mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Yeti SB150 vs Devinci Spartan 29

Hey there

I am in the market for a new Enduro race bike. I had a 2015 Slash 9.8 and due to warranty I get a 2019 Remedy 9.9 frame. I will built it with some parts from the Slash and some new ones as a long legged and light 27.5 trailbike.

So in addition I am looking for an all out 29er downhill bruiser as an enduro race bike. I am doing about 5 Enduro races in the season plus the Megavalanche (cant do more due to family duties). So I tested already a few bikes, i.e. the Slash, the Rallon and the Foxy 29. I liked all of them with the Foxy and the Rallon feeling equally ‚spot on‘.

Right now, I am really into the new Devinci Spartan 29 and also considering the SB150. I hope I will be able to demo both this october. So what do you think will suit my needs better? These are the Pro/cons in my opinion just with the infos I have for now (without having ridden either of the bikes):

Pro Devinci:
    - looks fantastic (Green colour)
    - coil compatible with very progressiv design
    - just love devinci as a brand
    - Superboost (I am open to new things...)
    - threaded BB

Cons Devinci:
    - Superboost (custom build difficult)
    - some stupid components choice (guide brakes)
    - geo not as progressiv as the yetis

Pro Yeti:
    - progressiv Geo
    - perfect for custom build
    - its a yeti

cons Yeti:
    - looks of the downtube/BB area
    - only orange and blue colour (neither a favorite)
    - pressfit bb

so what do you guys think do these two bikes stack up to each other?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Im a snob and will not buy a bike again with press fit.

So Devinci ;p

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Hey there

I am in the market for a new Enduro race bike. I had a 2015 Slash 9.8 and due to warranty I get a 2019 Remedy 9.9 frame. I will built it with some parts from the Slash and some new ones as a long legged and light 27.5 trailbike.

So in addition I am looking for an all out 29er downhill bruiser as an enduro race bike. I am doing about 5 Enduro races in the season plus the Megavalanche (cant do more due to family duties). So I tested already a few bikes, i.e. the Slash, the Rallon and the Foxy 29. I liked all of them with the Foxy and the Rallon feeling equally ‚spot on‘.

Right now, I am really into the new Devinci Spartan 29 and also considering the SB150. I hope I will be able to demo both this october. So what do you think will suit my needs better? These are the Pro/cons in my opinion just with the infos I have for now (without having ridden either of the bikes):

Pro Devinci:
    - looks fantastic (Green colour)
    - coil compatible with very progressiv design
    - just love devinci as a brand
    - Superboost (I am open to new things...)
    - threaded BB

Cons Devinci:
    - Superboost (custom build difficult)
    - some stupid components choice (guide brakes)
    - geo not as progressiv as the yetis

Pro Yeti:
    - progressiv Geo
    - perfect for custom build
    - its a yeti

cons Yeti:
    - looks of the downtube/BB area
    - only orange and blue colour (neither a favorite)
    - pressfit bb

so what do you guys think do these two bikes stack up to each other?
    Sb150 is also coil compatible,, Rude won with it last week and let's see how he does Sunday on it..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah I know, but Spartan will have a more progressive curve i guess.

If I would just go by the looks, the Spartan would be my favorite.

I am shure they both climb just fine. Really wonder which one goes better Downhill. Spartan has quiet a bit more rearttavel, which I basically like...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Door number 3: Scott Ransom.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Truthfully, if you’re looking for dh capabilities in a progressive package that’ll take a coil, YT Capra.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Yeah I had a look at this one as well, not shure about the looks though (colour)

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Truthfully, if you’re looking for dh capabilities in a progressive package that’ll take a coil, YT Capra.
    No bottle - no interest

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Devinci makes great bikes; aluminum welded in Canada, DW works, looking at the geo and what Devinci has put together, that’d be my next demo if I needed a bike like that.

Brakes are like tires, change em to suit your needs. I got TRP Quadiem, damn good.

The Super Boost is what Boost should have been, embrace it, build a quality wheel, and go ride. DT Swiss Hubs, mmhmm.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a complete, no bikes have the parts I want, so you end up selling, tossing, or storing a bunch of price point stuff; who doesn’t have a bunch of extra bars/stems/seats/grips?

