mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Yeti SB150 vs. Orbea Rallon

Theoretically, the SB150 looks perfect to me but these potential issues give me some headaches. In the last weeks, I have spent quite some time reading reviews and discussions, mainly in this forum.

I am looking for a long-travel 29er as a bike that does it all. In my case, this includes home trails that have some gnarly sections, 25 miles/3000 ft rides, occasional bike park visits, and multiple-day enduro trips to the Alps. After eliminating bikes like the Pivot Firebird 29, Ibis Ripmo, Santa Cruz Hightower LT, Scott Ransom, YT Capra and many more from my list it has come down to two bikes: Yeti SB150 vs. Orbea Rallon.
    A new Santa Cruz Hightower LT/Nomad 29er could also be interesting but I would prefer to have a new bike for the 2019 season and not have to wait another year.

Price is just one criterion and I guess prices in other countries are different, but here in Germany, you can get a Rallon M-Team for 5999 Euros MSRP while a comparable Yeti X01 build is 8190 Euros MSRP. Of course, nobody pays the MSRP and a 10-20 % discount is realistic. Still, it is a considerable difference. If I chose the Yeti, I think I would go with the GX (C series) build (5690 Euros MSRP) and have my LBS upgrade to a Grip2 damper, an X2 Factory shock, and 8020 XT brakes at a reasonable upcharge.

I have demoed a Rallon on the trail. However, it was an L and I would need an XL. Unfortunately, I was only able to demo the SB150 on the street. Both were not exactly the builds I would actually choose. It is a really tough decision between these two bikes.
    As my weight is above 200 lbs and not 160+ lbs like that of some reviewers (Pinkbike, Vital and so on) I have some worries concerning the SB150ís flexy rear and the very limited rear tire clearance reported by users like Streetdoctor and Rom3n in this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb130-s...s-1089983.html

Actually, I have also come across two very helpful threads that were both started by skinnybex:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb...k-1086725.html
    and
    https://forums.mtbr.com/orbea/orbea-...w-1056312.html
    And I was wondering why skinnybex does not have an SB150 in his quiver yet. ;-)

Basically, I have some questions to skinnybex and all the other users here who have already helped me a lot on my journey to find my next bike.

Do you think it is better to wait until Yeti will come up with a revised frame for the 2020 model - and Santa Cruz with a Nomad 29er or whatever it will be called? Would you expect any earlier revisions or at least statements from Yeti? How does Yeti usually deal with issues like these? Is it basically risk-free to buy an SB150 now because Yeti, apart from their current communication issues concerning the 2019 models, will solve any problems and make the customer happy?

And how do you think would the SB150 and the Rallon compare? Also if you compare builds in the same price range, i.e. SB150 GX with some upgrades vs. Rallon M-Team. skinnybex and other users as well as many MTB media were so stoked by the Rallon but this was some time ago and more similar bikes have come out since with the SB150 being one of the newest and most extreme ones. So this comparison might not be the typical one and would not be found on MTB websites as they usually compare bikes from the same year. However, I think this is a very interesting comparison between two very different brands and price ranges (at least in Europe) and your opinions would be very helpful for me and hopefully also for others.

mtbr member
    I do not experience any flexing on my bike.
    But note, I am using Carbon Wheels, and only weigh 150.
    (2.4WT Minion out back)

I have ridden both the Rallon and SB150 back to back.
    The Rallon is lighter, and snappier on climbs.
    The SB150 handles it on the descending though.

I think if you wait for a re-design, or a different model, you'll wish you had been riding the whole time. (If your climate allows)

A nagging thing on the Yeti for me is keeping up the service on the switch infinity link.
    Just adds another complexity to bike care.

Based on your comments, fitting wide tires, keeping weight down, and saving money.
    Sounds like the Rallon is your bike.
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2015 Devinci Spartan Carbon - For Sale
    2012 Specialized SJ - SOLD

mtbr member
    Hi! almost same issue here..I was considering sb130 and sb150 along with the rallon. I was buying blind, trying to import from USA. I wanted a good climber for the steep Chilean trails. I was almost decided for gx yeti when I came across the rallon and after reading tons of forums and reviews, looks, better specs, price + new local Orbea dealer with good prices and great service, made my mind. Went for a XL team with grip 2 upgrade..will pick up tomorrow. They even allow me to be on the build process to learn all the tweaks. I'll try to post a review in a few weeks.

