mtbr member
    Nov 2010

YETI SB 5.5 Offset Bushings?

Hey 5.5 owners...

Anyone installed offset bushings? I like the idea of going a little slacker and lowering the BB just a bit.

I can't find any specific info on exactly how much the offset bushing(s) changes the bikes geo numbers? Also...if you have switched these out and are happy with the results...where did you buy the bushings?

Thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Using google, "offset shock reducers" brought up many hits. Bushings are not offset, the reducers/hardware is what's offset. These are often incorrectly called (and sold as) "offset bushings". The bushings are the tan bits that the reducers/hardware rotate on.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonHH View Post
    Hey 5.5 owners...

Anyone installed offset bushings? I like the idea of going a little slacker and lowering the BB just a bit.

I can't find any specific info on exactly how much the offset bushing(s) changes the bikes geo numbers? Also...if you have switched these out and are happy with the results...where did you buy the bushings?

Thanks!
    Jeron from www.offsetbushings.com here!

We've produced loads of sets for the SB5.5, along with all SB bikes in fact. You're looking at around 1 degree of adjustment with a pair.

Just make a note of your frame and shock models when ordering this - https://www.offsetbushings.com/produ...-bushings-pair

We have the sizes on file already, so no need to worry about that.

Jayem - 'offset bushings' was the term coined by magazines years ago, so we went with it to reduce confusion in the market place

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Order a set for my 5.5 from you today, can't wait to try them out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just be aware that these bushing will not only slacken the HTA but also the STA. Your bike will descend better and climb worse. Not to mention you will lose about 5mm of travel out of your shock. So the Yeti 5.5 at 140mm of rear travel becomes about 135mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would consider going with an angle set instead if you can on a Yeti. Angle set will slacken the HTA and steepen the STA giving you a better descending and better climbing bike. Its a win win.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeron View Post

Jayem - 'offset bushings' was the term coined by magazines years ago, so we went with it to reduce confusion in the market place

Hope that helps!
    I know, it makes me sad. It also pisses me off when I'm looking for bushings and searches keep turning up reducer kits.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    I would consider going with an angle set instead if you can on a Yeti. Angle set will slacken the HTA and steepen the STA giving you a better descending and better climbing bike. Its a win win.
    No, it won't. It might marginally steepen the STA, but think about it for a while, it's a very slight difference. The difference in how slow your steering is and how much less weight is on the front is much more evident when climbing. It is absolutely worse climbing steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Just be aware that these bushing will not only slacken the HTA but also the STA. Your bike will descend better and climb worse. Not to mention you will lose about 5mm of travel out of your shock. So the Yeti 5.5 at 140mm of rear travel becomes about 135mm of travel.
    You do not lose travel when using Offset Bushings. This would only be if you're changing the stroke / didn't have clearance. You're simply adjusting the start and end points of the travel.

Geometry is set up for the average rider, so if you're more concerned with the downs than the ups then that's the target market for Offset Bushings. It's all small changes, but it's enough to make a difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    No, it won't. It might marginally steepen the STA, but think about it for a while, it's a very slight difference. The difference in how slow your steering is and how much less weight is on the front is much more evident when climbing. It is absolutely worse climbing steep stuff.
    Yes it will. Angleset adjusts the front triangle by the degree you choose. Example: if you go one degree, then HTA slacks out one degree and STA steepens .6 degrees. Itís simple. Better climbing and better descending. Climbing is virtually unaffected because the STA is in a more better position for that. The little incremental changes in STA matter in climbing. The angleset widens the wheelbase by moving the front fork forward and out by the desired degree, thus bringing the seat tube forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jeron View Post
    It's all small changes, but it's enough to make a difference.
    Exactly what the angleset does.
    Last edited by Rev. 14; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:00 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes it will. Angleset adjusts the front triangle by the degree you choose. Example: if you go one degree, then HTA slacks out one degree and STA steepens .6 degrees. Itís simple. Better climbing and better descending. Climbing is virtually unaffected because the STA is in a more better position for that. The little incremental changes in STA matter in climbing. The angleset widens the wheelbase by moving the front fork forward and out by the desired degree, thus bringing the seat tube forward.

Exactly what the angleset does.
    Thanks. I have done this myself. It unweights the front more and makes climbing more difficult. Also slows down the steering so quick line changes on more level ground are slower. The marginal gain in STA is not offset by the greater slackening of the HTA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Wouldn't an angelset shorten the already kinda short reach on a 5.5? Not looking to do that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah you have a point, it would shorten the reach. They all have their trade offs, that is: angle set or off set bushings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ob917 View Post
    Wouldn't an angelset shorten the already kinda short reach on a 5.5? Not looking to do that.
    Yes, that's correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Do anglesets that work on integrated headsets exist? Asking for a different bike, but it seems like it's the cups that are usually offset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Yeah you have a point, it would shorten the reach. They all have their trade offs, that is: angle set or off set bushings.
    That's why I went with the bushings. Plus they are only $30 and easy to swap back and forth. Lots of guys like the slight change of the bushings on the 5.5. Seems the World wide cyclery guys are on board with their personal 5.5s that's what got me interested in trying them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Got my bushings on New Years Eve and got my first ride with them installed yesterday. 11 mile descent in Southern California. I didn't notice any problems climbing with the geo change, although it was just short tech sections not the toughest climbing around here so my feelings on that may change but I don't think so. But the bike felt really aggressive on the fast descending, more so than normal and I'm pretty stoked on the change. It's a cheap and easy mod that's always reversible, I would recommend it if you want the bike to really charge the fast sections of trail. Thanks to the guys at offsetbushing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did you notice a loss in rear shock travel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Did you notice a loss in rear shock travel?
    No, there is no change in travel.