SRAM brakes suck hind teet.

Since when does color make difference in how a bike rides?

PF on the Yeti? Bummer that.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It doesnt, but you would buy a bike in pink if you dont like the colour right? And like I stated, the facts are only the ones I know so far without having ridden it.

But yeah, the right colour is important to me, as well as how the bike rides.

on the GX Ltd I would change brakes, tires, grips and cranks. The rest is ok, could live with GX Eagle.

I would prefer custom built, but it would be a pain in the ass on the Devinci since there are no Superboost cranks/chainrings available and hubs are also very limited.

mtbr member
    Ive never been into Scott bikes but that thing is awesome!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    It doesnt, but you would buy a bike in pink if you dont like the colour right? And like I stated, the facts are only the ones I know so far without having ridden it.

on the GX Ltd I would change brakes, tires, grips and cranks. The rest is ok, could live with GX Eagle.

I would prefer custom built, but it would be a pain in the ass on the Devinci since there are no Superboost cranks/chainrings available and hubs are also very limited.
    I just built a Fugitive with 157 Superboost Trail Plus DT 350 hubs and I9 was an option. I used my old Next R crank from my 142 spaced bike and bought a new RF oval ring, installed the ring flipped and CL is perfect.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    . I would prefer custom built, but it would be a pain in the ass on the Devinci since there are no Superboost cranks/chainrings available and hubs are also very limited.
    I just built a Fugitive with cranks (2013 XX1’s) that came out even before the boost 148mm “standard”. They work perfect on a superboost frame with a zero offset chainring.

Plenty of hubs available too. Went with a 150mm DT240 which has also been around for a long time.

Superboost is gaining popularity, I just hope it stops there, at least for a while.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Look forward to the reviews.

You've ridden two Spanish bikes that performed great apparently, but I get the idea that you want to make the very best choice.

I feel as if we've gotten to a place where great trail bikes need 150-160 forks but that the fastest enduro bikes, going down anyways, are going to run 170-180 forks.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Yeti is slacker, has a steeper STA for better climbing and a longer wheelbase... the only downside is less travel so... depends on intended purpose. If you ride a lot of gnarly park then Spartan but if you earn your turns and/or are a smooth rider then Yeti for sure. Downside to both is the price... you can get two Capras for the price of one of these so you could buy your own llama to carry your water bottles .

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I just built a Fugitive with 157 Superboost Trail Plus DT 350 hubs and I9 was an option. I used my old Next R crank from my 142 spaced bike and bought a new RF oval ring, installed the ring flipped and CL is perfect.
    installed the ring flipped?? how does that look?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I just built a Fugitive with cranks (2013 XX1’s) that came out even before the boost 148mm “standard”. They work perfect on a superboost frame with a zero offset chainring.

Plenty of hubs available too. Went with a 150mm DT240 which has also been around for a long time.

Superboost is gaining popularity, I just hope it stops there, at least for a while.
    I am not very into wheelbuilding, so excuse my dumbness, but how can you go with a 150mm hub when superboost is 157mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Look forward to the reviews.

You've ridden two Spanish bikes that performed great apparently, but I get the idea that you want to make the very best choice.

I feel as if we've gotten to a place where great trail bikes need 150-160 forks but that the fastest enduro bikes, going down anyways, are going to run 170-180 forks.

Good luck.

Thanks. Yeah I am awating the reviews also. Two reviews of the Spartan 29 say its an all out downhill bruiser and bible of bike states its an Allrounder (??)

I really liked the Foxy and the Rallon, felt very comfortable in sizing and bikes were fast. What I disliked about the bikes; Maybe like you say I want a bit more travel, at least this it where it goes right now. Plus you see the Rallon everywhere and both bikes have a linear suspensioncurve, so not very suitable for a coil...

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    The Yeti is slacker, has a steeper STA for better climbing and a longer wheelbase... the only downside is less travel so... depends on intended purpose. If you ride a lot of gnarly park then Spartan but if you earn your turns and/or are a smooth rider then Yeti for sure. Downside to both is the price... you can get two Capras for the price of one of these so you could buy your own llama to carry your water bottles .