I'm 6' 3" (191 cm) 97kg coming from a 2015 stumpy far carbon evo 29 and a fail YT Jeffrey.
    Last edited by pipots; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:44 PM. Reason: extra info forgotten

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Out of these two, I would take the Yeti. The geo. The build. The suspension. But never mind that. Earlier this year, I was also in the process of choosing the new allround bike for me, that will cover most of my needs, from guiding, big alpine tours, very varied terrain and conditions, plus some park rides. I am also from alpine Europe and coming fom the sworks enduro 29, after quite a bit of personal testing and a litlle less reading, i picked the firebird 29. Perfect pick.
    I hope you choice will be as good for you as mine was for me.

I miss f88
    I'm at the same point Lando is. I'm likely going to be moving to a place with much less space so trying to replace both my XC and DH bikes: looking for something that I can still ride on more XCish trails but that won't make me pine for my DH bike too badly when I hit the park. Was going to pull the trigger on a 150 but the issues thread scared me, especially as I don't have the time/workspace to work on my bike all the time. The Rallon looks like it checks a lot of boxes but trying to lose as little capability as possible on the descents given that I'm coming off a pretty plush DH bike (Podium with an Avy Coil)
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Hi Laxman...look at this video review comparison....I think is the best of both worlds...if you want to go a little bit further, go with the LTD with coil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ehVdzEJJ0

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pipots View Post
    Hi Laxman...look at this video review comparison....I think is the best of both worlds...if you want to go a little bit further, go with the LTD with coil.

I agree apart from the recommendation to go with coil. The Rallon is not suited to a coil imo not enough progression in the linkage unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    I agree apart from the recommendation to go with coil. The Rallon is not suited to a coil imo not enough progression in the linkage unfortunately.
    I did not like the DHX2 on it. The 11-6 I'm getting along pretty well with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando555 View Post
    Theoretically, the SB150 looks perfect to me but these potential issues give me some headaches. In the last weeks, I have spent quite some time reading reviews and discussions, mainly in this forum.

I am looking for a long-travel 29er as a bike that does it all. In my case, this includes home trails that have some gnarly sections, 25 miles/3000 ft rides, occasional bike park visits, and multiple-day enduro trips to the Alps. After eliminating bikes like the Pivot Firebird 29, Ibis Ripmo, Santa Cruz Hightower LT, Scott Ransom, YT Capra and many more from my list it has come down to two bikes: Yeti SB150 vs. Orbea Rallon.
    A new Santa Cruz Hightower LT/Nomad 29er could also be interesting but I would prefer to have a new bike for the 2019 season and not have to wait another year.

Price is just one criterion and I guess prices in other countries are different, but here in Germany, you can get a Rallon M-Team for 5999 Euros MSRP while a comparable Yeti X01 build is 8190 Euros MSRP. Of course, nobody pays the MSRP and a 10-20 % discount is realistic. Still, it is a considerable difference. If I chose the Yeti, I think I would go with the GX (C series) build (5690 Euros MSRP) and have my LBS upgrade to a Grip2 damper, an X2 Factory shock, and 8020 XT brakes at a reasonable upcharge.

I have demoed a Rallon on the trail. However, it was an L and I would need an XL. Unfortunately, I was only able to demo the SB150 on the street. Both were not exactly the builds I would actually choose. It is a really tough decision between these two bikes.
    As my weight is above 200 lbs and not 160+ lbs like that of some reviewers (Pinkbike, Vital and so on) I have some worries concerning the SB150ís flexy rear and the very limited rear tire clearance reported by users like Streetdoctor and Rom3n in this thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/sb130-s...s-1089983.html

Actually, I have also come across two very helpful threads that were both started by skinnybex:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/yeti-sb...k-1086725.html
    and
    https://forums.mtbr.com/orbea/orbea-...w-1056312.html
    And I was wondering why skinnybex does not have an SB150 in his quiver yet. ;-)

Basically, I have some questions to skinnybex and all the other users here who have already helped me a lot on my journey to find my next bike.

