Yet ANOTHER Rohloff question, por favor...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    No problem at all. Search here for latte_hardtail's Niner Rohloff build. You just need to use a Speedbone and the OEM 2 plate (I think) if you have IS disc mounts and you can use either disc or rim brakes with that set up (provided your frame has either brake mount). I think you'll still need to use the torque arm if you don't have IS disc mounts on your frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Yet ANOTHER Rohloff question, por favor...

I've always entertained the idea of getting a Rohloff hub to simplify shifting and as a committed single-speeder (at least until my knees blow out), have fallen in love with the clean lines of a bike without derailleurs and all the other extra bits. I'm building a Gunnar Ruffian 29er with an EBB (posting pics next week!) and was wondering how complicated is it and/or is it possible to bolt a Rohloff onto a single-speed frame with vertical dropouts. I'm sure there would be some kind of brake issue (i.e. disc vs. rim), but other than that, am I asking too much?

Got Twins?

I was just reading the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    No problem at all. Search here for latte_hardtail's Niner Rohloff build. You just need to use a Speedbone and the OEM 2 plate (I think) if you have IS disc mounts and you can use either disc or rim brakes with that set up (provided your frame has either brake mount). I think you'll still need to use the torque arm if you don't have IS disc mounts on your frame.
    Here's the thread (you may need to paste it)...I was looking at the the Rohloff for the same reasons. I'm looking at putting this on a SIR 9 which I just built.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=rohloff+niner

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Wurd

Thanks, all. I haven't even finished building my new single-speed bike and I'm already contemplating my next. It's a sickness.

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyoxygen
    ...was wondering how complicated is it and/or is it possible to bolt a Rohloff onto a single-speed frame with vertical dropouts. I'm sure there would be some kind of brake issue (i.e. disc vs. rim), but other than that, am I asking too much?
    I don't use disc brakes, so if you have the option to use rim brakes I believe my set-up to be the cheapest, lightest, and cleanest available (although "cheap" and "light" are not usually terms associated with a Rohloff hub). If you need disc brakes, consider only a front disc (where almost all your braking power is concentrated) and use a V-brake in back -- that allows you the cleanest, least expensive, and lightest Rohloff option (the OEM2 axle torque plate engaging a peg on the disc brake mount).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Looks good...

Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    I don't use disc brakes, so if you have the option to use rim brakes I believe my set-up to be the cheapest, lightest, and cleanest available
    ...a lot less busy than with all the extra stuff distorting the lines and weighing the back down (even more, that is). Have you noticed any delay/sloppiness in shifting without having the cable housing running all the way to the hub? and how does that salsa skewer do in the way of keeping the hub from moving (heard they don't hold very well). Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

sloppy cables

...Have you noticed any delay/sloppiness in shifting without having the cable housing running all the way to the hub?
    I have my cable housing running all the way to the hub. When I first got the hub (used) I just put it on my bike. There was a little slop in the shifting. After following Rohloff instructions for terminating the cable in the shifter box, the shifts are significantly improved. Set it up yourself. It really is quite easy. If you have any questions, there are many on this board who will help. You will really enjoy the Rolhoff. Yes it is pricey, but you will spend hours less adjusting your drivetrain. The $$$ is worth it.

Occasionally engagedů
    Have you noticed any delay/sloppiness in shifting without having the cable housing running all the way to the hub?
    If you are not using the shifter box, which is only necessary with disc brakes, then you have to have a "cable stop" (not actually what it is, but I"ll use it for want of a better term), and for my set-up it's located on the rear V-brake. The quick connectors for the cables needs some distance to move during the shifter process. Absolutely no delay at all in comparison to a regular derailleur set-up, and I would use the term "instantaneous" to describe the shifting. I have no experience with any other Rohloff set-up, but its hard for me to believe it could be any faster.

...and how does that salsa skewer do in the way of keeping the hub from moving (heard they don't hold very well).
    No problems for me, but realize the wheel is in vertical dropouts.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Members who have read this thread: 0