Yet another KM vs GF thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Yet another KM vs GF thread

Sorry guys, but I have to ask. The LBS has their X-Caliber and Paragons in and I am FINALLY set to go get one. I am tall, 6'5, with a 34 inch inseam, but a long torso. I have always thought that the long TT of the GF would be ideal for me. However, since the KM has such a cult-like following in here, I would like to ask those of you who had the same decision in here what helped make their decision? The two places around here who actually will build up a monkey do not have any to even show me, so please understand my uncertainty. Lastly, about how much does an average KM cost, with similar componentry to the GF? Thanks.

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by VACowboy
    Sorry guys, but I have to ask. The LBS has their X-Caliber and Paragons in and I am FINALLY set to go get one. I am tall, 6'5, with a 34 inch inseam, but a long torso. I have always thought that the long TT of the GF would be ideal for me. However, since the KM has such a cult-like following in here, I would like to ask those of you who had the same decision in here what helped make their decision? The two places around here who actually will build up a monkey do not have any to even show me, so please understand my uncertainty. Lastly, about how much does an average KM cost, with similar componentry to the GF? Thanks.
    Even with the relatively cheap KM frame/fork at $430 MSRP, you'll never build it up with similar parts for as cheaply as you can get the RIG.

I would look to your intended uses as a guide as well. Are you a SS man till you die, or are you stuck between geared and SS? IE, the RIG will be SS only, while the KM will go either way...

KM also offers a bit more ability to customize your ride, and not have a stamped out factory ride....

But they're both great possibilities...
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Even with the relatively cheap KM frame/fork at $430 MSRP, you'll never build it up with similar parts for as cheaply as you can get the RIG.

I would look to your intended uses as a guide as well. Are you a SS man till you die, or are you stuck between geared and SS? IE, the RIG will be SS only, while the KM will go either way...

KM also offers a bit more ability to customize your ride, and not have a stamped out factory ride....

But they're both great possibilities...
    Thanks man. I am going to go geared, call it habit from my road bike experience. I have a lot of hills here and may need them. The X-Cal is about 1200, and that is pushing my range, but I may be able to go a bit higher. This will be my first MTB, and only one for a while.

featherweight clydesdale
    Thanks man. I am going to go geared, call it habit from my road bike experience. I have a lot of hills here and may need them. The X-Cal is about 1200, and that is pushing my range, but I may be able to go a bit higher. This will be my first MTB, and only one for a while.
    Heavy cheap steel v/s light weight quality alum. This shouldn't be a question IMO. I've ridden both as well and was more impressed by the Fisher. You want a little compliance in the rear end, get a ti seat post or a thudbuster.

Now where did I put that bowl of monkey brain soup?

mtbr member
    I am about you same size. I too am 6'5" with a 35" inseam (34 pant size). I purchased a Seven Sola 29" from a guy and thought is was going to be to big with a 22" frame and 25" TT but with an H bar and 120 stem it is perfect. It is also for sale if you are interested as I have a Jeff Jones on order and this was a "triall" bike for me.

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I'm not as tall as you, but I like the KM better. I owned a '02 SuperCal for a year, which I recently borrowed for an endurance race with a lot of road. A week later I built the KM, and I'm shocked. I'd never have sold the the GF if it rode this well. I'd take the rigid KM over my blinged out 23.5 pound SuperCal anyday. The build on the KM is no slowch, but still 25.5 pounds. The KM is so much nimbler, the GF rode like a crew cab long bed truck.

My.02

mtbr member

just do the math...

I made the decision a few years ago, and I think I can help YOU to answer YOUR question yourself.

first--how much time do you have? and can you build it up yourself?

next just do the math on the monkey for new equivalent parts
    KM frame--$425
    bonti superstock wheels--$250
    avid bbdb brakes--$175
    cc & bonti headset, stem, bars-->$100
    reba fork--$500

subtotal $1450
    ...and you still don't have a drivetrain, seat, post, tires, tubes, grips, cables!

Now if you are patient and watch this board for mtbclassified spam notices, the auctions, check ncj01's website, and you are okay with used parts and you have plenty of time to piece and part your bike together you might get close to $1200. Another thing is that if you are going to buy all or most of the parts from your lbs, they will probably build it for free and you will have far better service when you screw something up. But you are gonna pay a premium for it.

Both of these bike will work for you size wise--I think that your bigger question is more about bang for the buck--Do I want a turnkey, brand new bike that is a heck of a deal, that I can ride this weekend? OR do I want a project that could take at least another couple weeks, for a bike I can't quite afford, that I won't be able to test ride?

you still may have to swap stuff out after a while (I tend to swap stuff after I break them)

If I were you, and I could get a good fit out of the in stock X-Cal, I think you can't really go wrong. You have been thinking about this for about 6 months. Get out and ride.

Last edited by shark67; 02-09-2005 at 08:43 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

Recovering couch patato
    Whatever you do, don't let the LBS talk you into a Large Fisher, get an XL for sure!
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Sep 2004
    You can certainly build up a quality monkey for 1200 bucks. That's what mine set me back, and I have no complaints. Use the stock fork, you're not looking for suspension, are you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks guys! Some great thoughts. I would not do suspension forks on the monkey, but I do like the Reba on the GF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I am pissed! The kid at the LBS was mistaken and only had a large in each the Paragon and the X-Cal. I said, no biggie, I will just try to order one. He leaves a message today that they are sold out and back ordered. Man, can't catch a break.

mtbr member

actually order it

The GF 29ers have been pretty scarce. I would just actually order the bike. Unless you have to put down a whole ton of money up front. I told my lbs right before xmas that I was pretty sure that I would buy an xl Rig if one showed up at the shop. I asked if he had any coming in, and he hadn't ordered ANY. I gotta think that most shops are small small business and can't make too many $1000 mistakes. Thus if you want to make something happen, you gotta put in some face time, spend a little scratch, let them know you are serious, and actually order the bike you want. They won't order stuff they don't know will sell. If you gotta put a few $$ down to make them know you are serious, most bike shops worth their salt will let you spend it elsewhere in case it doesn't fit or whatever. good luck
    Don't get stuck on stupid!