Do you think it is better to wait until Yeti will come up with a revised frame for the 2020 model - and Santa Cruz with a Nomad 29er or whatever it will be called? Would you expect any earlier revisions or at least statements from Yeti? How does Yeti usually deal with issues like these? Is it basically risk-free to buy an SB150 now because Yeti, apart from their current communication issues concerning the 2019 models, will solve any problems and make the customer happy?

And how do you think would the SB150 and the Rallon compare? Also if you compare builds in the same price range, i.e. SB150 GX with some upgrades vs. Rallon M-Team. skinnybex and other users as well as many MTB media were so stoked by the Rallon but this was some time ago and more similar bikes have come out since with the SB150 being one of the newest and most extreme ones. So this comparison might not be the typical one and would not be found on MTB websites as they usually compare bikes from the same year. However, I think this is a very interesting comparison between two very different brands and price ranges (at least in Europe) and your opinions would be very helpful for me and hopefully also for others.
    I'll let skinnybex know about this post..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hisforever
    I like the Yeti, alot, but the pri$e and issues have me scampering away for a little while.
    Just got my custom Rallon from the shop today. very happy, top quality build, went m10 with the better DT wheels. xt brakes w 200 rotor, has an xo rear der! and I thought i was getting gx!
    good luck, either way you will be happy...
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by nisti View Post
    I do not experience any flexing on my bike.
    But note, I am using Carbon Wheels, and only weigh 150.
    (2.4WT Minion out back)

I have ridden both the Rallon and SB150 back to back.
    The Rallon is lighter, and snappier on climbs.
    The SB150 handles it on the descending though.

I think if you wait for a re-design, or a different model, you'll wish you had been riding the whole time. (If your climate allows)

A nagging thing on the Yeti for me is keeping up the service on the switch infinity link.
    Just adds another complexity to bike care.

Based on your comments, fitting wide tires, keeping weight down, and saving money.
    Sounds like the Rallon is your bike.
    Thank you, Nisti. Yes, basically, I don't want to wait as there will always be some new model on the horizon. Having a new bike by April would be great. And from a rational point of view, you are right: the Rallon checks a lot of boxes. I guess it is not a completely rational decision. ;-)

Hi! almost same issue here..I was considering sb130 and sb150 along with the rallon. I was buying blind, trying to import from USA. I wanted a good climber for the steep Chilean trails. I was almost decided for gx yeti when I came across the rallon and after reading tons of forums and reviews, looks, better specs, price + new local Orbea dealer with good prices and great service, made my mind. Went for a XL team with grip 2 upgrade..will pick up tomorrow. They even allow me to be on the build process to learn all the tweaks. I'll try to post a review in a few weeks.

Congrats on your new bike, pipots! And thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by aanderle View Post
    Out of these two, I would take the Yeti. The geo. The build. The suspension. But never mind that. Earlier this year, I was also in the process of choosing the new allround bike for me, that will cover most of my needs, from guiding, big alpine tours, very varied terrain and conditions, plus some park rides. I am also from alpine Europe and coming fom the sworks enduro 29, after quite a bit of personal testing and a litlle less reading, i picked the firebird 29. Perfect pick.
    I hope you choice will be as good for you as mine was for me.
    Thank you, aanderle. As long as the decision between the other two bikes is not clear the Firebird 29, the Scott Ransom and a possible new long-travel 29er from Santa Cruz are not completely off my list. I was only able to demo the Firebird 29 on the street but I think that for taller riders the combination of a not so steep seat tube angle and rather short chainstays is not optimal. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by laxman2001 View Post
    I'm at the same point Lando is. I'm likely going to be moving to a place with much less space so trying to replace both my XC and DH bikes: looking for something that I can still ride on more XCish trails but that won't make me pine for my DH bike too badly when I hit the park. Was going to pull the trigger on a 150 but the issues thread scared me, especially as I don't have the time/workspace to work on my bike all the time. The Rallon looks like it checks a lot of boxes but trying to lose as little capability as possible on the descents given that I'm coming off a pretty plush DH bike (Podium with an Avy Coil)

Welcome to the club, laxman. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    I did not like the DHX2 on it. The 11-6 I'm getting along pretty well with.