Have FUN!

G MAN
    For parkriding/jumping I have a 2017 Propain Rage CF DH bike, so no need. But I guess the more travel of the Spartan means it might be a bit more capable on the very rough stuff? I dont know. Another plus for the Spartan is the higher stack compared to the Yetis, so maybe it gives more of a security Feeling in the steep stuff...? The rest of the geonumbers look like the spartan (edit: yeti) wins handsdown.
    Last edited by Foxy87; 10-01-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The chainring has the logo facing inward, otherwise looks normal.

mtbr member
    Another plus for the Spartan is the higher stack compared to the Yetis, so maybe it gives more of a security Feeling in the steep stuff...? The rest of the geonumbers look like the spartan wins handsdown.
    High stack is not a plus... look at most pro Enduro riders and they have their stems slammed low so as to keep more weight on the front tire at speed. A lower stack height still allows you plenty of adjustability with stem spacers or taller bar rise but not the other way around. And how do you figure the Spartan wins the geo numbers??? The SB150 is slacker, significantly longer wheelbase, slightly longer chain stays, longer reach (=shorter stem; better for DH), steeper STA (keeps the seat forward and out of the way when standing for DH), shorter seat tube (gets seat even lower for DH)... it wins EVERY category as a MORE aggressive Enduro bike except for travel and maybe BB height both of which would be insignificant if you're a decent rider.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sorry my bad, of course I ment the rest of geo the yeti wins hands down. You are absolutely right (see my point in first post)

I am not with you with the stack though: I had a 2015 Slash and it had a very low stack (58cm) and in steep terrain I didnt feel very secure. Also Pole Machine, which is probably one of the fastest bikes out there, has a massive stack. Plus all the newer Endurobikes have more stack then old ones. I dont want to spacer up my front or use 30mm riser bars because all of it minimizes reach, what I dont want.

but yeah of course, otherwise SB150 is more progressiv. One could use Devincis FRG Cup to slacken the HA by 0.5 degree and in my understanding without minimizing reachnumber.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    High stack is not a plus... look at most pro Enduro riders and they have their stems slammed low so as to keep more weight on the front tire at speed. A lower stack height still allows you plenty of adjustability with stem spacers or taller bar rise but not the other way around. And how do you figure the Spartan wins the geo numbers??? The SB150 is slacker, significantly longer wheelbase, slightly longer chain stays, longer reach (=shorter stem; better for DH), steeper STA (keeps the seat forward and out of the way when standing for DH), shorter seat tube (gets seat even lower for DH)... it wins EVERY category as a MORE aggressive Enduro bike except for travel and maybe BB height both of which would be insignificant if you're a decent rider.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    A lot of guys are slamming their stem, to get more reach but use higher rise bars to bring stack up. There are those who have long arms and they like lower bars.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Here’s a shocker: Different people like different stack heights. One is not better than the other. How a professional racer runs his bike isn’t super-relevant for most riders.

I’m tall with long legs and really long arms. I like high stack, too, and I’m generally not a slouch at getting down a mountain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

I don't like the colour of the Ransom either. The orange is OK but the green is yuck. I've thought of that though and some well placed frame protection Kirk the Rad or All Mountain Style products would pretty much completely hide the green.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    " I really liked the Foxy and the Rallon, felt very comfortable in sizing and bikes were fast. What I disliked about the bikes; Maybe like you say I want a bit more travel, at least this it where it goes right now. Plus you see the Rallon everywhere and both bikes have a linear suspensioncurve, so not very suitable for a coil..."

I will say that the quality of the suspension is huge, as critical as the amount of travel. I ordered the Foxy 29 frame and I purchased a Superdeluxe rear shock and had it tuned by Avalanche (along with some forks) to deal with the linearity of the OEM LR. That was my solution.

For me, my (also tuned suspension) Yeti 5.5, has amazing suspension for all conditions, so I figure 150 in the rear will be fine. But then I don't do 30' jumps so your experience may be different.

