee happened along and asked if I needed help.

AA: "XC riding and the occasional race, basic stuff around here, rocks roots up down"
    Employee: "have you seen these new all mountain bikes? 5x5 and they pedal great"

I know for a fact that there are some 29er converts in this shop I just happed to get the employee that hadn’t read the memo yet
    LOL!

If I did not make the switch to 29'ers it would have saved me allot of time and money. Not ONE of my riding buddies will even throw a leg over a 29”er.

HIKE!

....nothing good out of Florida?

man, you've not seen this:

http://www.omba.org/Freeride/index.htm

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow

http://www.omba.org/Freeride/index.htm
    Whoa, that place looks like fun! Where exactly is it? I didn't see the location on the site (other than "Vortex").

...and bikecop's wife is excepted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_A

He's probably a regular on Bustedspoke.com A_A!
    Last edited by MMcG; 02-23-2006 at 09:13 AM.

HIKE!

Belleview, FL

www.omba.org

Never been there, but fun looking. A real eye opener as to what can/could be done in a lot of areas! Lots of fun per square foot.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    LOL!

If I did not make the switch to 29'ers it would have saved me allot of time and money. Not ONE of my riding buddies will even throw a leg over a 29”er.
    Hmmm....maybe it's time to find some fresh riding buddies.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by JST169
    Big Wheel Cycles. Such cruel irony...
    No sh!t.
    Big Wheel Cycles... Small Mind Personel.
    Sounds about right for Fart Lauderhell. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough. Too bad our company headquarters are down there and my family is just a bit north.
    With all the roots and bumpy trails, you'd think they would be embracing the better rolling 29er wheel...

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

Clue-Less (like most motorists)

typical dumbass encounter in most east coast (FL anyways) bike shops.

i left Jacksonville (i call it RatTown now) 20+ years ago & you couldn't pay me to live there. the east coast is flat, boring, & built-out. not to mention, it seems like all my old friends there are stalled out & getting fat.

at least here in Tallahassee the bike shops not only have a clue, but sell 29ers. amen to that.
    Think Big, Live Large: Ride a 29er.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow

https://www.omba.org/Freeride/index.htm
    Pic from the Dec 4 work day:

Now if I could remember who that is Rob, I think.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    "..."
    Last edited by WillitsBrand.com; 06-15-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Retired Willits Brand Bicycles Webmaster::
    http://www.willitsbikes.com
    South Austin, Texas ::

mtbr member

Hey Magellan

Quote Originally Posted by AD4E
    typical dumbass encounter in most east coast (FL anyways) bike shops.

at least here in Tallahassee the bike shops not only have a clue, but sell 29ers. amen to that.
    Last time I checked Tallahassee was still part of the state of Florida, making it "East Coast" even though you're on Central Time. Jeez talk about a screwed up state.

Let's all bash Florida!

mtbr member
    hey Fat Bob, nah, Tallahassee isn't like anything else in FL. real hills, red hills (clay roads), excellent singletrack, & more.
    if u ever get by, i'll show ya, and i'll pour ya a Snake Dog IPA!
    -steve.
    Think Big, Live Large: Ride a 29er.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    LOL!

Hehe...I got Jim to conceed that the Spider 29er ruled at SJT.....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    ...Let's all bash Florida!
    Is this where we can make comments about the highest point in the state being the top of a building, not a mountain?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Careful...

hey Fat Bob, nah, Tallahassee isn't like anything else in FL. real hills, red hills (clay roads), excellent singletrack, & more.
    -steve.
    I might take you up on that!

Yeah, I know. Folks from Tallahassee are really just Georgian's. I know it well, my in-laws were in Sarasota so the wife and I would make a side trip on our way down from Hotlanta. I don't miss that drive.

If you ever find yourself in Central TX let me know, I'll give you a guided tour of Government Canyon and autograph your DR if you bring it ;o)

Hmm brewskie wise, Fat Tire... can't get that on the east coast or west coast of FL!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by WillitsBrand.com
    One of my buddies who is a 29er believer, is joining an adventure tour company in Australia and adding mountain bikes to their offering, including 29ers. I believe he is also opening a shop over there.