I wasnít able to demo the bike with different shocks but from what I read in reviews and forums, I think robmac48 and tuckerjt07 are right. From the three options offered by Orbea, the two air shocks might be better choices than the DHX2. I think the DPX2 gives you more pop and more fun on mellow trails while the X2 should still be fun on mellow trails but is more tunable and performs better on long and gnarly downhills and maybe also for heavier riders.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    I like the Yeti, alot, but the pri$e and issues have me scampering away for a little while.
    Just got my custom Rallon from the shop today. very happy, top quality build, went m10 with the better DT wheels. xt brakes w 200 rotor, has an xo rear der! and I thought i was getting gx!
    good luck, either way you will be happy...
    Thanks, SHAHEEB. Congrats on your new bike. Yes, the 2019 M-Team build comes with the X01 derailleur while the 2018 model came with the GX.

Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    I'll let skinnybex know about this post..

That would be great, Yeti575inCA! Truly appreciate your support. Actually, I have read a lot of very informative contributions from you guys. I know that skinnybex and you were at the NorCal Tribe Gathering you had organized and I was hoping you would join the discussion. ;-) Letís see what skinny has to say.
    I hope we will hear even more opinions as the first comments here show me that I am not the only one in this situation. ;-)
    Last edited by Lando555; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:51 PM. Reason: corrected error

mtbr member
    Im on air shock too and im not even considering coil....X2 is way more than I need, ...but since LAXMAN said he was coming from DH, maybe he is a suitable candidate...look at this coiled review on speeeed!

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/20...-Sessions,2242

mtbr member
    Btw! here she is ...Yeti SB150 vs. Orbea Rallon-whatsapp-image-2018-12-31-12.34.41.jpg

Hisforever
    Very nice rallon, really like this bike, pedals nice and snappy! comfortable all day cruiser
    Jesus Saves

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Very nice bike, pipots. If I decide on the Rallon I think I will go for a matte stealth look but I also like the standard purple color scheme... which would be quite the opposite. ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Price is just one criterion but in an attempt to make my decision more rational and fact-based ;-) I took a closer look at the MSRPs in USA and Europe. Obviously, we are comparing different things price-wise depending on where we live. I know there are other countries with a strong Orbea presence (e.g., in South America) so this is just an example. I am not sure about taxes in the US. Prices in Ä include taxes.

Orbea Rallon
    M10: $5499 in the USA vs. 4599 Ä in Europe
    M-Team: $7699 in the USA vs. 5999 Ä in Europe
    LTD: $9999 in the USA vs. 8999 in Europe

Yeti SB150
    GX: $5199 in the USA vs. 5690 Ä in Germany (did not check other countries)
    X01: $7599 in the USA vs. 8190 Ä in Germany

Regarding components, the Rallon M-Team is comparable to the SB150 X01. The US prices for the two bikes are very similar ($7699 vs. $7599). However, they are very different in Europe (5999 Ä vs. 8190 Ä). Ok, Orbea is a European company and Yeti is an American company. Yet, these are significant differences. I hope this will not get even worse when some countries introduce stricter trade policies.

Summing up, you could say that in Europe the Rallon - especially the M-Team build - is a bargain compared to the SB150. On the other hand, I could get an SB150 GX with X2 Factory shock, Grip2 damper upgrade and 8020 XT brakes at a reasonable price. The Rallon still comes with better specs (especially wheels) but prices would be roughly in the same range. So I am not sure if this makes my decision that much easier but it could be interesting for some.

Dream it, Do it.
    For what it's worth, I didn't like how the Rallon pedaled but do I know many other riders are satisfied with how their Rallons climb.

https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...s-150mm-travel
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Considering the reviews and those who've gone from a SB150 to a Ransom I'm curious as to why you ruled out the Ransom. The Scott would definitely be my choice in that category.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    For what it's worth, I didn't like how the Rallon pedaled but do I know many other riders are satisfied with how their Rallons climb.

