Yes, another which bike should I get question?!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Yes, another which bike should I get question?!

First let me say thank you as I have been reading everyones feedback regarding other questions like mine. I will try to keep it short; I have been riding a road bike for over 20 years and have been riding a Mountain Bike for about 2 years and I want to get better at it, i.e., climbing, technical trails where I live, etc., but my bike is full supension and I don't know how to explain it, but I just don't like it... Anyway I want to buy a hardtail 29er and I have it down to these 2 bikes:
    2012 Marin CRX 29er 22" Carbon Hardtail Mountain Bike Fox 32 Shimano SLX New | eBay

or

GT Zaskar Cabon Niner Expert 29er - Giantnerd®

Yes, both are carbon frames and are the same price.

I want a 2 x 10 like the GT, but Marin seems like they just might make a better bike and I could always upgrade/change it to a 2X10 later.

Any input is welcomed AND appreciated.

Thanks

DMills
    Apr 2012
    I ride with a guy who is a mechanic in a LBS that pimped out his Marin and it's a beast (it's now a 2x10, carbon wheelset with Chris King hub, etc)...his shop sells Marin, Orbea, Scott, and Specialized and he chose Marin for a plethora of reasons. The frame on that bike is really nice. I admittedly do not know all that much about the Zaskar but the obvious bit of advice is ride and see which fits better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks, but therein lies the problem, no one locally sells either so I am purchasing without riding either, that's why I was asking for help.
    I have only test ridden a Stumpjumper carbon at a lbs, nice, but but too much money to spend right now while I'm still "new" and falling frequently.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you do a lot of technical riding maybe you would like something like a trek Stache 8 with 120mm travel and a slacker HTA. I just took a quick look so i don't know if anyone else makes anything similar but just a thought. If you are doing most xc trail i'm sure the above will fit the bill.

DMills
    Apr 2012
    In that price range you do have some other options...e.g., the Giant XTC (you can find the bike for under 2k XTC Composite 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States )

Marin is a solid brand, can't go wrong with it. I'm personally not a GT fan (no longer built in the US, their entry carbon frame is rigid). The CRX is nicely equipped and the geometry is similar to hardtail 29ers in that price range. I like that Giant a lot as it's a great handling bike that will allow you to grow as your riding develops. The Giant also uses XT/SLX versus X9/X0 (I prefer the new Shimano parts). The AVID brakes are also a problem on the Marin...I'd upgrade those before I left the store. Giant comes with SLX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Guess I made a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by DMills View Post
    In that price range you do have some other options...e.g., the Giant XTC (you can find the bike for under 2k XTC Composite 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States )

Marin is a solid brand, can't go wrong with it. I'm personally not a GT fan (no longer built in the US, their entry carbon frame is rigid). The CRX is nicely equipped and the geometry is similar to hardtail 29ers in that price range. I like that Giant a lot as it's a great handling bike that will allow you to grow as your riding develops. The Giant also uses XT/SLX versus X9/X0 (I prefer the new Shimano parts). The AVID brakes are also a problem on the Marin...I'd upgrade those before I left the store. Giant comes with SLX.
    P
    i was looking at bikes for a while and royal distributing had a Marin on sale for $1899 reg $4200 but I don't know a lot about bike so I was hesitant on buying it, a few weeks later I found myself at a bike shop and walked out with a gaint xtc 29er for $2000