Thread: Yeti 5+ niner

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Yeti 5+ niner

Been shopping bikes for a while. I demo'd quite a few rigs and was open to any brand/model. Ended up sticking with the tribe after trying the 5+ on the niner wheels.

I'm 5'10 this is a medium and it fits perfectly. I generally found if I was on the cusp between a m/l it was best to go with the medium especially on the 29 bikes.

Build for now is the XT/SLX with the turq wheels (DT swiss 350/XM421), Krest 2.35's, RF carbon bars (770), MRP AMGv2 and a mucky nutz fender.

The bike is super playful, I love how easily it leaves the ground and just encourages you to go faster. Been running the tires at 30/28 traction has been incredible, the moist dirt lately sure helps with that.

The Fox 34 grip is very plush, I do think it needs a bit more ramp up, got a few ideas for that. The shock definitely needs a bit more tuning just going to start with some vol spacers and go from there.

I've got a few rides on it including a great 19 miler on a greasy day at Annadel, stay tuned for more.

Yeti 5+ niner-storm1.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-storm2.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-storm3.jpg

Deviant
    Nice

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike! Nice colors too, Had a Yeti demo bike for a day recently and was super impressed with the rear suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mounted up a set of Rekon 2.6's on these 25mm id (30mm od) rims. They measure out to about 2.45, I always expect Maxxis to run narrow and even more so with the rim id. The Krests measured to 2.32

Ran them at around 25lbs and that was too much, probably going to back off to 20 for now and go from there. I'm 180lbs but ride aggressively and prefer starting on the high end for pressure.

Very stable, great traction, cornering is only going to improve with pressure tuning but was still better than stock Krests. Speed was impressive, fastest MPH on a particular segment to date.

Post ride

Yeti 5+ niner-rekon26.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-rekon262.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Put some orange stuff on the bike. The MRP cartrige did what I wanted to the fork, got it at 90lbs and 4 clicks ramp, feels great. The frame protection is All Mountain Style

Ran the tires at 20lbs and that was much better

Last thing is the shock, feels good on slower technical but when speeds get higher or hits are bigger it feels lacking. Thinking of going DPX2 or X2

At this point I have about 60 miles on the bike and still love it, tuning is something I enjoy, looking forward to getting the most out of the bike.

Yeti 5+ niner-mrpcart.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-storm4.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got a bunch of rides on the bike and made some more changes.

While the Switch Infinity definitely works it doesn't magically make your legs stronger. I went with a Box 11-46 and paired with an XT trigger. The double shift alone on the XT is worth it over the SLX.

The stock DPS evol shock just wasn't doing it for me. I found it was good on slower technical riding but when speeds picked up and hits got bigger I found it was very lacking. The rear felt very active and didn't settle well into high speed corners. I tried some tuning with air and rebound but overall couldn't get it to where I found a good balance.

My LBS gave me a great deal for the DPX2 upgrade and after only one ride I can tell it was worth it. The rear end feels more planted but still pops when you ask it to. Need to put some more miles on it for now but overall really stoked.

Yeti 5+ niner-yetixt.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-yetiforty6.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-yetidpx2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd like to see a pic of the rear tire clearance to the seattube and stays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd like to see a pic of the rear tire clearance to the seattube and stays.
    With the thick frame protection I use there is about 7mm from the thickest knob. Wider rim would probably push it even further away

Yeti 5+ niner-yeticlearance.jpg

mtbr member
    Have you done ay measurements with the 29er wheels on it? Id be really interested in how high the BB is with the wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Pride View Post
    With the thick frame protection I use there is about 7mm from the thickest knob. Wider rim would probably push it even further away

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yeticlearance.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	1182537
    So 7mm from the top of the tire to the frame?
    Those tires could go on 35mm inner rims to allow you to run at a lower psi (depending on rim hits)for a bigger footprint. Although Maxxis doesn't seem to produce a very rounded profile design when compared with say a Bontrager XR4 Team 29 x 2.6. The front would be more important to get on a wider rim anyway for cornering grip. The Fox fork should have plenty of room for a wider rim. The XR4 is out of stock. You'd have to get on the list at a dealer for the next shipment. $65. A XR4 could go on a 39-40mm front inner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll get some measurements this week. I will go with a wider rim once these bite the bucket. There are some areas I ride that a 27.5 plus setup would really be best but for now I'm happy with the setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That is one sweet build- I had no idea you could run this bike as a 29er. Yeti says nothing about it on their website. I like this as an alternative to the 5.5... lighter, more front travel, nice geometry. Curious about the BB Height as well.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post
    That is one sweet build- I had no idea you could run this bike as a 29er. Yeti says nothing about it on their website. I like this as an alternative to the 5.5... lighter, more front travel, nice geometry. Curious about the BB Height as well.
    It's on the site just buried in the FAQ's. I do agree though that they should make this more clear though. It only adds to the marketability of the bike. I would definitely love to throw a leg over this one!

Yeti 5+ niner-screen-shot-2018-02-12-5.16.24-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman View Post

Thanks, BB height is as Yeti mentions 13.5in. Oddly enough I rode the 5+ last year and was told it wouldn't work as a niner. My LBS however has sold a few of these in similar kit its a nice package and overall was less than building the 5.5 the way I wanted

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Been riding more and decided to go a different route with tires till I go with wider rims. Mounted up DHF 2.5WT front and DHR2 2.4 WT rear.

Last thing on this bike will be the brakes, the SLX's while powerful enough don't do it for me in lever feel, and inconsistent bite point.