Ps. Neither the suspension bits nor the new frame have made it to me yet so I can't report back yet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Funny how Superboost is a pro/con. At least Divinci allows you to buy frame only unlike Pivot!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Funny how Superboost is a pro/con. At least Divinci allows you to buy frame only unlike Pivot!
    Apparently, Devinci owners are smart enough to buy parts and assemble a bike. <shrug>

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Ummm... no they don't, look at Pinkbike's recent bike check on Rude's new SB 150, he looks to have 20-25mm of spacers below his stem. Lots of guys love tall stack heights.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Spacers for higher stack and reduced TT/reach. A higher rise bar increases stack while keeping reach intact.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Depends how you align the riser bar... If you tilt it slightly backwards like a lot of riders do, its gonna reduce reach.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just sat on a size large on the parking lot. I am only 174cm (5´8.5“) but the large felt quiet good. Especially if I can put a shorter stem on it. Due to the steep seatangle the seating position feels very good. I believe on a medium I would feel to cramped. Plus I was able to slam the dropper all the way in and it was spot on with 150mm droppertravel.

And if I compare a large Spartan to a medium SB150, the geonumbers are almost the same.

According to the devinci site, I am in the middle of a size medium.... what do you guys think? Am I really that off here?

https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/attach...e-jpeg.779665/

what do you guys think?

Yeti SB150 vs Devinci Spartan 29-fe4fa136-95fd-4246-9078-0674ed473e07.jpg
    Yeti SB150 vs Devinci Spartan 29-ce8f15e3-3ebf-4c51-bec5-edc6debe970f.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post
    Ummm... no they don't, look at Pinkbike's recent bike check on Rude's new SB 150, he looks to have 20-25mm of spacers below his stem. Lots of guys love tall stack heights.
    UUUHHHMMM... THAT'S MY POINT!!! With a lower stack height you can adjust the stack easily with spacers or handlebar height. WITH A HIGH INITIAL STACK you have POOR OPTIONS for going lower!!! Kind of like a haircut... you can go shorter but never longer!!! Oh, and you should tell Aaron Gwin and Tracey Mosely that they're doing it all wrong... this post would suggest otherwise, even with Rude's bike (good thing he has the OPTION to go longer for different courses huh?):
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/enduro...hile-2018.html

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Here’s a shocker: Different people like different stack heights. One is not better than the other. How a professional racer runs his bike isn’t super-relevant for most riders.

I’m tall with long legs and really long arms. I like high stack, too, and I’m generally not a slouch at getting down a mountain.
    Having the ability to go HIGHER EASILY (stem spacers, bar height) is my point but how do you propose going LOWER with a bike with a huge stack height frame??? Inverted stem and flat bars? ON AN ENDURO BIKE??? Again, a huge stack height frame is NOT a benefit to anyone outside of the Jolly Green Giant! As much as I'd like to dismiss Yeti because of their outrageous costs, they hit it outta the park with the new SB150 and SB130!

Shocker!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Why isn't the Sentinel in your comparison list?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Having the ability to go HIGHER EASILY (stem spacers, bar height) is my point but how do you propose going LOWER with a bike with a huge stack height frame??? Inverted stem and flat bars? ON AN ENDURO BIKE??? Again, a huge stack height frame is NOT a benefit to anyone outside of the Jolly Green Giant! As much as I'd like to dismiss Yeti because of their outrageous costs, they hit it outta the park with the new SB150 and SB130!

Shocker!

G MAN
    You stated Pros Slam their stems, which is just not true.

But of Course you are absolutely right that you cant lower a high stack while you can spacer up a low stack. But anyway, Spartan 29 has plenty high stack so I can slam the stem and I dont think the stack will be too high then, looking at Otons Spartan, he has still some small spacers underneath the stem.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Why isn't the Sentinel in your comparison list?
    Want more then 140 rear travel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just sat on a size large on the parking lot.

what do you guys think?
    Just FYI, the published stack numbers for the Spartan 29er are incorrect. It might be a simple case of the Lo and Hi stack numbers being swapped over but the Hi position (higher BB) should have lower stack. Current published table has the opposite.

Certainly upsizing on the Devinci comes with a penalty in keeping a low front end, if that is your thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks.

