This Yelli has to be brilliant to be better than my Giant TXC29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

This Yelli has to be brilliant to be better than my Giant TXC29

Spent a lot of time on the Giant this week. Damn i just LOVE the bike.

But i had to try a Yelli, which is currently on it's way.

I'm struggling to work out where the Yelli will actually be better than the Giant for me though. Sure, it will go DH way better, but 90% of my riding is XC nothing more complex.

I'm still planning on building the Yelli, but don't see myself selling the Giant until the Yelli has had a very thorough testing and decisions all made.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yelli and TranceX 29 seem like two completely different bikes. Thus it makes sense to keep both under the n+1 rule.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The Yelli climbs AND descends very well The short rearend tucks under you and has awesome traction. Also, the wheelbase isn't necessarily shorter than the TXC29 but all your weight is set further back on the bike so handling is really snappy despite the slack front end. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    Yelli and TranceX 29 seem like two completely different bikes. Thus it makes sense to keep both under the n+1 rule.
    he meant XTC29. Might be lysdexic...he's posted pics of it in a few threads.

Slight threadjack, but a friend just cracked his second XTC frame in 11 months. No more Giant for him (or me...) no matter how good a bike is, it has to last more than 6 months.
    Ride.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy View Post
    but a friend just cracked his second XTC frame in 11 months. No more Giant for him (or me...) no matter how good a bike is, it has to last more than 6 months.
    How heavy was this friend?
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Slight threadjack, but a friend just cracked his second XTC frame in 11 months. No more Giant for him (or me...) no matter how good a bike is, it has to last more than 6 months.
    Good thing Giant doesn't make frames for anyone else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

XTC? So a pure XC bike and an AM hardtail. Still follows the n+1 rule

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    XTC? So a pure XC bike and an AM hardtail. Still follows the n+1 rule
    Agreed, it does to an extent. However space dictates that 2 bikes is really pushing things. One is more likely.

I'm very much looking forward to finding out

p.s I've had the Giant over 12 months and i'm what you boys refer to as a Clyde i guess... i've done everything on it.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    How heavy was this friend?
    Dunno. He's tall, but a skinny XC kinda guy,
    Ride.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Good thing Giant doesn't make frames for anyone else.
    Genius. You really think that whoever welds a frame is more important than the design? Thanks for clearing that up.

I am going to guess that there's a reason no other company specs a teeny tiny little top tube diameter at the TT-ST junction.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've been riding a XTC for about 10 months, and wish you good luck in finding a better XC frame.

I'd like a Yelli for a second bike thou, so I really want to read this review .

Now, I ride a Fargo as my all purpose bike. It has the longest stays I know of, it turns like a barge in tight singletrack but climbs and decends very well for a rigid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weeksy950 View Post
    Spent a lot of time on the Giant this week. Damn i just LOVE the bike.

But i had to try a Yelli, which is currently on it's way.

I'm struggling to work out where the Yelli will actually be better than the Giant for me though. Sure, it will go DH way better, but 90% of my riding is XC nothing more complex.

I'm still planning on building the Yelli, but don't see myself selling the Giant until the Yelli has had a very thorough testing and decisions all made.

So most of your riding is XC. Do you plan to race? Or are you just out for fun and exercise?
    I've ridden both bikes, and currently own a Yelli. I live on the east coast of Canada, so most of my riding is on very rooty, rocky, tight XC trails.
    The Canfield is a more aggressive trail bike with slacker angles overall when compared to the XTC. It's a very versatile frame and does a great job on everything I throw at it. I would suggest putting a 140mm fork on it, so you can really get a feel for how great it can be compared to a 100mm XC bike.

I still surprise myself at the speed you can hit lines with the Canfield. It's very confidence inspiring. You really can't sit back and ride this bike though lines, it's built to be an aggressive bike for an aggressive rider. Pick your line and attack the trail.

The XTC is a different beast. It's an XC racebike, so it's light, fast and accelerates much quicker than the Yelli. I would say they are both comparable climbers, but I find the Yelli is better for climbing out of the saddle, and the XTC better for sitting and spinning up. Most of the top XC racers in my local club are racing on XTCs this year and are doing very well, so they must be great bikes.

Bottom line is they are both awsome bikes and I really think it will come down to personal preference and riding style.

Please tell me you bought a black Yelli Screamy. Everyone knows they are the fastest.

mtbr member
    Hi mate,

I love to race... and love to race at a decent level, however i'm overweight, 40 and not as quick as the lightweights. I've done a few races, although this was on my Commencal Meta and didn't do very well at all, i don't expect i'd do hugely better on the 29er (maybe a bit though as my fitness is better and so is my skill levels). So, 99% of my riding is purely for pleasure. I'd say my day to day trails are more XC than yours even, less rooty, less techincal and less difficult, however there are the occasional jaunts to more interesting places, but admittedly they are few and far between.

Sadly, i have a purple Yelli, it was bought used and that's simply what came up. They're ridiculous money in the UK, so you sort of have to take what you can get so to speak.

For now, i'm going to have to try it with 100mm forks, as that's what i can strip off the Giant for testing. If i keep the Yelli longer term then i may indeed throw 140's in there. But i'm having some doubts i must admit after more riding on the Giant as it really really does suit me and my riding style.