As it sits

Yeti 5+ niner-yetitrail.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What sets do you like more 27.5+ or 29? ...differences? Ive heard from Yeti that the 5+ with 29er tires is an in between the 4.5 to 5.5 model

mtbr member
    Reminds me of the Pivot 5.7c run as a 27.5. Never worked that well, but I'm impressed that you could get 29x2.6 Rekons on there...or 29x2.5 WT's. Sounds like a very workable setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've ridden the 5+ with the 27.5 fat tires, its a cool option but for my riding the 29'er is my preference. Need to do some re-dialing with the new tires felt fast but harsher obviously there's less squish.

Here's a couple riding videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7l5DyRANXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6tWaevHGNs&t

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    After riding more and hitting some bigger features the fork was really starting to show its problems. Picked up a factory 36 locally and was blown away by the difference. Sending this one particular line used to be very sketchy but felt like butter with the new front end. Definitely need to ramp up the rear more now. Tires have been great around 26lbs front and rear

One thing worth mentioning the 36 is a 180 direct post mount, the 34 required a bracket for my 180rotor. You need shorter caliper bolts, can't cut the old ones either, they aren't fully threaded.

Yeti 5+ niner-dsc_8075-01.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-yetigarden-01.jpg
    Last edited by Arctic Pride; 05-31-2018 at 04:02 PM. Reason: details

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As it sits. The 36 really has been a big step up in the front end I feel like I'm able to be way more aggressive. I think the rear needs more dialing based upon the front end improvements. This bike has come a long way since day one, really happy with it these days and its been cool tuning, feeling the changes along the way. Still not pumped on the SLX brakes but the stopping power has always been there.

Yeti 5+ niner-yetiside.jpg

Out spokin'
    Sweet looking bike! Considering the brew you're drinking in this photo, you should consider doing this race.
    =sParty

Name:	DSC_8075-01.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	1201272
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Sweet looking bike! Considering the brew you're drinking in this photo, you should consider doing this race.
    =sParty
    That actually looks like a lot of fun! I've yet to do a century on the MTB in a single go

mtbr member
    Can you tell us more about the tire change? Does the 2.5 DHF feel faster or slower than the 2.6 recons? Are they close to the same size? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Recons need a wider rim to mount properly. The profile becomes too rounded and cornering traction wasn't too great because of that (25 mm id rim). The DHF/R does not suffer from the rounded profile and leans more confidently onto the edges. There wasn't much difference in speed. I also prefer the tread pattern on the DHF/R compared to the Recons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Capped this build off with some Saints. Had been dreaming to get out after traveling and the day after I mounted them up I opted to just go for a chill CX ride which sent me home with a complete ligament separation in my shoulder. 6-8wks in a sling.

just going to have to continue drooling over new brakes

Yeti 5+ niner-saintsrsz.jpg

Yeti 5+ niner-img_20180822_090004_765.jpg

mtbr member
    You're idea of "chill CX ride" is very different from mine, jk. Quick recovery man I hope you can get back on the bike soon!
    Capped this build off with some Saints. Had been dreaming to get out after traveling and the day after I mounted them up I opted to just go for a chill CX ride which sent me home with a complete ligament separation in my shoulder. 6-8wks in a sling.

just going to have to continue drooling over new brakes

Name:	saintsrsz.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	1213218

Name:	IMG_20180822_090004_765.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	1213219
    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chestont View Post
    You're idea of "chill CX ride" is very different from mine,
    as i was laying on the ground waiting for the wife (i told her i was going to get an uber but she insisted ) i said to my self "shoulda gone mountain biking"

in all honesty i got out pretty light considering. Another passing thought was that my last major injury was about 10 years ago so i was about due i suppose

mtbr member
    Holy Cow! Hope you heal quickly!

Out spokin'
    I opted to just go for a chill CX ride which sent me home with a complete ligament separation in my shoulder. 6-8wks in a sling.
    Damn! So sorry to hear this, best of luck on your recovery. That fork failure looks heinous.

Capped this build off with some Saints.
    I want to get some 4-pots to replace my 2-pot XTRs and have been waiting for Saints to get cheap since Shimano introduced XT- & Deore-level 4 piston versions. But Saints don't seem to be going down in cost.

Might just await the XTR 4-pots. Not in any hurry because my current brakes (203f/180r) don't exactly leave me wanting, I simply want MOAR!

Hope you heal quickly & completely and that you're able to post a Saint review soon.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am thinking of having a 29 wheeltset. Although i love my 27,5+. What do you think on a 29 DT SWISS 1900 with Minion DHF 2.3 or 2.5 in the front and Agressor 2.3 in the back?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post

I want to get some 4-pots to replace my 2-pot XTRs and have been waiting for Saints to get cheap since Shimano introduced XT- & Deore-level 4 piston versions. But Saints don't seem to be going down in cost.

Thanks all for the well wishes, I'm on week 3 and already have had multiple dreams about getting back on the bike.

A couple bikes I demo'd had Saints, can't be beat. FC once said a great bike component is one you never have to think about. That's what I get from these brakes. I also liked the Hope's (e4) but was able to get the shimano's cheaper and faster.

I encourage trying the 29'er. I've ridden the 27.5+ version, while its cool to have that tractor feeling its just not as fast or stable at speed.

Once my DHR goes I'm going for the new 2.5 aggressor. Really like the 2.5 DHF WT on the front.

Had time to do a 50sec bike check

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnwtYdhH...y=arctic_pride

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yesterday was my first good ride back, shoulder felt fine all day, legs however are lacking endurance. I thought I had been doing a pretty good amount of off bike training to jump back in but nothing sub's saddle time.

Brakes were great, consistent bite point, consistent power, no fading. Definitely need to do the velcro trick heard the rattle.

couple clips

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpxy9JEH...on_share_sheet