Wow, this is a very rare opinion on the Rallon. Donít get me wrong, I really appreciate your opinion. Thank you. I canít remember a single review by established MTB media (Vital MTB, Bible of Bike, mtbr, Pinkbike, several German media etc.) or users that was not very positive apart from minor aspects. I have demoed the Rallon (L instead of XL) on my home trails for two days and I was really surprised that at least on the not so long climbs there it climbed as well as my current 110/120 mm 29er which is a very good climber even in its own category.

Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Considering the reviews and those who've gone from a SB150 to a Ransom I'm curious as to why you ruled out the Ransom. The Scott would definitely be my choice in that category.
    Yeah, actually, you are giving me a hard time here. ;-) One of the reasons might be that none of my trusted bike shops is a Scott dealer. However, reading all these positive reviews (Bible of Bike, Vital etc.) and comments (e.g., Streetdoctor and Rom3n in this forum) made me curious and I visited a local Scott dealer to have a look at the bike and to ride it at least for some minutes.

I have no experience with TwinLoc and donít know much about the Fox Nude shock. Maybe I am just skeptical towards closed/proprietary systems. Also, I might be focused on the X2 shock and a Grip2 damper in the fork.
    However, the 910 build looks very nice. In my opinion, it already is a pretty solid build compared to the 900 Tuned. Somehow, I miss Grip2 damper and X2 shock... Would it make sense to drop in a Grip2 damper and remove the TwinLoc from the fork?

Alright, Iíll admit it... the Ransom, just like the Firebird 29 and an updated Hightower LT/Nomad 29er, is not completely off the list. ;-)
    How do you think would it compare here and what is your opinion on the 910 build? And will the shock work for 200+ lbs riders in rough terrain and bike parks?
    Last edited by Lando555; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:16 AM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I work at a Scott dealer and IMO it's a good idea to go Grip2 since on a bike like most climbing will be sitting. I would also swap the Twinlock lever to an over the bar one, and get a proper dropper remote.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Iím with you on this one. I demoíd M10 in southern UT and as sexy as the frame was the bike just wasnít much fun. It felt harsh and heavy no matter how many tire and suspension adjustments I made.
    I wanted to like this bike so much I demoíd it again on my home trails in Northern UT. This time it was the M-team. The bike cornered great, but again I actually dreaded climbing on it. The shop owner build his up with a 11-6 coil and said it was a night and day difference. Mentally, Iíve already moved on.

mtbr member
    Greeting and Happy New Year to everyone.

Not much for me to say on the Topic just because I don't have really any time on the SB150 so I'd not try and speculate much but what I can tell you is you wouldn't be dissapointed one bit with the Rallon.

I've been in Colombia for the past 2 weeks and I invited my friend down from Denver who's a very fast and aggressive rider and he's raced CES events and this summer will race BME on his Yeti SB6.

He rode my Rallon and I rode my SB5.5 since those are 2 of the bikes that I have down in South America and I gave him the Rallon because he's 6'1" and it fit him better.....He fell in love with the bike and he was riding all the big lines on the EWS stage trails in my Hometown of Manizales.

He loved the way the bike felt snappy and lively but ate up all the repeated Gnar and we have super steep chutes with big G-outs and the bike was a champ. I set it up for him in the Low Position "65 degree HA" and he was good to go.

Also we had 3 days where we climbed over 3,500 feet which he normally doesn't do that often and he was impressed with the pedal efficiency.

Right now I think the best 3 Long Travel Enduro bikes would be the Rallon, Ransom and SB150. I wouldn't even dare suggest the Ripmo as it's more of a Heavy Duty Trail bike.

The Sentinel and Firebird29 are also great bikes but the Sentinel lacks in a few areas and people either love or hate the FB29.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    My ideal Plan would be to sell my Ripmo and either sell my Sentinel or upgrade to the carbon frame or I'd get the SB150.

I know the main issue people have is the ability to run wider than a 2.4" rear tire on the SB150 safely without rubbing but honestly thats of little importance to myself as I generally like a 2.3" or 2.35" rear tire.