However, i have to get the Yelli out of my system either way and either love it or dismiss it..

mtbr member
    Right there, you've set the Yelli to FAIL! The bike is designed to run a minimum 120mm fork and even up to a 140mm as JoshM recommended. Riding it with a 100mm fork you'll experience low BB and commensurate pedals strikes and steep angles. Never ridden a Yelli, but own a V1 Paradox and the 1 ride I tried it qith a 100mm fork and then went to 120mm TA was all I needed to know not to ever run a fork shorter than 120mm on a bike like that.

..................For now, i'm going to have to try it with 100mm forks, as that's what i can strip off the Giant for testing. If i keep the Yelli longer term then i may indeed throw 140's in there. But i'm having some doubts i must admit after more riding on the Giant as it really really does suit me and my riding style.

However, i have to get the Yelli out of my system either way and either love it or dismiss it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Loads of owners on here seem to run it happily with 100mm forks.

I have just put in an offer on a set of 140 Marzocchi's which i should find out about in the next few hours.

But if you read the Yelli thread... loads of people are running them at 100 honestly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Right there, you've set the Yelli to FAIL! The bike is designed to run a minimum 120mm fork and even up to a 140mm as JoshM recommended. Riding it with a 100mm fork you'll experience low BB and commensurate pedals strikes and steep angles. Never ridden a Yelli, but own a V1 Paradox and the 1 ride I tried it qith a 100mm fork and then went to 120mm TA was all I needed to know not to ever run a fork shorter than 120mm on a bike like that.
    I don't agree. I owned a Yelli which I ran with 120mm forks which was great; I'm sure 140 would be great in some circumstances too.

However I have a Nimble 9 (same geo) which I run with rigid forks. I do get the odd pedal strike but the handling is great for singletrack. Canfield say minimum 80mm for both frames. It depends on the type of riding you do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'd like to add that I've had a 26'er Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail, a 2010 26'er Specialized Epic S-works, a Niner SIR9 and a Yelli Screamy as far as hardtail/XC bikes go. The Yelli is hands down the better climber, the better descender (with a 120mm Reba) and the better all around grin inducing bike I've owned. I also have a 5 Spot and unless it's a chunkier trail, the Yelli is the first choice. Always.

mtbr member
    Well, i've now sorted all the parts for the full Yelli build

Starting at the top and working down.
    Ritchey Carbon Superlogic bars
    NC-17 lock on grips
    Deore rear shifter
    Formula K24 brakes
    Kona Primo DH stem 50mm
    E-13 SRS Plus Chainguide
    Deore crank running a 32T
    SLX sprocket
    Formula 180 rotors front/rear
    WTB Laserdisc 29er wheels
    Marzocchi Ti 44 140mm forks
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 rubber front/rear

mtbr member
    IMO the Yelli is the travel adjust fork king, 140 and 110 both work very well and the bike loves em both according to circumstance, two bikes in one, what more can you ask for?

mtbr member
    Well my Yelli is available for me to collect in about 2 hours !!!!

Sadly, i was HAMMERED by customs, even though a 2nd hand frame, Customs charges total of 112. !!!!

Won't be able to complete the build tonight as i've not got any forks until tomorrow. LOL. But i should have it 99% built today with a bit of luck.

mtbr member
    I now have a Yelli

one thing that really irritates me is that it's dirty.... i can't understand how people sell things dirty.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's life in the Common Wealth I guess
    Well my Yelli is available for me to collect in about 2 hours !!!!
    Sadly, i was HAMMERED by customs, even though a 2nd hand frame, Customs charges total of 112. !!!!.
    The guy shipped you a dirty frame, seriously? I'd have to send an e-mail and b1tch about that, I mean how long does it take to clean up a frame once a bike is stripped down and seriously, who strips down a bike dirty? Going by this, I'd take a careful check over the entire frame and see that there are no cracks and dents you were not made aware of, because this sort of lack of caring must extend to the overall care of this persons stuff - I wouldn't trust someone who sent me a dirty frame to not be trying to hide something with the dirt.
    I now have a Yelli
    one thing that really irritates me is that it's dirty.... i can't understand how people sell things dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    i'll put up a few pics.. it's only generic dirt dust/mess.. but I'm bemused, it would have taken him less than 5 mins with some furniture polish and it would look 100 times better

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Furniture polish !?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    Furniture polish !?
    yeah... you don't use that ?

I use furniture polish on just about everything that needs cleaning, unless it needs lubing... then it's GT-85.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I use furniture polish on just about everything that needs cleaning, unless it needs lubing... then it's GT-85.
    Its never really crossed my mind as something to give a shine and help the muck come off! I used some car wax on my old orange five frame but the results weren't worth the hassle. Will have to give Mr Sheen a try

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunzl View Post
    Its never really crossed my mind as something to give a shine and help the muck come off! I used some car wax on my old orange five frame but the results weren't worth the hassle. Will have to give Mr Sheen a try
    Asda polish is fine and 50% of the cost of Mr Sheen.

Asda also do 6 small microfibre cloths for 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Asda polish is fine and 50% of the cost of Mr Sheen.

Asda also do 6 small microfibre cloths for 3
    Cheers, will give it a try.

mtbr member
    Well the build is going swimmingly.
    Fitted Crankset, E-13 SRS plus, rear XT mech, Rear Wheel, disc adaptors, seat-clamp and seatpost.

Used a spare chain to check chainlines and fitted the 2.35 Hans Dampf to make sure i have tyre clearance too.

Forks don't arrive until tomorrow so without them the build is kinds stuck for a bit as i can't fit gear cables, brakes etc as there's nothing to hang them on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ^^^^Looking really good! Cant wait to see the finished product!

Members who have read this thread: 0