I generally like higher stack for the steep stuff. It gives you more confidence I think.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Me, too. Don’t tell Gman, though, he might yell at you on the Internet to tell you your preferred setup is wrong.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Just sat on a size large on the parking lot. I am only 174cm (5´8.5“) but the large felt quiet good. Especially if I can put a shorter stem on it. Due to the steep seatangle the seating position feels very good. I believe on a medium I would feel to cramped. Plus I was able to slam the dropper all the way in and it was spot on with 150mm droppertravel.

And if I compare a large Spartan to a medium SB150, the geonumbers are almost the same.

According to the devinci site, I am in the middle of a size medium.... what do you guys think? Am I really that off here?

what do you guys think?
    I think Devincis are kind of short and if the large fits, get it.

Trail Ninja
    More headsets spacers = more flex felt at the bars. If you feel that is a good thing or bad, it's up to you. SRAM/Rockshox recommends to not go beyond 30mm of spacers. There's options to get bars lower with slammed stems, with Syntace "Flatforce" style stems and their Vector "Low10" style of bars.

I don't see stack as a bad thing. It leads to a position like Loic Bruni's with elbows behind the grips, instead of the old-school coaching one with elbows above and outward all boxed out, which I suppose is what happens to tall people fitting on small bikes.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Me, too. Don’t tell Gman, though, he might yell at you on the Internet to tell you your preferred setup is wrong.
    Actually, depending on my fork length, I will use a lot of spacers. Sorry I came off as an a-hole to you and curbhuck. Good info from petercarm that the Spartan's numbers are actually wrong.

Cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well lets agree that the Spartan 29 has a very high stack at almost 650mm in Large. So one can slam the stem all the way down. For someone who doesnt like a tall stack needs to look somewhere else.

I am definitely leaning towards size large, which is almost identical to e medium sized SB150. I would go with the highest build so I can just change the Brakes and a Shorter 32mm RF stem, otherwise the partlist is spot on. I don't believe fork Offset (its 51 on the highest build) will make a difference.

I will be riding the large spartan end of october and the medium Spartan beginning of November (if the large would feel too big).

Probably will be able to ride the SB150 also end of October.

mtbr member
    People arguing about bike fit over the internet makes me lol. Some argue that there is one way a bike should be and that is ignorant and plain silly. Things like stack height, stem length, bar width, crankarm length, seatpost length are not universal people. What works best is entirely based on a huge number of factors that are individual to the rider. The geometry of a frame is a starting point that gets you into the ball park of what the designer intends. From there you adjust to fit your measurements and riding style. One bike that feels amazing to a rider may never feel right to another rider because they just can't adjust it within normal ranges to get it right. It's not rocket surgery to get this concept. Of course there are top pros with their stems slammed and some with spacers under the stem. It's all about individual preference and fit relative to the geometry of the bike they ride as the starting point.

That said, that Spartan 29 looks cool, but I'm partial to Yeti. You're doing it right, demo as much as you can and get the one that feels best and is right for your wallet. There are so many good bikes now in this category.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The thing is, that almost all of the bikes I tested, they feel great and I cant tell that they are very different. This makes it hard for me to make a decision. If Spartan and Yeti feel similar, I will go for the one I think looks better...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Have you considered a GG Smash? It has 140 travel, but feels much deeper and more capable to me. I have a custom 160mm 29+ enduro bike (Waltworks, also ludicrously fun), and the Smash doesn’t feel like it is any less capable or less forgiving to me....threaded bb, can be swapped to two other bikes/wheelsizes, pretty affordable (relatively), ludicrously fun to ride....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    The geometry of a frame is a starting point that gets you into the ball park of what the designer intends. From there you adjust to fit your measurements and riding style.
    Couldn't agree more.

I have a Yeti SB66 that sits in the shed and I don't ride any more. I moved over to a 1st gen alloy size L Spartan that internet wisdom says is way too small (I'm 6'2"). After two years I got a secondhand XL carbon 1st gen Spartan that didn't really change the game too much compared to the L but it became my main bike for the last two years.

I've been road tripping and riding in the Alps since early July. The carbon XL broke at the main pivot on this trip so I went back to the alloy L, transferring the bits from the XL:170 Lyrik up front; Vivid Air at the back. To get it to fit I have to run a 75mm stem that I match with 800mm bars. I can absolutely push this "too small" bike to the ragged edge and have a complete riot on it. 70+km out in the Swiss Alps today.