If that the deal breaker then the other choices would be great. Soon Santa Cruz will release a new LT 29'er....I expect that to be during the Andes Pacifico stage race in Chile which is in 2 months and that will be another player in the game but I'm personally not a fan of SC kinematics.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I work at a Scott dealer and IMO it's a good idea to go Grip2 since on a bike like most climbing will be sitting. I would also swap the Twinlock lever to an over the bar one, and get a proper dropper remote.
    This is exactly what I'd do

mtbr member

Spectre, you giving the Rallon 1 star for climbing basically loses any credibility for the review.

The Rallon climbs very very well for its intended purpose in both flip chip settings. Obviously the High "65.5" setting will be better in technical climbing instances as the BB is higher and the bike is a bit easier to manage the front end but the Low setting is also very good. The bike is a Split Pivot clone and does well at 30% sag even with the shock open. If pedal platform is added it rides higher in the travel and accelerates a bit better but still holds traction.

Not to try and rattle the cage but I found your comparisons on the SB4.5 way off the mark. Most of your critiques were the exact opposite of almost every person that has ridden that bike and owned it including me. And I also own the SB100 which I love but they are very similar in their pedal characteritics and also the way they handle.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I really don't see how anyone can take critiques from the "Yeti Tribe" about any Yeti bikes, or any others they may own, seriously anymore. The defense of their bikes and frame issues is mind-blowing. JMO.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I really don't see how anyone can take critiques from the "Yeti Tribe" about any Yeti bikes, or any others they may own, seriously anymore. The defense of their bikes and frame issues is mind-blowing. JMO.
    If your referring to me and my opinion I'm not exactly sure why you'd make that statement ?

My SB130 and SB100 are doing perfectly fine and I know in excess of 10 owners that already have SB150's and have zero problems. Obviously the tire clearance is going to come into question depending on Brand, Size and also wheel.

Yeti isn't the kind of company to search for favoritism from bike publications or reviewers in the industry and not a single review has been negative nor has it made any issue out of whatever few owners have experienced problems.

I think it's relatively easy to know who and what problems have been addressed in the forums and beyond that I'm guessing you have no experience on the matter personally ?

Anyways I'd always like to help any way possible and you can't really go wrong on most bike brands these days.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Thank you very much for your comments, skinnybex. I was hoping you would contribute your opinion here. I am glad you can basically recommend both bikes. I know that you do not own an SB150 and was wondering if it is because you are hesitating just like me. Basically, I think the SB150 is a great bike. Actually, my favorites would be the same bikes you listed: Rallon, SB150, and Ransom.
    The Ransom is a little bit special... I think it would be better with a Grip2 fork and a more enduro/downhill-style shock and I am not entirely sure about TwinLoc.

Very interesting speculation about the new SC 29er. Did not expect it that soon but you could be right. Mmmm... not sure if that helps me make my decision though. ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Spectre, you giving the Rallon 1 star for climbing basically loses any credibility for the review.

The Rallon climbs very very well for its intended purpose in both flip chip settings. Obviously the High "65.5" setting will be better in technical climbing instances as the BB is higher and the bike is a bit easier to manage the front end but the Low setting is also very good. The bike is a Split Pivot clone and does well at 30% sag even with the shock open. If pedal platform is added it rides higher in the travel and accelerates a bit better but still holds traction.
    Spectre, I was wondering if something could have been wrong with your demo bikeís setup as your review contradicts basically every professional in-depth review as well as every user feedback I have heard so far. And even my very limited 2-day experience with the Rallon is very different from your results.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando555 View Post
    Very interesting speculation about the new SC 29er. Did not expect it that soon but you could be right. Mmmm... not sure if that helps me make my decision though. ;-)
    I expect the bike to be announced either before or after that race which takes place February 18-24

Expect 160-165mm rear travel and 170mm fork with a HTA 64.3 degrees and STA 76.5 degrees
    I'm sur it'll have the v10/nomad shock placement and be good 2 go with Air or Coil

And the Regular HighTower will probably change to 140mm and get the revised shock placement and Geo adjustments as well.