Baby steps!

-steven
    Well anything he can do will be beneficial.
    So far the 29er movement consists of a handful ofpeople over here.
    The complaint I read on MTBR most often is that there is only a dozen tyre options.
    Over here there is only the Ignitor available as far as I know. And that is only available due to lobbying by VentanaOZ.
    Same goes for forks with the Reba being our sole option.
    Frame options are not so bad the Karate Monkey (when and if the distributor bothers to make them available) or else VentanaOZ offers the Ventana's, Niner's and Moots models. The Fisher and Kona distributors do not bother to bring in their SS or 29er models.
    So not only are our LBS clueless when it comes to 29er's, so are the distributors to some extent.
    As a result those of us who love our 29ers spend a bucket load of $ in the US and have our gear shipped to Australia.
    No big deal for us really because in the process we save a heap by doing it this way.

Student of the Bike

Flying Golf Cart!

Sorry for the hijack but this photo desrved to be posted!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yep, with one exception, everytime I've mentioned the very concept of the 29er in a bike shop, I've gotten blank stares. After that, it's always turned into question and answer about how, why, where, who and what....but hey, at least they're interested. Flat out denying the existence of something is a great way to alienate somebody.

My starting point is always to ask them if they have internet access on their computer. After that, I get them on to ninerbikes and let them read and ogle while I peruse the bike socks.

mtbr member

Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    Sorry for the hijack but this photo desrved to be posted!
    You web whore! Thanks again for the bars man. Is that in TX or FL?

Optimus Prime

Actually

Actually, I went to ride Razorback.
    New and improved, now with 40% more awesome.
    www.owenjsimpson.blogspot.com

Optimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Is this where we can make comments about the highest point in the state being the top of a building, not a mountain?
    I think my dad built that building.

I can't talk too bad about Floridiots, cause most people that end up here are from FL.

I had to go to Orlando to get away from all of the Floridians
    New and improved, now with 40% more awesome.
    www.owenjsimpson.blogspot.com

Student of the Bike

That's me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    You web whore! Thanks again for the bars man. Is that in TX or FL?
    Dude, I'm such the forum whore! Psssttt....don't tell my wife. I met Robert at noon and he's got the bars. I hope they work out well for you.

The golfcart pic came from the link above about the FL skilz park.
    later,
    CBaron

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

looks like Rich...

Pic from the Dec 4 work day:

Now if I could remember who that is Rob, I think.
    is that Rich from IMBA? W/ the beard...

AOF
    mtbr member
    I won't let my wife read this!
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

The Tortoise
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Perhaps Jimmy BuffetT?
    nope, that'd be Alabama.

I like endos

hey, for the record

I live in Lincoln, NE (which coincidentally Eastern NE is not nearly as flat as people say) but in Lincoln NE (pop. 250,000) we have 3 shops which stock 29ers. On is almost totally 29er. Just thought I'd put a good 29er word in for states without mountains.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

Work Shed...
    I've only had my paragon for 2 weeks and I've let 5 random people that I don't know ride it at the bike shop and at the trails.. Everyone has been pretty interested and open minded about 29er, although I did get the "only useful for fireroads" comment from a local shop that I dont go to anymore..
    It's not hip hop, it's electro.....

Jul 2005
    Hey, the Florida mountain bikers are muy respectable. They spank lots of fast guys when those guys show up in their state and ride the twisty, tech trails, with the recurrent really hard short hills. The other kicker is that with the weather there, they can kick arse year round!

ps. I generally find east coast riding more interesting, if less scenic, than out west. OMG, let the flames begin.

Expert Pushing SSer
    -steve.
    You mean 50 feet of vertical relief as opposed to 15 feet? Don't forget the oxygen tank. Sorry, just messin' right in line with the "let's all bash FL" comment. I would most definitely like to try that there IPA you mention. The humidity would kill me. I do not do well with it combined with heat. I will take my dry cold here in OR.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Meat Foot; 02-23-2006 at 08:44 PM.
    Tuff Schist

Members who have read this thread: 0