So i haven't experienced "progressive" geometry but I'm having an absolute blast on the bike I have. I've been researching the new stuff that's out there and conceptually it all makes sense until the internet says I shouldn't be able to ride the bike I already have the way I ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeti and Devinci- Lifetime on the frames
    Scott- no fun trying to get warranty and it's short.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Have you considered a GG Smash? It has 140 travel, but feels much deeper and more capable to me. I have a custom 160mm 29+ enduro bike (Waltworks, also ludicrously fun), and the Smash doesn’t feel like it is any less capable or less forgiving to me....threaded bb, can be swapped to two other bikes/wheelsizes, pretty affordable (relatively), ludicrously fun to ride....
    Not my vup of tea, geo looks good though...

I really narrowed it down to the bikes I mentioned. I cant ride ALL of them and certainly not all bikes are available here anyway.

Now I just read the SB150 have a problem with lateral play in the shock/shockmount...

www.ninjichor.com
    Foxy87, what's holding you back from buying?

You looking to be talked out of it? I'm not. Both your options are dialed in the sizes you're looking at. In fact, I'll just throw in more options with similar geo: M Offering, L Ripmo, L Rallon... maybe a M/L Sentinel or M/L Foxy 29... maybe a L Pole Machine if you want longer... maybe a M Kona Process 153 29 if you want shorter... there's even more, if you are open to bikes that are "old news" which could be going on sale, like the Range 29.

It's a matter of all the ownership experience perks, whether it's your core values and want to support what each brand stands for, peace-of-mind for when the unexpected comes up, creature comforts like the ability to go packless, places to grip the frame for when you need to lift, transport, and stow the bike, general aesthetics, user-serviceability...

Can't ride 'em all, to learn how their chassis stiffness and suspension feels, but you can figure out if you can "live with" the ones you can ride, preferably long term. Don't want to end up being blown away for the first 6 months of riding, then feel somewhat jaded after the new bike high fades away and you find that the hot personality of your new ride can be a bitch at times. The little niggles you overlooked, because of some huge positives seemingly outweighing them, don't really go away easily. Maybe find something with cons which you can say are mere nitpicks, because you couldn't find anything better to mark as a con?

Are you open to waiting for "vaporware"? There's the Structure (linkage fork) bike and the Forbidden Bike Co bike (high idler?) to look forward to, that could make some waves. From the sound of things, it's more like Spartan 29 vs things that don't exist yet. Get it if you want something now, and start practicing on it sooner so you can put it to use in the races. You sound like you know what you're comfortable on, and I fully support your decision... people come up with all sorts of reasoning to pick a bike, and my personal reason is out-of-saddle comfort, which I determine by having a specific CS-WB proportion that I believe makes the bike feel balanced and easy to handle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Nothing is holding me back, I just want to testride the options I narrowed it down to. Thats it. I have no stress, I just want the new bike in the beginning of next spring, so that means I need to order in the next two months (depending on model).

And I dont want to be talked out of anything. Just curious what others think would be the better bike for racing, thats it. The decision is on me.

If you would have read my first post, you would have seen that I already tested a few bikes (i.e. Rallon). The other bikes are of no interest for me,

Pole is too long, the swiss Alps have a lot of tight switchbackes

Ripmo/Sentinel are nice, but I want more travel. (I know the Ripmo falls only short 5mm but you have to do the cut somewhere)

Dont habe Evil and Kona Dealers near my place.

So like I said, its the bikes I already mentioned, that I am interested in. Believe me, before I have narrowed it down, I probably looked at ALL the possibilities. Like you said you cant ride them all, thats why I choose to ride the 5 bikes I am most interested in, which are the Foxs 29, Rallon, Slash and the teo favorites Spartan 29 and SB150.

www.ninjichor.com
    You seem to too easily discount the Pole and long wheelbases in general... well, not trying to argue. Your decision...

Firebird 29?

Just laying it out, to know where the Spartan 29 stands. It doesn't have a water bottle cage in the front triangle. xD

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Not dismissing the Pole, in fact I like it, I was able to sit on a medium+ and liked it.