Similar to Nomad4/Bronson3 = HTLT2/HT2
    Last edited by skinnybex; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:04 PM.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanInTheD View Post
    I think this can be a problem with fans of every brand and is not Yeti-specific. I also hope you are not referring to skinnybex. I think he is very objective here. There is limited tire clearance and (intended?) rear end flex. It seems this is not an issue for everyone but, unfortunately, some users experience significant tire rub.

mtbr member
    To be quite honest my Favorite brand is Devinci. They build bombproof bikes that are a blast to ride and they also adapt with the times regarding Geo updates. Also they are generally easy to find at a great price if your patient. Playful and can handle almost any rider type or size since they have a progressive curve. Also always great tire clearance.

I know the Spartan29 was given a shit review by PB but the Spartan 27.5 is so rad as well as the previous Troy, Django 29 and Wilson.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Don't disregard the FIT4 damper imo. Fit with the new Vorsprung tuning piston and you have a custom valved damper and you get to keep the twinloc.

As good as the grip2 is, all the marketing has hyped it up to be a game changer but in reality is it?

mtbr member
    Ditto
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Don't disregard the FIT4 damper imo. Fit with the new Vorsprung tuning piston and you have a custom valved damper and you get to keep the twinloc.

As good as the grip2 is, all the marketing has hyped it up to be a game changer but in reality is it?
    Thing is the twinloc isn't needed on the front, and arguably is a disadvantage for climbing. Without the twinloc in front the fork will sit lower during climbing improving the angles for ascending.
    Last edited by GRPABT1; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:54 PM.

Hisforever
    What was your opinion on why the sentinel is lacking? i believe you have the aluminum one right? that thing is a freeeekin tank, could that be a factor?

cheers
    Jesus Saves

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB View Post
    What was your opinion on why the sentinel is lacking? i believe you have the aluminum one right? that thing is a freeeekin tank, could that be a factor?

cheers
    They are a burly bike for sure, but (IMO) way too much importance is thrown at that aspect of them. A decent build on an alloy bike can get you to 15kg without running stupid parts that you risk smashing when racing & ~14kg for a carbon one. In EWS terms, that's a light bike. SH's winning bike is heavier, the Spec team bikes are way heavier, etc etc.

I'm happy to forgo a few grammes for some reliability, so if a bike designed to race to that sort of level comes in anywhere around those numbers then it's a bit of a non issue IMO. At 188cm & 80/85kg you are talking 1 or 2 percent of the overall system weight anyway.

Regarding the Sentinel & lacking points, I actually liked mine, save for a couple of niggles. I know they make a big thing about the mismatched travel, but for me when racing, I needed all the help I could get. At Finale this year on the faster rough bits the front end would take hits like a champ, but the back end would get wild & i was way too focussed on that rather than dealing with what was coming up. As a category mid pack EWS racer at best, I would say I felt a bit undergunned on it at points. I know there is talk of a Super Sentinel coming with a bit more travel coming, which sounds good to me. Sizing was good, geometry was great too IMO.

Rear shock setup took a while to get right, they have a fine balance of air pressures and volume spacers to perfect, it certainly wasn't a set & forget bike, I found depending on the type of terrain I was riding it would need a bit of a play with compared to other bikes. The paintwork on them is dire (standard Transition in that respect) & rear tyre clearance with a 2.5 WT on a 30mm rim was way too tight. I couldn't run that setup in the mud, as it was too tight on the rocker link, seat & chainstays. Mine had buzzed both.

I not longer have my Sentinel now, but I certainly enjoyed it as a fun bike to ride, not 100% sure it was a fast bike for me, but we're spoilt for choice with plenty of options now, so it went & i'm on a RAAW Madonna now, which seems to suit me better.

It's a great time to be looking for this sort of bike now. There are plenty of great options out there, being me, I would be looking at some of the leftfield choices. I couldn't consider the Yeti personally due to how they treated me regarding warranty issues in the past, so that's not an option & the Rallon is a bit of a step back from my current bike in terms of geometry, but i'd be keen to try one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I expect the bike to be announced either before or after that race which takes place February 18-24

Expect 160-165mm rear travel and 170mm fork with a HTA 64.3 degrees and STA 66.5. . .
    How do you know this info? Also, how do you know these travel numbers? Did you mean 76.5 STA? DO you own all those bikes you listed or you did own them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Expect 160-165mm rear travel and 170mm fork with a HTA 64.3 degrees and STA 66.5
    I'm sur it'll have the v10/nomad shock placement and be good 2 go with Air or Coil

And the Regular HighTower will probably change to 140mm and get the revised shock placement and Geo adjustments as well.

Similar to Nomad4/Bronson3 = HTLT2/HT2
    That is some pretty detailed speculation. ;-) But you could be right. These numbers would be rad. Yes, Rev, he meant 76,5 degrees STA.

mtbr member
    Yeah a big part of that statement is just the overall girth of the bike and I demo'ed the Carbon but own the Aluminum as it's my Bikepark/Shuttle bike now.

the bike pedals fine for it's very aggressive Geo "64 degree HTA" but overall it has a ton wasted suspension movement even when slow grinding and it's not even middle of the pack for getting up to speed hard on the gas "acceleration".

Having to use the 3 way shock compression dial is the only way to compensate and then traction is lost on the really tricky and loose climbs.

Other than those couple nitpicks the bike is amazing for the downs and stability.

The Carbon frame drops slightly over 2 1/2 pounds over my aluminum model bet even then the bike just doesn't feel snappy.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    How do you know this info? Also, how do you know these travel numbers? Did you mean 76.5 STA? DO you own all those bikes you listed or you did own them?
    I corrected my mistype on STA and this is what my insider tells me which could be true or false

Yes I own all the bikes in my sig
    Most confidence inspiring : Sentinel
    Best bike for any 25-50 mile ride: SB130/Ripmo
    Most Playful : 16' Troy
    Most fun to just ride Balls deep : SB100
    Most well rounded : Rallon
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Like the poster above mentioned....the rear travel tends to get blown through and on edge rather quickly. I had to immediatley add the .6 volume spacer and play with the rebound and comp clicker quite a bit to get the bike to feel balanced.

Since the front end has 160mm travel and a 64 degree HTA it handles everything well but repeated square edge hits and holes pound that rear suspension hard and the leverage ration is only around 11%

Also the paint is atrocious, about the worst I've had and even when you use frame protectant it'll sometimes peel under.

The tire clearance is also mentioned and I've ran a 2.4" in the rear and the aluminum has slightly more clearance than the Carbon but I wouldn't go bigger.

with those nitpicks it's still a tank and bully on almost any track. The Transition dudes Huck those bikes all day long and you can dial the bike to handle that for sure but in chunder/chunk/Gnar you lose all suppleness which a coil would surely help but then the bike isn't that progressive so you'd almost need a custom valved shock like an 11/6 and then need to run 25-50# heavier spring than normal.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

Dream it, Do it.

Not to try and rattle the cage but I found your comparisons on the SB4.5 way off the mark. Most of your critiques were the exact opposite of almost every person that has ridden that bike and owned it including me. And I also own the SB100 which I love but they are very similar in their pedal characteritics and also the way they handle.
    These were my impressions of these two bikes. The Rallon was noticeably slow climbing for me. How are you so sure that your impressions are the absolute truth?

I do realize that different people can have different impressions of the same bike. Other factors include the type of terrain, trail conditions, etc. So I don't think anyone should rely solely on internet impressions without actually riding a bike before making a purchase.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    These were my impressions of these two bikes. The Rallon was noticeably slow climbing for me. How are you so sure that your impressions are the absolute truth?

I do realize that different people can have different impressions of the same bike. Other factors include the type of terrain, trail conditions, etc. So I don't think anyone should rely solely on internet impressions without actually riding a bike before making a purchase.
    Because you are one out of literally over a hundred of people who have made public statements about the bike and your experience goes completely against everyone else's. The fact that the bike does pedal poorly when significantly undersprung also makes one wonder if you had the bike setup properly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

rear coil

I would go with coil,
    My experience with heavier riders is that coil provides a better feel and ride than air even with a proper set up the air suspension rides more rough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

You do lose credibility because you gave it a 1 for climbing. That is not a proper rating for any bike. If you gave it a 3 and said this didn't feel right because of this reason or that people would take you more seriously.

BKXC rides that bike with a coil for days through everything and hasn't complained. Yes he is sponsored but he's not going to ride a dog through all he does.