But one of my weaknesses is tight switchbackes. I want a long stable bike though and need to work on the switchbackes but the Pole will not heping with this one. I already feel the large spartans WB with 1232mm on the limit, cant imagine to wrestle that 1300+ wb around the switchbackes.

Firebird 29 is really close for what I am looking for,but no waterbottle, no love. Love to ride without a backpack but I am still a thursty guy ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nothing is holding me back, I just want to testride the options I narrowed it down to. Thats it. I have no stress, I just want the new bike in the beginning of next spring, so that means I need to order in the next two months (depending on model).

And I dont want to be talked out of anything. Just curious what others think would be the better bike for racing, thats it. The decision is on me.

If you would have read my first post, you would have seen that I already tested a few bikes (i.e. Rallon). The other bikes are of no interest for me,

Pole is too long, the swiss Alps have a lot of tight switchbackes

Ripmo/Sentinel are nice, but I want more travel. (I know the Ripmo falls only short 5mm but you have to do the cut somewhere)

Dont habe Evil and Kona Dealers near my place.

So like I said, its the bikes I already mentioned, that I am interested in. Believe me, before I have narrowed it down, I probably looked at ALL the possibilities. Like you said you cant ride them all, thats why I choose to ride the 5 bikes I am most interested in, which are the Foxs 29, Rallon, Slash and the teo favorites Spartan 29 and SB150.
    You are definitely looking at bikes that were on my short list so I look forward to seeing what you decide with comparisons.
    That said, sometimes you've just got to jump and choose one cause you can get comparative analysis paralysis for the entire season.
    Rest assured that whatever you choose is going to be rad as f*ck.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-07-2018 at 03:09 PM.

www.ninjichor.com
    Good way to say what I did in less words. Just pull the trigger already. You got this. The cons on the Spartan 29 are mere nitpicks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    As of now, without having ridden the two bikes, I would go with the high end Spartan 29 build and would change to

- Formula Cura 4 brakes
    - shorter 32mm RF stem
    - FRG Cup for 64.5 HA
    - Minion DHF 2.5WT Exo+ front
    - High Roller 2.5WT DD rear

We will see if that changes when I have ridden both bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well I have just ridden the Spartan in large. The Bike is fast but it doesnt feel very plush, which I was surprised by looking at the travel numbers. Probably got that feeling because I spent the last two days on my DH rig in the park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Its fast tough, set 2 KOMs on the Downs. Pedals pretty good as well.

mtbr member
    I'd personally go with the Spartan if I was you. Listen Bro, not many bad bikes these days and they all have there warts somewhere if you look hard enough but remember that sometimes a bike needs some TLC to get it right where you want it to give back to you in spades.

I think the Pro's of the Spartan 29 far outweigh almost all the other bikes you mentioned. I'm a Yeti guy through and through but I just can't stand behind recommending that bike at this moment without feeling like you'll end up pissed if you can't stand the way the rear end has compliance = flex designed in which is leading to tire rub and poor clearance on even 2.3" tires.

With the Devinci you get the most durable built Carbon bike ever made and a company that will 100% have your back for the lifetime of the frame. You also get really solid Geometry numbers across the size range so you'll be dialed on the up's and downs with a great riding position and nothing to extreme nor lacking. The WB and reach numbers are right where you wan't them.

Split Pivot is outstanding and I only prefer Switch infinity to it so you have such a great pedal platform and the bike will be efficient for power transfer and also traction when run in open mode.

You get two personalities with a high and low setting and both are viable depending if your doing a big climbing day or if your doing shuttle runs where you flip it to low.

The paint and finish are some of the best in the business and you also get great tire clearance. Regarding Superboost I may agree it's both a plus and a con currently but in 2 more years I'm sure all mid to long travel bikes will be using it.

Buy the S29 and spend a little time dialing in that Super Deluxe as I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot after a few more rides and be proud of the choice you made.
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Ibis Ripmo
    Yeti SB4.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks mate, appreciate it. I really liked it with the high stack giving confidence inthe fast/rough stuff.
    There are two things about the Spartan I am not shure about:

One of them is sizing. I rode the large which felt good and actually not too big (big but not too big). But Devinci says I am right in the middle of a medium (174cm), which makes me insecure about my choice. If I take the large I get very progressiv geo numbers plus I can still run a 150mm dropper and put a 32mm stem on it. The medium is not very progressiv in the numbers and I want the bike as a race bike.

Second the „harsh“ suspension. There is nothing to dial in with the SuperDrluxe as you can only change rebound. Airpressure was right as I was using all the travel so I dont think adding or removing tokens would change the feel.
    But like I said maybe its just my „wrong“ feeling as I was spending the last two days on a coil Propain Rage CF, and the back end of that bike smoothes out the trail incredible well...

I am very disappointed with the problems the SB150 has, but I still try to ride that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    FB29 FTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    No bottlecage

Here is a short vid of my testride with the Spartan 29:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFEfU0mAujk
    Last edited by Foxy87; 10-24-2018 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yeti is not able to deliver a testbike until 20th November... untill then we will probably see snow. First LBS said it comes in mid October. Wonder if the delay has something to do with the known issues.That would make my decision easy...

www.ninjichor.com
    Dang man, I have so much envy of your trails that I had to stop watching at 5 minutes in just to say so. xD

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Dang man, I have so much envy of your trails that I had to stop watching at 5 minutes in just to say so. xD
    Agreed! Those trails are rad. Where are they I wonder?

This place needs an enema
    Well I have just ridden the Spartan in large. The Bike is fast but it doesnt feel very plush

I'd describe the Yeti the same way. In fact much closer to harsh than plush.

I'd describe the Foxy as plush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Yeah I am lucky, and you know what is the best part? 3/4 of the uphill for these trails on the vid you can take a train to get up. One loop takes about 1h.

Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Agreed! Those trails are rad. Where are they I wonder?

These are in switzerland, Eastern part.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'd describe the Yeti the same way. In fact much closer to harsh than plush.

I'd describe the Foxy as plush.
    Hmm, I testrode the Foxy 29 and it didnt feel plush, but a bit softer than the Spartan, despite less travel.

Are you talking about the SB150?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So today I was able to testride the SB150. The medium felt very good sizewise, pretty similar to the Large Spartan I rode.

Unfortunately I was only able to ride it on mellower terrain, as the bikeshop was 1h away, so I was not able to ride it on the trail you see in the video above.

Climbing with its 77 SA was very good. Rear end bobed a bit as you cant lockout the X2 but nothing too bad. Downhill (as you can say on this mellower trail) was good too, its hard to really make a judgement.

So short story: I am not any wiser and am torn back and forth. Both bikes are great. If I would just go by the looks, I would probably go with the Spartan... I will sit on a medium Spartan 29 medium and then make my decision in the next few weeks... Any more inputs are welcome. Maybe pinkbikes upcoming 29er LT travel will give some more inputs to make a final decision.

if the weather plays nice,me and my buddy try to get both bikes out on my trails within the next two weeks for back to back testing.

mtbr member
    it doesnt feel very plush,
    Noone of the Devincis do. They need to be worked, man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah maybe wrong expectations looking at the travel numbers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Having had both these bikes on my shortlist I just bought a Norco Range. It doesn't win on looks but gives me the geo I was after (my race bike for the coming season). Geo-wise my xl matches within millimetres an xl Rallon. Suspension is proper progressive though. Lyrik RCT3 and super deluxe rct debonair. If the air shock doesn't cut it I'll try a coil on it

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I consider the Range as fairly conservative looking at the geometry - not exactly what I would choose as a racebike. Nice bike nonetheless👍🏼

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I consider the Range as fairly conservative looking at the geometry - not exactly what I would choose as a racebike. Nice bike nonetheless👍🏼
    I see where you are coming from. Compared to where I've come from this is radical and will be a learning experience. Comparatively, the Range seat tube is one size longer for all the other frame numbers. Seat tube steepness isn't steep in 2019 terms. Wheelbase is same as the yeti in size L. Fork is the same distance away. If you pump up the fork to a 170, the BB height, reach and stack would be nearasdammit the same. That's a bike I'll happily take as a compromise. Over in the UK I got the whole bike for the same price as a yeti frame.